YesNoOk

Man tries to convert North Sentinel natives, is killed by a volley of arrows (Read 9825 times)

Started by Foobs, November 22, 2018, 07:49:09 pm
Share this topic:
Man tries to convert North Sentinel natives, is killed by a volley of arrows
#1  November 22, 2018, 07:49:09 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/22/john-allen-chau-man-killed-by-tribe-north-sentinel-island-declare-jesus

An American man who was killed by an isolated tribe on a remote Indian island wrote to his parents hours before his death that he wanted to “declare Jesus” to the tribespeople and that they should “not be angry at them or at God if I get killed”.

John Allen Chau, 26, is believed to have been hit with a volley of arrows shortly after making land on North Sentinel Island, part of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, last Friday.

The island, which is off-limits to visitors without permission, is home to a 30,000-year-old tribe that is known to aggressively resist outsiders.

[...]

“So I got a little closer as they (about six from what I could see) yelled at me, I tried to parrot their words back to them. They burst out laughing most of the time, so they probably were saying bad words or insulting me.

“I hollered: ‘My name is John, I love you and Jesus loves you.’ I regret I began to panic slightly as I saw them string arrows in their bows. I picked up the fish and threw it towards them. They kept coming.

“I paddled like I never have in my life back to the boat. I felt some fear but mainly was disappointed. They didn’t accept me right away.”

One of the tribespeople – “a kid probably about 10 or so years old, maybe a teenager” – fired an arrow that struck his Bible, he wrote that night, onboard the boat of fishermen he paid 25,000 rupees (£275) to smuggle him close to the island. “Well, I’ve been shot by the Sentinelese.”

Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 07:52:38 pm by Foobs
Re: Man tries to convert North Sentinel natives, is killed by a volley of arrows
#2  November 22, 2018, 09:04:10 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Damn, that was dumb as all hell. Shame it happened, but what was he going to expect, the small chance that they was going to listen to him?
Re: Man tries to convert North Sentinel natives, is killed by a volley of arrows
#3  November 22, 2018, 09:49:56 pm
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
Should have brought coconuts I guess.

No, but for real, what did the guy expect?
While it would be interesting to see how a tribe such as that has managed to stay afloat for those many years would be interesting of a study, but ... It's probobly because people have yet to contact them, which for that, stay away I guess.

Hope the missionairy found Jesus then, I guess.
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
The Street Fighter 2014-2021.
#4  November 23, 2018, 08:19:59 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
what did he expect? he probably would've ended up giving them diseases. theyve remained uncontacted for a reason, play stupid games win stupid prizes.
#5  November 23, 2018, 01:28:55 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com

He expected to convert them like normal (gullible if you hate religion) people would be.

At least he died a quick death unlike that other guy who protested in North Korea alone and suffered mental torture then committing suicide after his release if I recall correctly.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#6  November 23, 2018, 02:23:03 pm
wait this story is true? really i read that earlier this morning i found it too stupid to be true.
#7  November 23, 2018, 02:33:06 pm
    • Brazil
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100074220240917
human intelligence has limits ... stupidity, not
#8  November 23, 2018, 03:58:19 pm
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
Present one of the newest religions to a 30,000-year-old tribe... brilliant.

#9  November 23, 2018, 04:03:08 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
He expected to convert them like normal (gullible if you hate religion) people would be.

At least he died a quick death unlike that other guy who protested in North Korea alone and suffered mental torture then committing suicide after his release if I recall correctly.
lmfao, he expected to convert a 30,000 year old tribe, that has made it clear it wants no contact, to his religion like "normal people" alright
#10  November 23, 2018, 04:59:10 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
And we have a great contender for this year's Darwin Awards!
#11  November 24, 2018, 01:15:13 pm
  • all is love in fair and war
what happened next they cooked him in the pot too?
human is not an endangered species, why would indian government allow this violent tribe to do what they please? why do we suddenly accept this as normalcy, what if there is a tribe who openly practice canibalism, raping women, and enslaved captives from neighboring tribe, but they live in an island or deep in the forest would the rest of the world respect their will to be left alone to do what they have done for thousand of years?

what if this island is hit by tsunami, would indian government also let them succumb to their fate and not trying to help?
#12  November 24, 2018, 02:51:23 pm
because that tribe was there long before any government was built , think of it as a tiny sovereign state of their own . everyone who got near that place are attacked they are pretty violent folks ,

for me i would just leave them alone and study them from afar, and occasionally kidnap one or two for study , they are very interesting people their ancestry is a puzzle you wouldn't believe who are their closest relatives are.

i believe these were the descendants of the nomads that traveled from africa to asia , the andamans. ... funny enough their closest relatives are the ainu's of japan which looked more like a mix of asian and european. and another weird thing is that they don't share the same genes with the aetas a group of people who share similarities with andamans both having african-ish feature and both living in a similar climate and almost only the mainlands of south east asia separating them and because of their locations you would assume that they are related even at first glance you would group the andamans and aetas together but they don't .... in fact the aetas share more otheir dna with your average asian than africans or the natives of australia. which is weird. proving that you can't really tell someone's ancestry by just their appearance

plus they aren't really a threat , nor they don't have any good resources that we can get , they live only in a tiny island and their numbers are just a couple hundred probably around 250 or 300.  after a few category 5 storms and rising sea levels some of them probably died over the decade.
Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 03:02:10 pm by 地獄の花
#13  November 24, 2018, 03:06:00 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Plus, as an isolated tribe that's been separated from the world at large for thousands of years they don't have the natural immunity to most diseases that the rest of humanity has built up over the centuries.  Any attempt to contact them like this guy did would likely wind up infecting and wiping out most of them.
#14  November 24, 2018, 03:56:29 pm
what happened next they cooked him in the pot too?
human is not an endangered species, why would indian government allow this violent tribe to do what they please? why do we suddenly accept this as normalcy, what if there is a tribe who openly practice canibalism, raping women, and enslaved captives from neighboring tribe, but they live in an island or deep in the forest would the rest of the world respect their will to be left alone to do what they have done for thousand of years?
while their island is technically a part of India, india has never really tried to claim it. its really treated it as a sovereign state for all intends and purposes, as there's really no resources nor any investments they could make from it.
add to that the fact that its actually quite far from india as it is only reachable with a boat or plane, and its sorta understandable why india left them alone. im pretty sure the resources they'd have to spend to go there and build a police station or something are much more needed for the main land india who doesn't even have a proper sewage treatment.
as for cannibalism, most tribes who practice cannibalism are really a problem that will eventually solve itself.
ever heard of prions or the creutzfeldt–jakob disease? its sort of like a virus but more deadly and not curable. when someone consumes an infected human (specifically their brain) they will get infected too. about 90% of people die within a year of diagnosis of said disease.
if you give too much of a shit read about it here.
what if this island is hit by tsunami, would indian government also let them succumb to their fate and not trying to help?
they check on them when a tsunami hits them. that picture in the first post was taken by a helicopter who was sent to check on them to see if they need help.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#15  November 24, 2018, 05:54:12 pm
maybe they could build a giant statue in the island and employ the poor bastards. lol.
#16  November 25, 2018, 12:05:40 am
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
why would indian government allow this violent tribe to do what they please?

Because, at the end of the day, they're just minding their own business, defending their territory against intruders. It's not like they're deliberately looking for people to kill like serial killers or something. That idiot had no business going there, and he just created trouble for the Indian government who will now have to find and retrieve his body without disturbing the tribe.
#17  November 25, 2018, 01:27:55 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
His deus vult was weak.
#18  November 25, 2018, 04:56:59 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com

lmfao, he expected to convert a 30,000 year old tribe, that has made it clear it wants no contact, to his religion like "normal people" alright

Base on another article I've read he actually sang to them.  :laugh3:

I'm hoping he didn't leave the natives with comic book versions of the bible. That's pretty much contaminating their culture.

If that island somehow survives an apocalypse after a few million years an inquisitive descendant reads it, gets inspired, motivated and bullied then sets out to go look for the messiah fighting all kinds of dangers like mutants, aliens and demons.  Yeah I can see an anime or RPG game inspired by this.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#19  November 25, 2018, 04:59:17 am
maybe the guy who died will be their version of jesus ... he died for our sins.