YesNoOk

Adding New Sprites to a Fighter, but Palette Not Applied... (Read 1755 times)

Started by George777, October 26, 2018, 09:13:06 pm
Share this topic:
Adding New Sprites to a Fighter, but Palette Not Applied...
#1  October 26, 2018, 09:13:06 pm
Hey everyone.

I have a completed fighter in front of me, complete with 6 palettes. I wanted to add in new sprites to program new moves (practicing coding and stuff), and I was successfully able to get the moves to work, complete with the animations of the new sprites.

My problem is, whenever the new sprites are called, they won't use the currently selected palette, but rather switch over to the default. I'm unsure what to do here, and I've tried pushing as many buttons as I can, including the whole "apply the specified palette" thing. What should I do?

Thanks!
Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 07:04:23 am by George777
Re: Adding New Sprites to a Fighter, but Palette Not Applied...
#2  October 26, 2018, 11:02:53 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA

Because WinMugen and Mugen 1.0+ use different ways to make the SFF we need to know what version you're coding for.

One major question. Are the two sets of colors the same? Like exactly the same values numerically, and in the same exact spot?
When you scroll to the sprites that aren't working, Does fighter factory switch to a different palette or does it stay on 1,0 or 0,0?
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#3  October 27, 2018, 07:33:32 am
So, when I'm in Sprites, and I am on 1,0 (default palette), all sprites, including the ones I imported, remain with the same default color, and use the 1,0 palette. If I switch to a different palette like 1,3, then all sprites, including the ones I imported, properly show the 1,3 palettes.

Also as far as WinMugen vs Mugen 1.0+, I'm unsure what I'm using. Is there a way for me to check that?
Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 08:11:38 pm by Odb718
#4  October 27, 2018, 08:15:59 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA

You don't have to quote the statement above yours. Just reply.

Usually there's a couple ways to do it but the easiest way is to look in the char's Def file. So in FF3/FFS you can just open the char and see in the Def by default. You'll see something like

[Info]
name = "Ryu"
displayname = "Ryu718"
versiondate = 02,16,2011  ;-7/5/2014
mugenversion = 1.0 ;04,14,2001
author = "GGN & Odb718"
pal.defaults = 1,2,3,4,5,6

So this char is set up for 1.0. If you dont see 1.0 or 1.1 in mugenversion 99.9% chance it's WinMugen.

If you're using WinMugen, you may be able to do a simple trick. At the top of Fighter Factory, go under Sprites and hit Save As. Then select Beta, this is WinMugen. If the sprites are out of order FF will try to fix them if you let it.
#5  October 28, 2018, 07:36:51 am
Sorry about the quote thing. Didn't know.

Anyway, for the matter at hand. The fighter is definitely set up for WinMugen. Unfortunately, I'm unable to do the trick that you mentioned. Under Sprites, I can click Save As, but I never receive a prompt to say "Beta, this is WinMugen."
#6  October 28, 2018, 08:18:14 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA

Are you using FF3 or FFS? I know Fighter Factory 3 lets you do it pretty easy. You should get something like this.

The palette may, or may not, be the problem. Are you sure when you switch to the sprites that are having the trouble, when you slide the palette bar, everything changes colors perfectly?
#7  October 29, 2018, 07:03:41 am
Looks like that did the trick! I was using FFS, and so I switched to FF3 and the prompt came up properly. I re-did my attempts at applying the palettes and they worked properly this time.

Thanks for the help!

And the takeaway here is. USE FF3~