YesNoOk

Marvel Cinematic Universe: THE END (until the next movie comes out) (Read 2837534 times)

Started by Iced, July 15, 2012, 03:54:44 am
Share this topic:
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe: Straight Outta Wakanda
#3541  November 05, 2017, 04:57:05 pm
  • Lazy spriter
  • Demon in heaven gotta carry a knife
    • Bolivia
    • network.mugenguild.com/thedge/
I really liked Ragnarok, easily the best of the Thor movies, it finally has a menacing villian, Blanchet was awesome and so was all the movie.

since it's a massive change in tone from the first two thor movies.
The first two movies were more leaned to comedy actually, the Jane Foster crew were merely comedic.
But then some parts took itself more seriously, and that hurt the movies, IMHO.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
That’s when I thought, “good grief”
Just ain’t my belief
Until I saw the holes
Inside his hand
#3542  November 07, 2017, 02:31:54 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Spoiler: minor thing that bugged me (click to see content)
#3543  November 07, 2017, 03:17:00 am
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 03:21:15 am by Byakko
#3544  November 08, 2017, 12:48:17 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
LOL. Since Disney can't negotiate with FOX they're just gonna buy them.  :mkickinthenuts:

Just watch the first 1:45 minutes of it as rest of the video talks about the insanely overpowered Franklin Richards.

sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#3545  November 08, 2017, 05:32:48 am
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
Let's post an article instead:
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/06/21st-century-fox-has-been-holding-talks-to-sell-most-of-company-to-disney-sources.html

- 21st Century Fox has been holding talks to sell most of the company to Walt Disney Co., according to people familiar with the situation.
- Disney would not purchase all of Fox, according to people with knowledge of the talks.
- Fox is said to believe that a more tightly focused group of properties around news and sports could compete more effectively.
- The two sides are not currently talking at this very moment, sources said.

21st Century Fox has been holding talks to sell most of the company to Walt Disney Co., leaving behind a media company tightly focused on news and sports, according to people familiar with the situation.

The talks have taken place over the last few weeks and there is no certainty they will lead to a deal. The two sides are not currently talking at this very moment, but given the on again, off again nature of the talks, they could be revisited.

As much as I'd like mutants in the MCU, I'm not comfortable with Disney owning every piece of pop culture under the sun. Besides, Fox isn't Sony, they're doing an ok job with Marvel's IPs.
Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 10:58:40 pm by Magneto so Pringles
#3546  November 08, 2017, 09:50:02 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Aw man, and here I was hoping Fox News was going to be in Kingdom Hearts III.

I mean, I sorta agree with the sentiment that somebody's gotta compete with Disney and Marvel, but it probably shouldn't be a fractured part of Marvel?  It would probably be for the best that Marvel gets their properties back, even if they have absolutely zero movie plans for them in the future if they acquire them, simply so they're not forced to sever part of their universe away from the rest of their properties over ridiculous business practices.
#3547  November 08, 2017, 11:15:07 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
Marvel studios has been doing just fine for a decade. If anything, the limitations they've faced have pushed them in an interesting direction. Do you think we'd have a standalone Antman or GotG movie if Disney could shit out X-men spinoffs on a yearly basis?

Besides, a reality where Disney owns the mutants and slaps Wolverine in the Avengers movies is one where Old Man Logan and Deadpool never see the light of day.
#3548  November 08, 2017, 11:25:13 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
If you were looking to improve your handwriting with your left hand, do you stop using your right hand for writing-related skills or hack the thing off altogether?  Making the best of what legal limitations gave them and getting something significant out of it doesn't mean they couldn't be better with their lost properties returned.

I can't vouch for Deadpool since I A) Didn't see the movie and B) Do not like nor care for the character to begin with, but I'm not so sure the two movies and their respective fans combined make up the difference of what Marvel as a whole could and should have been.  It's great that each side has done something with their cast (If not for the better for the Fantastic Four, but still) but they were designed to be together.
#3549  November 08, 2017, 11:26:01 pm
I don't think we wouldn't have gotten some Deadpool when the guys did give us Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy. If anything, we wouldn't have gotten Ant-Man but we would have gotten Deadpool first.

I'm also a bit concerned about all those branches in a single universe. Tossing one big franchise into another is pressing the question of what was one doing when the other fought off a world-destroying threat. The best I can see come out of it, even if Marvel could wipe all of Fox's movies out of their canon, is an "alternate/parallel universe" deal and it only collides with the other on crossovers, no "the X-Men were fucking around all along like Peter at the Stark Expo in Iron Man 2" reveal (but the X-Men are still born out of their past, mutants need to have been around for a long time). And that means one of the Marvel movies has to introduce the idea of parallel universes first long before getting there. But the good news is, that kind of slow background build-up is what Marvel got amazingly good at doing.
I mean, they already have to introduce Captain Marvel, and they're throwing her back to the '90s and we're all looking forward to what reason they'll give for her being on the other side of the galaxy during everything else so far. That just won't work when the X-Men also need a lot of world-threatening events to build themselves up - and I strongly hope-slash-expect that we won't have to sit through yet another pass at Magneto's WW2 background, just like they skipped over all of Spiderman's origin story (WW2 won't work anymore anyway, they already have to put Steve on ice longer and longer at the slightest reboot).

Personally, what I want to know first before thinking of introducing the X-Men or the Fantastic Four in the MCU is what's planned for the next couple of phases. We're getting to phase 4 and you just know they have ideas as far as phase 6 or 7 already. Hell, we first need to know if Infinity War will completely rewrite the state of the MCU or not, because that's already half done and we're still wondering whether half the cast dies or not.

It's great that each side has done something with their cast (If not for the better for the Fantastic Four, but still) but they were designed to be together.
Uh, that's really pushing it. The X-Men have their own social theme and every time they cross over with anyone else, it's just to press the clash between the two views on the world, or for the Spiderman/Wolverine jokes. Deadpool absolutely goes with the X-Men because he's a direct offshoot of them, but the X-Men and the Avengers basically stay out of each other's way most of the time as far as I can tell (except when they're punching each other or just hyping a team-up).
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 11:37:13 pm by Byakko
#3550  November 15, 2017, 11:31:12 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I saw Thor 3 a week or so ago but am only now getting around to subjecting the forum with an overly long post about it.

I thought it was very good! I'm still not sure how I'd rank it compared to the other two Marvel movies this year, but it's fun as hell.

But yeah, I'm pretty optimistic about the MCU right now; all three of the movies this year have made marked improvements on some of the weakest aspects of the MCU movies: Spider-Man and Thor both have very natural-feeling connections and crossovers to the wider MCU, and are able to seamlessly integrate other superheroes into their narratives, while at the same time never allowing those cameos or supporting characters to overwhelm the actual star of the movie. And Marvel finally seems to have figured out their villain problem, with all three of the movies out this year having good villains; furthermore, they're all different types of villains (Ego is a secretly villainous type of villain; Vulture is the sympathetic type of villain who gets a lot of depth and character work; and Hela is a pretty simplistic [but still loads of fun] straight up capital-E Evil villain, without much characterization, but who makes up for it with gravitas and sheer scene presence), which I'm reassured by, cuz it means it wasn't just a fluke, or that they figured out how to get one particular type to work!
#3551  November 16, 2017, 12:11:51 am
About the whole "no magic, no gods" thing from the first two movie, it's always been my own headcanon but Hela's exposition reveals about Odin comforted me in this, and I think it went like so :
they were gods since day 1 > Hela goes off her meds and takes her "goddess of death" title too far, slaughtering too many people > Odin banishes her and then spends the next couple thousand years reverting the damage by shouting at everyone that THEY'RE NOT GODS ! until no one had too much ego. And then Thor didn't get the message and had to be taught a lesson until he was worthy of being a god, and then didn't need the hammer. That also explains why Odin would overcompensate when he banished Thor.
Odin was seriously spooked when he had to banish Hela.
This long way round was uselessly long though. The first movie was barely an introduction to Thor's character, and the second movie was trying a bit to show off different worlds and races but without much substance to them, it's just "look, these things are there" without explaining them.
Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 12:28:07 am by Byakko
#3552  November 16, 2017, 12:23:14 am
    • USA
About the whole "no magic, no gods" thing from the first two movie, it's always been my own headcanon but Hela's exposition reveals about Odin comforted me in this, and I think it went like so :
they were gods since day 1 > Hela goes off her meds and takes her "goddess of death" title too far, slaughtering too many people > Odin banishes her and then spends the next couple thousand years reverting the damage by shouting at everyone that THEY'RE NOT GODS ! until no one had too much ego. And then Thor didn't get the message and had to be taught a lesson until he was worthy of being a god, and then didn't need the hammer. That also explains why Odin would overcompensate when he banished Thor.
ooh, that works very well
#3553  November 16, 2017, 10:05:08 am
a reminder that the punisher miniseries will be released tomorrow and i couldn't be more hyped to see it.
i hope it doesn't disappoint.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#3554  November 18, 2017, 05:19:22 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Punisher show is pretty disappointing so far.

Edit: So writing this while the final episode plays, cause frankly I don't give a shit at this point. This show was a huge disappointment in my opinion. The very first episode was pretty good, but everything after that is a huge downward drop.

So overall: Would not recommend at all.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 09:24:04 pm by Mechy
#3555  November 19, 2017, 11:36:22 pm
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
Thats weird I rather enjoyed it,alot.

#3556  November 20, 2017, 08:04:03 pm
i'm 5 episodes in and i like it better than every other marvel netflix show so far
#3557  November 20, 2017, 08:25:28 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
i'm 5 episodes in and i like it better than every other marvel netflix show so far

Yeah, it's different but in a good way. Him hunting down the people doing his family injustice and the themes that many war veterans deal with are implemented in so well. Maybe after this, (haven't see all of it yet)
#3558  November 21, 2017, 12:09:36 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide

This. That's how I felt. It's totally different than all the others and feels like it's own world.
#3559  November 21, 2017, 10:35:34 am
i liked it, but it definitely wasn't perfect.
it was okay though.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#3560  November 22, 2017, 10:39:59 pm
    • USA
Jude Law is joining the Captain Marvel movie, and will be playing a character named Dr. Walter Lawson, who is certainly not hiding anything, and is not known better by another superheroic name.

It's a good casting pick!