YesNoOk

Needing feedback for the layout/structure of a review I wrote (Tekken 1) (Read 1114 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, June 09, 2014, 12:51:12 pm
Share this topic:
Needing feedback for the layout/structure of a review I wrote (Tekken 1)
#1  June 09, 2014, 12:51:12 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Thought about starting a project about reviews of old video games which are also retrospectives and well, any honest feedback about the article itself would be damn cool

http://game-review-hq.com/tekken-the-first-one-a-review-and-overview-for-the-playstation-version-which-was-ported-to-psn-many-years-later/

There are no ads there, its a 100% hobby where I want to write such articles /blogs of old games I played and liked a lot.

The site layout itself is simply empty, did not design a logo or a real navigation there yet, if you do me the favour and give me feedback, please only about the Tekken article itself and what you liked /disliked

Thanks in advance
Re: Needing feedback for the layout/structure of a review I wrote (Tekken 1)
#2  June 09, 2014, 01:33:45 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Kazuya Mishima's story's font changes.
One thing I'd suggest is put the music at the top. People could press play and read while the music's on the entire time.

The impression I got from the article is a more of a "mater of fact" feel than an opinion based article. I wouldnt go so far as to say it was like reading wikipedia, but there were a lot of facts. It wasnt bad.

I read the scores year by year. I read all of the 1995 reviews, then the current one. Not sure what made me read it that way. It's way easier to read them section by section.

I would say, try to expand on the score(s) section. Maybe try to add a section for "Compared to other games". You do have some of that in there, but it wouldnt hurt if there were more. I'd put it closer to the top too.

Another thing is you didnt really compare/review all of their background stories as a whole. Did you think they sucked, were they better than VF? SF? MK?

Also, try to put it into perspective. How long was SFII out for when this game came out. Was MK out? MK2? Did you first play the game in the arcade or on PSone?

I think in all it's a pretty good review of the game. I'd like to see more of you in the review though. Like how old you were when you first played it? Did you have a favorite character? Favorite combo? Hate any particular character(s)?

vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
Re: Needing feedback for the layout/structure of a review I wrote (Tekken 1)
#3  June 09, 2014, 01:52:25 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Damn that are a lot of good ideas and inputs you are giving there, thanks a lot for the feedback!

That with Kazuya's story font should be fixed now

Tried to structure the article similar in order to the score with the background of the game and some release details and its history at the start than talking bout the gameplay, graphic and after that the music but maybe its really a good idea to have videos with the music in the first 20 lines

Hmm the "compared to other games" idea is cool. will add that in the next hour...good that today is a free day here in Germany.

About the background stories its difficult I think since some of their stories were interesting and made one curious to get more informations about a character (Kazuya maybe) while others seemed a bit bland (Jack!)..might add 1-2 lines about that though.

Tried to basically not only review a game since there are a --fuck-ton of reviews of every good game out there already and retrospectives as well but also give a lot of details, from releasedates to the reception and what made a game different to others (the limb system in Tekken as example) my articles might always be similar to those in the wikipedia or other databases like mobygames while only the review /score part is displaying my opinion completely.

"I think in all it's a pretty good review of the game. I'd like to see more of you in the review though. Like how old you were when you first played it? Did you have a favorite character? Favorite combo? Hate any particular character(s)?"

Can't hurt to add a bit of that in the article though..can't remember who was my favourite character back when I was 15 but I can write a bit about my opinion from todays perspective (I am so glad how they changed King, Kuma and Jack with the time)