YesNoOk

next street fighter should be in HD 2d (Read 22696 times)

Started by Pessimus-Prime, July 08, 2015, 08:54:38 am
Share this topic:
next street fighter should be in HD 2d
#1  July 08, 2015, 08:54:38 am
i was noticing all of the smaller companies like arc system works and indie developed games like skull girls having 2d graphics, but they are struggling to keep 2D relevant. HD 2d seems to be an art that is dying without even having a chance and i think capcom should make another 2D street fighter because that would help the art a lot. art is not something like a horse and buggy that should be replaced as art forms should never be completely destroyed. on a side note 3D cg has replaced stop motion, traditional hand drawn cartoons, animitronics, and even stunts and on location filming, the point is CG can be beautiful but other things are cool too. it's too late for SF 5 to do this but maybe an alpha 4 or street fighter 6 if they ever make one should use guilty gear type animation just because street fighter is a recognized name. i wish i could do a petition for this but i don't think it would work :( any way that's just my 2 cents
go ahead and run!!! there's nowwhere in the world you can hide when it's my world!!
Re: next street fighter should be in HD 2d
#2  July 08, 2015, 12:06:16 pm
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Your post is barely readable.
Add proper capitalization, line breaks  and commas.

Also, 2D is not very profitable for a fighting game nowadays.
#3  July 08, 2015, 02:45:17 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Dude, it's 2015. Complaining about SF using 3D models over pixelart stopped being cool about 7 years ago.
#4  July 08, 2015, 03:36:55 pm
2D costs alot more than 3D, and once it's made it can't be modified again. for example the Omega mode in USFIV introduced alot of new moves for all the characters and it was just released as a free patch. now imagine how hard it would've been to implement it had they used 2D, they would be better off making a new game.
i'm actually glad that Arc System stopped using it too. 3D is just easier to make, modify, reuse and it has limitless creative potential.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#5  July 08, 2015, 03:50:00 pm
for example the Omega mode in USFIV introduced alot of new moves for all the characters and it was just released as a free patch. now imagine how hard it would've been to implement it had they used 2D, they would be better off making a new game.
Uh, Omega used existing animations (or parts of existing animations) to patch up new moves. That's very doable in 2D - provided the base has enough sprites. It happens pretty often in Mugen, too, because it's literally the easiest part.
In fact, I'm rather surprised that 2D costs more than 3D because you can do pretty much anything in 2D, you just have to draw it. In 3D, to get the same quality of animations, it should require a lot of work - just compare the animation from SF3.3 to their equivalent in SF4 : a couple months back, there was a video up on Eventhubs comparing Chun Li's stance and gethits etc. between 3.3 and 4, how the 2D version was a lot more elastic, something the 3D version couldn't do. For 3D to not look stiff and generic, making animations require a lot more talent, time, attention to the little bits to get an equivalent result. I wouldn't even expect to see 3.3 quality in SF5.
Though I suppose 2D also needs strong supervision so that every single sprite looks correct in the art style ? Whereas 3D would allow experimented animators to work on their own for a while ? Plus 3D has the advantage that you don't need to "draw" every single frames, 3D engines only require enough "key frames" and connects the dots as a single animation, right ? But still, I would figure actually making those complex and elastic animations take a lot of work, even when you're experimented...
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 03:53:47 pm by DKDC
#6  July 08, 2015, 05:29:29 pm
i would think the choice between 2d and 3d boils down to the type of moves for the fighting game you're making. i imagine a new darkstalkers would be 2d because making the weirder animations look good in 3d would be a huge pain in the ass
#7  July 08, 2015, 05:33:53 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
byakko it depends on what type of game you are making, something that introduces new elements all the time ( like swords being pulled out of thin air) requires the models to be already around and just shrunk down. With them going to normal size when used.
Things like energy bursts, etc all require their own models.

The counterpoint is that you can code a get hit and reuse it for any new model you make. so the bones only need to be done once..
Animation is more expensive bulk, look at skullgirls.

Tekken on the other hand reuses so much stuff their animation budget must be almost nil.
#8  July 08, 2015, 05:41:21 pm
  • You Can't Handle The Truth!
    • www.youtube.com/user/DevilRaptorB
I actaully had a dream (no Joke) that they ditched the new SF5 and remade it all back in 2D , waked up and being pissed it wasn't real , 2D is better then 3D why throw the best away , I'm always looking forward to see new 2D fighting games and games in general , they have the undying classic feeling to them , I hate how develepers are abandoning 2D style in favor of the 3D, however it seems that some sources does show that the 2D is comming back, I hope it does
#9  July 08, 2015, 05:47:09 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
your post went everywhere and said nothing =|

#10  July 08, 2015, 05:52:01 pm
 Yatagarasu Attack on Cataclysm is an indie 2D fighting game

it needed about
$68,000 USD

#11  July 08, 2015, 05:58:55 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
still going nowhere.

You are not making a point, just stating things.

If you are trying to claim that 2d dev is cheaper than 3d, I dunno how you can think that with a straight face.
#12  July 08, 2015, 06:22:01 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
#13  July 08, 2015, 06:22:56 pm
still going nowhere.

If you are trying to claim that 2d dev is cheaper than 3d, I dunno how you can think that with a straight face.

im not trying to claim anything, it just that every other person I asked said that 2D is cheaper, well, how much did Skulgirls cost ?
#14  July 08, 2015, 06:24:58 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
still going nowhere.

im not trying to claim anything, it just that every other person I asked said that 2D is cheaper, well, how much did Skulgirls cost ?
250k per character.
1,7 million for the whole first game.without dlcs
http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/25/skullgirls-character-crowdfunding-breakdown-what-that-150k-is/
#15  July 08, 2015, 06:37:43 pm
one ward : DANG !
#16  July 08, 2015, 06:38:36 pm
#17  July 08, 2015, 09:13:15 pm
Uh, Omega used existing animations (or parts of existing animations) to patch up new moves. That's very doable in 2D - provided the base has enough sprites. It happens pretty often in Mugen, too, because it's literally the easiest part.
i never played it but i saw a gameplay video for ken and guile and they both seem to have new kicks and punches AFAIR.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#18  July 08, 2015, 09:41:03 pm
New moves made from pieces of existing animations. Probably including moves that were created during development but not implemented in the actual game until then.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#19  July 08, 2015, 09:45:29 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
slightly relevant

*1 HOUR LONG VIDEO*
TL;DR , a lot of the "2d only" stuff can also be done in 3d, but it also requires a substantial amount of work, conference also talks about things that can't be done in 2d but can be done in 3d.
Does it talk about stuff that's extremely impractical but possible in 2D like alt costumes or copycat/customizable  characters, but easily doable in 3D too?
#20  July 08, 2015, 09:52:22 pm
No, it's only an ASW dev talking about how they went to make 3D look like 2D. Shader, model, vectrex etc.