YesNoOk

Use Fighter Factory 3 to make a palette fast (Read 29359 times)

Started by Odb718, December 27, 2016, 07:15:31 am
Share this topic:
Use Fighter Factory 3 to make a palette fast
#1  December 27, 2016, 07:15:31 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
This tutorial may get expanded, but I see a lot of people having a problem importing a sprite that isn't paletted in their character.
It's extremely easy to do with Fighter Factory 3. If you're making a character you should be using this tool. Here's a quick text version

Open your character and hit the PCX Icon to add another sprite. Name and import it. Save and Reopen your character.
Go to your new sprite, open Advanced Palette Editor and double click the first color. Change it's alpha to 255.
Drag your background color to the first box. Commit changes to the palette. Exit Advance Palette editor.
Hit the PCX Icon to add another sprite. Import the image but use Force the specified palette, and put in the palette number you just made.
Double click the palettes BG color and set it's alpha to 0.
Save your character.
You'll want to delete your original, messed up, image at some point. Dont delete it until the 2nd image is perfect.

Sometimes pics help so click the spoiler if you want a follow along with images.
Spoiler: Click each image to see it a little clearer (click to see content)

If you skip a step, like if you try to move the pink to the first spot and make it's alpha 0 before importing, it'll mess up.

If this was my first image of a TON of sprites that all use the same palette I'd only import 1 sprite. Once it was in and the palette worked perfect, Then I'd import ALL of the other sprites using FORCE the specified palette. As long as they used the exact same colors, they'd all work perfect. Even if they were missing a few of the colors.
Also, if this was my main palette for my character I'd NAME THE PALETTE 1,0 and save. Usually this will clear up some problems in 1.0/1.1 sff files.

Remember, you can get colorloss batch importing sprites using FORCE. You want to make sure this doesn't happen. If it does, delete the sprite from your character and repeat the process for that individual sprite.

Here are some other really useful Palette tutorials.
The Palette FAQ <<< Read this.
Compare mugen ssf and palette
Pots Color Separation
Bastard Mami Sprite Recolor
Palettes Easy Way <<This tutorial is a lot like mine. It's for an older tool/set up
Applying palettes to many sprites
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 04:17:58 am by Odb718
Re: Use Fighter Factory 3 to make a palette fast
#2  December 28, 2016, 04:18:29 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Spot filler. Going to show how to rearrange the palette to work with an existing sprite's palette.
#3  December 29, 2016, 03:08:45 am
    • USA
Do you mean the first color next to the checkered box? If it doesn't read 0, 0, 12, 0, should I still change it to 0, 0, 12, 255, or should I just change the last value to 255, or is there something else I need to do?
#4  December 29, 2016, 08:04:04 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
The checkered box is actually a color with it's alpha set for transparency. That color can be any color. That spot, the top left, is the spot Mugen picks for the background transparency color. (99.9% of the time)
You dont want to adjust the hue/color. Only adjust the Alpha. So the 4th number will either be a 0 or 255 in most cases. That blue-black, 0,0,12, was just the color used in Ibuki. It'll almost always be something different for every user.
If you're going to make a palette for 1.1, you can use values in between. But anything below 1.1 mugen wont be able to read it. I believe it will default back to 255.
#5  December 30, 2016, 08:47:47 am
    • USA
How do you find the palette of your image?

The Ibuki palette above is 0, 310, for example. Where do you find that information?

Also I'm not getting that warning message when I open  my .pcx in FF3.
#6  December 30, 2016, 11:13:53 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
You can use Fighter factory 3 to switch to the palette automatically.
Go to sprites, and on the left hand side there's 4 boxes. Right above Onion Skin is the Switch to the sprite palette. Make sure it's checked. Then when you move to the image, the palette will change.

If you look in the 6th image you'll see on the right hand side it says Palettes. I'm on palette 471 out of 471 palettes and it's Group and Index are there.
Group 20191 index 0 is the 94th of 470 because I hadn't added in my palette. The last sprite used that palette, so FF3 jumped to it when I scrolled all the way to the last image.

If you dont get that warning, it means it's already paletted and saved in the sff file.
#7  December 30, 2016, 06:39:28 pm
    • USA
Okay, I think I got it now.

So does this mean I can import my image into other .sffs and it'll still come out transparent, or do I need to repeat the process using another .sff?
#8  December 30, 2016, 08:23:38 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Fighter Factory 3 has a nice option, 2 actually, for importing your sprite paletted into a different character.
The first one you actually open both characters with FF3 and go to the one missing the sprite. You go to the sprite drop-down at the top and select Import from another Project. If you have multiple projects you'll have to select the character from the list.
You can import 1 particular sprite by checking a few boxes and specifying the group and index. A habbit I have from older Fighter Factory's I check Renumber and Add, but I leave it at 0. You can import it's palette and it'll look exactly the same.
If you want to import a whole animation's worth of sprites you'd simply just put the group and leave the index blank.
If you wanted to import multiple animations that are in a row you would put the range of the group. Say Animations 8500, thru 8550. You'd put that in the two groups boxes.

The second option will take just a few seconds longer.
You open your two characters, find the sprite in the one that has it. Use Save Image... under sprites. In your second character use the add pcx button and find it on your hdd. It should import with it's palette.
#9  January 16, 2017, 05:15:28 am
    • France
Great tutorial OdB !
I admit I've been using that same workflow when importing images using FF3 (colour indexed or not) but wasn't sure if it was "the righ way to do it". It's reassuring to see others do it similarly. :)
- samurais, swords & stuff ? → Another Blade
#10  January 16, 2017, 07:30:24 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
One thing I like to do if it's a brand new palette and I'm going to use mugen to remappal, is physically adjust where ALL of the colors are by hand.
This makes it super easy to understand the palette. You can select a line in Advanced palette editor later and create new palettes extremely easy by setting this up in advance.

You can do this pretty easy.

This is your sprite.

This is your sprite with FF3's made up palette.

So like before open up Advanced palette editor, but move the pink to the top left corner of the Right Side's palette. Once that's done, use the eye dropper to select a group of colors. I've grabbed his Clothes' colors. I use MASK to make it easier to tell when I have all the colors I want, and none that I dont want. I've set the mask color to the bright blue. It's usually magenta.

Doing the same process for all the different groups of colors, I set them to where I want. I made his
Clothes
Skin/Hair
Eyes/Eye Brows/Head Band
Belt/Gloves
Each on their own line.
Once ALL of the colors are sent to the right, I select EVERY color and send it back to the left palette. Make sure you have all the colors. An semi-easy way to tell is by counting the actual number of colors on both sides. Mine has 21. The whole image is blue because every color is selected.

Now that we have our weird looking Ryu with it's weird palette it's time to save. As I mentioned, this will be repaletted in mugen so I need it as 1,1, to make things easier on myself later in coding the char.

Just like before we import our sprite again, but this time using Force Palette and using our value, 1,1.
Once that's done we change the pink color to transparent and use the Sprites>Save As.

One tip that might not be obvious is to keep the Black and darker colors contained inside colors that are easily visible.
If you noticed my two black colors are against the left side when in Advanced Palette Editor. It just makes it easier to find the black colors.