YesNoOk

I need tips about this style(My own style). (Read 59349 times)

Started by Masterhand128, February 21, 2016, 10:54:51 pm
I need tips about this style(My own style).
#1  February 21, 2016, 10:54:51 pm
  • I´m a big fan of...THIS HAND?!
    • Spain
Since I don´t have many experience of character styles, I will change to a another style...
But I need some tips for improve the quality of one of my edited character(Thanks Daniel, I realized my style is very sh*tty :P).

OH!, here is my sh*tty style:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
This character is Trextrex65 and is a joke char, please, DON´T TAKE SERIOUSLY!
And I made this character for fun.
Note: I don´t know if I´m in the correct site for open this thread and sorry of the accidental thread derailment, I usually speak so much... :P

UPDATE:
The tile of this thread has been changed for making more sense.
Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 07:18:31 pm by masterhand128
Re: I need tips about this style(POTS+INFINITE).
#2  February 22, 2016, 02:16:39 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Sorry to say, but it still doesn't make much sense... So by "style," do you mean the style in which characters are created (the way they behave) or do you mean the actual graphics (hitsparks/supersparks/portrait style) that your characters follow?

If it's either, I'd still say go with you're own style. The only one doing PotS' style should be PotS and the only one doing Infinite's style is Infinite.

-[Все слова это только слова.]-
#3  February 22, 2016, 03:28:47 pm
    • Spain
The pots+infinite style is like this:

Daniel sayed is a BAD conversion of POTS style.
And I need some tips for making a good character with a cool style.
#4  February 22, 2016, 03:44:31 pm
Study fighting games, lots of them. There are so many games out there with great ideas that go untouched because people just don't branch out from Capcom and SNK-senpai.

That said, making a good character comes first. Don't worry about what "style" it is until after you set your foundation.
#5  February 22, 2016, 03:50:45 pm
    • Spain
The Trextrex65´s gameplay is a little messy and probably I will alter, and maybe I will increase a little his velocity.
Maybe is a good idea for a character with this style?
#6  February 22, 2016, 03:51:49 pm
#7  February 22, 2016, 03:55:11 pm
    • Spain
OK, thank you for your tip.:)
I will improve the quality of my character but more later...
I have plans to edit another character and I have a lot of things in my personal life.
#8  February 22, 2016, 04:00:52 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
I'm kind of curious... what's the point of asking for advice on things if you're going to ignore it? I mean, we basically both told you to find your own style.

Seriously, Niitris is spot on here. You have to "discover" your own style. I have my own, and it came from just trying many different things until I found something that I liked best for me. The best of it can be seen in my latest characters. Regardless, you actually need to be able to make a character from scratch in order to find your style from it. You can't try new things if you don't know how to. Edits are good and all, but unless they're complete overhauls, your own style won't come from it.

#9  February 22, 2016, 04:15:57 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I don't get the "style" thing anyway. Is it the aesthetic fx combined with the mechanics? That's what I think of with a certain "style". Along with my interpretation of the way a character would convert to said style.

So on the large you would simply need all the mechanics and sub systems used in POTS style along with universal fx? That seems more akin to researching those characters than just making a thread as this.

As an example if I was to convert Ken to Darkstalkers style I'd start with how the DS system would alter his play style on a universal level like he'd get magic series chains, guard reversals, pursuits, es attacks, ex attacks, etc. Then if fine tune him more because typical super moves don't translate well in most cases for es or ex attacks. And I'd refine him further to differentiate him more from Ryu after that. Because Vampire Savior didn't have clones. Even Morrigan and Lilith are totally different in how you play them.

Style isn't something you ask for info on. It's something you study, understand, and replicate.
#10  February 22, 2016, 04:29:49 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Don't do PotS style.

Seriously.

Only like 2-3 people have done it justice and the rest have half-assed it. It's not an easy system to code.
#11  February 22, 2016, 05:01:25 pm
some people seem to like pots style without knowing what it is.
and how is showing us screenshots gonna make us know anything about your style? tell us what sort of gameplay mechanics have you put in your characters.
Heaven is just a prostitute without clothes.
#12  February 22, 2016, 09:27:58 pm
    • Spain
Sorry my later. :P

Here is the Trextrex65´s gameplay:

I hope this information is very usefull. ;)

#13  February 22, 2016, 09:58:04 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
That says nothing about the system. That's a movelist.
#14  February 22, 2016, 10:11:42 pm
    • Spain
The systems lacks hitsparks, hitsounds, an other things(is very incomplete :P).
The problem are the supers special effects:

Is a bad conversion because if you realize the LVL 2 and LVL 3 has a inadequate special effect...
And I think POTS+Infinite maybe is a good idea as a sustitute.
PS: Ah!, I forgot, Trextrex65 has MvC BG super in "chickencombo" and "Trex Counter Beam", I will remove in the next update. :P
Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 10:23:10 pm by masterhand128
#15  February 22, 2016, 10:33:35 pm
gameplay mechanics are not the movelist.
they are the elements that you put in your character that will determine how will the character play. for example, parries, alpha counters and variable combos are gameplay mechanics that exist in pots style.
pots style is a collection of gameplay mechanics from a multiple games. it's not god's gift to mugen, as much as the mugen community would like you to believe. i personally find the inclusion of parries and alpha counters together very redundant, i won't use the hassling alpha counters when i have the much easier and more rewarding parry available.

play fighting games, play pots characters, play MvC characters, play all kind of characters, and come up with your own style that you like. don't let what's popular influence you.
also, fuck hitsparks, they don't matter as much as you think they do.  i could make a char with kung fu man effects and people will like it, why? because of the gameplay.
Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 10:37:05 pm by Gennos
#16  February 22, 2016, 10:56:43 pm
    • Spain
I always think in adding a lot of thing for "modernize" my edited character.
For this reason i think I needed to add more things.
But I didn´t like very much when Daniel sayed:

"This is not a style."
"This is just badly adapted PotS gimmicks with a poor understanding of any of them AND how MvC Works."
Yeah, and my character has a incomplete gameplay mechanics.

And about Trextrex65:

"Furthermore who gives a fuck about trextrex anymore."

What the...?! 0_0
But is a joke character, of curse nobody cares this guy, but I edited this character for fun and HE SHOULDN´T TAKE SERIOUSLY!
Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 11:01:33 pm by masterhand128
#17  February 22, 2016, 11:15:45 pm
  • $AD FUCK
  • Premeditated Suicide
    • Puerto Rico
    • Skype - TheFclass97
some people seem to like pots style without knowing what it is.

Cause all the cool kids like it!

Nah, but in all seriousness, you simply have to study and understand fighters in general. What makes them fun? How they play (both beginner and maybe some advanced stuff and terms)? Once you learn and get use to stuff like that, try making your own character any way you want. Test and balance it out, be original, and just have fun with it. never be afraid to ask the community for help btw.

As far as mechanics, we want to know (in detail), how your character plays. Like, how do the combos work? How many buttons? Does he have any cool gimmicks like canceling stuff? Things like that. Don't just do a "style" cause of popularity or whatever "that" guys says... I mean, look at my Popeye for example... people expected it to be a simple edit, but I re-designed the char to play a lot different, with different systems and stuff, regardless if it played like DDR's version or not. I just created what i wanted to create (with some tweaking, of course...). 

And an important note, always be open to feedback. Whether it makes sense or not, it's always good to keep everyone's comments in mind, cause they can eventually help you into creating some good stuff in the future.

Hope this helps...
#18  February 22, 2016, 11:25:28 pm
    • Spain
You are right!
I gonna keeping my own style but in the future I gonna add more mechanics.

Here is my reaction when I have revealed against Daniel:

Goodbye and good night! :)

#19  February 22, 2016, 11:38:31 pm
But I didn´t like very much when Daniel sayed:
"This is not a style."
"This is just badly adapted PotS gimmicks with a poor understanding of any of them AND how MvC Works."
Yeah, and my character has a incomplete gameplay mechanics.
And about Trextrex65:
"Furthermore who gives a fuck about trextrex anymore."
What the...?! 0_0
But is a joke character, of curse nobody cares this guy, but I edited this character for fun and HE SHOULDN´T TAKE SERIOUSLY!
you are hopeless. im leaving.
#20  February 22, 2016, 11:40:46 pm
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Who the fuck is Daniel?
#21  February 22, 2016, 11:47:12 pm
  • it's me
  • Maybe something different
    • Chile
    • koakoa@jabber.org
    • Skype - koakumadevil69
    • cowabungamugenteam.weebly.com
It both pains me and amuses me that I caused this by just creating a character named Daniel that sadly inspired this kid to go in the similar direction.

And he's talking about me.
#22  February 23, 2016, 12:07:47 am
  • Half-Dead Shinzaki
  • Meme Machine
    • USA
    • mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/24324-our-works-directory/
Do you even know what you're talking about at this point?
#23  February 23, 2016, 08:12:08 am
    • Spain
It both pains me and amuses me that I caused this by just creating a character named Daniel that sadly inspired this kid to go in the similar direction.

Everybody has his own inspiration, as I sayed I gonna improve the Trextrex65´s mechanics and movesets.
I wiil change the Mvc backdround for this:

But if you hate my own style, don´t download Trextrex65 and my future characters, OK?
#24  February 23, 2016, 03:14:31 pm
  • $AD FUCK
  • Premeditated Suicide
    • Puerto Rico
    • Skype - TheFclass97

Everybody has his own inspiration, as I sayed I gonna improve the Trextrex65´s mechanics and movesets.
I wiil change the Mvc backdround for this:

But if you hate my own style, don´t download Trextrex65 and my future characters, OK?

Well... This is hilarious.
#25  February 23, 2016, 03:16:20 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com

#26  February 23, 2016, 03:36:17 pm
    • Spain
Sorry my anger.:P
When someone opposes my likes, inspiration without respect.
I usually gets angry, but meh!
I think it´s not very important...
#27  February 23, 2016, 03:40:15 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Where was he disrespectful about your likes and inspirations?
#28  February 23, 2016, 03:43:27 pm
    • Spain
#29  February 23, 2016, 04:02:16 pm
Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 04:06:41 pm by Sin-
#30  February 23, 2016, 04:03:42 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Furthermore who gives a fuck about trextrex anymore
This is the closest thing to not respecting what you like I found. Obviously if you're making this trextrex then you must totally give several fucks. :P

Still, it's a little silly to get this angry over that statement. Just tell him cool people love trextrex so he's obviously a poser and move on. Little things like that shouldn't get to you. You have to work through anger that's triggered by such a minor thing. Use humor or jokes. Be able to make fun of yourself for liking trextrex.

That seems to be your biggest issue with these things man. You take yourself too seriously. If you read something and it makes you upset step back a moment. Try to reread it and spin it in a direction that won't upset you. Like if you and Daniel was hanging out IRL or something. Surely you have buddies that would say something like that and wouldn't even be really trying to upset you. :)
#31  February 23, 2016, 04:53:35 pm
    • Spain

What style? Your own style, or this "PotS + Infinite" combination?
My own style. :P

Furthermore who gives a fuck about trextrex anymore
This is the closest thing to not respecting what you like I found. Obviously if you're making this trextrex then you must totally give several fucks. :P

Still, it's a little silly to get this angry over that statement. Just tell him cool people love trextrex so he's obviously a poser and move on. Little things like that shouldn't get to you. You have to work through anger that's triggered by such a minor thing. Use humor or jokes. Be able to make fun of yourself for liking trextrex.

That seems to be your biggest issue with these things man. You take yourself too seriously. If you read something and it makes you upset step back a moment. Try to reread it and spin it in a direction that won't upset you. Like if you and Daniel was hanging out IRL or something. Surely you have buddies that would say something like that and wouldn't even be really trying to upset you. :)

I never liked Trextrex65 he makes hate arts but, Whats I matter?
I don´t pretend to offend anybody, is only for fun.
Oh, and thank you for your advise. :)

New #32  February 23, 2016, 05:02:38 pm

Then why did you make this topic?
Oh wait, maybe, when you made this topic, it talked about how to improve your own style, but then decided "No, let's talk about PotS and Infinite" and now you're returning to "Hey, I want to talk about my style".

Don't you see you're going off-topic again in your own topic?

Why do you keep evading that? You have to fix that habit of talking about things that don't pertain to the subject at hand.

I never liked Trextrex65 he makes hate arts but, Whats I matter?
... are you reading the posts which you're replying to?
Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 01:04:19 am by Sin-
#33  February 23, 2016, 05:04:38 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com

#34  February 23, 2016, 05:17:43 pm
There is, it's not just you.

So let me rephrase what Just No Point said:
"You must care about [that guy] if you decided to make the character / edit it / whatever you want to make with it."
masterhand, you tried to say:
"I don't care about him, I don't like him, he makes bad stuff".

But you're contradicting yourself, because you decided to edit the character / make it and that means you cared enough to take your time to make the character / edit it.

"Giving a fuck about something/someone" is a vulgar way to say "caring about something/someone".
#35  February 23, 2016, 05:34:52 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
The worst part about P.o.t.S style is that people seem to think they can just take the aesthetics and just wing it. Phantom.of.the.Server did a lot of research and actually played a lot of games to get his signature style down. Each character had their own characteristics from their respective series. Nakoruru included some material from Samurai Shodown, yet still played in a standard Capcom style; Guy included elements from Final Fight; Dan had some of his more comical moves from the VS. series and parodied fighting games he hadn't before, such as Mortal Kombat; Geese had some elements from Fatal Fury if I recall correctly.

What I'm getting at is that custom things, custom gameplay is fine (I love Warusaki3's Jill and Captain Commando to death), but you can't just make things up the entire time and expect everyone to like it. You have to have the essence of the character in there. The most basic example, Ryu, should feel like Ryu, whether he's Capcom, SNK, evil, or slightly pissed off.

You may get a lot of "nice char +1" and "another pots style character, awesome," but these people will NOT give you any valuable feedback. In fact, most valuable feedback doesn't come about these days because of numerous reasons (mostly being that those who have been known to give the best feedback are busy with their lives these days, or have had their advice ignored so much that they've just given up with trying to educate).

Research the character, try actually playing with them for a while, get used to how they feel, KNOW how they should feel. Become acquainted with their design, both in gameplay and personality. That's what made Phantom's stuff so great and why 90% of others who attempt the style make things that feel like soulless bootlegs, trying to bank on what's popular.

Most importantly, if you really want to be like Phantom.of.the.Server, you need to innovate. That may sound hard in something that seems so limited and that everything's been done before, but there are still some things that could be solved, new things to try out, and new solutions to old problems.
Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 05:51:32 pm by Jesuszilla
#36  February 23, 2016, 06:00:56 pm
  • I hate coding helpers.
That's what made Phantom's stuff so great and why 90% of others who attempt the style make things that feel like soulless bootlegs, trying to bank on what's popular.
I`m with you here. Nowadays creators treat the pseudo-CvS2 template like something that could be used for a production line.

This is why PotS` style became discredited. Everybody tries to imitate PotS` style. Nobody tries to imitate his substance. Exceptions prove the rule.
#37  February 23, 2016, 07:18:01 pm
    • Spain

Then why did you make this topic?
Oh wait, maybe, when you made this topic, it talked about how to improve your own style, but then decided "No, let's talk about PotS and Infinite" and now you're returning to "Hey, I want to talk about my style".

Don't you see you're going off-topic again in your own topic?

Ok, I will change the thrad´s name. :P

But you're contradicting yourself, because you decided to edit the character / make it and that means you cared enough to take your time to make the character / edit it.

"Giving a fuck about something/someone" is a vulgar way to say "caring about something/someone".

I realized I´m worried about Trextrex65*facepalm*.
But, I don´t want cancell my character, is very funny.I like this character is very funny.
My trextrex is a edited version of a487561 and I released this character with my incomplete style...

Re: I need tips about this style(My own style).
#38  February 23, 2016, 07:52:35 pm
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Don't do that! Get a style down first! If not for the sake of making a good character, then do it so the Angry Youtuber from Canada doesn't downvote you!
#39  February 23, 2016, 08:30:41 pm
    • Spain
Oh don´t worry my style is based of POTS but will have additional special effect, super cancels, dream cancels, a custom background(like MvC but different), parry system...
And I don´t care this troll.
Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 09:08:38 pm by masterhand128
#40  February 23, 2016, 10:21:51 pm
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
masterhand128 said:
Oh, and thank you for your advise. :)
I'm so glad we're past this awkward phase and that you're matu-
And I don´t care this troll.
Never mind.

#41  February 23, 2016, 10:30:51 pm
  • $AD FUCK
  • Premeditated Suicide
    • Puerto Rico
    • Skype - TheFclass97
The worst part about P.o.t.S style is that people seem to think they can just take the aesthetics and just wing it. Phantom.of.the.Server did a lot of research and actually played a lot of games to get his signature style down. Each character had their own characteristics from their respective series. Nakoruru included some material from Samurai Shodown, yet still played in a standard Capcom style; Guy included elements from Final Fight; Dan had some of his more comical moves from the VS. series and parodied fighting games he hadn't before, such as Mortal Kombat; Geese had some elements from Fatal Fury if I recall correctly.

What I'm getting at is that custom things, custom gameplay is fine (I love Warusaki3's Jill and Captain Commando to death), but you can't just make things up the entire time and expect everyone to like it. You have to have the essence of the character in there. The most basic example, Ryu, should feel like Ryu, whether he's Capcom, SNK, evil, or slightly pissed off.

You may get a lot of "nice char +1" and "another pots style character, awesome," but these people will NOT give you any valuable feedback. In fact, most valuable feedback doesn't come about these days because of numerous reasons (mostly being that those who have been known to give the best feedback are busy with their lives these days, or have had their advice ignored so much that they've just given up with trying to educate).

Research the character, try actually playing with them for a while, get used to how they feel, KNOW how they should feel. Become acquainted with their design, both in gameplay and personality. That's what made Phantom's stuff so great and why 90% of others who attempt the style make things that feel like soulless bootlegs, trying to bank on what's popular.

Most importantly, if you really want to be like Phantom.of.the.Server, you need to innovate. That may sound hard in something that seems so limited and that everything's been done before, but there are still some things that could be solved, new things to try out, and new solutions to old problems.

This guy gets it.

#42  February 23, 2016, 10:39:27 pm
  • Time to give back to this place. Starting now.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
JZ coming in here with truth! You can make characters, but if you have no idea on how they play and their nuances, then you will have a bad character. No matter what style you're trying to do.
#43  February 23, 2016, 10:52:57 pm
    • Spain
JZ coming in here with truth! You can make characters, but if you have no idea on how they play and their nuances, then you will have a bad character. No matter what style you're trying to do.
As I sayed, Trextrex65 has a messy gameplay, but I will balance this character in a future update and this update will have my style complete.

Here is another backdround for my style:

This "Crazy Hand" is Jango Brown, no? XD
Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 11:03:44 pm by masterhand128
#44  February 23, 2016, 11:14:56 pm
  • $AD FUCK
  • Premeditated Suicide
    • Puerto Rico
    • Skype - TheFclass97
I guess...

Wait...

Do you HAVE a style by any chance? If so, describe it (not mentioning any previous char you have made/edit, try describing something new). (Kinda what R565 said, but yeah, do you have some sort of system mechanics already planned for your char?)
#45  February 23, 2016, 11:31:03 pm
    • Spain
The style as I sayed is based of POTS but is a little altered:

-Two custom backdrounds (for the moment).
-Parry and alpha counter.
-Same super and hyper effect of POTS with a additional effect(from Daniel).
-EX moves.
-Super charger(like POTS).
-All my characters(edited or not) will have Shun Goku Satsu clones.
-All my characters(edited or not) can Dodge.
-All my characters(edited or not) will have Super Jump.
-Custom Combo System.
-Some characters will have a striker system(Crossover style, like a edited version of Ronald Mcdonald)
#46  February 23, 2016, 11:31:59 pm
    • Puerto Rico
I weeped because of how true this statement is. People eating that shit up doesn't help matters.
#47  February 24, 2016, 12:38:14 am
  • $AD FUCK
  • Premeditated Suicide
    • Puerto Rico
    • Skype - TheFclass97
The style as I sayed is based of POTS but is a little altered:

-Parry and alpha counter.
-EX moves.
-Super charger(like POTS).
-All my characters(edited or not) can Dodge.
-Custom Combo System.
-Some characters will have a striker system(Crossover style, like a edited version of Ronald Mcdonald)

Huh... Ok?
#48  February 24, 2016, 03:24:06 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Yeah man, you show Daniel who's boss by... using some of his assets? I guess that's one way to own someone.
#49  February 24, 2016, 03:25:35 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
in 2007 maybe
#50  February 24, 2016, 04:19:25 am
  • Ugandan Bruce Lee
  • We call him Bruce U!
    • Philippines
    • Skype - DerEthereal
I'm not sure if I follow, but I suppose the best way to be like PotS is to not be like PotS then?
#51  February 24, 2016, 04:58:38 am
  • stillRetired.
  • Formerly Known As Genesis
    • USA
    • www.mediafire.com/folder/7j1slkpa7lm0w/Public_Works
I think you should re-read JZ's post.
#52  February 24, 2016, 06:43:29 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
I'm not sure if I follow, but I suppose the best way to be like PotS is to not be like PotS then?
You be like PotS by studying game data and the character, and adapt it into your custom system. Also, PotS was constantly changing his system. I mean, look at PotS' Ryu VS his Geese.
#53  February 24, 2016, 01:12:40 pm
    • Spain
In my opinion I like using POTS style, but combining with other styles. :P
#54  February 24, 2016, 01:34:51 pm
i couldn't leave, one final thing to say.
this is all what you seem to care about, effects and shitty backgrounds. all style no substance. it's a shame, you were given some good advices here and you never even bothered to understand them.
why? you're not gonna put aerial combos. are they just for the lulz? "WOW COOL CHAR JUMP VERY HIGH!"
#55  February 24, 2016, 01:46:50 pm
    • Spain
i couldn't leave, one final thing to say.
this is all what you seem to care about, effects and shitty backgrounds. all style no substance. it's a shame, you were given some good advices here and you never even bothered to understand them.

I think these backgrounds are not sh*tty(like MvC) after all:
why? you're not gonna put aerial combos. are they just for the lulz? "WOW COOL CHAR JUMP VERY HIGH!"
I forgot! :P
I will put Aerial combos.
#56  February 24, 2016, 01:49:26 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - TatariZane2009
Even by both Pots and MvC standards, those backgrounds look way too flashy for it to be a super bg. 1st one doesn't even make sense as one.
#57  February 24, 2016, 01:56:29 pm
    • Spain
I will edit the frame of the 1st background for making more sense and, Why everybody hates flashy backgrounds?
I am used to flashy effects.
#58  February 24, 2016, 02:17:01 pm
  • Sr. Black Person
  • Mess with the chuchu you get the pewpew
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/kamekaze/
because its seen as more of an eye sore than something creative. And even so what you described your stuff will play like sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen. You have all these people trying to be helpful and you're basically going "Well I'm doing it like I said anyway it will be fine I promise" which is a great way to sound like you're building something with no blueprint.
Want to feel useful for a useless show? click here
118/150 Chars, I'm not dead yet....the true surprise is in my thread.
Hahahah fuck you photobucket.
#59  February 24, 2016, 02:22:23 pm
1st one doesn't even make sense as one.

Because 2OS (the author of the effect) intended and used it as an attack for one of his characters (Inazumachi—Hyperion, which is 2OS's version of Mizuchi, uses it and it's a full screen attack).
#60  February 24, 2016, 02:23:12 pm
I really don't get the attraction of these hyper-visual effects on low-res sprites. It's like, do you realize you're plastering a overly bright and colorful background that looks more in place with BlazBlue, DBFC, or any other modern anime fighter. On a pixelated 2D sprite made in the 90s? Shit makes me barf.
#61  February 24, 2016, 02:25:01 pm
    • Spain
Ok, I will change the backgrounds for preventing the sore eyes.
And I know I´m doing, I will make good characters and I will study the POTS style.
Only I want to be creative.
#62  February 24, 2016, 02:25:51 pm
#63  February 24, 2016, 02:27:55 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Well gameplay wise I guess if he throws in everything he says he will maybe seeing it in action himself will show him how mishmashed and thrown together it is. And even if that doesn't happen I guess it'll give him a lot of experience coding different mechanics??? :p

In the end if it's what he really wants to make he should. Now if he's just doing it all to try and make something popular I'd ill advise it.
#64  February 24, 2016, 02:30:29 pm
    • Spain
Only I want to be creative.
Then get rid of this:

I like the Shun Goku Satsu moves but I will to vary.
Each character will have his own thematic for using this move.

I really don't get the attraction of these hyper-visual effects on low-res sprites. It's like, do you realize you're plastering a overly bright and colorful background that looks more in place with BlazBlue, DBFC, or any other modern anime fighter. On a pixelated 2D sprite made in the 90s? Shit makes me barf.

I usually like, advanced effects. But I will use a less flashy backgrounds.

Well gameplay wise I guess if he throws in everything he says he will maybe seeing it in action himself will show him how mishmashed and thrown together it is. And even if that doesn't happen I guess it'll give him a lot of experience coding different mechanics??? :p

In the end if it's what he really wants to make he should. Now if he's just doing it all to try and make something popular I'd ill advise it.

Don´t worry, I know I´m doing I think the BG are very flashy. But I won´t remove the things I like.
Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 02:56:07 pm by masterhand128
#65  February 24, 2016, 03:35:19 pm
    • Spain
#66  February 24, 2016, 04:35:11 pm
  • Sr. Black Person
    • USA
ok so this entire thread was just for you to promote yourself rather than any actual advice. Got it.

DM

#67  February 24, 2016, 04:41:28 pm
    • Brazil
    • www.rickiecreations.paodemugen.com.br
I don't get the whole point of this thread.

But this was awesome:

I don't get the "style" thing anyway. Is it the aesthetic fx combined with the mechanics? That's what I think of with a certain "style". Along with my interpretation of the way a character would convert to said style.

So on the large you would simply need all the mechanics and sub systems used in POTS style along with universal fx? That seems more akin to researching those characters than just making a thread as this.

As an example if I was to convert Ken to Darkstalkers style I'd start with how the DS system would alter his play style on a universal level like he'd get magic series chains, guard reversals, pursuits, es attacks, ex attacks, etc. Then if fine tune him more because typical super moves don't translate well in most cases for es or ex attacks. And I'd refine him further to differentiate him more from Ryu after that. Because Vampire Savior didn't have clones. Even Morrigan and Lilith are totally different in how you play them.

Style isn't something you ask for info on. It's something you study, understand, and replicate.

#68  February 24, 2016, 04:42:00 pm
And the "don't like it don't download it" line got dropped again.
#69  February 24, 2016, 04:46:38 pm
the kid doesn't give a shit about anything related to gameplay. he just wants to see some bright colors flash in front of his screen.

DM

#70  February 24, 2016, 04:47:07 pm
    • Brazil
I like HI-RES BG and if you don´t like, don´t download my characters with this style. XD

Are you trying to 'set' your own style and bashing people who waste their time trying to help you? lol mate
#71  February 24, 2016, 05:19:24 pm
  • Half-Dead Shinzaki
  • Meme Machine
    • USA
So in other words, this thread was nothing but a gigantic waste of our precious time.
#72  February 24, 2016, 06:01:59 pm
    • Spain
the kid doesn't give a shit about anything related to gameplay. he just wants to see some bright colors flash in front of his screen.

Excuse me?
Yes, I will research the gameplay of POTS chars but I don´t have many time.
For this reason first I´m researching backgrounds with Hi-res effects but with less flash effects.
#73  February 24, 2016, 06:14:47 pm
  • Ugandan Bruce Lee
  • We call him Bruce U!
    • Philippines
    • Skype - DerEthereal
Please don't tell me you were prioritising the flashy effects associated with PotS-styled characters over gameplay.
#74  February 24, 2016, 06:15:03 pm
  • ♫ Red Fraction ♫
    • youtube.com/DemonicKirishima
I feel so sad for Scharlachrot.
#75  February 24, 2016, 06:16:24 pm
    • Spain
ok so this entire thread was just for you to promote yourself rather than any actual advice. Got it.

I´m spamming?! 0_0
Sorry, I did not realize...*facepalm*
I will shut up, sorry :P

Please don't tell me you were prioritising the flashy effects associated with PotS-styled characters over gameplay.
I think the gameplay is more important than the trimmings...
But I don´t have many time for researching the gameplay.

Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 06:21:34 pm by masterhand128
#76  February 24, 2016, 07:12:26 pm
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1

Why don't you have time? Just go slower and get it right. There's no rush to release something out the gates as quickly as possible, take your time, this is a hobby after all.

.... Or are you saying you don't have the patience to make an accurate character?
#77  February 24, 2016, 07:23:01 pm
  • Sr. Black Person
    • USA
I´m spamming?! 0_0
Sorry, I did not realize...*facepalm*
I will shut up, sorry :P

Not sure if sarcasm. Look, your thread was called "I need tips..." ergo that means people thought this thread was about giving you advice on making stuff and not you just ignoring the parts you dont like and saying what your style is going to be regardless of the fact that it contradicts almost all advice given to you. Now this thread is basically becoming a shit show.
#78  February 24, 2016, 07:27:35 pm
  • it's me
    • Chile
    • koakoa@jabber.org
    • Skype - koakumadevil69

I am going to be more constructive this time.
There's noone pressuring you not to research, there's many ways you can do it, for example there's wikias that detail certain games, with all things such as subsystem details, gameplay esoterics, and even frame data lists you can take a look and adapt. For example I could find everything about Morrigan and Vampire Savior on the mizuumi wikia for instance; I am not sure if there's a wikia for CvS2 which is what PotS used the most, but people have researched deep into games and educated their knowledge further about them, so many experts are around and you can ask them, in fact you EVEN GOT THEIR ADVICE FROM THEM in this thread.. the problem is that you're getting distracted by things that are done to death (Shun Goku Satsus) as if it were a gameplay feature, people see it nowadays as "The author got lazy and just coded an easy super throw to fill a slot". Instead of favoring more creative choices that implement better into a character's gameplay, which is what people WANT.

Also I have to clarify, Trextrex as a character idea is not very good because the person it's based off is a dead obvious troll that should be left alone. It just gives him more unwarranted attention, and when I raised opposition as you using "PotS+Daniel" as a style is because I don't want you to commit the same mistakes I did in my character, as in adding stuff just because "it looks cool".

DM

#79  February 24, 2016, 07:29:51 pm
    • Brazil
You are just leaving the most important part of the whole thing, you know.
#80  February 24, 2016, 07:49:35 pm
    • Puerto Rico
So in other words, this thread was nothing but a gigantic waste of our precious time.

^

Just let the kid do his mishmash character. Someone's going to say Nice Char +1 to it and make videos showing it off because of eye rape effects.
#81  February 24, 2016, 07:59:26 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA

Excuse me?
For this reason first I´m researching backgrounds with Hi-res effects but with less flash effects.
For the last time, don't research the fucking MUGEN characters, research the SOURCE GAMES. It's not that hard, especially when it's possible to make tools based on my scripts that can hand you the data. You don't even have to do the 16-bit float conversions, it does that shit for you. You don't even have to calculate the change in velocity for accelerations, it does that shit for you. The only thing you have to do to get correct hitboxes is pay attention to what's on the screen (which, right now means running MAME-rr side-by-side so I should REALLY add a hitbox display for my VSav script) and click a button.

You're not researching what's important, and how old are you, to say you don't have much time? I'm 24 (almost 25), I work 9 hours a day, and I still have SOME time to do this. If you're in college, I can understand and you can stop reading this paragraph, but if you're in high school, sorry to break it to ya, but high school is a joke and will likely be the last time in your life you'll have that much time, time I wish I had spent more wisely.

I want the next PotS, Warusaki3, or Vans. I really do. But you have to understand some basics in order to make that happen.
#82  February 24, 2016, 08:11:45 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
This isn't meant to insult him in the least because hey not everyone has to love fighters. But I'm thinking he's not deep into the way fighters actually play. If he doesn't really play the fighters we are talking about then it's no wonder he just pulls things from the air and what's popular. Or what he likes to see in watch mode on MUGEN. And again that isn't a bad thing. Not everyone has to be into fighters hardcore to enjoy MUGEN.

And all these suggestions probably wouldn't work for TrexTrex anyway as I doubt he has enough sprites to pull off a full conversion from a legit fighter. If it has enough animation to make a fighter at all :P

The sprites he wants to use seem to be from obscure troll or joke characters. So all the feedback we've been giving is probably moot anyway.
#83  February 24, 2016, 08:23:48 pm
thank you, very good advice i will research gamep-

WOW PRETTY COLORS!!!
i will use and if you don't like, don't download okay?
#84  February 24, 2016, 09:36:44 pm
    • Spain
Hey, everybody!
Thank you for your advices!
Yes, I will research first the POTS gameplay and about SGS I´m a fan of this move but I think I won´t abuse.
About Trextrex65, I think leaving this character will hurt me, I like making(or editing) joke characters and I need updating him and yes, his sprites are very sh*ty is from walfas...
I like put my style in characters of all types.
I don´t have many time because, I study a lot of things.
Oh and sorry my likes about BG, but after researching the POTS style I will put BG for my style.

Edit: Oh, wait!

Excuse me?
For the last time, don't research the fucking MUGEN characters, research the SOURCE GAMES. It's not that hard, especially when it's possible to make tools based on my scripts that can hand you the data. You don't even have to do the 16-bit float conversions, it does that shit for you. You don't even have to calculate the change in velocity for accelerations, it does that shit for you. The only thing you have to do to get correct hitboxes is pay attention to what's on the screen (which, right now means running MAME-rr side-by-side so I should REALLY add a hitbox display for my VSav script) and click a button.

You're not researching what's important, and how old are you, to say you don't have much time? I'm 24 (almost 25), I work 9 hours a day, and I still have SOME time to do this. If you're in college, I can understand and you can stop reading this paragraph, but if you're in high school, sorry to break it to ya, but high school is a joke and will likely be the last time in your life you'll have that much time, time I wish I had spent more wisely.

I want the next PotS, Warusaki3, or Vans. I really do. But you have to understand some basics in order to make that happen.

Ummm, good idea, I will watch Youtube videos for investigating the SOURCE GAMES and I will improve the hittboxes.

Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:45:16 pm by masterhand128

DM

#85  February 24, 2016, 09:43:32 pm
    • Brazil
You should research the original games instead of chars, just like Jesuszilla said. But take your time and good luck anyways.
Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:47:38 pm by DM
#86  February 24, 2016, 09:52:50 pm
  • ♫ Red Fraction ♫
    • youtube.com/DemonicKirishima
#87  February 24, 2016, 09:56:42 pm
    • Spain
Yes, it is. :P
Also I have to clarify, Trextrex as a character idea is not very good because the person it's based off is a dead obvious troll.

A, TROLL?! 0_0
OMG, are you joking?!
I´m not like this guy, but I think it was one of the worst creator I have seen in my life...
Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:01:23 pm by masterhand128
#88  February 24, 2016, 10:03:29 pm
  • Half-Dead Shinzaki
  • Meme Machine
    • USA
You act as if Trextrex being a troll is some sort of shocking revelation to you.
#89  February 24, 2016, 10:06:09 pm
    • Spain
No, I´m not referring Trextrex65.
I´m referring the author who made this character(I might :P).
#90  February 24, 2016, 10:09:17 pm
  • it's me
    • Chile
    • koakoa@jabber.org
    • Skype - koakumadevil69
#91  February 24, 2016, 10:18:36 pm
    • Spain
What the heck is a "walfas"?

Walfas is a flash application where you can make, joke comics.
Also it means a rare draw here is a example:

I feel so sad for Scharlachrot.

LOL, did you know this girl has 14 years old?
I put this character because Trextrex hates provocative girls and insults "pedophile" to everybody.
He is very stupid, Matrix Pedobear, Gonzalo pedophile,... meh!
#92  February 24, 2016, 10:23:09 pm
  • Half-Dead Shinzaki
  • Meme Machine
    • USA
#93  February 24, 2016, 10:23:24 pm
#94  February 24, 2016, 10:28:23 pm
    • Spain
Your parody is very good! XD.
Good, work for teaching me!

EDIT:

And all these suggestions probably wouldn't work for TrexTrex anyway as I doubt he has enough sprites to pull off a full conversion from a legit fighter. If it has enough animation to make a fighter at all :P

The sprites he wants to use seem to be from obscure troll or joke characters. So all the feedback we've been giving is probably moot anyway.

The sprites are very complete.
And the "sprites" was made by Pgrs111MAGEN, a infamous creator for making spriteswaps.
Pgrs111MAGEN made a version of him but was remade by a487561 and more later edited by me. :P
All the versions was released.

Note: The current version of my edited Trextrex is V1.1 and probably, I will update with my own style implemented and "modernized" gameplay, this version will be the V2.0(The final and definitive version).
Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 11:24:27 pm by masterhand128
#95  February 24, 2016, 11:27:37 pm
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Throw this thread down The Witching Well Shit Thread.
#96  February 24, 2016, 11:29:46 pm
    • Spain
Update:
Jmorphman has changed my topic, probably I was wrong the section of this thread, but I´m OK. :P
#97  February 24, 2016, 11:32:36 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Glad you made it through the thread moving process unharmed......... :pokerface:

lui

#98  February 24, 2016, 11:36:42 pm
    • USA
seriously dude, you really need to improve your english if you want to understand what we're saying, because it seems you haven't learned one bit about what we're saying to you.
#99  February 24, 2016, 11:43:15 pm
    • Spain
Sh*t, f*** my engrish(or english?)!
Anyways, I'm going to sleep.
I will study tomorrow, good night. :)
#100  February 25, 2016, 11:41:09 am
#101  February 25, 2016, 01:52:24 pm
    • Spain
Update:

Currently, I have found some cool bac....
Is a joke! XD

Currently I´m searching wikis for research more later the game mechanics and of curse the characters of these series and after this, I will put the less important, these "trimmings" .

Here is the wikis:

I don´t know if I´m really in the good direction.

Note: I don´t know if I really need alter my style and I thing change a little my Trextrex´s gameplay is necessary because he doens´t have a appropriate gameplay for general rules.

Oh, I study in a night institute but very soon I will have A LOT OF EXAMS and I need study very much, for this reason I don´t have many time for researching important things. :P

DM

#102  February 25, 2016, 02:31:24 pm
    • Brazil
You should play the games as well. Take your time and dont rush things. Mugen is about fun (most of times).
When you got some free time, try playing one of these games and see how things works.
#103  February 25, 2016, 02:33:56 pm
Just do things at your own pace and follow the tips people have given you. If you do your characters will be good. :)
Good luck with the exams.
#104  February 25, 2016, 08:46:21 pm
    • Spain
Hey, guys, It is my free time(but unfortunately, I still can´t research the mechanics and characters of these games).

I have a doubt, is a good idea to combine various mechanics from other games or it depends?

Note:Unfortunately, I don´t have these games but as I sayed, I can watch youtube videos about gameplays...
#105  February 25, 2016, 09:46:39 pm
I have a doubt, is a good idea to combine various mechanics from other games or it depends?
Try them together and see if some are redundant or not.

E.g. (<- this is the acronym for "exempli gratia" and it means "for example" ;))
chain combos + custom combo don't work together, because the custom combo enables chain combos (albeit a bit differently), so having two of the same thing wouldn't make much sense.
So you would choose one over the other (you could choose to have chain combos and not have the custom combo, or viceversa).

If you find the correct balance in all the features you want to implement, you'll get a good character.
Of course to find it you would need to remove some.
Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 11:26:43 pm by Sin-
#106  February 25, 2016, 10:18:28 pm
    • Spain
And what difference is between custom combo and chain combo? :confused:
#107  February 25, 2016, 11:11:42 pm
  • $AD FUCK
  • Premeditated Suicide
    • Puerto Rico
    • Skype - TheFclass97
And what difference is between custom combo and chain combo? :confused:

More freedom, heavier damage scaling, moves chain one after another (like heavy punch into heavy punch), time limit, stuff like that.

This refers to how custom combos work btw (from my experience with SF alpha 3, CvS2 and any mugen char with custom combo).
#108  February 26, 2016, 11:40:03 am
But you have to think those games (CvS2, SFA3 V-ISM) don't have chain combos like in the Vs series (MvC, MSHvSF etc.); if you compare CvS2 and MvC you'll realize they're totally different from a gameplay standpoint.
#109  February 26, 2016, 01:25:45 pm
    • Spain
Ummm, recently I have seen two videos about these combos:

Custom combos:

Chain combos:

I researched Peter Griffin´s Luigi-Master and I prefer using Chain combos(In my personal opinion).
Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 01:37:19 pm by masterhand128
#110  February 26, 2016, 02:22:46 pm
  • Sr. Black Person
    • USA
#111  February 26, 2016, 02:36:48 pm
    • Spain
Hey Kamekaze, thank you for your information. :)
OK, i will implement the Chain Combo system because, for me is a more simple system and I think the custom combo is very complex and I don´t see appeal. :P
But don´t worry, I know I´m doing and I will try to balance my characters(including Trextrex).
Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 02:51:50 pm by masterhand128
#112  February 26, 2016, 09:14:19 pm
    • Spain
UPDATE:

Hello, guys.
Here is another doubt, I realized my character Trextrex65 has two helpers systems(The common and Scharlachrot), if I have two mechanics I don´t see any balance.
I think the solution is making a configuration mode(like Warusaki´s characters), is maybe a good idea?
#113  February 27, 2016, 05:16:33 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Just choose one or the other. At this point in your MUGEN career, keep things simple.
#114  February 27, 2016, 12:07:37 pm
    • Spain
OK, in this case, I will remove the old helper system and I will keep the Scharlachrot´s system. :)