YesNoOk

Changing camera angle with Artmoney on PS1 game?  (Read 5026 times)

Started by Tamez, October 18, 2014, 10:55:25 am
Share this topic:
Changing camera angle with Artmoney on PS1 game?
#1  October 18, 2014, 10:55:25 am
  • I work at Elecbyte as a sexy janitor.
    • USA
    • tamez.smeenet.org
I'm currently working on finishing my Tekken 2 stage project, but I've hit a bit of a wall on Jun's stage. 
On most other T2 stages I've completed, it's been fairly simple to determine which texture has been used, and if that texture has been rotated. 
But the differences in Jun's textures are more subtle, and I've been trying to get a better look at them so I can accurately place them. 

I tried messing with Artmoney a tiny bit years ago thinking it'd be close to my old PS1 GameShark Pro in how I'd need to find values, but I didn't get the hang of it. 

So I'm looking for advice as to how I should go about beginning to look for the values I'd need to change to make the camera be facing down on the fighters. 
Just changing the angle to that of the continue screen would be perfect even. 

Failing that, Artmoney already has a code for
"Player 2 is Computer Controlled (256)" Address:  800D07F8
I tried changing that to 0, 1,  and other numbers trying to STOP the computer from acting so that I could try to view the stage better in the game's wire frame mode, but that hasn't worked either. 
Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 11:10:12 am by Tamez
Re: Changing camera angle with Artmoney on PS1 game?
#2  October 18, 2014, 01:13:12 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net

You'll need to find the values for the camera controls.

Play Versus mode, so you are always in control of the camera. Always use the same characters and the same stage to reduce the values to search.
Start the match and do a search for unknown values. Afterwards, separate the characters so that the camera angle and zoom change, and do a filtered search by "unknown value has changed". Now get the characters close to them, so that camera again changes its zoom/angle and perform a filtered search by "unknown value has changed".

Repeat this process like 20 or more times and with luck, you will find a value that either manages the zoom, pan or angle of the camera. Freeze it, and do a new search process this time by looking for another camera value you want to search.

Another tip, is that usually all similar controls are grouped together, so after finding an actual camera value, try to manually add addresses which are in the near range. Sometimes it works.

I'd suggest reading my artmoney tutorial on how I obtained hitbox information from a game using ArtMoney. My method is a good reference on how to work with ArtMoney when you search uncommon or hard to find values: http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net/daraku_clsn/daraku_clsn.html

XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#3  October 20, 2014, 06:57:14 am
  • I work at Elecbyte as a sexy janitor.
    • USA
    • tamez.smeenet.org
Cool, I'll give it a read and see what I can come up with later.  Thanks. 

In the mean time, I've sorta found a solution in Jun herself, as her LP+LK throw changes the camera angle in a way that'll help me see the floor well, and doesn't badly alter the direction that the characters are facing when they get up. 

I'm sure I'll need to get it down eventually though since I'll be working on other 3D PS1 stages later. 

By the way, I also wanted to say thanks for your font tutorial.  It helped me years ago when I first started messing with making fonts.   :thumbsup:
#4  October 21, 2014, 07:23:43 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
One tip I figured out a long time ago, for gameshark/cheat codes, is using save states.
This helps because your values go back to exactly what they were.

The move the characters in and out, you might produce their pos x and pos y values. So watch out for that.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv