YesNoOk

Donor project - MMX Zero (among other things) (Read 8309 times)

Started by Rolento, October 27, 2009, 11:37:29 pm
Share this topic:
Donor project - MMX Zero (among other things)
#1  October 27, 2009, 11:37:29 pm
  • Figuring things out, one sprite at a time.
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
While most people know me mostly for coding, I am actually an artist by trade. My work often contains custom or scratch pixel work, and I've contributed sprite work to various other creators' projects. I also do a lot of digital illustration and graphic design work, and my art practice extends to more physical mediums such as fine art drawing and sculpture. I'd like to think it's good to be versed in many different disciplines, but there's the catch of the costs of the art supplies and tools I use for my trade limiting what I can do on a restrictive budget. Basically, I'm here to ask for a bit of monetary assistance in getting some of these projects off the ground and running.

However, it just wouldn't seem right to ask for help without at giving something back in exchange. Since any funds donated are going towards materials needed for my physical art practice, I think it's only fair that I give back something for your money, being some original digital art. Since I like to think I have a knack for sprite work, I'd like to offer up a custom sprited character to the community, and Zero here came to mind. He'll have elements from his original game appearances and his upcoming T.v.C. showing. Zero here will also be open source, giving others the opportunity to take advantage of the available work to convert him into another game play style. Here's a sample of the sprite work being done for him:

Just to clarify things as much as possible, any donations made are going towards future art projects of mine. I am not asking people to pay for the creation of the character, and the character will be publicly available upon completion, not just to people who are willing to donate. I'd also like to state that if there's enough interest, I would be open to doing other projects like this in the future, and that includes original work. For anyone who would like to contribute, please visit http://irwt.smeenet.org/. (This site also has downloads for my other mugen works, including some stuff that no longer seemed to be online.)

If there are any questions or comments, please feel free to post them here or PM me.

[Edit] Website added for easier access, and post edited for some clarity.
Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 05:52:05 pm by Rolento
Re: Donor project - MMX Zero
#2  October 27, 2009, 11:42:05 pm
  • DCB | Vato
    • Bolivia
    • www.justnopoint.com/dshiznetz
looks fucking awesome dude! i suggest you hit up jesuszilla or bluecross to help you with the coding and such, they seem to  be huge zero fans.
#3  October 27, 2009, 11:42:22 pm
  • Aka ShadesTeam/Zeckle
Holding a mugen character hostage, thats so mean  >:(
But seriously, while I cant help you finacially, I can at least post saying good luck with it.  
Shades 2 site:Shades of Manhattan
#4  October 27, 2009, 11:43:52 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
looks fucking awesome dude! i suggest you hit up jesuszilla or bluecross to help you with the coding and such, they seem to  be huge zero fans.
I believe Rolento knows his code tho. He just seems strapped for cash, cant say I was never on his place. Good luck with it, man.
#5  October 28, 2009, 12:08:36 am
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Luis: I've actually been coding since the old ezBoard and DOS Mugen days.  I've got the coding part under control. :P
#6  October 28, 2009, 12:10:39 am
  • SNK is life
Rolento, I know this is a very promising project, as I saw you put together those sprites from scratch, you're a pretty damn good spriter, and that's even kind of hard for me to admit.

I hope you can get the necessary funding for your other projects.

DONATE OR DIE BITCHES
#7  October 28, 2009, 12:23:32 am
  • The Mugen Philosopher!
    • Canada
    • www.freewebs.com/realreaper3
the sprite quality looks amazing
Welcome to the House of Fighting.
#8  October 28, 2009, 02:07:09 am
  • I'm already Tracer
    • Canada
do you have a paypal account? i'd be happy to donate some money ;)
#9  October 28, 2009, 02:19:33 am
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Momo: You'll be receiving a PM in a second with that information
Randomish: You'll have it too in a second.
Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 02:24:57 am by Rolento
#10  October 28, 2009, 02:22:12 am
  • The Mugen Philosopher!
    • Canada
    • www.freewebs.com/realreaper3
Welcome to the House of Fighting.
#11  October 28, 2009, 02:24:20 am
  • I'm already Tracer
    • Canada
#12  October 28, 2009, 03:22:15 am
  • Riding on the wings of destiny.
cough*gameplayvid*cough
Stand up for what you believe in, and never give up!
#13  October 28, 2009, 04:42:05 am
  • I'm already Tracer
    • Canada
since this is an original character you probably won't see a vid until it's a little more complete...??
#14  October 28, 2009, 09:27:20 am
Looks cool but there are plenty of MMX Zero's out there and from the looks of it, it seems much the same as the other ones and will probably end up doing the same moves & everything else to  :P

Asking for money help?, well....  ::)

Not really in the spirit of mugen to begin with then now is it? It's your choice of course and morals are out the window clearly since day one with warehousers (like myself) & elitist alike no one really gives a damn or has any real respect.

Whatever you decide on doing I guess would be cool either way because again the majority of mugen goers all agree on one thing and that's having a lot of characters even if they're the same  :D

I'm pretty happy with the MvC Zero I have right now, it works for me and looks pretty good and plays well even if it isn't tricked out like your screen shots (no offense) which looks really good btw. I just see no point and that's my understanding, no one asked but if I were you I would do something not done yet so it can at the very least be "kept" for exceptional gaming sake. Not necessarily MMX even though there are plenty of good ideas there can also be wish list characters that haven't been done before that are really great, Warner has done some great sprite work on his page and it really is a shame that they're all just sprites rather than fully awesome characters that can be appreciated as works of art and be fun at the same time. 

I don't wanna be the guy who turned you away from this but I think it needs to be said for the sake of what could have been. If you disagree with me 100% then just ignore me and forget I ever posted here. I am no one to persuade you in anyway because these sprites look really great anyhow.

Anyway as always awesome work and good luck  ;)
#15  October 28, 2009, 09:29:04 am
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
Isn't the act of accepting payment to distribute a conversion a copyrighted character something that deviates a bit from the "fan art factor" that usually makes Mugen not a problem with the likes of Capcom?...

I'm just concerned about the can of worms something like this can open as a precedent...

Regardless, nice sprites.
#16  October 28, 2009, 09:40:42 am
Isn't the act of accepting payment to distribute a conversion a copyrighted character something that deviates a bit from the "fan art factor" that usually makes Mugen not a problem with the likes of Capcom?...

I'm just concerned about the can of worms something like this can open as a precedent...

Regardless, nice sprites.

Yeah, what he said  :P
#17  October 28, 2009, 03:26:50 pm
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
ArellonX: I am guessing you mean the one worked over from Alpha Extreme? It seems a bit stiff from the last time I tried it, but it's playable. I just have a strong belief that I could create a genuinely interesting version of the character myself, and that I could cover some things that were not addressed in the character you are talking. As for working on something a bit more original, I'm fully open to that idea in the future.

Loona: I think you may have misinterpreted something. To clarify, any donations are specifically meant to help fund later art projects, not the character itself. I am not asking for money to create Zero, as that is a dicey proposition and definitely does not fall under fan art. I just think that if you ask for some assistance like this, you should give something of value back in return. Some digital art in exchange for helping fund my more physical artwork just seems like a fair trade.
#18  October 28, 2009, 03:33:47 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
I'm just saying that explicitly mentioning donations and a WIP in the same topic sounds more suspicious than having something like a Paypal button on your site or something and presenting the character separately from that - had a different topic been created for each thing this would be much less likely to raise an eyebrow and consider a break from the usual "it's just fan art 'cause it's free" that helps keep controvesy with the game companies away.

Otherwise, what's keeping someone from saying "I'm doing this character X from series Y, but I could really use some money for food"?
#19  October 28, 2009, 03:39:26 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
The donations are not "payment" for the character, so it shouldnt be a problem at all. Character gets completed regardless . Its not as if he is demanding money for character x and y.

Its not even the first time someone has actually paid for character X and Y tho.

Anyway, Rolento, you should provide the mail for donations openly, there are people that would donate but wouldnt want to have to ask you directly for it OR register on the forum.
#20  October 28, 2009, 03:47:02 pm
    • irwt.iammanyninjas.com
Iced pretty much covered what I wanted to say there. Also, I'll do one better and try to re-establish a small dedicated website before today is over. I'll add it into this post and the original one as soon as it's up and running.

[Edit] Okay, the website is up now. Please visit http://irwt.smeenet.org/ for the donation link, as well as links for my earlier works.
Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 05:21:25 pm by Rolento