YesNoOk

Can someone tell me what's happening in this chars guard states? (Read 2350 times)

Started by Disconcorde, February 17, 2020, 07:19:35 am
Share this topic:
Can someone tell me what's happening in this chars guard states?
#1  February 17, 2020, 07:19:35 am
    • UK
I have a character called HellFlamer on my roster, and it seems the dev of that character has turned guard states like 130-132 into helper states and I can't understand what any of it means. I think it's supposed to be his super armour, which I've been wanting to copy into another character for a long time but I just couldn't understand any of this code or what it's supposed to do.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Either way, I want his form of super armour over others because it seems to resist OHKO attacks better than any others I have come across. Does anyone have any idea what the above code means?
Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 10:09:19 am by Disconcorde
Re: Can someone tell me what's happening in this chars guard states?
#2  February 17, 2020, 08:46:04 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Thats almost unreadable due to a lack of spacing. Read through 120. Which looks like mostly gibberish as its apparently meant to do stuff if you're dead.

Haven't been through the rest.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#3  February 17, 2020, 08:51:20 am
    • UK
@Cyanide Yeah, I apologize for that because it's even more confusing to me. I probably should've taken the time to space it myself before posting it here.
#4  February 17, 2020, 08:58:38 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
Like what Cyanide said, the thing may need more context to be exact.
But the main problem is the layout haha...

My suggestion would be to find and delete every single unnecessary SCTRLS's (i.e. explod & assertspecials) to get a less wordy, more compact list with better spacing to make it look more presentable!
#5  February 17, 2020, 10:58:38 am
    • UK
I had tried that before once, but it still made no sense to me. All I know is that the entire code for this character is structured the same way and probably would make sense in context. But I'm not an actual mugen developer so I can't understand it at all.
#6  February 18, 2020, 08:56:21 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
I did a quick edit in notepad++ and automatically added some returns.
@Disconcorde: Please use the spoiler for that much code next time. Small chunks don't need spoilers, but if it's more than like 1.5 screens it's a bit much for everyone to keep scrolling past each time they read the thread.
I'll try to look over the code tomorrow. Today's been a bad one.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#7  February 19, 2020, 10:16:46 am
    • UK
@Odb718 Oh, sorry about that, I don't know how to do the spoiler thing, and based on the name I thought it was about literal "spoilers."

EDIT: I'm not even sure if you can call what this character has "Super Armour" but it acts a lot like it. However, I've noticed that he's pretty much immune to custom states. The only characters who successfully did put him in a custom state was "The Will Of Hades" and "Phantom Mizuchi Abyss" which are very over powered characters, and even then it didn't kill him.

Whilst the super armour that other characters in my roster use like Asgore Ver.s works well they can get put into custom states and The Will Of Hades can OHKO that one specifically. Asgore Ver.S' super armour works using LifeSet unlike most which use LifeAdd.

I won't paste it here for now because I still don't know how to use the spoiler thing. But to summerize it, a helper in -2 ParentVarSets var(49) as gethitvar(damage) and sysvar(3) is set as var(49) and in -2 there's a lifeset which is equal to "lifemax-sysvar(3)" - I edited this and changed var(49) to be equal to gethitvar(hitcount) instead hoping to try and mimick how HellFlamer takes damage, it did not work.
Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 08:53:25 pm by Disconcorde
#8  February 21, 2020, 08:16:56 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/

Just put spoiler and /spoiler in square brackets same as other forum code.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#9  February 21, 2020, 01:15:14 pm
    • UK
 I decided to add some other stuff that I thought was relevent, and now I know how to use the spoiler tag and I've spaced the code this time so hopefully I haven't made any mistakes.

I'm still not sure what any of it means, and for some reason many of these helpers are lifesetting themselves to 0 or lifemax (what either means for a helper I don't know). I now know that helper(134) seems to be the pause immunity for this character but the triggers are still weird and attached to specific characters by name.

EDIT: Since others haven't come to answer yet I know views of this thread have been increasing... I thought I'd try and add some bits of detail. The character is called HellFlamer as I've mentioned earlier, and it's a version of Mario similar to the more well-known mugen mario "will of prison flame" by the same author (I think).

The animation trigger "selfanimexist(592801858)" is used throughout the whole character as a trigger for pretty much anything that happens in it, I don't know why. I used FF3 to check the animation and it's just a blank animation with a time of -1 and no clsn boxes. It may be there just to trigger things.

Code:
[Begin Action 592801858]
-1, 0, 0, 0, -1

When using Ctrl + D ingame, mugen says the character is always in State 120, no matter what action it's doing onscreen. - That's sort of like helper behaviour, right? - But the Statedef 120 doesn't read like a helper at all. (I know it's supposed to be the default guard, but as seen in the original post it's clearly been overwritten, however it still doesn't look like a helper state at least to me).

For some reason, it looks like all of this code has something to do with HellFlamer's super armour, and nothing to do with it at the same time. And I also know I must be missing part of it too, considering I haven't found the part which actually deals with taking damage yet.

If anyone has some answers it'd be nice to know about.
Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 07:49:18 am by Disconcorde
#10  March 01, 2020, 07:54:57 am
    • UK
Another edit: I went into State -2 and searched for lifesets and stuff did come up. I did this because the other character I have (Asgore Ver.s) super armour had a Lifeset in State -2 so I thought they may be similar. Surprise, there was a result!

Code:
[state ]
type=varadd
trigger1=numexplod(911)||numexplod(912)
trigger1=roundstate=2
trigger1=sysfvar(2)<=700
trigger1=gametime%150=0
sysfvar(2)=2
ignorehitpause=1

[state ]
type=varset
trigger1=numexplod(5001)<2
trigger1=sysfvar(2)!=[0,1200]
trigger1=roundstate!=2
sysfvar(2)=0
ignorehitpause=1

[State ]
type=lifeset
trigger1=!ishelper
trigger1= TeamMode = single
value=ifelse(sysfvar(2)<950,floor(lifemax-sysfvar(2)),4-numexplod(5001))
ignorehitpause=1

[State ]
type=lifeset
triggerall=!ishelper
trigger1= TeamMode = simul || TeamMode = turns
value=ifelse(sysfvar(2)<499,floor(lifemax-sysfvar(2)),4-numexplod(5001))
ignorehitpause=1

[State ]
type=lifeset
trigger1=!ishelper
trigger1=numexplod(913)
value=floor(lifemax - sysfvar(2))
ignorehitpause=1

[State 12p˜_ŠO‰»]
type=Lifeset
trigger1=!ishelper
trigger1=numprojID(1)
trigger1=numexplod(912)
value=1000
ignorehitpause=1

[State ]
type=lifeset
triggerall=!ishelper
triggerall=numexplod(5001)<4
triggerall=roundstate>2
trigger2=numprojID(3)
value=1000
ignorehitpause=1

EDIT: Okay, so I have kind of found out how it works.

Instead of more common ways of making super armour that I've seen, HellFlamer's works by having a hittable helper which serves as a trigger for sysfvar(2). The helper gets hit, and while this happens and certain other conditions are true (usually explods) sysfvar(2) gets increased and that will be dealt as damage to HellFlamer in the form of "floor(lifemax - sysfvar(2))" in State -2. This hittable helper was helper(132) and most of the stuff I pasted onto this website was completely unrelated to it.

I apologize for that but I thought it was all related because the same triggers were being used all the time, namely numexplods 901,911,912,5001 and selfanimexist(592801858) and that nearly all of these helpers had a changestate to the same State 8000. - I'm not a mugen dev and this must either be advanced coding or just unnecessarily complex and I just couldn't get most of it.

It also seems as though the super armour itself isn't any better than the super armour that Asgore Ver.s already had, and the reason HellFlamer's life works the way he does is because of those complicated triggers. I was hoping to mimic the way he takes damage, but even with the super armour understood and copied into Asgore it behaves nothing alike to what it does in HellFlamer.

So the issue of the title of this thread has been solved, and I'm going to mark the thread solved. I'll just have to keep trying to figure out what makes him work the way he does.
Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 10:09:08 am by Disconcorde
#11  March 03, 2020, 03:27:31 pm
    • UK
Right, so the actual answer to my question was in State 120. I had to include a SelfState 120 with persistent 256 in every non-helper, roundstate = 2 state in Asgore to get the effect that I wanted.

So yeah, the answer was the overwritten guard state after all, I just didn't see it.