YesNoOk

PS3 Jailbreak Code Hits Internet, No Stopping It Now (Read 1509 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, September 02, 2010, 08:10:18 am
Share this topic:
PS3 Jailbreak Code Hits Internet, No Stopping It Now
#1  September 02, 2010, 08:10:18 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
PS3 Jailbreak Code Hits Internet, No Stopping It Now

The code powering the PS3's first modchip is now officially out there, meaning anyone with an internet connection and a USB micro-controller can get under their PS3's skin.

The PSGroove, a new jailbreak solution engineered from the same code that powers the first modchip, is touted as an "open source" PS3 exploit, meaning it's not out for profit, not being sold by anyone and doesn't have a company name behind it to pin a lawsuit on.

This development renders Sony's impending court showdown with Australian retailers a shallow public relations gesture at best. Why? Because defeating them would be like cutting one head off a million-headed hydra; now that PS3-cracking code is out there online, and the only device you require to operate it is a legally-available PC accessory, anyone that has the will to back-up their PS3 games and the ability to read an internet forum will be able to do it.

As of right now, the standard PSGroove code doesn't let you play backups of your games. But now that it's out there in the hands of hackers, that feature will be with us soon, if it isn't already.

http://kotaku.com/5628137/ps3-jailbreak-code-hits-internet-no-stopping-it-now
Re: PS3 Jailbreak Code Hits Internet, No Stopping It Now
#2  September 02, 2010, 08:38:55 am
    • USA
Good news for us, bad news for Sony.
#3  September 02, 2010, 08:47:49 am
  • Helpful Hermit
    • USA
If it lets me install DLC that I've downloaded, then I'll be happy.  I don't really care about playing backups.
If you require my assistance, please feel free to contact me on Discord: 2DMirage#5299
Commissions/Requests are closed. Please do not ask.
#4  September 02, 2010, 09:35:56 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Good news for us, bad news for Sony.

cant be that bad for them if they sell more consoles now

and every sold console..even if modded at the start brings more sold games and of course accessories

i pirate games since 1996 or97 and still bought over 400+ games till now. the most games i downloaded instead to buy were either not avaiable here and only in japan, or they didnt deserve it to be bought. and yes mr THQ guy i even bought a few of your wrestlign games.

that piracy hurts the industry is bullshit.
#5  September 02, 2010, 01:22:25 pm
  • Me Bouncy
    • USA
    • runningwildwolf@gmail.com
    • http://youtube.com/runningwildvidya
#6  September 02, 2010, 01:29:18 pm
  • Recreation
#7  September 02, 2010, 01:35:28 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Yeah, how dare people play KOF98 on a fucking free PC emulator instead of buying a 500$ cartridge for their NeoGeo !? >:(
#8  September 02, 2010, 01:41:00 pm
  • Recreation
Yeah, how dare people play KOF98 on a fucking free PC emulator instead of buying a 500$ cartridge for their NeoGeo !? >:(
>:(

The standard version does not include piracy, however, it does allow for homebrew and jank.
#9  September 02, 2010, 03:58:59 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
#10  September 02, 2010, 07:58:54 pm
#11  September 04, 2010, 02:30:09 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
PSone version was shit.
Best version at this time was the Saturn one with the additional RAM cartridge.
#12  September 04, 2010, 11:11:43 pm
  • X is for Xtreme
    • Netherlands
    • Geocities.jp

I'm the PSP and I sell like shit in the US and Europe.
Third Party publishers don't give a fck about me because my software sales are horrible thanks to the Homebrew scene.
My only savior now is a not so generic kid called marcus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOGcRvUvj3U

Sigh, the PSP looked so much promising back then, it has alot of great games but it's pretty much dead now (except in Japan where it is selling better than the Wii atm)
The Homebrew is great though  :lugoi:
where there is a will,there is a way。
Sounds like you're just jealous that Duke Nukem has a bigger dick and gets ALL the bitches.
#13  September 04, 2010, 11:34:04 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com

I'm the PSP and I sell like shit in the US and Europe.
Third Party publishers don't give a fck about me because my software sales are horrible thanks to the Homebrew scene.
My only savior now is a not so generic kid called marcus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOGcRvUvj3U

Sigh, the PSP looked so much promising back then, it has alot of great games but it's pretty much dead now (except in Japan where it is selling better than the Wii atm)
The Homebrew is great though  :lugoi:
Sales
Worldwide    60 million (as of March 14, 2010)

Japan    13.38 million (as of December 28, 2009)
United States    17 million (as of March 14, 2010)
Europe    12 million (as of May 6, 2008)
United Kingdom    3.2 million (as of January 3, 2009)

If the software sales are so bad then it wonders me why the psp still gets its high profile/high budget games

and how can piracy be a reason it sold all in all far worse then the nintendo ds which had the r4 etc devices to pirate games.

its a simple rule. good games get bought, bad and mediocre ones not.

and the psp is pretty dead in the usa or europe now after 5 years? lets take a look at the releases  till end of october

09/07     North America     Ace Combat: Joint Assault
      Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
      Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (PSP-3000 Entertainment Pack)
      UFC Undisputed 2010
09/14    North America    Cabela's North American Adventures
      Gladiator Begins
      Phantasy Star Portable 2
      The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest
09/21    North America    Cladun: This is an RPG
09/28    North America    FIFA Soccer 11
      Rapala Pro Bass Fishing 2010
10/01    North America    EyePet
10/05    North America    Ben 10 Ultimate Alien: Cosmic Destruction
      NBA 2K11
10/12    North America    Blazing Souls: Accelate
      Invizimals
      Invizimals (PSP Entertainment Pack)
      Lucha Libre AAA: Heroes of the Ring
10/19    North America    Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi Tag Team
      Knights in the Nightmare
10/26    North America    WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2011
      Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Tag Force 5

20 games there.

For the Nintendo DS there are nearly 40 games announced in the same time including tripple A games like Noah`s Ark, Florist Shop, Littlest Pet Shop 3: Blue Team,Littlest Pet Shop 3: Pink Team, Littlest Pet Shop 3: Purple Team and of course Sesame Street: Cookie's Counting Carnival.

sure...this means the ds is superiour and the psp "dead" . uh. bullshit
Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 11:41:15 pm by GBK667
#14  September 05, 2010, 12:22:43 am
  • X is for Xtreme
    • Netherlands
    • Geocities.jp
:-\
High profile?
You mean those JRPG's/Square-Enix titles?

Also nice list, but unfortunately 70% of those games are mostly meant for the Japanese market, or made by Sony.
The rest?.... Wanna play Ben 10 Ultimate Alien: Cosmic Destruction with me bro?!
Or even more awesome: Rapala Pro Bass Fishing 2010
No.
Yes, the DS has some horrible releases, but it will still sell better than most of the PSP games, and you know it.
DS games sell beter (Even with the R4 card on the market) because a lot DS games are more mainstream, casual gamers don't know where to buy a R4 card and update it/put games on it, the PSP on the other hand has an audience that is different.
I like the PSP more than the DS though, but how many people do you see with a PSP nowadays? last time for me was in 2008.

Anyway, I wasn't talking about gaemz, but about hardware sales.
PSP isn't selling much atm, and let me dont even mention the PSP Go which was a failure.
where there is a will,there is a way。
Sounds like you're just jealous that Duke Nukem has a bigger dick and gets ALL the bitches.
#15  September 05, 2010, 12:38:44 am
  • StormEX
  • | Content Creator | Gamer | Programmer |
    • USA
    • Twitch.tv/ZayOsirisGaming
I never even see anybody holding a psp go!

Lets hope that maybe though this homebrew, there might be a playable mugen for the ps3
#16  September 05, 2010, 01:16:52 am
  • Recreation
#17  September 05, 2010, 05:52:32 am
  • FTW!!!
I dont own a PS3 so can someone elaborate what this means and how it will effect or what it does?
#18  September 05, 2010, 09:25:15 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
:-\
High profile?
You mean those JRPG's/Square-Enix titles?

Also nice list, but unfortunately 70% of those games are mostly meant for the Japanese market, or made by Sony.
The rest?.... Wanna play Ben 10 Ultimate Alien: Cosmic Destruction with me bro?!
Or even more awesome: Rapala Pro Bass Fishing 2010
No.
Yes, the DS has some horrible releases, but it will still sell better than most of the PSP games, and you know it.
DS games sell beter (Even with the R4 card on the market) because a lot DS games are more mainstream, casual gamers don't know where to buy a R4 card and update it/put games on it, the PSP on the other hand has an audience that is different.
I like the PSP more than the DS though, but how many people do you see with a PSP nowadays? last time for me was in 2008.

Anyway, I wasn't talking about gaemz, but about hardware sales.
PSP isn't selling much atm, and let me dont even mention the PSP Go which was a failure.

yarr over 60 million sales is more then enough ..thats a number not far away from  the PlayStation and PSone  which had shipped a combined total of 102.49 million units by By March 31, 2005.

I think the biggest reason why the psp wasnt bought as often as the DS are just its competitors which have a wider anticipation worldwide.

Nintendo makes games for young and old, especially younger people tough, but those are more a target group for handhelds anyway. Boys and girls play games in the bus, the train, the car, older people drive cars and have no time playing their tetris and pokemon.
On the psp you have way more games for an older audience, be it Monster Hunter, Killzone, Resitance, Socom, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Capcom and Namco Fighters even, Those are played mostly by people over 15 years.

And then there was the Apple iphone and whatnot.

The 20 games i listed are all games coming out in America, with high profile games i mean games like Metal Gear Solid, Little Big Planet, Kingdom Hearts, Phantasy Star,

So "yarr" piracy was for sure not the reason why the psp sold so "bad"
#19  September 05, 2010, 12:12:09 pm
What is 'jailbreaking' exactly?
#20  September 15, 2010, 09:28:37 pm
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com