YesNoOk

Rare releases sub-section (Read 6796 times)

Started by PotS, February 10, 2008, 12:11:05 pm
Rare releases sub-section
#1  February 10, 2008, 12:11:05 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
Shen Woo diz:
You guys have split the hell out of EVERYTHING on that site
Shen Woo diz:
What more would it take for you to split the releases into a "edits and minor edits" subforum?
Shen Woo diz:
Now all the trash is filtered, and we have a viable way of getting to the good shit
Shen Woo diz:
If I'm gonna take barbie, give her a new hat and release her as a brand new character, I sure as hell should only get 25 cents out of the 10 dollars I had to fork over to Hasbro/matel whatever

That's actually been on my mind for a while, but while it has its pros I guess the cons go against the whole spirit of the forum...

On one hand, at times it's hard to take our releases section seriously with the ammount of rare chars getting thrown in it, not to mention they make the actual release topics sink faster, so splitting them would solve those two issues at least.

On the other, it sort of "officially" discriminates people who do such character edits, which is a step in the direction of the old forum...

Thoughts on this?
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
Re: Rare releases sub-section
#2  February 10, 2008, 12:45:30 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
I'm for it. :o

It's not against the spirit as we're not against the edit things... putting them in a subsection is not discriminating if to discriminate means baselessly taking two equal things and putting one below the other for some arbitrary reason (hair, skin, font color).

Minor edits are obviously and actually inferior to new releases and there's no argument to be made that can say otherwise, is there? The attention-drawing edits will still dominate such a board and not be overlooked, but they won't dominate the entire all-in-one section anymore. Overall, the potential benefits I can see kinda crush the drawbacks.
"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
The Thousandfold Thought (2006)
#3  February 10, 2008, 01:05:16 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Im in favour as long as it isnt treated as a "junk release" section.
So, not placing there stuff like badly made characters that arent edited and avoiding placing there characters whose only resemblance to being edited out of another is that instead of being made out of a Kfm they were made out of a Axel for base.
Minor edit or Edit - yeah
"aha stolen chara non totally original!"-no.

That and avoiding mugen police type of persons going like "aha I analized your code and found out that you used parts of my character that I specifically didnt allow, please move this to the sub forum!".
#4  February 10, 2008, 05:30:34 pm
  • In after lock
    • mugenguild.com/~messatsu/index.html
I'm for it. :o

It's not against the spirit as we're not against the edit things... putting them in a subsection is not discriminating if to discriminate means baselessly taking two equal things and putting one below the other for some arbitrary reason (hair, skin, font color).

Minor edits are obviously and actually inferior to new releases and there's no argument to be made that can say otherwise, is there? The attention-drawing edits will still dominate such a board and not be overlooked, but they won't dominate the entire all-in-one section anymore. Overall, the potential benefits I can see kinda crush the drawbacks.
I was going to do this when I was admin (not during this current reign) last.  I would've called the section Sandbox.  You ought to be able to find my post(s) on it by searching Sandbox or Sand Box (though I don't know why I would've separated the two words).

Many people risk their lives everyday by having Mugen.
#5  February 10, 2008, 05:35:31 pm
    • Portugal
Saving those curious from searching again:
Messatsu said:
As admin, I thought about a sandbox forum where users could openly steal stuff from other authors, but not release it to the general public... since this is the first time most anyone has even heard of that from me, you can tell how that went.

Minor edit or Edit - yeah
"aha stolen chara non totally original!"-no.
Of course.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
#6  February 10, 2008, 05:55:46 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
#7  February 10, 2008, 07:09:29 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
Requiring name and description.

Name: Edits. Or Sandbox. But I'd rather make it Edits as it's more descriptive and Sandbox sounds less serious and more anything-goes. Other suggestions? "Edits or minor edits" is too long and redundant. Is Edits alone enough? Perhaps as far as the name goes, but then we also need a description.

Description: dunno
"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
#8  February 10, 2008, 07:13:55 pm
    • Portugal
"Edits" is fine by me, and can always be changed later if something better comes up.
As for description... "Modifications done to existing works"? Either way same deal as above.
#9  February 10, 2008, 07:15:44 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Descriptions: Added a hat to an existing Akuma? Made a God mode super sayan Kfm? Tweaked velocities and fireballs on a ken so that they now all look like snails and he looks like he took speed tablets? Put them here.

-Minor edits to existing characters.
#10  February 10, 2008, 07:35:04 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
thx

Edits: Modifications of existing M.U.G.E.N works.
--R. Scott Bakker
#11  February 10, 2008, 07:42:30 pm
    • Portugal
I'm not sure Rarey belongs there, since I did the original char and it's gone far past modification at this point, but I suppose not doing so would look like special treatment plus it's setting the example.
So why am I even posting... ;P *goes move stuff*
#12  February 10, 2008, 07:46:06 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
Yeah I couldn't really find anything else right away and wanted _something_ to put in there to start it off.
--R. Scott Bakker
#13  February 10, 2008, 08:18:11 pm
    • Portugal
Nice call with the palettes/add-ons, leaves releases cleaner and makes the new board more worth it.
Where does this leave those full games made of existing chars with little to no modification?
#14  February 10, 2008, 08:20:27 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Someone suggested a few original characters that had been based on opensource works ( a sonic and a batman out of guy and an older sonic) , rejected them, due to not being minor edits.
#15  February 10, 2008, 10:48:20 pm
    • Germany
needs filter icons
#16  February 10, 2008, 10:54:09 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
They don't show up for me in the admin section, I looked everywhere (I think). I blame my membergroup and don't feel like switching my groups. ^^'

Where does this leave those full games made of existing chars with little to no modification?

Hm. Those worth keeping should probably go into the new section. Using the filter, seems we don't have any of those at the moment. No surprise.

I went once through the entire releases section and moved everything that sounded edited into the new subsection. Gave me something to do. =)
--R. Scott Bakker
#17  March 07, 2008, 01:38:54 am
    • Portugal
#18  March 24, 2008, 03:26:09 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
Wanted to add the filters:

error said:
Unknown column 'b.ID_BOARD' in 'where clause'
File: /srv/www/mfg/forumx/Sources/ManageSmileys.php
Line: 1123

Note: It appears that your database may require an upgrade. Your forum's files are currently at version SMF 1.1.4, while your database is at version 1.1.3. The above error might possibly go away if you execute the latest version of upgrade.php.
--R. Scott Bakker
New #19  April 10, 2008, 10:24:08 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
Val has added the filter icons. Now we can spend a few days categorizing everything... *starts*

Edit: done already! excellent
--R. Scott Bakker
Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 11:24:39 pm by Sepp