YesNoOk

Preset arcade matches? (Read 12722 times)

Started by DingusMB, May 12, 2018, 04:34:34 pm
Share this topic:
Preset arcade matches?
#1  May 12, 2018, 04:34:34 pm
  • Déjà vu, mayhap—have you been here as well?
Can I make it so a character faces off an specific opponent on each fight during the arcade? So I can make a "pseudo-story mode"?
If not are there other, more bothersome ways to do it? Thanks in advance
Re: Preset arcade matches?
#2  May 12, 2018, 04:44:43 pm
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
it's simple:

open the select.def file, put in a character name, put in a stage name that fits said character, then put in order=

i hope that helps you to do that
#3  May 12, 2018, 07:12:56 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
He's asking if he can create character-specific arcade ladders, which unfortunately isn't possible. The alternative would be something like Mugen Story Mode, but that'd require a lot of effort.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#4  May 12, 2018, 10:11:01 pm
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
#5  May 12, 2018, 10:58:14 pm
    • USA
Use Ikemen. In the select it looks something like..

Chris, 1=Gai,2=Marco,3=Leona,4=Yamazaki,5=kfma4a/kfma4a2.def,6=Iori,7=Kyo,8=Goenitz,9=Rugal

So it's preset to each character individually so every character can have their own unique ladder.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#6  May 13, 2018, 04:40:18 am
Oh, thanks for the replies!
Well, the only way I think it would be possible then is several AI-only characters on the arcade that transform based on what you picked, but that would be a bitch to make, right?
If you guys have any idea how it works, can it change the sprite that appears during the "loading" screen for each fight? So it looks legit if I can make it work during the fight?
#7  May 13, 2018, 10:36:51 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
You'd have to do something silly like making the versus screen part of the fight itself, since the portrait is hard-coded by the screenpack and you can only have one of that group/index per sprite file, though that comes with the issue of it being skippable along with the intros. If you were aiming for a self-contained full game with a fixed roster, then I suppose the effort would be warranted, but not if it's just your personal build with any random assortment of characters.

The other issue with having multiple characters within one character is that you can only have one set of hit sprites under the standard groups/indexes, so putting them into a custom state via a grab would cause them to visually change to the character represented by those hit sprites. Again, this can be worked around if this is a full game where each character is designed to interact specifically with each other.

The easy alternative would be to use IKEMEN (GO) Plus, but that's a different engine with its own learning curve.

#8  May 13, 2018, 05:31:00 pm
Oh, thanks! MUGEN characters can just be ported to Ikemen, right? After I finish them I could maybe use it.
Do you have any experience with Ikemen? Is it possible to do the "story mode" thing on it?
#9  May 13, 2018, 08:52:24 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
Most characters will work with IKEMEN without any modification. I don't have much experience with IKEMEN outside of playing it, though you might find luck asking for assistance on the IKEMEN board.