YesNoOk

Sweet Tooth BETA Released! Come and get your special treat! (Read 12031 times)

Started by Varia31, May 22, 2015, 12:18:15 pm
Share this topic:
Sweet Tooth BETA Released! Come and get your special treat!
#1  May 22, 2015, 12:18:15 pm
  • Aliit ori'shya tal'din.
    • USA
    • variathehunter@yahoo.com
    • youtube.com/user/Varia31
DISCLAIMER: Please take note of the fact that this character is intentionally made to be a little bit cheap, but not overly so. He’s intended for the pure fun and ease of use, and for messing around with other characters. So if you see attacks, movements, etc. that seem to be a bit too strong, they are intended to be that way (and yes, that includes standing attacks that hit low), and will remain as such unless something proves to be too broken, in which case I will gladly tone it down a notch based on your feedback. Thank you!

-----

Hello, boys and girls! Today I gladly present to you the second character project I’ve created for Mugen so far (which easily surpasses my first, in my opinion). This character is none other than the killer clown and mascot of the Twisted Metal series: Marcus “Needles” Kane (aka “Sweet Tooth”)!
Check out the video to see more. This is but a taste of all of his moves, and there will only be many more to come in the full release later on!

As you can see, I was trying to go for a crazy, over-the-top playstyle for him, while still staying true to his brutal personality. I wanted him to be fun to use, and great to troll other enemies with. So, he’s a bit of a “troll character” if you will. But I don’t want him to be too overpowered, so please let me know if there are any infinites or moves that seem too broken. As I detailed in the disclaimer (please read if you haven’t already), he’s intentionally made to be a bit cheap, but not overly so. I really want this to be my first, truly solid creation!
--
Special thanks to Borewood2013 for coding Sweet Tooth’s AI, and to BaganSmashBros for use of some of his fire effect sprites and sounds. Moveset details and credits can be found as text files within the character’s file folder.
--
[GOALS FOR FULL RELEASE]
-Four more Hypers.
-Loads more special moves, including an SMG, Napalm, exploding trick ice cream cones, and more.
-Extra aerial attacks, including at least two specials.
-At least one aerial guard-counter.
-One more grounded guard-counter.
-A dash attack kick.
-More intros and outros, including special versions against certain characters.

So go ahead, boys and girls. Click the image, and download a fun and joy filled clown into your game. You know you want to. ;)

CLICK ON IMAGE TO DOWNLOAD SWEET TOOTH

CLICK ON IMAGE TO DOWNLOAD SWEET TOOTH
Re: Sweet Tooth BETA Released! Come and get your special treat!
#2  May 22, 2015, 01:50:34 pm
  • Food and Woman!
Oh la la...me want some ice-cream now XD!!!
#3  May 22, 2015, 04:28:09 pm
  • Unrealistic Reality
  • ______________________
    • USA
He's pretty cool, I love the animation of him banging on the screen when you stand for too long in match lol.
-I think he has too many knockdown moves though. His medium attacks shouldn't be knockdowns imo.(I understand why now since he can combo a lot different ways)
-Whats the point of the backdash when the back walk speed is faster?
-When using shield dash passed opponent sweet tooth doesn't auto face opponent when canceling it into uppercut(Mp).
I don't see the point in canceling it into uppercut if you dash passed opponent but it is useful if you're far away or if you press Mp fast enough before you dash passed him after Chainsaw Flurry(Hk) you can connect the uppercut after the last hit.
-His machete throw move stuns opponent which give him a little bit of time to run up and attack but mugen doesn't read it as the start of the combo.
-His taunt can be used as an attack but opponent can recover before him if you're successful in landing the taunt leaving sweet tooth wide open for an attack.
-You can cancel Chainsaw Flurry(Hk) into uppercut by pressing all 4 (Lp,Lk,Mp,Mk) buttons. Which makes it pointless to use shield dash+uppercut after that move.
-I get a lot debug flood when using ground special moves.
Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 04:50:29 pm by Insigniawarfare
#4  May 22, 2015, 05:05:06 pm
cool and looks great. Looks very playable for a BETA. Nice 1
#5  May 22, 2015, 05:25:19 pm
    • USA
He's pretty cool, I love the animation of him banging on the screen when you stand for too long in match lol.
-I think he has too many knockdown moves though. His medium attacks shouldn't be knockdowns imo.(I understand why now since he can combo a lot different ways)
-When using shield dash passed opponent sweet tooth doesn't auto face opponent when canceling it into uppercut(Mp).
I don't see the point in canceling it into uppercut if you dash passed opponent but it is useful if you're far away or if you press Mp fast enough before you dash passed him after Chainsaw Flurry(Hk) you can connect the uppercut after the last hit.
-His machete throw move stuns opponent which give him a little bit of time to run up and attack but mugen doesn't read it as the start of the combo.
-His taunt can be used as an attack but opponent can recover before him if you're successful in landing the taunt leaving sweet tooth wide open for an attack.
-You can cancel Chainsaw Flurry(Hk) into uppercut by pressing all 4 (Lp,Lk,Mp,Mk) buttons. Which makes it pointless to use shield dash+uppercut after that move.

Yeah, I think I'll leave his knockdown moves the way they are, being he has so many combo options. The "disgraceful kick" for instance is taken straight from Tekken. It's a move that King uses, and is a knockdown. Plus, grounding and pounding people is just what Sweet Tooth likes to do to people, know what I mean?

As for the other things, thanks for bringing them to my attention. I'll try to rectify them in the full release. Any idea as to why Mugen isn't reading the machete throw as the start of a combo? I know it's a helper, so maybe I just need to alter the code in some way to fix that?
#6  May 22, 2015, 06:45:04 pm
  • Kubikiri Basara
  • WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!"
    • Brazil
    • Skype - viniciustda13
    • shinobiwars.blogspot.com/
you shone
 more my friend fodastico character , great old rotten twisted metal tooth
Spoiler: Kubikiri Basara (click to see content)
#7  May 22, 2015, 07:14:19 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
The stance stuff is really fun.
This is a very nice beta. Nice ot see something fresh such as this. :)

- His supers lack a noFG assertspecial. Because of this, foreground stage elements are shown throughout the supers.
- I fail to see how the Lv2 super can be used, as the opponent has all the time he wants to block and/or move.
#8  May 22, 2015, 07:46:03 pm
    • USA
- I fail to see how the Lv2 super can be used, as the opponent has all the time he wants to block and/or move.

Yeah, to be honest, it was mainly a test. I still think it's incomplete. Any ideas on how I could fix that?
#9  May 22, 2015, 08:28:58 pm
  • Unrealistic Reality
  • ______________________
    • USA
Found a glitch in his dashing grab. You can cancel the grab into shield dash which makes the opponent float in the air until you hit them.
#10  May 22, 2015, 09:21:57 pm
- Has a corner infinite with his Machete Throw.
- Crouching HP misses opponents up close since the hitbox begins so far away
- Timing on superjump is very lenient.

Love the idea of Needles Kane in mugen. Needs refinement in quite a few areas though, don't hesitate to ask about any concerns.
#11  May 22, 2015, 09:40:48 pm
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • to hell with this site, find me at mffa or w/e
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/

Yeah, to be honest, it was mainly a test. I still think it's incomplete. Any ideas on how I could fix that?

i'm sort of imagining the super consisting of him dashing towards the opponent and if it lands it dizzies them and then proceeds to call the vehicle out, that could work

this is cool stuff though, very impressive for a second character release
#12  May 22, 2015, 10:41:28 pm
    • USA
i'm sort of imagining the super consisting of him dashing towards the opponent and if it lands it dizzies them and then proceeds to call the vehicle out, that could work

this is cool stuff though, very impressive for a second character release
lol I actually got the same idea. Maybe dash forward and attempt to pin them to the wall or something, and if successful, gets the truck out. Either that, or shoot another Freeze Missile first. Glad we're on the same page here. ;)

- Has a corner infinite with his Machete Throw.
- Crouching HP misses opponents up close since the hitbox begins so far away
- Timing on superjump is very lenient.
Went back and fixed those real quick. Thanks for pointing them out! I probably won't release a patch, but you can expect these fixes in the full release later on. But that's what these betas are for: finding and fixing issues before the final product comes out!

Alright.
-1. I think I'll replace his "dash back" with a "run back", using the current "walk back" animation, and just making the walk back have a new animation and make it function more normally.
-2. I fixed this by adding a "facep2" into the Statedef. It now makes Needles turn around if you dash behind the enemy, but timing is rather tricky.
-3. I'm not sure what to do about the Machete Throw, since it's utilizing a Helper. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know.
-4. I guess I could just make the enemy get stunned for a moment before falling down, since even I noticed that enemies will recover, even with "fall.recover = 0". I just didn't mess with it since I figured I could get around to it for the full release.
-5. Really? I went and tried that myself, and it doesn't seem to happen.
-6. I'll fix what I can (already took care of at least one), but I'm not sure what all I can do without compromising the look or functionality of some of the moves.

Found a glitch in his dashing grab. You can cancel the grab into shield dash which makes the opponent float in the air until you hit them.
Fixed. Was actually really simple! Glad you brought it to my attention. Expect this to be fixed in the full release!

Thank you all for the feedback! Please bring anything else you find to my attention, and let me know what you think of him so far!
Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 12:06:09 am by Varia31
#13  May 23, 2015, 02:54:57 am
  • The Chaos has ended. You will be remembered!
    • Germany
Really nice. Really enjoy your dedication.  :thumbsup:
BTW love the "Sweet Tooth gets bored" animation!  ;D

Some suggestions & questions...

- will you give him his flaming skull?
 - since your going with a "6 button" style gameplay, what kind of "specials system" are you targeting?
P.e. B, F + z is his straight Machete Throw, B,F+x is another Machete Throw but in an straight up angle, B,F+y goes more in an arching angle?
or
B,F + z long range Machete Throw, B,F + x short range but powerful Shotgun burst, B,F + y p.e. a longer reaching SMG shoot?
Both methods would give Sweet Tooth IMO more versatility.
Do the same with all specials, p.e. "Scalp Flamethrower" depending on the strenght of the button the flames would reach longer but would deal less damage, or again "a" button would go straight up, "b" diagonal upwards and "c" forward...
 - his dashing grab will set p2 on fire like Playstation All-Stars "Human BBQ" throw?
 - Sweet Tooth vs Sweet Tooth... crouching z "Machete Poke" misses up close
 - "Freeze Missile!" projectile does not fit the overall design, looks more like a MvC sprite projectile
 - "Explosive Present" should be a special move, not a crouching normal
 - strange command for your "Taste the Tooth!" hyper - Back, Down, Down+Back, Back, x+y, either use double commands like D,B,D,B + x+y or use a half circle like B,DB,D,DF,F + x+y

Keep up the good work.
#14  May 23, 2015, 03:46:05 am
    • USA
Really nice. Really enjoy your dedication.  :thumbsup:
BTW love the "Sweet Tooth gets bored" animation!  ;D

Some suggestions & questions...

- will you give him his flaming skull?
 - since your going with a "6 button" style gameplay, what kind of "specials system" are you targeting?
P.e. B, F + z is his straight Machete Throw, B,F+x is another Machete Throw but in an straight up angle, B,F+y goes more in an arching angle?
or
B,F + z long range Machete Throw, B,F + x short range but powerful Shotgun burst, B,F + y p.e. a longer reaching SMG shoot?
Both methods would give Sweet Tooth IMO more versatility.
Do the same with all specials, p.e. "Scalp Flamethrower" depending on the strenght of the button the flames would reach longer but would deal less damage, or again "a" button would go straight up, "b" diagonal upwards and "c" forward...
 - his dashing grab will set p2 on fire like Playstation All-Stars "Human BBQ" throw?
 - Sweet Tooth vs Sweet Tooth... crouching z "Machete Poke" misses up close
 - "Freeze Missile!" projectile does not fit the overall design, looks more like a MvC sprite projectile
 - "Explosive Present" should be a special move, not a crouching normal
 - strange command for your "Taste the Tooth!" hyper - Back, Down, Down+Back, Back, x+y, either use double commands like D,B,D,B + x+y or use a half circle like B,DB,D,DF,F + x+y

Keep up the good work.

-1. Not sure, I've had some difficulties with that. That's why I at least implemented it for his super spark and those few attacks.
-2. Actually, the ideas that you have are very similar to what I'm going to be doing. lol
-3. The dashing grab isn't intended to use fire, especially since his guarding counter grab already does that.
-4. Already fixed it. ;) There's now a second hitbox that pushes the enemy into the blade if they're too close.
-5. It actually is a MvC sprite. lol It's Ryu's Hadouken. Any idea where I might be able to get a better looking blue energy blast somewhere? EDIT Nevermind, I just found something that should look a lot nicer!
-6. I think I'll leave Explosive Present as is. I know where you're coming from, but it's there to sort of emulate his Mine plant from PS All-Stars.
-7. I'll see about changing that.

Thanks for the feedback!
Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 04:20:52 am by Varia31
#15  May 23, 2015, 04:54:44 am
    • USA
    • goroh16@yahoo.com
Varia31 it's me LuisParsion with the Twisted Metal videos. It's sucks that I can't record mugen with my Laptop without lag, so I can't record footage of this Sweet Tooth. I hope the one I'll buy next month can. I like fighting cheap characters so I'll see if I can beat it with my two favorite characters. ;D
#16  May 23, 2015, 04:56:04 am
  • Lover of yardsales.
    • USA
Wow, the only thing missing for Sweet Tooth is a fatality, awesome work!

btw who's version of Kratos was that in the preview video?
#17  May 23, 2015, 12:42:14 pm
    • USA
Varia31 it's me LuisParsion with the Twisted Metal videos. It's sucks that I can't record mugen with my Laptop without lag, so I can't record footage of this Sweet Tooth. I hope the one I'll buy next month can. I like fighting cheap characters so I'll see if I can beat it with my two favorite characters. ;D
Love your Twisted Metal playthroughs, Luis! Hopeully you can get a computer that'll record stuff like this better for you. :)

Wow, the only thing missing for Sweet Tooth is a fatality, awesome work!

btw who's version of Kratos was that in the preview video?
Thank you! As for Kratos, it's "Kratos2", created by Legendofsebas.