YesNoOk

Best fighting manga? (Read 26513 times)

Started by Garuda, March 18, 2010, 12:11:40 am
Share this topic:
Best fighting manga?
#1  March 18, 2010, 12:11:40 am
  • There is a demente in everyone!
    • www.dementi.it
I would like to know your opinion on the subject.

But let's split this in 2 categories : real fights and non-real fights.

Re: Best fighting manga?
#2  March 18, 2010, 12:18:15 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
What is a fighting manga exactly for you ? Because they keep fighting in Naruto, Dragon Ball, One Piece, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, etc.

Unless you mean a manga where the characters' "job" is fighting, such as Shamo, Ippo or Noritaka ???
#3  March 18, 2010, 12:28:51 am
    • www.dementi.it
The second!

For me one of the best real fight manga is Hajime no Ippo, even if the last match is almost a prank...

For non-real there is tenjo tenje

#4  March 18, 2010, 08:49:22 am
  • what a shame
    • Iran
As I mentioned in another thread, Holyland.
#5  March 18, 2010, 09:02:07 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Jojo, Hokuto no Ken, Riki-oh, Dragon Quest Dai no Daiboken, Berserk, Kamen Rider Spirits, Street Fighter III RYU FINAL, Flame of Recca, Basilisk, Gunm: Last Order.
#6  March 18, 2010, 03:16:00 pm
    • www.dementi.it
I think that Dai, Berserk, Alita and Basilisk aren't pure fighting mangas, but it's not easy to make a distinction...

Quoting Cybaster, "a manga where the characters' "job" is fighting".

I would like to read Ryu Final, I heard it's pretty good.

I have been reading Holyland too : it's a nice reading, but I must say it's pretty "naif" ...

#7  March 18, 2010, 03:35:34 pm
  • all is love in fair and war
realistic fight
Shura no mon

non realistic
Oriental heroes (manhua)
#8  March 18, 2010, 06:03:53 pm
    • www.dementi.it
Shura no mon, I will check it.

And a lot of people recomend "Kenji" for real fights.

#9  March 18, 2010, 07:47:41 pm
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
I think that Dai, Berserk, Alita and Basilisk aren't pure fighting mangas, but it's not easy to make a distinction...
Maybe so.
Except for Gunm Last Order. The Z.O.T. tournament as been the main arc for a bit.
#10  March 18, 2010, 09:50:03 pm
    • www.dementi.it
Yes, you are right. But in general Last Order is quite disappointing...

#11  March 19, 2010, 01:24:05 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
How come, I find it to be pretty good; still most of the arcs center on fighting and combat, tho, I would have to add jojo to dio's list
#12  March 19, 2010, 06:19:11 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Last Order lacks the charm of the first manga (I blame the lack of Junkjard and Daisuke Ido) but the art is gorgeous. Z.O.T. was nice at the beginning but it's dragging way too much (Then again, I prefer this over the vampire flashback)

I would have to add jojo to dio's list
It was the very first manga I mentioned ;P

I've heard good things about Zetman but I haven't read it, I'd recommend Vinland Saga but it ain't a "fighting" manga.
#13  March 19, 2010, 06:24:52 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
 is not a fighting manga either, it's good , like the mpd psycho of superhero mangas.
#14  March 19, 2010, 01:36:59 pm
  • "Moyashi tsuku shite yaru..."
Check out Garouden and Baki for realistic and brutal fights with kinda grotesque-looking meatballs. :sugoi: Surely, it's one of those 'serious' fighting mangas as opposed to Hokuto no Ken or Dragon Ball.
#15  March 19, 2010, 02:46:30 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
I don't see why only the Last Order part of Gunnm is being mentioned - yes, it has a big fat tournament in it (I'm kinda dissapointed when he slips into that sort of cliche, bu then again, when he breaks off from those it's for some pretty awesome stuff, like the backstories of that aga M'Badi with that mad scientist guy), and ever since Kishiro tossed in Sechs into the plot and  a fitting body the fighting sequences got a lot more interesting, but there are some other good fights in the series.

Some points of interest outside Last Order battle-wise are the fights with Jashugan (although otherwise I didn't find the Motorball arc too interesting) and with that guy from one of the extra stories, Sonic Finger I think.
My favorite is still the on with Den, but maybe something involving a giant robot samurai centaur isn't quite up your alley (it's much beter than it sounds). Gally's mass-owning of mooks during her Tuned days also provides some pretty cool scenes, but that's more of a beat-em-all thing, maye you're going fo one-on-one stuff only...
#16  March 19, 2010, 11:23:39 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
sechs is a loli.
#17  March 20, 2010, 12:21:07 am
  • Recreation
What kind of real fighting?
Like Street Fighting, or boxing, or Sword fighting, or kendo?
#18  March 20, 2010, 10:27:14 am
    • www.dementi.it
.... I always tought that the motor ball part was the best one :p
but in general the first part of Alita was much more deep and well written than last order.
To me LA now is just a bunch of figths ( Some very weird) and before just a "ghost" of the first arc. It lacks the charisma!

@ Mu : any fights!

#19  March 20, 2010, 12:45:01 pm
  • Me Bouncy
    • USA
    • runningwildwolf@gmail.com
    • http://youtube.com/runningwildvidya
Ashita No Joe for boxing. I don't think I need to explain this one.

Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru for your martial arts fix. Main character joins a karate club at a university that specializes in sports, lots of shenanigans ensue between fighting off other martial arts clubs, rapists, and preparing for a national tournament. It's a fun read so far, although it can be pretty disturbing with it's twisted humor.

Check out Vinland Saga if you want barbaric viking warrior action. This manga is epic. Read it. Great art, excellent action sequences, and a nice story that is based around many historical figures and events. Whose job is better suited for fighting than vikings?
Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 02:38:06 pm by Wild Tengu
#20  March 20, 2010, 01:43:58 pm
    • Germany
I very much enjoyed Hunter X Hunter's fights. The manga is not that focused on fighting, but it manages to pull off the ridiculous exponential growth typical for manga protagonists in a very smooth and interesting way, far away from any char1.powerlevel > char2.powerlevel mechanism :)