YesNoOk

The King of Fighters Excel (Read 26986 times)

Started by Niitris, December 26, 2011, 11:12:10 am
Share this topic:
The King of Fighters Excel
#1  December 26, 2011, 11:12:10 am
The King of Fighters Excel (KoF-X for short) is a full game idea that I have and is something I've been re-developing... again. This time, I'm trying to make the game more reminiscent of the older titles but with some modern touches. Because of this, the game has been redesigned into something quite different than originally planned (and shown).

Information (subject to change):
  • This game will not have a huge character count (including bosses, somewhere in the 20s).
  • Because of the limitations of character choices that teams would make, there will not be "pre-set teams."
  • Most all of the expected KoF sub-systems will be present (hopping, rolling, emergency attack/evade, etc).
  • Both Run & Forward Dash will be available at the same time.
  • There will be no story (I only want to focus on the fighting. If someone is interested in adding a story down the line, I don't mind).
  • Just Defense (MotW) will be present. Recovery time is slightly quicker, no increase in health.
  • There will be Chain Combos now (inspired from the Rumble Fish, obscure fighter that I really like).
  • EX Moves will be present.
  • There will be 2 levels of hypers: (S)DMs and XDMs (MAX-only moves).
  • Super Canceling will be present. Does not require gauge.
  • Excel Attack allows you to cancel a chain combo into another chain (requires 1 power stock).
  • Throw Cancels are present. Cancel a command throw into a free state to start an attack or combo (requires 1 power stock).
  • Excel Cancels (inspired from Guilty Gear's Roman Cancels) allow for canceling a special move's recovery frames (requires 1 power stock). Not all moves have this.
  • Stagger cancels allow for breaking out of a stagger state (requires 1 stock).
  • Excel Provocation is a taunt that takes a power stock. After this taunt, the next hit by either player is enhanced.
    • If the player hits, the opponent loses extra damage and/or are staggered.
    • If the player is hit, they lose extra damage and/or are staggered.
  • Every fighter will be color separated (won't be anything elaborate though).
  • There is no air guard.
  • The fighting is not designed to be juggle-heavy. Staggers replace juggles (of course there are exceptions).
  • Velocities, frame data, and other small things probably won't be 100% faithful to the source (I'll get it as close as possible); I'm sure it's okay as long as it looks right.
  • The characters will be released outside the full game.

Current roster :
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Questions/comments/suggestions/criticisms are all welcome. If you have any ideas that you think would make this better, feel free.
Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 04:43:27 pm by Niitris
Re: The King of Fighters Excel (Full Game Concept)
#2  March 01, 2012, 07:04:15 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
That is a whole lot for one system! Are you sure you can do this?
Re: The King of Fighters Excel (Full Game Concept)
#3  March 02, 2012, 01:04:53 am
It actually wasn't that difficult to put in most of the stuff in; I'm having more trouble with the stun and guard and other full game exclusive coding (maybe it's because I've only been focusing on features that will be in the public releases). I want to make sure the coding for the system is exactly where I want it so that adding fighters is a plug in process.
Re: The King of Fighters Excel (Full Game Project)
#4  April 22, 2012, 02:52:19 pm
Finally out of Idea Engineering.
Update video. After about 3 months, I'm finally making some real progress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUhmQFaXnUs

All characters was coded from scratch.

More details on The King of Fighters Excel.

• I'm not aiming for source accuracy. Why? Because professionals can make mistakes too (especially when you have a 52 week deadline for a new game in your series every year). I want to fix what I believe those mistakes are. Also, it limits imagination.
  • This project isn't about making a lot of characters in one fighting system, but it's more about taking the characters and improving upon them whether it be their moves, mannerisms, fighting style, etc. All characters are (supposedly) unique, and should be approached as such.
  • Animation and sprite placement is being improved from the source games (by animation, I don't mean number of frames, but the overall presentation of movement).
  • This is "old style fighting" with a new generation flair (or is it the other way around?). Anyway, despite the game being rather combo heavy, KofX emphasizes defense more than anything, as damage scaling is almost non-existent and one mistake can REALLY change the fight. Because of this, there will likely be no stun/dizzy feature (subject to change).
  • As stated above, all fighters will be color separated; this is because it looks better. To be more elaborate, 2D sprite games (with 16-color characters) should have took this direction around the late 90s/early 00s in my opinion. This would have gave them some kind of visual improvement and extended life.
  • All characters will be released for public MUGEN.

With a system more or less in place, I'm pretty much just programming characters into this system now.
#5  April 22, 2012, 03:21:06 pm
    • USA
That is quite a new take on The King of Fighters, Niitris.
#6  April 22, 2012, 09:26:59 pm
It kind of is.

I'm mostly centering this game around the characters rather than the system itself. The fighting system is going to be decent at the very least (it will be better than decent), so I'm not too concerned about that. But any fighter becomes more (or sometimes less) appealing when their individuality is carved out. Making the fighters different from one another, even if it's just changing a property of a move or two, can make a difference in doing that.

Also, I feel that a lot of today's fighters lack the ouch factor of prior games because moves don't take enough damage. I believe a roundhouse kick should hurt like one no matter what part of the combo you're in. If any move/combo is powerful enough, it will make someone "think twice" before recklessly trying to attack. It could result in a few fighters being broken (that won't happen), but if everyone can be that dangerous, then everyone will have a tool or two that makes them an appealing option.

Basically, the characters are the ones I'm putting the most thought into. If anyone has ideas on other things I can add to them, fell free to post them.
#7  April 23, 2012, 12:00:07 am
I like how there are high damage combos, but I see regular, high damage combos for no meter doing the same as ones that do take meter.
The only one where this wasn't the case was with that combo into a super.

Anyway, loving the project, good luck bro.
#8  May 07, 2012, 06:14:19 am
    • Mexico
I think you might want to consider putting a little more damage scaling in the system. Terry took around 35% of Kyo's life with 2 normals and one EX move
#9  August 28, 2012, 06:10:30 pm
@Balloon & PTRTODD101
Yeah, I'm still working on that damage scaling issue.

Another video; it's nothing that special though. Just a showing of each character's SDM.

Beta releases of the first 6 characters will be in the next couple of days. Currently have work started on the next 6 characters as well as the first boss.
Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:16:52 pm by Niitris
#10  August 28, 2012, 06:28:05 pm
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
Honestly, I think dash/run would work better as "Double-tap forward for dash, double-tap and hold forward for run" like some of Jmorphman's characters. That way you won't accidentally dash when you're attacking out of a block. Also, don't you mean KOF 13 when you say Drive Canceling? Oh well, I'm curious to see what you cook up. Following this thread for sure.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#11  August 28, 2012, 07:40:22 pm
@ C.A.N

For fwd dash, I wanted to try something different. Since there's a three frame delay in running and fwd dash, changing it could work.
Right, drive canceling is XIII. 2K2 only had HD cancels (which is kind of the same thing, but having to be in HD mode).
#12  August 28, 2012, 07:42:19 pm
  • tired
Yeah, I really hate mixing up inputs and leaving myself open. Back-to-forward for dash is just that, leaving you open. You might want to clean up your description of drive canceling and make it say KOF XIII so people don't get mixed up. I've got high hopes for this project, any word on who the bosses'll be?
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#13  August 28, 2012, 07:55:25 pm
Rugal will certainly be one of them (rather easy guess), but he's not the one I started on. I'll say that the bosses in this will be balanced characters that don't look like they're hideously broken and that's all I can say on that.
#14  August 28, 2012, 08:00:15 pm
  • tired
Hm, maybe you could make separate boss and selectable versions of the bosses. Balanced for playable, broken for bosses. It's just not SNK bosses without being hideously broken, eh?
#15  August 29, 2012, 03:23:33 am
    • USA
MAy I suggest a new boss for this game?
#16  August 29, 2012, 02:57:43 pm
Very bad news.

My harddrive failed on me and there's no way I can access it at this time. Unless I can somehow get the data that's on the harddrive, I may have to outright cancel this project. I can only hope for the best at this point. :(
#17  January 15, 2013, 07:10:36 pm
The King of Fighters Excel is back in development.

I never got my data back, but I decided to restart the project anyway (unfortunately, I have to recode a lot of the moves). I'm currently working the common snd and fx and started coding the (six confirmed) fighter's basic attacks. I do plan to release the characters outside the full game.
#18  January 15, 2013, 10:36:22 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
good luck bro and maybe you will learn from your mistake and your game will be better
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#19  January 15, 2013, 11:30:16 pm
    • USA
The best thing about starting fresh is that you can improve on ideas that you have or had.
#20  January 17, 2013, 04:23:24 am
  • tired
The best thing about starting fresh is that you can improve on ideas that you have or had.
That's not the only time you can improve on ideas. --;
Aside from that, great to know you're back. If you ever need testers, I'm available.
Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 04:28:00 am by C.A.N