YesNoOk

COTM: Nominating, Voting, and Suggestions (Read 337180 times)

Started by RajaaBoy, April 03, 2011, 06:26:45 pm
Share this topic:
Re: COTM: Nominating, Voting, and Suggestions
#81  August 07, 2014, 06:04:28 pm
if the cotm hall of fame is accurate then infinite has never won two months in a row
#82  August 07, 2014, 06:06:15 pm
  • This big boy spitting out 250 rounds a minute!!!
    • USA
    • https://infiniteff.forumotion.com/t533-all-chars-by-rce-akir-jeanne-d-arc-released
if the cotm hall of fame is accurate then infinite has never won two months in a row

Sorry my mistake, I thought he did. Or atleast has won again with a 2 to 3 month time span
Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 06:09:51 pm by ~Hale "R@CE" Caesar~
#83  August 07, 2014, 06:06:28 pm
  • (´ー`)ノ
nope never!

and the bugya thing, same month, so again, we're fine :P
#84  August 07, 2014, 06:06:45 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
i think from this the most feasible thing to do is to have the author employ some level headedness and ask to have some of his things removed so that only his latest stuff is up for competition.

if more people think its worth it we could reduce nominations to 2 a month, but i dunno, titiln did point out how that adds a lot of work for the cotm mods.
#85  August 08, 2014, 07:23:44 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
I think things are fine as is. No need for change tbh.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#86  August 08, 2014, 07:38:30 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
honestly, it's not a huge deal, I just thought it'd give more weight to COTM in general, it had nothing to do with anyone winning more than once because of it.
It just saturates the competition when some people are just competing with themselves to win. 

As far as keeping track, my suggestion would be just like when people update the nominations, you just put a author who has been chosen more than once in red.  I'm sure there isn't going to be too many authors who release more than 1-2 characters a month and become nominated so I don't think it would be a huge thing to cover.
#87  August 08, 2014, 11:35:31 am
    • Argentina
    • sutcliffsouji.wix.com/cp-chazzanova
I've seen a few months where the same author is nominated for 3-4 characters which play style and gameplay were not very different from the other. To me things like this make COTM look not as deserving a reward as it should be. It shows just throwing more quantity then quality is a good thing, which it isn't and shouldn't be. 
I'm agree with everything but IDK if this isn't a reward as it should be. I mean, it's an online prize, just a gif, it's not like money or something material. I don't see why change something that works. And especially considering that the current system already has rules that confuse users. I don't know why, it's quite simple, but ShinZankuro always puts a - 3 in his nominations, and Yagoshi300 usually makes a  - 4 on his posts :/

I mean, it's nice to win a COTM, yeah, and it would be great if the contest always be won by the person who deserves it, but right now it's something like a popularity contest, and apply more changes to the system is going to enhance this condition. I think if Rasetsumaru had not participated in the previous COTM, Haohmaru would have won. And even R@CE thinks that Urien deserved to win.

Just my opinion.
Re: Quarterly Stage Competition Voting [Q4-14]
#88  March 18, 2015, 05:06:48 pm
  • SNK is life
:(

I didn't even notice this thread was here. I would have voted the waterfall, because of its gorgeous original Spritework.

Maybe the active threads should be in the main boards with more traffic, and this section should be for archiving purposes.

MOD EDIT:
This post and some of the following posts were split from this thread
Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 07:02:11 pm by Just No Point
Re: Quarterly Stage Competition Voting [Q4-14]
#89  March 18, 2015, 06:23:14 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
This thread would hit page two in less than a week if it was moved to mugen discussion.

Nobody cares about stage contests besides the people submiting their own entries and it can't be helped. SotM/Q just doesn't work, there's no public interest.
Re: Re: Quarterly Stage Competition Voting [Q4-14]
#90  March 18, 2015, 06:31:05 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
:(

I didn't even notice this thread was here. I would have voted the waterfall, because of its gorgeous original Spritework.

Maybe the active threads should be in the main boards with more traffic, and this section should be for archiving purposes.
That might not be a bad idea actually.
I don't remember seeing a news post about it either.
#91  March 18, 2015, 06:43:57 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
But COTM was doing almost fine! There was no need to move that thread.
#92  March 18, 2015, 06:44:05 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
@awards runners
We're going to try and do the active awards threads in the MUGEN Discussions board. Sticky them when you make them. Once they are finished with their purpose unsticky and move them here to archive.

I made the local mods here mods there as well.
#93  March 18, 2015, 06:47:39 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
But COTM was doing almost fine! There was no need to move that thread.
If one was going to be moved might as well move them all. It shouldn't hurt the current awards.
#94  March 18, 2015, 06:57:33 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
The other one should be moved to the recycle bin :P seriously, it's insane to keep on going with this stage contests; even if you revamp them everyone will lose interest after the first month.

Also, this split is pretty damn awkard. Should've moved those post to a new thread instead of mixing them with this sticky.
#95  March 18, 2015, 07:04:56 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Yeah, the split wasn't the best but the discussion seemed better here :P
I added a link to Walt's post explaining where the posts came from so when reading all this the context should be better now.

As for the stage competitions. I'm split on them. On one hand you're totally right. But on the other they don't cause any problems and as long as someone wants to make the contest I don't think we should tell them not to do so. I dunno...
#96  March 18, 2015, 07:18:35 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
If SotQ was not directly associated with the forum that'd be fine and dandy, but the moment you make such a pathetic contest a forum sanctioned activity with the special membergroups and stars and stuff, it makes the whole board look pathetic.

Also,

Bimestral, quarterly and semestral awards wouldn't work either. The problem with SOTM is that it failed to make the general public feel any hype, the only people nominating things are contestants themselves; longer voting periods would only make the actual contest more forgetable to the average user.

Jmorphman was wrong and I was right.
#97  March 18, 2015, 07:21:25 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
^Oh snap, shots fired!

If we remove it I think the current winners should keep their titles at least.

I know @JMorphman: was pretty strong for keeping this going.
You still think it's worth an effort JMM?
#98  March 18, 2015, 07:28:51 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
    • Guatemala
I'd also like to unlock custom titles for everyone. It looks really weird that only staff, former staff, contest winners and completely random guys have access to them.
#99  March 18, 2015, 07:34:52 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Hah, I wasn't even aware everyone couldn't do it. Or I forgot.
I think I changed it where anyone can edit it now.
#100  March 18, 2015, 07:52:56 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I still think we should keep them, even if it's just the people who make stages who are voting and nominating. But I don't feel as strongly as I did about it a year ago because, yeah, it's not gaining any traction and is in fact losing a lot.

Similarly, CotM looks like it's been losing steam lately, there just don't seem to be as many votes or nominations. I guess that's sorta normal maybe (because everything normally loses viewers over time) but it's still discouraging!