YesNoOk

KOF-ver. Dong Hwan *Released* (Read 9539 times)

Started by Kolossoni, October 10, 2019, 09:41:17 am
Share this topic:
KOF-ver. Dong Hwan *Released*
New #1  October 10, 2019, 09:41:17 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 05:00:36 am by Kolossoni
Re: KOF-ver. Dong Hwan [WIP]
#2  October 10, 2019, 10:06:45 am
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Looks good, buddy.
Seems like it's consistent at the moment.

Yes, the difficulty would be to keep consistence between kof/Kaphwan based sprites and the baggy-ones from Garou.
Even if Kim Kaphwan have few new baggy sprites as well, and Dong striker can be used as well.

Also, the good thing is both brothers have some common sprites in normal attacks...

Keep it up with the great work!
#3  October 10, 2019, 10:10:34 am
  • Examu Advocate
    • USA
"Wall jumps (due to it being very un-KOF-like)"

Was wall jumping not a thing in KOF? I feel like I remember there being at least one character that could do it.
#4  October 10, 2019, 10:19:40 am
  • A.K.A. NED

Was wall jumping not a thing in KOF? I feel like I remember there being at least one character that could do it.

Yes, perhaps Mai Shiranui.

I have to admit I thought the same... Wall jump sounds ok with kof to me...
#5  October 10, 2019, 12:36:30 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
    • South Korea

Okay, so just to clear up things I'll elaborate why I made that specific decision for now and the whole Mai doing it in KOF is the main reason.
I think KOF and wall jumping is a very antithetical or at least a niche enough feature in and of itself.

Mai being able to jump on walls is her own special "trait" I guess? Whatever the term is. She's the only one that can use it since she requires speed and that her concept, being a kunoichi (female ninja) allows her to wall jump both kit and lore wise.

Problem with Dong-Hwan being able to wall jump as a Tae-Kwon-Do character in a KOF system, seems pretty off for me. It's okay if it is in Fatal Fury games, but with KOF having Kim, Chang, Choi, Jhun, May Lee and etc not being able to wall jump, giving Dong-Hwan the feature seemed a little weird.

But if the majority prefer the wall jump feature, I'll definately add it.

Looks good, buddy.
Seems like it's consistent at the moment.

Yes, the difficulty would be to keep consistence between kof/Kaphwan based sprites and the baggy-ones from Garou.
Even if Kim Kaphwan have few new baggy sprites as well, and Dong striker can be used as well.

Also, the good thing is both brothers have some common sprites in normal attacks...

Keep it up with the great work!

Now with the pants situation, it's super difficult for me to measure and calculate exactly which sprites need shrinking and which one doesn't.
For ex, many of Kim's sprites also have both skinny legs and fat legs. Regardless of moves, the thickness varies randomly. (And Dong Hwan's 2000 striker sprites don't add up as well... Some are skinny and some are not.)
So moves that require more "volume(?)" on the pants like Kuusa jin, I try to make it into "average" thickness.
So, yes it is very tiring lol.

At this point, if the sprites look too off (especially the stand kicks) I'll just manually make them thicker!
#6  October 10, 2019, 01:01:41 pm
    • France
    • duracelleurxmugen.blogspot.fr/
Good luck. You did great with Jae Hoon.
#7  October 13, 2019, 11:05:30 am
  • A.K.A. NED
Good good!
I think Kim's base don't need too much editing.
Most sprites can be used like that, just as you said Dong and Jae have not much wide legs in kof as strikers characters.

Good luck!
#8  October 13, 2019, 02:50:14 pm
i do get your point but isn't dong hwan's niche in garou is being able to wall jump? even the annoying ninja kid couldn't wall jump.
#9  November 14, 2019, 01:51:13 pm
Hello!

I am glad to see so much progress on this character. I wanted to say a few things about this and your next project Ushiwakahime.

I would suggest waiting on Ushiwakahime. The new Samurai Showdown is pumping out characters like crazy. If the game came out with your character, all of your moves and normal hits could be totally different. I would hate to see you put so much work into it to find out SNK has made the character 100% different.

----

Wall jump in KOF. It is a thing. - http://meh.brpxqzme.net/himff/trijump.html

King of Fighters series
Asamiya Athena (excepting the KOF MI series), Choi Beon-Gae, Kisaragi Eiji (except in KOF ’98 UM), Bao, Ramon (starting with KOF 2002), Malin (only in KOF 2003 so far), Duo Long (only in KOF 2003 so far).

-----

I have a feeling you plan to try and do Chae Lim at some point?  - https://snk.fandom.com/wiki/Chae_Lim - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKRvBTc-DFg

She would be the last in Kim's army lol! You are working so much on Taekwondo characters and thought this would be a no brainer. Just like Kim's sons, she is a lot like Kim. Also, this may be a character you can be a little creative with since shes from a different KOF game.

You are now the Taekwondo character master! :D
#10  November 14, 2019, 03:01:03 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
    • South Korea
Hello!

[...]

You are now the Taekwondo character master! :D

Hi there.
Thanks for the feedback and the suggestions.

I'll try to answer/respond to your points one by one:

(1) About my (now revealed) next character, Ushiwakahime
[A] I am most anticipated with SAMURAI SHODOWN 2019's upcoming DLC characters and future content they are planning ahead. But I have a gut feeling that Ushiwakahime won't be the most likely candidate for a while (if you get my drift). She's way too old of a character from the franchise and her story (and the game she appeared in as a whole) is considered semi-non-canon from SNK's POV. She's in a weird situation as a character right now.

Also, she's going to be a bonus character who would not be a full-fledged complete chars like Jae Hoon or Dong Hwan, but more of a rare character that hasn't yet been introduced to MUGEN since its inception. She'll have a few moves and supers, but ultimately, she's going to be very simple and straightforward. Also, she'll be a KOF rendition not a Samurai Spirits counterpart. Meaning, I'm going to make her stick to KOF systems and have custom skills that match KOF not SamSho.

(2) Wall jump for Dong Hwan?
[A] My initial decision to make Dong Hwan drop his wall jump skill was due to the fact that KOF only provides Wall jumps to light-weighted characters or heroes who are officially trained to wall jump (i.e. ninja, kunoichi, assassin etc).
The character list you've provided mostly fit the categories I've mentioned except for Athena and Ramon I believe.
Choi - Small, Light Weighted
Bao - Small, Light Weighted
Eiji - Ninja
Malin - Ninja
Mai - Kunoichi
Duo Lon - Assassin

Dong Hwan... is more of a heavy-weighted char than a Choi, if you get what I mean. His play style reflects this.
Since KOF is kind of less forgiving for character passives, I thought a heavy weight, anti-air taekwondo character having a wall jump was a little awkward in the world of KOF.
But, not all hope is lost. Since there are so many people who are stressing on his wall jump, I'll probably make a second .def that includes a wall jump AND a 3rd MAX super that will not be included in the standard .def!

(3) How about Chae Lim as the next character?
[A] Well, it's most certain that I want to pursue making MI characters next and somewhat complete the Tae Kwon Do practitioner team into MUGEN, I feel like I'm quite burnt out making new characters for a while after big projects like Dong Hwan...
See, the whole bonus character: Ushiwakahime thing, is kind of a small gift for those who endorsed my previous works before I take a long break from creating... Creating 2 new characters in 4 months by drawing and coding completely new sprite sheets and data does take a toll on you, you know...

Despite the suggestion, I'll have to say that I may not start another project after Ushiwakahime for quite some time, simply because it's very tiresome both physically and mentally. But the good news is that fellow veteran MUGEN Creator: "Chuchoryu" has a Chae Lim in WIP. Maybe you'd want to check his progress out. Maybe, just maybe... I'll get to convert his sprites to KOF ones in the future, who knows?
#11  November 14, 2019, 03:01:29 pm
    • Chile
    • http://www.mugenteammexico.com/forum
very goood
#12  November 20, 2019, 07:28:19 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
    • South Korea
The very first, never-before seen KOF-ver Dong Hwan is now public.

Remember, there may be some errors or even bad codes so please test him out thoroughly and never hesitate to point mistakes out!
#13  November 20, 2019, 09:05:00 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
Great! Time to test this first version!
Thanks for sharing!
#14  November 21, 2019, 09:55:55 am
Coding on this is really good. Do you code?

Your missing a kick - https://gyazo.com/84bcd46c61d28669b6370e3663092b7a - This can be his forward kick animation.

Rapid kick attack is a little unfinished. 5 frames is kinda low. Possibly needs 2 - 4 more. Leg also looks weird.

Hard kick seems very short. May need to be a bit longer.

It would be great if you got his walk forward and walk backward animations. This is the third character with almost the same walk.

That taunt has got to go... If you MUST use the taunt, use half of it so he kicks one time, and redo his face. Waving with his foot as a taunt is the most rememberable thing, however.
Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 10:04:24 am by Wackafoo
#15  November 21, 2019, 11:09:50 am
  • Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.
  • 2D Fighting games forever!
    • Brazil
Hey man thanks, its great to see a creator giving KoF style some love.
Lasagna
#16  November 21, 2019, 12:01:55 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
    • South Korea
Hi, Thanks for the feedback.
Now just to clarify:
Coding on this is really good. Do you code?

Yes, all the moves were coded by me.

Your missing a kick - https://gyazo.com/84bcd46c61d28669b6370e3663092b7a - This can be his forward kick animation.

Like Jae Hoon, this is a KOF rendition of Dong Hwan NOT just a sprite conversion for MOTW.
That said, I'm aware of that move but decided to not implement it cuz it felt too Garou-esque-ish.

Rapid kick attack is a little unfinished. 5 frames is kinda low. Possibly needs 2 - 4 more. Leg also looks weird.

I agree that the sprites are a little off cuz I (rather regretfully) just re-drew his MOTW sprite rather than editing them one by one cuz there were so many sprites to work on. If you also look at the code, I even used drawangle to make it look more KOF-like. Another sad truth.

Regarding his hit number, that was the same for MOTW. I just carried it right in.

Hard kick seems very short. May need to be a bit longer.
I agree. I'll probably give it a velset/veladd to give it a little push for both Dong Hwan and Jae Hoon's far kick.

It would be great if you got his walk forward and walk backward animations. This is the third character with almost the same walk.

Couldn't agree more.
More custom sprites = more satisfaction to anyone.

But the problem is, I'm just one person and doing all these sprites gives me headaches, joint pains, fatigue and etc. Although I would love to make custom walk sprites for both Jae Hoon AND Dong Hwan; time, energy and overall efficiency has to be sacrificed for better coding and other enhancements just for that very portion. Also, I'm making these chars for EVERYONE for no price tag, so there's nothing really in it for me financially, but just satisfaction.
So sadly, with the resources I have, this is the most I could do.

That taunt has got to go... If you MUST use the taunt, use half of it so he kicks one time, and redo his face. Waving with his foot as a taunt is the most rememberable thing, however.
The taunt sprites are straight from KOF'00 by SNK themselves.
I thought it was pretty funny looking and decided to add it as a taunt.
#17  November 26, 2019, 03:46:51 am

"Like Jae Hoon, this is a KOF rendition of Dong Hwan NOT just a sprite conversion for MOTW.
That said, I'm aware of that move but decided to not implement it cuz it felt too Garou-esque-ish."

Garou characters are Garou esque. That is what king of the fighters is. A ax kick should be fine. If you look at other guest characters, Hyate has Kizuna Encounter wall bounce, Nakoruru has samurai showdown attacks, and Gai has a completely new combo system.
#18  November 26, 2019, 04:32:22 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
    • South Korea

"Like Jae Hoon, this is a KOF rendition of Dong Hwan NOT just a sprite conversion for MOTW.
That said, I'm aware of that move but decided to not implement it cuz it felt too Garou-esque-ish."

Garou characters are Garou esque. That is what king of the fighters is. A ax kick should be fine. If you look at other guest characters, Hyate has Kizuna Encounter wall bounce, Nakoruru has samurai showdown attacks, and Gai has a completely new combo system.

All those chars are from KOF XI, a game I'm not totally fond of due to it being less prime SNK-era and more experimental.

My personal codes are leaned more towards KOF'96~99-ish and find XI (2005) somewhat elusive on my part, but nevertheless, I'm not closed minded about the idea.
Like wall jump, I'm still debating whether I should add it or not.

Like you said, Garou chars will always be Garou, Fatal Fury for others and etc. But KOF has its own system and style that Garou, Fatal Fury, SamSho, Last Blade and other games don't have. That said, I am considering adding an additional kick-based attack as a command attack.

Remember though, I'm still debating. Cuz if Dong Hwan gets one, then Jae Hoon should get one too.

Oh yeah, and an updated version of Dong Hwan is out, he has new sprites and altered animations from his previous ones. Please check him out as well!
#19  November 26, 2019, 12:07:54 pm
lore wise, Dong Hwan is the rebel, unconventional, was he a genius I think? he might have learned wall jump even just to spite his father,say just by watching Choi.
Jae Hoon is the traditional conservative, if daddy didn't teach wall jump he didn't learn it, 100%.
#20  November 28, 2019, 09:06:20 am
Don't forget that they made many of the KOF characters play more like their Real Bout versions in 98. KOF 96 Geese, in fact, is lost to history.

90% of KOF characters have a hold forward light kick or light punch attack.

I hope to help you out with some sprites soon! Just holidays are getting a bit crazy.