YesNoOk

Unlockable Characters in fighting games, yes or no? (Read 24743 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, February 23, 2012, 05:39:32 pm
Share this topic:

Poll

Unlockable characters in fighting games, do you like that?

Yes, i like to unlock many characters (Smash Bros, Tekken 5 as example)
54 (68.4%)
Yes, but i prefer it if only boss characters are need to get unlocked (MVC3 as example)
8 (10.1%)
Nay, just give me all at the start (Tekken 6, Super SFIV as example)
17 (21.5%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Re: Unlockable Characters in fighting games, yes or no?
#101  August 19, 2012, 09:49:17 am
  • StormEX
  • | Content Creator | Gamer | Programmer |
    • USA
    • Twitch.tv/ZayOsirisGaming
I use to love the idea of unlocking characters in video games, of any platform (when I was a kid). But as I got older I often found myself annoyed by the idea of having to go through a bunch of nonsense just to play as one of my favorite characters. I think they had it right when you just unlocked taunts, palettes, art works, ect. However unlocking the actual character right from the start, is a much better idea now in days.
#102  August 19, 2012, 07:15:00 pm
  • Got a worse Birthday than that Pink Blob.
    • USA
Sorry to bump this, but I just wanted to say something.

I wonder it those that are against unlockable content really miss the arcade scene? Where the games out there with what one's see in them. And all that mattered was proving everyone that you were the best.

arcade games also had unlockables, what's your point (as in, eleborate more as the topic is old and I am not rereading it).
But, what were unlocked there are mostly bosses, alternative versions of a starting character, and different music. And those are relevant to the tournament scene.

Playing in arcades was an easier experience for some. Arcades was meant to attract crowds, which was easy find to challenge someone(if either you or they cared, of course) in a multiplayer match, or have a higher chance for someone to see your skills at least show your skills in the game.

Many arcade titles of the fighting type majority have one mode of gameplay, and that is to beat CPU Enemies from beginning to end. To many players then, this was the only training mode they need. That and multiplayer spars with others.

Also, arcades were shorter, so many didn't have to waste that much time and cost 25 to 50 cents. Fighting game fans could have their entire experience for less than $5. Everything that is(or was) relevant to tournament play was given at the moment one has inserted a coin. And if they they're not challenge someone to a multiplayer match, then arcade mode can be their "training mode."

Also, many prefer arcade sticks to controllers, anyway.
We have online and local play for that.
But is it the same? Does it truly fill the void?
#103  August 19, 2012, 08:06:53 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
online is awful.
#104  August 19, 2012, 08:34:28 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Only in games nobody plays.  SF4, UMVC3, everything by Arc System Works and Soul Calibur 5 all have good netcode. 
#105  August 20, 2012, 02:24:44 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
KOFXIII?
Amazing game, shittiest netcode ever, no lobbies and no interesting online features whatsoever.
#106  August 20, 2012, 03:11:41 am
  • Fuck You.
agreed

but i dont have internet anyway so fuck online play altogether

rather play locally so yeah
i cant count the reasons i should stay

one by one they all just fade away...

http://nero-blanco.deviantart.com/
#107  August 20, 2012, 03:17:00 am
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • to hell with this site, find me at mffa or w/e
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/
online is awful.

yeah. years ago i was itching to play against people on the internet; i mean shit how cool is that? fightin' people all over the world! and more than i've had stable sessions, i've had unbearable lag, desynchs all over the place, delayed as hell inputs and games that can't even be played online at all for any of those reasons. wish the people who played this stuff were around my state so i wouldn't have to deal with this shit

and yes, kof13's bad netcode is tragic beyond words

Only in games nobody plays.  SF4, UMVC3, everything by Arc System Works and Soul Calibur 5 all have good netcode. 

you're forgetting that battle fantasia has terrible netcode since that is an arc system works work
#108  August 20, 2012, 05:50:15 am
  • Staying Alive
    • Panama
Chilling
#109  August 20, 2012, 04:08:49 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico

it's still shitty compared to arcades.
#110  August 20, 2012, 07:10:07 pm
  • MUGEN IS MY LIFE /I promise from not to derail.
You know console versions have always something extra good than Arcades versions.
Esaka rules Beat that.... Or Just Get outta my way
#111  August 20, 2012, 07:38:57 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
yeah man, I can eat pizza on a table while on home, but arcades are better because I can smoke.
#112  August 20, 2012, 08:18:13 pm
  • Not enough Flow
    • USA
So am I the only one that thinks there should be hidden and unlockable things in-game, but have them unlockable from the getgo via a magic button input? It works great! "Hardcore" gamers and tournament players can do their do without problem, and "Casuals" or people with more time on their hands can work for each character individually when they want to. I call it a "Konami Compromise".

On a side note, I was kinda disappointed when I bought Super Street Fighter IV and I already had everyone unlocked.
#113  August 20, 2012, 08:26:03 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
I prefer the old system as well,

it can be only me but today, in the games with all characters unlocked like tekken 6, ssfivae and MK (Komplete Edition) i am playing with only 1-5 characters anymore.

In games with unlockable characters my game usage was different. I dont know if it was only different because of the unlockable characters, but i learned all 8, 12, 16,24 characters which were avaiable from the start so i knew their special moves, combos and whatnot.That goes even for the 30+ big characters rosters from the KOF games, those had only a few new characters and moves with every game however.. After i was relative good with the characters from the start and knew how they all played i started unlocking the others and learned those as well.

Because my experiences of the past i am still quite good with just all tekken 1-5 characters but still dont know the most of their new moves. I will try to change that in ttt2, but i just dont have the motivation anymore to learn all the characters since they are avaiable from the start
#114  August 20, 2012, 10:55:51 pm
  • Sunglasses Security Guy is watching you necrobump.
    • x-ism.co.cc/index.html

it's still shitty compared to arcades.

The irony behind that statement is that the "Arcade Edition" of Super Street Fighter 4 had far more content than the original console ports - AE was released as DLC, I believe (though the PC version has AE content included from the start, given its late release).