YesNoOk

"Like post" button (Read 7398 times)

Started by walt, March 18, 2011, 04:32:15 pm
Share this topic:
"Like post" button
#1  March 18, 2011, 04:32:15 pm
  • SNK is life
I would like to have this feature added to avoid empty posting, like in the following situations.

1. I find myself thinking "LOL" but I don't post it. Still want the poster to know his joke was appreciated.
2. I think to myself "haha owned" but that would be empty posting.
3. Avoid "+1"

I think the "Like this post" button could help avoid this kind of empty posting. It wouldn't even have to display WHO liked it, just a simple counter, with a small note like "Users that liked this post: # "

<-- Including this image somewhere in the process is mandatory :)

Thoughts?

Re: "Like post" button
#2  March 18, 2011, 04:35:55 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Only if it states a list of the people liking it, otherwise what would happen is that member A is a douchenozzle, insults member B, members C to D are cowards but want to insult people, they all give +1 to the first one while in anonimity. Result: a big bunch of metoos.

GOH

#3  March 18, 2011, 04:36:22 pm
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
I hate Facebook, but I the above posts.
#4  March 18, 2011, 04:42:13 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
#5  March 18, 2011, 04:42:44 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。

GOH

#6  March 18, 2011, 04:45:56 pm
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
*Checks urban dictionary like a typical newfag*

OH YOU SON OF A -----
#7  March 18, 2011, 04:49:59 pm
i like this idea but i'd like to see who liked the posts. i can definitely see this being useful in mugen threads too
#8  March 18, 2011, 05:00:33 pm
  • SNK is life
Actually I just threw that suggestion with no names to get it approved easier :P If Valodim would like to go the extra mile and generate a small list of the users (which shouldn't prove too hard for his tech prowess), it would be great :D

OZ

#9  March 18, 2011, 05:04:54 pm
  • ಠ_ಠ
My multitudinous hordes of fans will eclipse the sun.

Just as long as we don't add an accompanying :thumbsdown: button, I don't really see a problem.
ಠ_ಠ
#10  March 18, 2011, 05:06:48 pm
i've seen forums that have a "thanks" button and underneath the post there's a list of users that thanked for the post, maybe someone already coded something similar for smf
#11  March 18, 2011, 05:11:47 pm
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
#12  March 18, 2011, 05:12:37 pm
    • Germany

OZ

#13  March 18, 2011, 05:18:12 pm
  • ಠ_ಠ
nice char
ಠ_ಠ
#14  March 25, 2011, 08:52:35 am
  • Spoiler
  • let's bring order to chaos
    • Mexico
    • none
it's a nice idea indeed
            Zorf Giudecca
#15  March 25, 2011, 07:06:35 pm
yeah.
#16  March 25, 2011, 07:19:27 pm
  • SNK is life
*looks at Valodim*
#17  March 25, 2011, 07:31:24 pm
  • JoJo is boring
    • USA
Not needed
#18  March 25, 2011, 07:31:57 pm
  • SNK is life
To look at valodim? yeah, I bet he read this already and is ignoring us for a good reason.

GOH

#19  March 25, 2011, 07:38:18 pm
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
Ever since you guys said this forum update sucked, Val has been ignoring us like a wealthy man ignores the common man.

Fools.
#20  March 25, 2011, 07:39:19 pm
i know it demands time and effort but i didn't really like that this ended up in limbo like most other mod suggestions. i'd like to read a "i don't have time for this shit" "it'll be done later" or "not worth the effort" every once in a while

GOH

#21  March 25, 2011, 07:40:38 pm
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
RIP Youtube videos. :'(
#22  March 25, 2011, 07:47:07 pm
    • Thailand
Is he coding it already? If not, then what the fudge is going on in the following image?

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#23  March 25, 2011, 07:49:05 pm
#24  March 25, 2011, 07:52:59 pm
    • Thailand
#25  March 26, 2011, 12:19:18 am
    • Germany
i know it demands time and effort but i didn't really like that this ended up in limbo like most other mod suggestions. i'd like to read a "i don't have time for this shit" "it'll be done later" or "not worth the effort" every once in a while

I do try to at least comment on all suggestions. However every mod on this forum requires continuous effort and makes forum upgrades more difficult, which is why I am a bit picky about what I actually do and what I don't.

If I'm not convinced about a mod myself, waiting a while and seeing if it's brought up again usually works, once I say something  people think "ok it's on his list, no more we can do".

so uh, yeah, I'll probably do this in a while.
#26  January 29, 2014, 04:44:14 am
well
#27  January 29, 2014, 04:49:07 am
  • DCB | Vato
    • Bolivia
    • www.justnopoint.com/dshiznetz
I want to go on a spree of liking tempest posts gosh darnit
#28  January 29, 2014, 10:11:41 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I'll ask Val about this next time I see him on google. Comic Fury has this feature and it's pretty nice. Only the poster can see who has liked and disliked their posts. No one else can (besides staff)
#29  January 29, 2014, 02:05:07 pm
what's the point of nobody being able to see likes
#30  January 29, 2014, 03:15:45 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Prevent users from being publicly singled out by many people ganging up. Less chances of looking like there are cliques. Otherwise it's not much different than the old karma system we once had.

Though if everyone wants it to be exactly like Facebook's like system that's fine with me.
#31  January 29, 2014, 03:17:00 pm
Can we auto-dislike all the posts from one particular person
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#32  January 29, 2014, 03:21:26 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Yes, but that's a paid feature. Val is also going to get into microtransactions for the site soon. You can buy the auto dislike for $0.99 a user. Though my posts are already going to be auto disliked by default :(
#33  January 29, 2014, 04:57:06 pm
cliques were more of a thing back when this was suggested and it wasn't a concern, it shouldn't be a concern now when they're even less relevant. comparing this to the useless karma system is ridiculous. a like system highlights good posts. the reason walt suggested it in the first place is so he doesn't have to make Yes +1 posts. it's kind of pointless if nobody can see who liked what
#34  January 29, 2014, 04:59:34 pm
I'm guessing that was supposed to mean that other people will see "liked x times" and the poster himself will see "liked by : {list}".
I suppose that if everyone sees the full list for every post, there's a chance the screen will get cluttered fast.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#35  January 29, 2014, 05:00:26 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Understood. Facebook like button it is then (if Val still wants to do this)
#36  January 29, 2014, 05:04:07 pm
I'm guessing that was supposed to mean that other people will see "liked x times" and the poster himself will see "liked by : {list}".
I suppose that if everyone sees the full list for every post, there's a chance the screen will get cluttered fast.
yeah, i mean the names being public to everybody. the way the list is presented is an entirely different issue. i guess it should be like facebook where it lists 1-5 names, but if it gets beyond 6 likes then the list becomes a [Click Here] expandable thing.