YesNoOk

Good Idea by Noob programmer (Read 3998 times)

Started by bloodpantha, February 18, 2008, 03:07:36 pm
Share this topic:
Good Idea by Noob programmer
#1  February 18, 2008, 03:07:36 pm
When I first started thinking about making characters for mugen, I was a little bit confused about how to get my ideas down, and I didn't really think about searching the website at the time I started with my ideas, but I've come up with a layout for ideas for new characters. The funny thing is that my idea goes right along with [C]yanide's self taught codework. Here it is:

Character Name:
Here you just state the characters name, and give a details to keep yourself reminded of what the character's personality and looks should be like.

Outfit(s):
Here is where you'd plot out you ideas for outfits, whether it be one that's a bunch of different colors or just a bunch of different outfits.

Attack Style:
This would be how you'd want the A.I. for the character to be, whether it be aggressive, elusive, smart, whatever you feel the character should be like when fighting.

Moves: This is how my basic layout starts.
Moving:
Forward- Walk
Back- Walk
Up- Jump
Down- Crouch
Tap Forward then hold- Run
Tap Back twice- Dodge Back
Block-
Standing:
LP-
MP-
HP-
LK-
MK-
HK-
Crouching:
LP-
MP-
HP-
LK-
MK-
HK-
Jumping(Up):
LP-
MP-
HP-
LK-
MK-
HK-
Jumping(Forward/Back):
LP-
MP-
HP-
LK-
MK-
HK-
Grabs:
Once I get to this point, I start naming moves and showing the input commands for them.
Specials:
Supers:

Win Poses:
This is self explanatory.

Intro(s):
This is too.

Opponent Rivalries:
Now this would be the characters that you want your character to interact with and how you want them to interact.

This is a pretty simple system to use to make characters. I'll put an example below, with fake info that I don't intend to use, so if someone else decides to make a character off the example, they can have it, I'd just like to be accredited for the thought.

Sho-Joe:
Japanese soldier who practices mixed martial arts and has elemental attack power of lightning. Stance similar to Guile(SFA3), but hair is short and dark.

Outfit(s):
Camouflage white and red pants, black tank top.

Attack Style:
Defensive. Would be better to sit back and wait than to rush in and attack.

Moves:
Moving:
Forward- Walk
Back- Walk
Up- Jump
Down- Crouch
Tap Forward then hold- Run
Tap Back twice- Dodge Back
Block-
Standing:
LP- Jab
MP(standard)- Hook
MP(forward)- Gut Punch
HP(standard)- Straight
HP(close)- Hard Uppercut
LK- Shin Kick
MK- Side Kick
HK(standard)- Roundhouse
HK(back)- Flip Kick
Crouching:
LP-
MP-
HP-
LK-
MK-
HK-
Jumping(Up):
LP-
MP-
HP-
LK-
MK-
HK-
Jumping(Forward/Back):
LP-
MP-
HP-
LK-
MK-
HK-
Grabs:
Suplex(b+HP)- grab opponent and slam them on back
Specials:
Shock Bolt(d,df,f+any P)- throw elertrical boomerrang that stuns opponent, lowest level 1 hit, highest level 3 hits
Flash Slash(d,hold 2 sec,u+any K)- attack similar to Guile's Somersault Kick, but attack shocks opponent
Supers:
Super Flash Slash(db,hold 2 sec,df,db,uf+any K)- attack with multiple somersaults that electrocute enemy, 9 hits
Win Poses:

Intro(s):

Opponent Rivalries:
Guile - each character salutes the other

It's a simple set up to help keep your ideas organized. I didn't see any posts like this one up and I'm sorry if I repeated something that someone else has already said or done, but I thought that it would be a help to other noobies like me that have been having trouble keeping all of their thoughts organized for when they actually program. I'll admit though that this is a little bit different than the way I actually used the layout, but that's because I'm adding something to my characters that I want to release as an original idea, at least I hope it's original. Anyway, I hope that I was helpful, and if my guideline looks confusing in anyway and you have questions to ask me, don't hesitate please.
Be careful what you say boy, it might just get you killed.