YesNoOk

Need a tool for nullDC sprite ripping (Read 130856 times)

Started by Slivern, March 02, 2018, 10:36:33 am
Share this topic:
Need a tool for nullDC sprite ripping
#1  March 02, 2018, 10:36:33 am
  • WE ARE NESTS: THE NEW WORLD ORDER
    • USA
I used to rely on print screen just to rip palette colors from KoF '99 Evo, but with newer versions of Windows, this is not reliable anymore. The image is captured as a JPG which prevents me from having pixel-precise eyedropper colors.

I need a sprite ripping tool for this reason, although I'd like to try my hand ripping the rest Kyo SP's sprites out and resume development on making him for MUGEN. I don't know what people currently use right now, and I'm uncertain if there is existing, up to date documentation or video tutorials left.

Much appreciated.
Re: Need a tool for nullDC sprite ripping
#2  March 02, 2018, 11:29:57 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA

You may want to check my Rival Schools thread out. I'm not exactly sure how much info is in there about how I ripped my sprites. But it may help more than just this reply.

Basically N. helped me get a bunch of CheatEngine codes to lock things down so I could use MWSnap, and eventually Bandicam to rip images. I used MWSnap doing my BrawlBox stuff. Bandicam worked well enough. I can automatically snap and save the screen where ever you want. I believe I saved as png.  The fact that I controlled how often it snapped an image helped a lot too. I just did each move 3x and got all the frames doubled.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#3  March 03, 2018, 12:48:57 am
    • USA
Do you use a different operating system other than Windows 7 now, or do you still use Windows 7 specifically for the purpose of ripping? I've only been able to get the quality sprites I wanted through Windows 7. If any else here have ripped sprites or images in Windows 8 or 10, can you guys tell me about your experience doing so?

EDiT: also please don't marked this as solved yet. I need to get as much information as I can to resolve issues I may encounter later. Thanks.
Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 12:54:02 am by Slivern
#4  March 03, 2018, 11:47:39 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA

Oh I'm holding out with Windows 7 as long as possible. No way am I "upgrading" to 8, and 10 is almost as bad. To me there are 0 reasons to switch and dozens not to.
#5  March 05, 2018, 07:41:54 am
    • USA
Thanks for your reply, thankfully Windows 7 laptops can run nullDC nicely, so I'll put aside some money to get a decent Windows 7 laptop later this year.

On a separate note, I need some help with Step 9 of the CheatEngine tutorial. I do the step just fine up until I get to databases. I can't find the offset which indicates which team Player 1, 2, 3 and 4 are a part of. Offset 0010 instead indicates something weird about Pointers.

Posted: March 23, 2018, 06:16:16 pm
Hey Odb, so I tried Bandicam and MWSnap and they both seem to be very handy tools. Before I ask you my question however, I figured out something: If you set your resolution to something lower than 1920x1080 such as 1600x900, you can get pixel-precise print screen images on Windows 8.1.

That said, is there a video player I can use to rip out the sprites? I tried making it easier for myself by using VLC but the sprites look rather blurry in the video player.
#6  March 26, 2018, 11:04:56 pm
  • WEB OF KAINE
    • Mexico
    • www.kaine.mugenimperiolatino.com
I could have helped, if I did not have problems with the graphics in Demul, sorry !!
#7  April 01, 2018, 08:23:15 am
    • USA
What's wrong with Demul? Looks like something I'd use anyway.
#8  April 01, 2018, 09:31:41 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA

I guess you could use print screen to rip the sprites but you'd have to go through a whole process.
I belive once I got the video saved I just used Irfanview to extract the frames. Options>Extract All Frames.

@Slivern: Sorry I missed your update.  <<< Next time use this method <<< and it'll alert me someone's mentioned my name.