YesNoOk

Freaking Laptop Bios Problem (Read 6277 times)

Started by Midori, September 08, 2007, 02:09:20 am
Share this topic:
Freaking Laptop Bios Problem
#1  September 08, 2007, 02:09:20 am
  • 幻影緑凜
  • Ascended Mugen's Last Phantasm aka Melty Gear
    • Skype - ciel.altia
    • youkaimoe.blog.fc2.com/
My laptop bios prompts me for a password and I never had to do this before. I have a Toshiba Satellite series running on Vista with Phoenix bios btw. I suddenly started having problems after getting online, then the password thing came up. I am now stuck and am in need of any type of assistance. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.
GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND
#2  September 08, 2007, 02:12:28 am
  • Notorious Procrastinator
  • Proudly banned from /r/mugen
    • USA
The 2nd result after a quick google search said:
Phoenix Backdoor BIOS Passwords

Reported Phoenix BIOS backdoor passwords include BIOS, CMOS, phoenix, and PHOENIX.

???

There's also pulling out the CMOS battery and let the motherboard's power drain.
Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 02:15:53 am by VinnyJ
Re: Freaking Laptop Bios Problem
#3  September 08, 2007, 02:21:08 am
  • 幻影緑凜
    • Skype - ciel.altia
Um...CMOS battery? Which one is that?
#4  September 08, 2007, 02:25:17 am
    • Peru
It's a regular  battery, put in the motherboard and is used (among other things) to make the real time clock work even if the computer is not turned on.

It's a round battery, like you have on some clocks.
#5  September 08, 2007, 03:53:55 am
  • 幻影緑凜
    • Skype - ciel.altia
It's a regular  battery, put in the motherboard and is used (among other things) to make the real time clock work even if the computer is not turned on.

It's a round battery, like you have on some clocks.

Meaning...its like small and round right? Okay. I remove that and wait for the motherboard to power down. What effects will this have on my system and what do I need in order to remove the battery?
#6  September 08, 2007, 05:13:46 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
This will probably take a bit of effort on your behalf.

CMOS/RTC battery for a laptop is usually just under the keyboard, remove all power from the system (battery as well) and see if you can figure out how to lift the keyboard up. Find the RTC battery and unplug it. Wait 5 minutes, plug the power back in and turn the laptop on, don't plug the RTC battery back in yet This should wipe the password. Turn off, unplug power and plug the RTC battery in again. Then use laptop as per normal after putting it back together.

Your difficulty is going to be getting under the keyboard and actually finding the battery though.

That or find out if one of your family members set the bloody thing.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#7  September 08, 2007, 05:16:05 am
    • Peru
If you modified settings in the bios they will be bacl to their factory-default values.
#8  September 08, 2007, 01:39:52 pm
  • In after lock
    • mugenguild.com/~messatsu/index.html
Look your model number up on the web and search for something like "lapXXYY disassembly photos" or use google's image search.

Many people risk their lives everyday by having Mugen.