YesNoOk

What is your view on religion? (Read 14745 times)

Started by Duo Solo, March 04, 2011, 05:18:35 pm
Share this topic:

Poll

Do you believe in God?

Yes
No
Undecided
Re: What is your view on religion?
#281  April 04, 2011, 12:02:05 am
  • I got a PM.
I would like to add that I couldn't spell placebo for the life of me. Place bo... Fuck you Latin... Fuck you.
#282  April 04, 2011, 05:17:54 am
There is value in both science and spirituality.  Both can have a place in one's life.  Religious people have been misportrayed as inflexible and exclusive quite a lot lately, a story that in my experience is rarely realistic.  In the U.S., I find that after the "Great Push Back Against Christianity Because George Bush Was Religious and the Europeans Thought He Was a Redneck So Let's Ridicule Religious People and Call Them Backwards in an Effort to Curry Favor with the International Community So They Won't Overcharge Us When We Travel Abroad and Maybe We Can Get That Hot Parisian Girl to Sleep With Us if We Can Prove How Self-Loathing We Are" movement of 2001 to present, it is often the self-described atheists and vociferously unreligious who are more intolerant of religious people, not vice versa.  In fact, whenever I meet one of these people, it seems like the first thing they want me to know about them is how unreligious they are, and how ignorant they feel people of faith must be.  Then they talk about it ad nauseum. 

All this talk over what we disagree about.  Pointless, a waste of time.  I believe in violence as the great cosmic equalizer.  Let me believe what I believe.  If it really just doesn't sit right with you that I'm over here satisfied with my belief system, we can have a fucking fist fight, and the person left standing with intact cranial plates and six to eight quarts of blood still inside their body can go on doing what they want.  Now that's a belief system I can get behind.

Try and keep it civil.

Oh.
Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 05:25:59 am by Atomic
#283  April 04, 2011, 06:11:04 am
  • I got a PM.
While there maybe some truth in your statement... There is a lot that is not. Reagan was the slow simmer of the religious nuts... It grew further during Bush and Clinton... Then it became batshit crazy under Bush Jr. Now we have the republican party even slowly splitting with the nut cases and they call it the Tea party, which at first was a place for libertarians to get a voice, but they were soon swallowed up by religious nuts.

It even started before Reagan, with asshats sticking "In god we trust" on money an the inclusion of "Under god" in our pledge.

Take your eyes out of the political world and look at the none political. Movements such as museums we people riding dinosaurs. Those are not political things. Look at that asshat that burned the Koran.

It is more than politics... There has been a movement to make this country a religious state. To bring it back to politics... Many politicians say things like, "We are Christian nation." and they say we always have been.

Most Christians will not notice these changes, because they are ethnocentric and they don't care, just like I wouldn't care of unions were growing in numbers in power.

The push back has been building a very very long time and now it is on blast. You say you respect the violence equalizer. Well.... One day that maybe coming. I imagine that the day we start adding cybernetics, nano tech, stem cells, and cloning to our non-natural evolution... We will have to see how your equalizer works.

Also the other side of that would be the population problem. The future could easily not see those technological advances, and food shortages and economic destruction could also result in your equalizer... but in this case, it would be religions fighting each other. We maybe seeing the start of that now, with Muslims and Christians being at each other's throats. Remember your history and the last time we had a giant empire fall... Then it was the crusades.  History maybe repeating itself.

In short... Be careful what you wish for.

P.S. There is a place that has your fantasy cosmic equalizer. It is called prison.
Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 10:20:52 am by Shamrock
#284  April 04, 2011, 10:15:16 am
  • Spoiler
  • let's bring order to chaos
    • Mexico
    • none
have you see that me, Iced and Shamrock have given you links with information, debates, videos or documentaries what you probably have ignored?

not to sound rude, but this is started to be like IRL, religious people just defending their beliefs with their faith, bible and their twisted knowledge in most of the cases... and to be honest, not anyone will be convinced with it...

also, talking about "religions"this is something I saw a few days ago and was great!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU6yxHz8zic
            Zorf Giudecca
#285  April 04, 2011, 10:20:21 am
  • I'm watching you.
isn't that vid already posted. ::)
★★★
Admin in disguise

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#286  April 04, 2011, 09:01:47 pm
While there maybe some truth in your statement... There is a lot that is not. Reagan was the slow simmer of the religious nuts... It grew further during Bush and Clinton... Then it became batshit crazy under Bush Jr. Now we have the republican party even slowly splitting with the nut cases and they call it the Tea party, which at first was a place for libertarians to get a voice, but they were soon swallowed up by religious nuts.

It even started before Reagan, with asshats sticking "In god we trust" on money an the inclusion of "Under god" in our pledge.

Take your eyes out of the political world and look at the none political. Movements such as museums we people riding dinosaurs. Those are not political things. Look at that asshat that burned the Koran.

It is more than politics... There has been a movement to make this country a religious state. To bring it back to politics... Many politicians say things like, "We are Christian nation." and they say we always have been.

Most Christians will not notice these changes, because they are ethnocentric and they don't care, just like I wouldn't care of unions were growing in numbers in power.

The push back has been building a very very long time and now it is on blast. You say you respect the violence equalizer. Well.... One day that maybe coming. I imagine that the day we start adding cybernetics, nano tech, stem cells, and cloning to our non-natural evolution... We will have to see how your equalizer works.

Also the other side of that would be the population problem. The future could easily not see those technological advances, and food shortages and economic destruction could also result in your equalizer... but in this case, it would be religions fighting each other. We maybe seeing the start of that now, with Muslims and Christians being at each other's throats. Remember your history and the last time we had a giant empire fall... Then it was the crusades.  History maybe repeating itself.

P.S. There is a place that has your fantasy cosmic equalizer. It is called prison.

There is untruth to your accusations of untruth.  Yes, pushback against religion is historically cyclical, but is in a period of intensification over the last decade.  In fact, you perfectly illustrate the sentiment of my point here:
Then it became batshit crazy under Bush Jr.
You may not recognize it as a personal bias in your head, but on the screen you can see here that you're demonstrating my statement while simultaneously trying to refute it.

Also, politics is inextricable from a discussion about science vs. religion.  They're simply not mutually exclusive. 

Not my first rodeo.  I don't necessarily hope for violence, but due to experience I know the certainty of it, and thus view the constant bickering as tiresome and pointless.  Violence is ultimately the only thing that can solve an ideological disagreement.  The disagreeing parties are too emotionally invested in their world views, and will not be able to convince each other of the efficacy of their respective ideologies.  Eventually the discussion must degenerate into insults.  Insults degenerate into intransigence.  Intransigence degenerates into violence.  It's human nature, The Old Way.  We humans aren't that far out of the trees.  Resistance is futile.  Might as well choose your side and oil your weapon.
#287  April 04, 2011, 11:13:29 pm
  • I got a PM.
constant bickering as tiresome and pointless.

Nah... The world is slow mover but it moves none the less. Communication is the slow simmer of all understanding and progress. To borrow a phrase, bicker, talk, communicate, learn, and have the "patience of Job"

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#288  April 05, 2011, 12:12:15 am
  • I have plans for those teeth!
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
#289  April 05, 2011, 03:39:41 am
Violence is ultimately the only thing that can solve an ideological disagreement.
That is a ludicrous, unbelievably pessimistic attitude.

Pessimistic?  I'd call it realistic, tempered by almost a decade of experience in all manner of degenerative hellholes around the world where humans are ended because their beliefs or lifestyles don't jibe with the local strongman's.  I didn't exactly spend my twenties as a homie working at the Best Buy up around the way.  Once in a while, someone on a Mugen forum knows what the hell they're talking about. 

Ludicrous?  You bet your life it isn't.
#290  April 05, 2011, 04:14:02 am
    • USA
Pessimistic?  I'd call it realistic, tempered by almost a decade of experience in all manner of degenerative hellholes around the world where humans are ended because their beliefs or lifestyles don't jibe with the local strongman's.
Oh I see, you base your views on the extremes of humanity, some of the very worst examples of it. That is totally realistic and not at all retarded.
#291  April 05, 2011, 04:24:00 am
Pessimistic?  I'd call it realistic, tempered by almost a decade of experience in all manner of degenerative hellholes around the world where humans are ended because their beliefs or lifestyles don't jibe with the local strongman's.
Oh I see, you base your views on the extremes of humanity, some of the very worst examples of it. That is totally realistic and not at all retarded.

It doesn't take much for those things to happen in more civilized parts of the world.  Your comfortable existence is more precarious than you imagine.
#292  April 05, 2011, 04:37:22 am
arthropic principle ?
I'd say beyond that
I'm not sure what you are exactly asking

Homunculus fallacy fails for trying to explain everything to infinite detail and stepping over the parts it doesnt know by attempting to give a bad explanation for it. If they had just said "we dont really know how the brain interprets the information" instead of the cartesian theater there wouldnt be the need for the fallacy.
I know that, and I get your point which is part of my point, which is in short, how far can one go explaining the mechanisms of mechanisms before they hit a dead end
"I’m never gonna grab anything by its balls, especially life. especially if life shows up in the incarnation where it would have testicles. if life showed up and had balls, the last thing I would do is grab those balls" - kyle kinane
#293  April 05, 2011, 05:52:49 am
  • Causcasian fellows can, in fact, leap! GO BROOKLYN
    • ourc.trinitymugen.net

It doesn't take much for those things to happen in more civilized parts of the world.  Your comfortable existence is more precarious than you imagine.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Select Filmography: Do The White Thing, Brooklyn, The Assassination of Malcolm Little, Love & Racketball, He Has Extraordinary Skill, Flimflamed, Tales from the Neighborhood
#294  April 06, 2011, 12:36:09 pm
  • bd poster :D
    • Italy
    • http://emanuelepepi.tk
religion is good, there will be a time in which all stupid meat-eaters will be blown by the majesty of vegetarianism. count your final days, fuckers.
Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 12:53:45 pm by moolambo
#295  April 06, 2011, 04:15:57 pm
    • UK
    • www.nnaajjmugen.tumblr.com/
Kinda strange but I woke up today and her hand was on my ass cheek
I won't suspect anything though I'll take it she was sleeping and didn't notice
you should have flipped over slowly
#296  April 06, 2011, 04:23:03 pm
    • USA
#297  April 06, 2011, 04:36:51 pm
    • UK
    • www.nnaajjmugen.tumblr.com/
That would only been ignorance if the theory had actually been properly proven.
It has been.

It's like religion, not believing in it is not ignorance just choice.
No, no it isn't. Science is not like religion. Religion is about uncertainty (and thus you must have faith), science is about certainty.
Everyone I know has never seen anything evolve in front of there own eyes. Just because a scientist said that somethings real dosent mean it is. Just because a christian said god is real dosen't mean he is.

Science is exactly the same. You can say somethings real like a theory (gravity, evolution...) but no day to day person has ever seen it in front of there own eyes.

Also there are so many uncertain things you can not prove or disaprove. Like people who bleed through there eyes.
Science also involves faith.
Kinda strange but I woke up today and her hand was on my ass cheek
I won't suspect anything though I'll take it she was sleeping and didn't notice
you should have flipped over slowly
#298  April 06, 2011, 04:37:51 pm
holy shit you're a tool
#299  April 06, 2011, 06:08:00 pm
  • I got a PM.
I know right? And you can see evolution... Ever heard of the Flu?
Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 06:20:01 pm by Shamrock
#300  April 06, 2011, 11:13:13 pm
  • from a bayou somewhere in Louisiana...
    • USA
forget about "seeing" evolution; describe a microbe in detail(you know about it being too small to see with our puny eyes.) and then show the same person that microbe, moving and living under a microscope, and POOF you have science.

now you talk about religion, (we have ceremonies and practices that are designed, at heart, to bring one closer to a relationship with God.) a person starts out realizing that this life and its focus and goals are wretched, and lack true fulfillment. THIS person is introduced to "holy" scripture, and (if they are sincere and diligent) they begin the long road to a personal relationship with God. whereas BEFORE they were unsatisfied, now they are content and their actions reflect this.

in life we have evil people; religious, non-religious; believers, non-believers what have you, but evil people do EVIL things. don't blame God for evil people. "he" wants them to turn from their evil, and stop abusing their brothers and sisters. THIS is at the heart of ALL "holy" scripture.

and just because a cartoon claims that christianity stunted the progress of science, doesn't make it necessarily so. (sir issac newton) Interchangeable parts are necessary for industry, and weren't possible until the 1800's. you won't colonize outer space with uniquely crafted craft. (research the blackbird SR-71) yeah the dark ages were FOUL, and the spanish inquisition was $#!+,. AAANNND hitler did some horrible things, but these were evil people, period. PEACE.