YesNoOk

A French Director's looking for a MUGEN game... (Read 2780 times)

Started by JulienH, January 25, 2019, 08:48:53 pm
Share this topic:
A French Director's looking for a MUGEN game...
#1  January 25, 2019, 08:48:53 pm
    • France
Hello,

I'm coming to this forum because I'm going to make a movie. I'm a young French director, this will be my first feature film. (I'm sorry, I use Google Translate, I hope the message will be clear).

We have a very small budget. But the film presents a long scene where two characters play a game of fighting. In the scenario, they play Street Fighter. Of course, Capcom did not give us the rights to use it.

I thought about the MUGEN community. I played a few games a few years ago. We would need an "original" fighting game, where all the sprites are creations of the programmer (or people close to him), posing no problem of rights. I think games of this type exist. But I do not know where to find them. I know you are the largest global community on MUGEN. I come to you.

The ideal would be a game totally free of rights, including for commercial use. Or, at worst, a game whose programmer would accept a symbolic remuneration. But the game would be at the heart of a movie scene.

So I'm talking to you, hoping to find my dream. Or a track to realize it.

Thanks for reading me. Good day or evening.

Julien

Re: A French Director's looking for a MUGEN game...
#2  January 26, 2019, 02:58:04 am
    • USA
    • leekrs1@gmail.com
What immediately comes to mind for me is "The Black Heart." by Andrés Borghi.
#3  January 26, 2019, 02:51:41 pm
  • Skateboard Game Enthusiast
  • Slowly but surely!
    • USA
    • joeythetricky.wixsite.com/mugen
Hello,

I'm coming to this forum because I'm going to make a movie. I'm a young French director, this will be my first feature film. (I'm sorry, I use Google Translate, I hope the message will be clear).

Really? Sounds interesting. It's okay if you need to use Google Translate, I'm able to comprehend what you say!

We have a very small budget. But the film presents a long scene where two characters play a [fighting game]. In the scenario, they play Street Fighter. Of course, Capcom did not give us the rights to use it.

Having a small budget for your movie is understandable, since you already mentioned this new film of yours will be your first. Street Fighter is just about one of the most popular fighting games out there, but at least you understand the idea of copyright laws (unlike Soulja Boy some people)!

I thought about the MUGEN community. I played a few games a few years ago. We would need an "original" fighting game, where all the sprites are creations of the programmer (or people close to him), posing no problem of rights. I think games of this type exist. But I do not know where to find them. I know you are the largest global community on MUGEN. I come to you.

I understand your request here, and I believe that the MUGEN game me and a couple of my friends are trying to make may be the game for you! You can look here for more info: http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/martial-madness-2020-ama-185827.0.html

But our game just started development about a week ago, so I have to ask first: Since the game we're making isn't out yet, what timeframe do you have on making the movie (or specifically the scene you're describing)? If you could give me any sort of estimate that could fit, I would probably at LEAST have a demo version of our game out by the deadline. But I'm not too sure yet, so contact me when you can.

The ideal would be a game totally free of rights, including for commercial use. Or, at worst, a game whose programmer would accept a symbolic remuneration. But the game would be at the heart of a movie scene.

Even though the game itself won't be out for a long time, I wouldn't mind if you gained a profit off of it. In other words, you will be able to use my game when the demo is released, so long as the game itself gets some recognition (i.e. saying the game's title in the movie). If everything carries out right, I'd be more than glad to watch your movie even though I'm an american!

Nonetheless, I'm intrigued by your situation and am happy to try helping out. Reply back whenever you can!

From,
Joey
Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 03:34:51 pm by Joey S.
#4  January 27, 2019, 06:40:52 am
The sprites still capcom’s copy rights even in mugen
#5  January 27, 2019, 12:57:20 pm
  • Skateboard Game Enthusiast
  • Slowly but surely!
    • USA
    • joeythetricky.wixsite.com/mugen
The sprites still capcom’s copy rights even in mugen

He's trying to imply that he wants a game that has COMPLETELY original artwork, which is what my game will offer.

Edit: I searched it up and The Black Heart also has original characters and graphics, buuuut he'd have to ask Andrés about it.
Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 01:01:28 pm by Joey S.
#6  January 27, 2019, 08:25:58 pm
    • France
Hello everyone,

thank you for the different answers.

@beterhans: Indeed, the goal is to find a game with original graphics.

@Lucasmic: thanks for the proposal. The game seems to match, actually.

@Joey S.: "thank you also for your responsiveness and your enthusiasm.This is really nice.The movie will be shot in March, so soon.

I would like to reply to your private message, but I can not send a message to MFGuilde. Can you send me your email address by private message, so that I can answer your questions. "

Have a good day

#7  February 03, 2019, 07:33:09 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Black Heart is almost certainly the best choice here. Andres can still be reached as far as I know.
#8  February 03, 2019, 07:35:25 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Actually (sorry for the double post, I am on mobile) @SeanAltly: also has Shades of Manhattan

lui

#9  February 03, 2019, 08:38:28 pm
    • USA
Shades is a better choice as it resembles your typical grounded fighter much more than the Black Heart's horror aesthetic
#10  February 03, 2019, 11:00:45 pm
  • busy, busy....
    • Poland
Diepod/HIIVolt-07 maybe? His game is still in development, but I'm sure, that he has a plenty of great looking, original content already done. At least take a look at his work.
He's one of the most talented spriters related to a mugen community.
#11  February 05, 2019, 02:58:09 am
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly
I would also recommend The Black Heart, my SHADEs games still use existing background elements and FX from licensed games. Everything in The Black Heart is 100% original and wouldn't pose any sort of conflicts legally. It would be cool to see my game in a film but I don't want you to get in any trouble and The Black Heart is awesome.

Download Last Bout now!
#12  February 15, 2019, 10:11:34 am
    • France
Hello everyone,

Sorry for taking time to answer. Thank you for all your suggestions. I got in touch with Andrès Borghi, who agrees that we use The Black Heart. Which is a great solution. I will direct the scene around a horror fighting game.

Thank you to the entire community, anyway.

I will thank you in the credits of the film :)

Best regards.