YesNoOk

[SOLVED] Is this TRASH, on the root of my Local Disk (C:\)? (Read 4776 times)

Started by Jerk McDouchebag, October 23, 2011, 07:47:48 pm
Share this topic:
[SOLVED] Is this TRASH, on the root of my Local Disk (C:\)?
#1  October 23, 2011, 07:47:48 pm
  • Tenchi Socaiguen
    • Puerto Rico
What's trash, What can or can't i delete & what is part of the OS and shouldn't be touched?
From the selected ones only.

Inside of some folders...
Boot = A bunch of Language files
Config.Msi = Empty
found.000 = 1 file = file0000.chk
found.001 = 1 file = file0000.chk
MSOCache = 1 folder named 'All Users'
 - All Users = 8 folders
 -- {90120000-00A1-0409-0000-0000000FF1CE}-C
 -- {90120000-001B-0409-0000-0000000FF1CE}-C
 -- {90120000-002C-0409-0000-0000000FF1CE}-C
 -- {90120000-0010-0409-0000-0000000FF1CE}-C
 -- {90120000-0016-0409-0000-0000000FF1CE}-C
 -- {90120000-0018-0409-0000-0000000FF1CE}-C
 -- {90120000-0115-0409-0000-0000000FF1CE}-C
 -- {91120000-002F-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}-C
 |- Inside these folders are some Powerpoint and onenote installer like .exe(s).
Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 12:04:35 am by Jerk McDouchebag
Re: Is this TRASH, on the root of my Local Disk (C:\)?
#2  October 23, 2011, 07:51:06 pm
  • You must defeat my spriteswaps to stand a chance.
    • USA
Check inside the folders to see if there are any programs that you installed that you don't need.
#3  October 24, 2011, 02:18:45 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I would not delete any of those; what are you running, xp ?
#4  October 24, 2011, 02:21:20 am
  • It does not block punches. Stop trying, we are dumb fucks spamming this site for ten yearss!
    • Argentina
Everything there seems to be fine.
Are you suspecting of virus or something like that?
#5  October 24, 2011, 02:23:25 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
What's highlighted looks to me like important stuff for the OS to run properly.
MSO looks like the computer's registry data, which you should leave alone unless you're sure you know what you're doing.
#6  October 24, 2011, 03:42:09 am
    • Edtion.TK
$RECYCLE.BIN: a shortcut to your own recycler folder
Boot: I don't remember, but I don't think it was important
Config.Msi: some old installation files. You probably don't need them (but you may not be able to delete them)
found.000: files that were recovered during CHKDSK (check disk)
found.001: files that were recovered the second time (btw, you're likely missing some files somewhere, because chkdsk deletes them without notice  ;P)
RECYCLER: contains recycle bin folders for everyone
System Recovery: just some files windows would check incase your os crashes or have some other problem, and needs help repairing
System Volume Information: stores some folders and files telling windows about your harddrive, you can't touch it anyway.

aaw7boot: never saw it
AUTOEXEC: IDK
boot: this is just your text settings for what you see when "windows" start. You can change it, but only do so if you know what you're doing.
BOOT.BAK: this is a backup for incase you're stupid enough to mess with boot*.ini* and can't startup windows again  ::).
BOOT.BKK: IDK
bootmgr: I thought this was windows vista's boot.ini, but idk.
BOOTSECT.BAK: IDK
config: a windows' system file
CONFIG: i don't know what this one is
hiberfil: a backup cache for hibernation. This file should be like 1.5gb, and it allows you to enter hibernation (it's basically turning off the pc, and allowing you to load back every window you had open when you turn the pc back on)
IO: system
MSDOS: system
NTDETECT: IDK
ntldr: this is a required system file, without which you wouldn't be able to start windows anywhere past an error about it being missing
pagefile: this is your virtual ram. by default, windows set it to like 50%-150% of your system's physical ram.
USER: this is telling windows who's logged on right now

Basically, all of the files should be left alone.  If you really wanted to delete any of them, because you want space or just don't like clutter or something, then you can try your luck with "[the folders in RECYCLER (they'll recreate themselves), found.000, found.001, Not Needed, temp, xp3tools, aaw7boot, AUTOEXEC"
If you want to delete hiberfil, then go to the power options and somewhere in there would be the option to disable system hibernation.
If you want to reduce the size of pagefile, then go to system properties>>advanced, under Performance click Settings>>advanced>>Change virtual memory

DISCLAIMER NOTE: I am not a professional and while some of those files are probably useless, I can not guarantee any safety for you upon renaming/moving/deleting any of them without a full understanding of the files and what they do. I can however assure you that most of those files are windows' and they present no more problems than disc usage.

Pal

#7  October 25, 2011, 06:30:06 pm
    • Argentina
Edtion got most right. I'll answer the ones he didn't:

aaw7boot: It seems to be created by Ad Aware for its boot cleaning utility.
BOOT.BKK: Another backup.
bootmgr: Boot manager file. Important.
BOOTSECT.BAK: Backup.
CONFIG: Important system file.
NTDETECT: Important system file.
MSOCache: Folder for Microsoft Office, mostly contains temporary files.

NONE of those files are trash.
Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:28:15 am by Pal
#8  October 25, 2011, 07:51:41 pm
  • Just a butcher on a mission
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends
AUTOEXEC.BAT was a necessary part of the msdos subsystem and should not be deleted.  Edit it and you'll see it's a dummy file.
Since MSDos isn't actually supported by windows anymore, they were at least kind enough to make sure certain DLLs still function the same.
#9  October 25, 2011, 10:21:31 pm
    • Edtion.TK
There was no "MSOconfig" files.
I knew aaw7boot wasn't a required windows file, but you seem to know as much about it as I do  ;P.
I didn't give a description of those others because I'm not sure what they actually do (aside from take up space and be there for windows >.>)
CONFIG isn't config*.sys*, so I assume it's just "CONFIG" and I would have no idea what it is  :S.

The NTDETECT file, I assume it's "New Technology Detector" to detect whether or not the system is using NTFS (new technology file system). But I can't really say, so ignored  ::).

But this description can be completely ignored as I go back to learning how to hack

Pal

#10  October 26, 2011, 12:33:31 am
    • Argentina
Yeah sorry, it was MSOCache.

And CONFIG is a very importart part of the system, along with SYSTEM, SAM, SOFTWARE and SECURITY (those four under C:\Windows\system32\config) and the system keeps a backup of those 5 files without extension under System Volume Information.

If one of those is deleted, Windows will show a black screen saying that the files is damaged or missing as it requires them to function. I've seen that error countless times and it brings bad memories.
#11  October 26, 2011, 03:32:52 am
    • Edtion.TK
Shows how helpful those 'backup' files are  ::), I restarted my computer and some of them were gone from the so called 'backup' and from system32. Everything else was there though.
New #12  October 27, 2011, 12:02:38 am
  • Tenchi Socaiguen
    • Puerto Rico
wow guys, thanks.

I would not delete any of those; what are you running, xp ?
Windows XP Service Pack 2 -> Upgraded to Service Pack 3

Everything there seems to be fine.
Are you suspecting of virus or something like that?
Not really am just doing some cleaning.

What's highlighted looks to me like important stuff for the OS to run properly.
MSO looks like the computer's registry data, which you should leave alone unless you're sure you know what you're doing.
Thanks, i wont mess with that then.

$RECYCLE.BIN: a shortcut to your own recycler folder
Boot: I don't remember, but I don't think it was important
Config.Msi: some old installation files. You probably don't need them (but you may not be able to delete them)
found.000: files that were recovered during CHKDSK (check disk)
found.001: files that were recovered the second time (btw, you're likely missing some files somewhere, because chkdsk deletes them without notice  ;P)
RECYCLER: contains recycle bin folders for everyone
System Recovery: just some files windows would check incase your os crashes or have some other problem, and needs help repairing
System Volume Information: stores some folders and files telling windows about your harddrive, you can't touch it anyway.

aaw7boot: never saw it
AUTOEXEC: IDK
boot: this is just your text settings for what you see when "windows" start. You can change it, but only do so if you know what you're doing.
BOOT.BAK: this is a backup for incase you're stupid enough to mess with boot*.ini* and can't startup windows again  ::).
BOOT.BKK: IDK
bootmgr: I thought this was windows vista's boot.ini, but idk.
BOOTSECT.BAK: IDK
config: a windows' system file
CONFIG: i don't know what this one is
hiberfil: a backup cache for hibernation. This file should be like 1.5gb, and it allows you to enter hibernation (it's basically turning off the pc, and allowing you to load back every window you had open when you turn the pc back on)
IO: system
MSDOS: system
NTDETECT: IDK
ntldr: this is a required system file, without which you wouldn't be able to start windows anywhere past an error about it being missing
pagefile: this is your virtual ram. by default, windows set it to like 50%-150% of your system's physical ram.
USER: this is telling windows who's logged on right now

Basically, all of the files should be left alone.  If you really wanted to delete any of them, because you want space or just don't like clutter or something, then you can try your luck with "[the folders in RECYCLER (they'll recreate themselves), found.000, found.001, Not Needed, temp, xp3tools, aaw7boot, AUTOEXEC"
If you want to delete hiberfil, then go to the power options and somewhere in there would be the option to disable system hibernation.
If you want to reduce the size of pagefile, then go to system properties>>advanced, under Performance click Settings>>advanced>>Change virtual memory

DISCLAIMER NOTE: I am not a professional and while some of those files are probably useless, I can not guarantee any safety for you upon renaming/moving/deleting any of them without a full understanding of the files and what they do. I can however assure you that most of those files are windows' and they present no more problems than disc usage.
Your post was a massive help, Thanks very much.

Edtion got most right. I'll answer the ones he didn't:

aaw7boot: It seems to be created by Ad Aware for its boot cleaning utility.
BOOT.BKK: Another backup.
bootmgr: Boot manager file. Important.
BOOTSECT.BAK: Backup.
CONFIG: Important system file.
NTDETECT: Important system file.
MSOCache: Folder for Microsoft Office, mostly contains temporary files.

NONE of those files are trash.
Thanks, nice to know what those are.

AUTOEXEC.BAT was a necessary part of the msdos subsystem and should not be deleted.  Edit it and you'll see it's a dummy file.
Since MSDos isn't actually supported by windows anymore, they were at least kind enough to make sure certain DLLs still function the same.
I never knew that, thanks.
Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 12:06:21 am by Jerk McDouchebag