YesNoOk

New Samurai Spirits announced (Read 3972 times)

Started by Roman55, September 10, 2018, 12:58:40 pm
Share this topic:
New Samurai Spirits announced
#1  September 10, 2018, 12:58:40 pm
  • snowy smart aleck
  • so sonic wave
    • Puerto Rico

Unreal Engine powered, coming 2019.
Re: New Samurai Spirits announced
#2  September 10, 2018, 01:25:01 pm
  • The Mad Editor
    • Philippines
Oh, man. Loving this~! Another arcade fighting game icon returns!
#3  September 10, 2018, 01:30:03 pm
Wow, that's some work on the backgrounds and the filters.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#4  September 10, 2018, 02:30:57 pm
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
I really hope to god that this game gets a Western release... after the mess that Sen was, it would be great to see Samurai Shodown make it's triumphant return.

It's great to see classic characters as well. I saw at least 5 (Haohmaru, Jubei, Nakoruru, Earthquake and Galford) and if this is a reboot of the series, then most of the classic cast should return.
#5  September 10, 2018, 02:53:07 pm
    • Brazil
#6  September 10, 2018, 03:10:42 pm
Full image of the illustration that appears on the side screens of the Sony pre-show while the trailer of the new Samurai Shodown was shown:
11 characters ? That sounds rather short unless it's really a reboot of the first game. I just want Kazuki but that's not looking too good for him.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#7  September 10, 2018, 04:23:50 pm
  • The king has returned!
    • Italy
I can't believe SNK is making another Samurai Shodown! It's been 10 long years since "6"!
I'm so happy!
#8  September 10, 2018, 04:32:11 pm
  • Give me Tea, or Cake!
YEEEEEESSSSS!!!

Finally, my favourite series might be able to regain some respect after Sen. Does look like a reboot of the first game, but I'm eager to see more... so glad of Galford's looks, but oddly... I'm really looking forward to seeing Charlotte or Gen-An. :)
#9  September 10, 2018, 04:49:22 pm
hope there's gore in this one.

it looks good i was expecting janky animations and weird faces like kof 14.
#10  September 10, 2018, 06:07:52 pm
  • üks muretu olend
    • Finland
It looks a lot like Street Fighter 4 graphically.
conscious dreamers can be treasurer to their own currency
im a conscious dreamer
therefore i can be treasurer to my own currency

i can be the mind controller
#11  September 10, 2018, 06:09:56 pm
  • Rawr
    • USA
^ There’s a part in the trailer where Nakoruru stabs someone and gets covered in blood spatter, so there’s definitely some level of gore happening here.

Getting some Street Fighter IV vibes from the art style.
#12  September 10, 2018, 07:18:13 pm
Well most big cuts have a giant blood spatter (almost as big as the characters) coming with it so yeah, there's blood, but do people get actually cut in half and such ? That'll be the question.
#13  September 10, 2018, 08:49:50 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • magmadragoonmk2.webs.com
I don't think thay want to get a PG-18 rating.
#14  September 10, 2018, 09:49:07 pm
  • Give me Tea, or Cake!
I think the sumi-e/Street Fighter 4 style really suits Samurai Spirits, I'm really hoping that the soundtrack is similar to the originals too, I loved SS4's OST.

EDIT: (Just realised, the picture that states the characters is wrong... it's not Genjuro in the bottom left corner, but Wan-Fu. Genjuro has his giant ponytail, whereas Wan-Fu was almost bald.  So, the base cast is the entire SS1 line up at least!)
Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 09:58:52 pm by GalFord
#15  September 10, 2018, 10:03:29 pm
This one does have a ponytail.
#16  September 11, 2018, 04:52:01 am
    • USA
    • morbidjoe666@yahoo.com
    • Skype - Kik : morbidjoe
Getting this when it comes out
I need more PSN friends
#17  September 11, 2018, 05:05:52 am
    • Philippines
    • moogen.piiym.net
Street Fighter IV invented the calligraphy art style apparently.
#18  September 11, 2018, 07:35:26 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Daigo Ikeno (SF4 artist) is the art director for the game sooooooooooo...
#19  September 11, 2018, 02:12:53 pm

It takes place in 1787, a year after the events of SS5 and before the events of SS1. It is also blatantly referenced at the beginning of the trailer.

Also, despite not most likely playable (unless DLC), Gaoh (SS5 Boss) makes a cameo at the beginning.
I'm often busy with other things, so I rarely post.
New av = When SNK dropped Playmore...
#20  September 11, 2018, 10:18:45 pm
EDIT: (Just realised, the picture that states the characters is wrong... it's not Genjuro in the bottom left corner, but Wan-Fu. Genjuro has his giant ponytail, whereas Wan-Fu was almost bald.  So, the base cast is the entire SS1 line up at least!)
This one does have a ponytail.
Eventhubs has a much better screenshot
https://www.eventhubs.com/imagegallery/2018/sep/10/samurai-spirits-trailer-characters/1/
Obviously Genjuro (also obviously Tam Tam on the top left despite Eventhubs thinking it might be Wan Fu).
#21  September 11, 2018, 11:10:31 pm
  • Give me Tea, or Cake!
Ah so it is, thanks for showing me the better image Byakko. It's a lot clearer!  I do hope they add more of the cast, it would be good to see Kazuki or Sougetsu again. Does seem a little odd that Gen-An wasn't in that first line up, but hey...
#22  September 11, 2018, 11:53:57 pm
  • Host of the Wammy Radio Podcast
  • Wammy Giveaway
    • USA
    • wammygiveaway.tumblr.com
Genan has not played a major role in the series since appearing in the first game.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:58:11 pm by no1wammy
#23  September 12, 2018, 12:57:53 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
iirc genan is mai's great grandfather, give a few generations.
#24  September 12, 2018, 06:49:52 am
  • You came to defeat me!? Hmph. In your dreams, bud!
  • RoK Member & MUGEN Lover & Editor
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
Oh man, i'm so happy! SamSho will back!! :D :D

Well, as it seems, will be the second prequel of the series since will be the direct sequel of SamSho V / Samurai Spirits Zero.
I hope this could be great, SamSho deserves a glorious comeback.
#25  September 12, 2018, 04:07:57 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
What do we know from the trailer:

* The game will be set in 1787, one year after SS5 and one year before the original game.
* Haohmaru, Jubei, Nakoruru, Earthquake and Galford are confirmed.
* That picture on the trailer shows almost the entire cast from the original game plus Genjuro, with the only missing characters being Gen-An, Wan-Fu and Amakusa.
* We'll have blood. Tons of blood.
* Those grayscale on red background cut-ins will probably be fatalities/finalizations.

My predictions:

* We'll be getting the entire cast from the original game.
* Either we'll be getting a new boss, or it'll be Amakusa again.
* Since Genjuro will definitely be in as well we'll probably be getting some of the newcomers from II, III and IV as well (they're pretty much fan favorites so there's no reason to not include them).
* I doubt we'll be getting any of the newcomers from Samurai Shodown V, though since the story seems to involve him directly Yoshitora may be coming back, but that's it.
* Also doubt any of the Tenkaichi newcomer's we'll be coming back, since this game wasn't canon.
* Maybe we could get some of the characters from the 64 games, though I highly doubt it.
#26  September 12, 2018, 05:14:30 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I am placing bets on whether or not iroha will make it.
#27  September 12, 2018, 05:53:21 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
    • Zeratul455@hotmail.com
Cant wait to see how Sieger looks in 3d
#28  September 12, 2018, 06:25:08 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
That's a HUGE speculation there.
#29  September 12, 2018, 09:14:22 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Like, speculating diago was the director, the director is still oda and it seems like it's being made by the same team as kof14 and heroines, his tweet is hard to read.
#30  September 13, 2018, 01:17:13 am
    • Brazil
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
* We'll be getting the entire cast from the original game.
* Either we'll be getting a new boss, or it'll be Amakusa again.
* Since Genjuro will definitely be in as well we'll probably be getting some of the newcomers from II, III and IV as well (they're pretty much fan favorites so there's no reason to not include them).
* I doubt we'll be getting any of the newcomers from Samurai Shodown V, though since the story seems to involve him directly Yoshitora may be coming back, but that's it.
* Also doubt any of the Tenkaichi newcomer's we'll be coming back, since this game wasn't canon.
* Maybe we could get some of the characters from the 64 games, though I highly doubt it.

* Surely they'll be in. But specially i want to see Amakusa!
* These are my predictions about the characters (except Genjuro since he's already confirmed) > Amakusa, Genan, Wan-Fu, Sieger, Cham Cham, Gaira Caffeine, Rimururu, Basara, Kazuki, Sogetsu, Yoshitora and MAYBE Iroha instead she's from SamSho VI which is non-canon but Iroha is a fan favorite. I hope that Shiki will be in too, she's such a badass and a fan favorite aswell.

Don't think that Nicotine Caffeine and Rasetsumaru will be in. Yunfei, Yumeji and Mina are canonically dead so they won't be in for sure. And just forget Kusaregedo. :P
#31  September 13, 2018, 01:29:26 am
Shiki is a fan favorite but it always feels weird and disconnected when they just dump her in a game without going over the whole Asura storyline (i.e. almost all the games she ever showed up in), so I dunno, I feel she deserves to be kept off for a fleshed out sequel where she's actually part of the story.
Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 01:32:40 am by Byakko
#32  September 13, 2018, 10:18:25 am

Although Sen is universally reviled. I think one character might possibly make it. It may be Kim Hae Ryeong. Thanks to Kim Kaphwan (and to some extent, Kim Sue-il), he'll easily translate into 2D-style gameplay.

BTW, Yumeji is still alive (as a monk or something), based from Rasetsumaru's Ending.

Since the leaker got some things right, I think we'll get Shiki along the way (whether part of the initial roster or DLC, it remains to be seen).
I'm often busy with other things, so I rarely post.
New av = When SNK dropped Playmore...
#33  September 13, 2018, 11:45:40 am
hope they update charlotte's ugly ass armor and movesets .
#34  September 13, 2018, 11:48:19 am
  • Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.
  • 2D Fighting games forever!
    • Brazil
What about some guest characters from The Last Blade!? :thinking:
Lasagna
#35  September 13, 2018, 11:52:40 am
that's actually a great idea. but that's a full hundred years.  but seeing nakoruru is in kof14 why not.
#36  September 13, 2018, 09:23:29 pm
  • I bite the faces of people who don't wanna be cool
* We're likely getting the original cast save for Amakusa who has not been resurrected yet and Gen-An who is kinda a maybe because of his lack of popularity in japan.

* Genjuro, as usual, is the only character from 2 that's getting in the base game. Though Cham Cham is a very likely DLC candidate.

* Rimururu, Sogetsu, and Kazuki are safe bets as they're series staples. Shizumaru is a possiblity. It would be great now that the technology they have isn't as limited as it was back when they had to cut Shizumaru from 64 because his Umbrella was tricky for them to render.

* It is with a heavy heart I must say that my man Basara is not getting in. There doesn't seem to be a plot reason to include him and he's not exactly a very popular character in the series. My hopes are not even remotely up for him...

* I strongly doubt we're going to see anyone from 5, save maybe Rera as an alt costume or DLC. They're all either busy with more peaceful professions, dead, imprisoned, or in Rasetsumaru's case: is a severed head.

* Nobody introduced in 6 is likely to make it because the game is not canon.

* Nobody from 64 is making it in because Shiki is the only one anybody remembers and she would likely be too young to fight in this game's timeline. Nobody from Sen is going to be in either because Suzu is the only character the fans didn't hate and if she was in this game, she would be like, 4 years old or something. Those two could be DLC though, where it doesn't have to make sense. Just ask Rock.

So my prediction for the line-up is Haohmaru, Genjuro, Ukyo, Charlotte, Tam Tam, Wan Fu, Earthquake, Hanzo, Galford, Nakoruru, Rimururu, Jubei, Gen-An?, Gaira?, Kyoshiro, Kazuki, and Sogetsu. The rest of the cast is new characters.

Also, from gameplay observations I can see that Issens will be back meaning we're getting rage explosion and possibly concentration 1. Also, that stab move Nakoruru does hints to either the return of Zetsumei Ougis or the introduction of max supers. Characters get drenched in blood as the fight goes on so I don't doubt there's going to be death animations at the end of a fight regardless. The heavy hitstops on fierce slashes are back, now with instant replays (assuming that wasn't cool editing) which hints towards the return of classic Samurai Shodown gameplay.

it's because they are already content with what they have done, mugen is not a paying job so as long as the charcter works for a creator that's enough; one's persons crouching while running is another person's change it to pots style.
Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 09:29:04 pm by Alpaca-San
#37  September 14, 2018, 06:10:08 pm
  • üks muretu olend
    • Finland
I'm interested in seeing new characters too, they must have some.
im a conscious dreamer

#38  September 15, 2018, 08:39:09 pm
Canon or not canon, Iroha will most likely make it in considering how popular that character is. Pretty sure SNK can find a way to fit her into the timeline.
#39  September 15, 2018, 09:36:55 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
She not being canon makes it easier to fit her in, actually.
#40  September 15, 2018, 10:08:09 pm
Uh ? Iroha is not canon ? How is that ?
She's from... VI, right ? I never followed the Samsho timeline but Eventhubs says that's in 1799, with this game happening in 1787, that's... Well who cares she's a crane spirit right ? I don't remember her story particularly limiting the time frame in which she could possibly appear, it shouldn't be a problem to have her just be around already.
Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 10:11:35 pm by Byakko
#41  September 15, 2018, 10:17:47 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
#42  September 16, 2018, 02:13:51 am
it'll be a young hipster looking character i'm sure of that.
#43  September 16, 2018, 02:39:14 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
She's from... VI, right ? I never followed the Samsho timeline but Eventhubs says that's in 1799, with this game happening in 1787, that's... Well who cares she's a crane spirit right ? I don't remember her story particularly limiting the time frame in which she could possibly appear, it shouldn't be a problem to have her just be around already.

truth to be told a lto fo people are saying taht samsho tenka/iroha are not canon and I did not bother to check if it was true. As you said, she being a crane , the timeline does not matter.
#44  September 16, 2018, 08:57:23 am
    • Germany
I hope Ryuhaku Todoh has a cameo again.  ;D
#45  September 16, 2018, 10:12:30 am
6 is a dream match game with no actual bearing on the story, so as it stands she is currently non-canon along with Magaoh, Andrew, Ochamaru, and Suguroko. Granted this game can change that.

it's because they are already content with what they have done, mugen is not a paying job so as long as the charcter works for a creator that's enough; one's persons crouching while running is another person's change it to pots style.
#46  September 16, 2018, 02:09:02 pm
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
You all know what character is the best and most worthy choice of them all;

Jupp. That's cool alright.
#47  September 16, 2018, 04:03:14 pm
    • Germany
#48  September 16, 2018, 04:19:19 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
You all know what character is the best and most worthy choice of them all;

I just guess that is a Joke right? ö.ö

I don't see why not.

To recap, Tenkaichi only has a small excuse that Yoshitora and Andrew are hosting a festival to sign good relations between their countries. Iroha, Sugoroku and Ochamaru are basically staff of this festival, not having much story beyond that. Demon Gaoh on the other hand is just a space flea. As said before, the game is a dream match with the entire roster of the previous five games, influding the canonically dead characters.
#49  September 16, 2018, 04:54:58 pm
#50  September 16, 2018, 05:49:50 pm
    • Brazil
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
#51  September 16, 2018, 06:09:22 pm
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
Haha, of course it was a joke.

Still, there are some other SNK owned characters that I'd love to see crossing over to the Samurai Shodown universe. These are actual personal wants. I might just go through some from the actual series soon.

From the Last Blade franchise;

Kaede.

Zantetsu.

And

Hibiki.

From World Heroes;

Hanzo or Fuuma.

and/or

Janne.
#52  September 16, 2018, 06:42:00 pm
What's with the Kusaregedo hate? Did you all get rolled over by good 'Gedo players when SSVSP came out on PSN :3c? He's a much better character than Iroha anyways.

I will admit he has like, zero chances to be in this game sadly.

#53  September 16, 2018, 07:21:23 pm
  • üks muretu olend
    • Finland
It's unfortunate, but his chances are pretty much 0% since Earthquake is in. BAA
im a conscious dreamer

#54  September 16, 2018, 07:30:25 pm
    • Germany
Haha, of course it was a joke.
;D

Still, there are some other SNK owned characters that I'd love to see crossing over to the Samurai Shodown universe. These are actual personal wants. I might just go through some from the actual series soon.

From the Last Blade franchise;

Kaede.

Zantetsu.

And

Hibiki.

From World Heroes;

Hanzo or Fuuma.

and/or

Janne.

They are all good choices and if they put Last Blade Characters into the Game as non-canon DLC, then they probably add Kaede.

I would realy like to see Shikyoh/Mukuro and Akari, they have fighting styles that are not already featured in Samurai Showdown in some way.
#55  September 16, 2018, 07:52:34 pm
It's unfortunate, but his chances are pretty much 0% since Earthquake is in. BAA
They're completely different archetypes to be fair, but if this game is to have a grappler it's gonna be Gaira and any new characters long before 'Gedo.

#56  September 16, 2018, 08:30:02 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Gedo is just an uncool design, he has no cool poses or anything, even earthquake has some, Gedo is just ugly.
#57  September 16, 2018, 08:39:37 pm
Nothing is cooler (And more adorable) than the Shark Butt.

It's ok buddy I'll protect you from these unenlightened guilders just don't bite my fingers off as I pet you...

#58  September 16, 2018, 09:31:55 pm
  • üks muretu olend
    • Finland
Kusaregedo isn't meant to be cool, he's meant to be creepy and funny, and he succeeds at both.
im a conscious dreamer

#59  September 16, 2018, 09:57:04 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Isn't he cheap? Or just top tier?
SILVER said:
Saberblade, you're so full of yourself. Your quotes in your signature are like a self circle jerk. Its sad that you put so much emphasis on what the stupid members here say.
Tuxedo Biccy said:
You shut your mouth, Sarblade, we can have truth and facts interrupting our dystopia fanfics. :P
#60  September 16, 2018, 11:47:39 pm
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
Kusaregedo won't happen if even Gen-An can't get into the reboot(?).

#61  September 17, 2018, 02:42:16 am
    • USA
#62  September 17, 2018, 02:45:45 am
Kusaregedo is top tier in Samurai Shodown 5 and 5 special. He's bottom tier in Samurai Shodown Tenka.

#63  September 17, 2018, 04:44:00 am
    • USA
Kusaregedo is top tier in Samurai Shodown 5 and 5 special. He's bottom tier in Samurai Shodown Tenka.

Really? Is that because of the command throw shenanigans or is your favoritism for Kusaregedo showing up again?
#64  September 17, 2018, 05:31:04 am
It's not my tier list, I'm citing japanese tier lists. It's the Sharkbutt into 'Gedo slam,  his stupid good normals, he can control how you can even approach him with his vomit, and his range more than offsets his total lack of mobility with the fact that you are in danger absolutely everywhere.

In Tenka though, he's nerfed and just total juggle bait.

#65  September 18, 2018, 06:44:35 pm
will they add any sen characters in this game? i really like suzu's design and weapon.
#66  September 18, 2018, 08:39:37 pm
More than likely not, given that Sen killed the franchise and this game is trying to revive it. It is true that Suzu is the one thing fans remember about the game but she would be like, 4 years old in this timeline.

...Wait I mean what the heck is Samurai Shodown Sen. That game never happened.

#67  September 18, 2018, 09:06:30 pm
who cares about the timeline as long as fans are pleased.

sen was a good game , the problem why it didn't do so good in sales is it's an xbox exclusive game. if it was on ps we might've seen a different outcome.

i did like the gore in that game it was limited to 3 or 4 death scenes and no special ones for each character like the older ones but at least they have it.

i don't think sen killed the franchise imo it was 6
#68  September 19, 2018, 06:39:07 am
Had Samurai Shodown Sen actually existed, it would've flopped horribly not only because it was exclusive to a console that wasn't very popular in japan but also because the radical departure from its roots to be more like a flawed Namco fighter would cause a number of fans to feel like SNK landed a fierce slash in their backs.

Luckily, Samurai Shodown Sen never happened and it was 6 that the franchise died. Again. Though as a series swan song it wouldn't be a terrible one. Like, having all the characters with some new ones and the grooves gave fans a content packed game and the revamped combo mechanics interested some non fans.  A shame about the loss of blood and death animations due to modern japanese arcade game content policies but what'ya gonna do.

Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 06:42:25 am by Alpaca-San