YesNoOk

Death Battle (And sprite fight animations) (Read 18144638 times)

Started by Long John Killer, April 09, 2015, 03:59:16 am
Share this topic:
Re: Death Battle/One Minute Melee
#1461  May 29, 2017, 12:41:35 am
    • USA
    • Dumanios@yahoo.com
    • Skype - Dumanios
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

#1462  May 31, 2017, 07:27:53 pm
  • You Can't Handle The Truth!
    • www.youtube.com/user/DevilRaptorB
Android 18 Energizes into DEATH BATTLE!
#1463  June 01, 2017, 05:13:42 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Their pronunciation of Lazuli threw me off, after being accustomed to Lapis Lazuli the Gem for so long now.

That preview did not fill me with any sort of confidence in their rectifying DBZ stats when they're more impressed with knocking Vegeta into a stone wall than keeping up with him at all.  Still feel they're going to give this to Carol.
#1464  June 02, 2017, 04:17:19 am
  • how a neko rolls
    • www.nekoarcchaos666.webs.com
Its a preview. They'll give it a full run down when the time comes.

Considering how hard it is to actually have a decent match up involving this series I wouldn't gripe about it. I hate dbz vs debates but they still have more wins then losses in death battle.
#1465  June 02, 2017, 05:19:11 am
    • USA
There's been 5 death battles with Dragon Ball.  Three of them losses, two of them wins.  And one of those losses was a repeat match, so even if you do not count that it's tied.  On top of that, the stats on 4 out of 5 of them have been highly questionable after not even all that deep research.  You can only be so wrong or right with Hercule's feats, after all.

Also the bleeding effect of Dragon Ball losing stupidly into other things like OMM is somewhat aggravating, to be honest, so would be nice if we could dial back off that a bit, yeah?

But yes, I know these previews don't tell the full story needed to compare and contrast them.  Just their wording of this is starting to look very predictable.  However since my last post I've been made aware apparently Carol lost a straight 1vs1 fight to Captain America within the time since she's been rebooted into Captain Marvel rather than Ms. Marvel?  If that's accurate, there's no way they're going to twist Captain America being more impressive than #18.  Right?
#1466  June 04, 2017, 03:12:35 am
  • how a neko rolls
There's been 5 death battles with Dragon Ball.  Three of them losses, two of them wins.  And one of those losses was a repeat match, so even if you do not count that it's tied.  On top of that, the stats on 4 out of 5 of them have been highly questionable after not even all that deep research.  You can only be so wrong or right with Hercule's feats, after all.

Also the bleeding effect of Dragon Ball losing stupidly into other things like OMM is somewhat aggravating, to be honest, so would be nice if we could dial back off that a bit, yeah?

Actually there have been 6 death battles involving DBZ. You might be forgetting the double curbstomp that is Vegeta vs Shadow.
All in all death battle dbz record 3-3 (2-2 without rematches) in regards to OMM, Frieza, Broly, and Goku(even if he died) one there matches with cell being one of the only losses.

If you feel I came at you aggressively my apologies; And also correcting my error on the w/l ratio.
#1467  June 06, 2017, 09:11:53 pm
    • UK
goku vs superman  1 and 2
hercule vs dan
kirby vs buu (without superbuu)
vegeta vs shadow
and now this

The worst part is that they acknowledge the DBS issue in a DBcast and passed it off with such BS, "Oh well she's probably gonna lose anyway"... Wtf kind of excuse is that?
#1468  June 06, 2017, 09:36:27 pm
meh i don't care who wins or loses i just want a good animation if they can't have that what's the point.
#1469  June 07, 2017, 12:01:53 am
    • USA
The worst part is that they acknowledge the DBS issue in a DBcast and passed it off with such BS, "Oh well she's probably gonna lose anyway"... Wtf kind of excuse is that?
Can you link that?  Those things are around an hour long each and of those I did attempt to watch, they tend to get off topic so this could just be a throw-away line in any of them.

While I don't find them doing Dragon Ball much justice, I also find it hard they announced who's won their next match a week and a half ahead of its premiere.
#1470  June 07, 2017, 08:15:45 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Promo for Carol

#1471  June 07, 2017, 11:38:48 pm
    • USA
Hate to be a broken record, but all that building up Carol's powers, splicing in footage taking on the Hulk and 18 "Can punch people into stone walls"?  Come on, now.
#1472  June 08, 2017, 12:21:54 am
    • USA
What do you expect?  Carol Danvers has been around a hell of a lot longer than Android 18 and been in way more stuff.  You expect them to just ignore most of the reference material for one character just to give the other one an advantage?
#1473  June 08, 2017, 12:25:32 am
    • USA
No, I expect the initial previews to at least pretend to make it look even to the newcomer not familiar with the characters when intentionally not giving out all information, or alternatively do give the entire character breakdowns and stats in these.
#1474  June 08, 2017, 01:01:01 am
    • USA
That's just how it goes with Dragon Ball, honestly.  As popular as it is, when you get right down to it there really isn't all that much source material to work with.  Especially when you get down to the tertiary characters like 18.
#1475  June 09, 2017, 04:06:42 am
  • how a neko rolls
Once you get past Dragonball, the series starts becoming more based off powerscaling as it continues. The logic of every fight pretty much becomes the stronger you are, the less effective different superpowers have on you. This would be consistent if things like Goku getting struck down by a laser didnt happen.

Anyway besides 18 fight against Vegeta and alternate timeline Zfighters she doesnt have alot of feats especially compared to Captain Marvel.
#1476  June 09, 2017, 05:34:15 am
    • USA
Wasn't the laser's issue retconned in the Super manga?  Not that it wasn't stupid, but it's more believable that Goku had figured he has won and dropped his power back to normal levels before getting shot than just, well, some random old decoder ring laser shot through him in any of his transformations.

The problem I'm anticipating isn't the number of feats, but the magnitude of them.  But they don't like to scale by comparison of other Dragon Ball characters's own feats which are then surpassed, and they neglect the whole light speed limit broken way early on, so everyone's always moving at stupid speeds.  So just by visual information given by the show/manga where 18's been, they will likely write her down at a fraction of her actual speed.  And with much of the majority of Dragon Ball physical fights impacts are made against the other actual opponent, not much in terms of, say, lifting and throwing a continent, it's hard to gauge their prowess in that area too, outside waves of pressure causing indents in nearby rocks.  Hypothetically, if their energy-based powers increase by magnitudes of thousands and is tied to their physical power as well, they should be hitting at, well, thousands units of force above whatever the level was for blowing up the moon way back when.  But again with 18, she just doesn't have any screen time needed to blow up a planet or anything of the sort.  She's there to make a mockery of Super Saiyans, who we've until then been shown to be massively powerful.

I'd like to imagine still with these nerfs they'll find the Dectruco Disc's ability to cut through anything should be just the thing needed that Carol doesn't have any counter to.  But I'm also presuming they'll write it as any energy can be absorbed, thus she'll just eat it up.  Would be nice if I was mistaken and worrying about nothing though.
Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 05:39:50 am by Long John Killer
#1477  June 09, 2017, 04:24:31 pm
  • Sunglasses at night
    • USA
I don't wanna be a party pooper but I really don't see why you have any hope left in them or trying to mentally justify the metrics they use these days.

Take Goku vs Superman for example, Superman still would have won, yes okay, but that doesn't excuse the shit math they used for Goku.

They took his fight with Freiza power level and added the SSJ multipliers from there which is so many levels of wrong. It's kind of a lost cause at this point.

Besides, in a twist of fate it seems like all their good animators are either on OMM or even DBX. It's kind of sad really.
#1478  June 09, 2017, 11:24:18 pm
    • USA
I'm not on board with the specific type of Superman they want to use being victorious.  Not that there aren't other iterations that can win, it's just the most believably consistent Superman, I just don't see it.  Superman is not seriously infinite in all accords in canon, he's of infinite possibilities to write.  Also come on, the two should end up friends, even in a bloodlusted to the death situation.  It's pure-hearted Goku and freaking definition of good morals Superman.  Now, DBS Goku and any current pop culture variant of Superman on the other hand...

Why?  I dunno.  I guess I'm just a stubborn fan boy who's hoping for proper representation with the series after enough people calling them out on their errors.  Same why I got worked up over the ridiculousness with Ramona Flowers or Jak & Daxter or Final Fantasy VII as a whole.  Nobody really likes the thing they enjoy misconstrued, even as trivial as this.  So I'm just preemptively venting.

Hey, at least it isn't Samus vs Master Chief, or I'd legit be going insane over every detail.  Or currently anything Steven Universe.
Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 11:55:25 pm by Long John Killer
#1479  June 10, 2017, 02:41:22 pm
  • Sunglasses at night
    • USA
I guess you're right. I had the same kind of issue with their Jotaro vs Kenshiro OMM which I think was done well for the most part but when it came down to the finish it became a contest of brute strength (Which Jotaro won obviously) the problem with this is twofold.

First of all, in Hokuto no Ken itself, Raw strength is mocked at every turn in the plot. It means literally nothing each of the martial artists have inherent defense and some even immunity to it. It even bends against Kenshiro's favor when he started to run out of tricks to try on a major villain, losing the battle because of his lack of skill, not strength.

On the other hand, they didn't even begin to touch on Jotaro and Kenshiro's greatest abilities. Even ignoring the awful choices made in HNK2 that HNK fans like myself try to pretend don't exist, Kenshiro has both the ability to become totally intangible for an undefined ammount of time and can not only perfectly imitate any attack he sees, but with his final secret art, Musou Tensei, Kenshiro channels the spirits of his dead allies to stand alongside him and give him their own deep intimate and flawless knowledge of their martial arts down to the tiniest of minute detail. Even HNK1 and HNK2 itself seem to try to downplay it's epicness after it's debut because it would kind of make any new threats impossibe so he... just.. stops using it.

But a show like Death Battle that actually tried to see how far that rabbit hole goes could make out an interesting fight that would hopefully satisfy my desire for a better comparison of abilities.
Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 02:46:30 pm by Negi Springfield
#1480  June 10, 2017, 02:50:34 pm
    • UK
dont overthink OMMs, they're (for the most part) are written by the animators(in that case aquila)
Aside from common knowledge they dont tend to put much research in franchises when working on them since its just for fun

DBs on the otherhand, in an old DBcast ben admitted that these DBs can be debunked sometimes (example, toph vs gaara. I looked high and low for any instance of toph manipulating chakra in the show, turns out its mainly an avatar exclusive perk)

Seth the programmer is a good example of debunking Death battles imo