YesNoOk

Star Wars Thread: The Rise of running out of witty titles (Read 473217 times)

Started by Roman55, October 30, 2012, 09:02:49 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Star Wars Thread: The Last Jedi (till later movies)
#341  January 24, 2017, 10:26:31 pm
The good vs evil was always part of the iconic status of the original trilogy but it was also one of the things that never made sense (it does inside the movies, but not the minute you look outside of their limits). If Disney wants to build on this universe, like everyone else from the extended universe, they have to completely revamp that aspect, it just doesn't work if you want a world built around it. It's just that any new approach to the concept is a massive risk of simply making the original trilogy look like a bunch of fools. All I know of it is what they're doing on Star Wars Rebels (I have seen neither Clone Wars nor any of the extended universe stuff, books or comics or anything), and they're taking their sweet time easing us into this concept.
There's a slight hope that they'll pull something believable while not making the Jedi and Sith of the original trilogy look like idiots, everyone on the Net has been talking about how Luke was definitely searching for the "original temples" giving the original explanation to what the Force is and how to properly use it without falling into either extreme. If Luke is the one to tell us about it and show his own growth through it, it just might work.
Plus, the extended universe fans are already familiar with the concept of the grey Jedi.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:31:02 pm by Byakko
#342  January 25, 2017, 01:20:18 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
The prequels (maybe? who can tell with those pieces of shit) added, or at least, attempted to add an interesting layer of complexity to the Jedi: whereas the original trilogy spoke of the Jedi as incorruptible and always noble, the prequels showed them to be an overly bureaucratic, mostly useless and vestigial remnant of what was perhaps a once great order. I know a popular theory is that Anakin actually did balance the Force by helping destroy the Jedi, but I don't think the movies really support that argument; one never got the sense that the Light and Dark sides of the Force were in any way equivalent, or that there needed to be any sort balancing between the child-murdering Sith and the peace-loving Jedi. It definitely seems like the intent of those movies was to show that the Jedi order failed in its duties, however, and were indirectly responsible for their downfall.

That would be a pretty cool and interesting tack to pick up in the new movies; Luke was trained by the last vestiges of the old Jedi order, and the same flaws they had repeated in Luke's brief revival of the Jedi. It's easy to imagine a basic plot where it's revealed Luke has been researching the origins of the Jedi and learns about the most ancient practices and shit (or maybe he just reforms the whole Jedi philosophy/teaching style himself), and he trains Rey in this reformed style, and together they go on to train others.

Luke gets to be the Last Jedi, while Rey and the future generation are something else. Something better.
#343  April 14, 2017, 06:28:39 pm
  • I am become Death, Destroyer of Tiers
    • UK

1st trailer for Last Jedi.
#344  April 15, 2017, 05:54:29 am
    • USA
#345  April 15, 2017, 07:24:19 pm
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?

Rebels Season 4 Trailer, GET HYPE!!

I remember when Rebels 1st came out and I was not interested in it. Then I saw Vader was on it and decided to give it a try. I came for the Sith Lord but stayed for the Rebels.
#346  June 21, 2017, 04:26:23 am
    • USA
#347  September 07, 2017, 08:30:34 am
    • USA
#348  September 12, 2017, 06:00:18 pm
#349  September 12, 2017, 06:08:38 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
I remember when J.J. Abrams was supposed to be the new Spielberg and somehow he's just become the safe choice to make when you need a director to bring your genre reboot in on schedule
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#350  September 13, 2017, 01:47:38 am
  • Sublimity.
    • Canada
So, Return of Another Jedi? Hard to feel confident when Abrams will be co-writing this with BvS' writer.

lui

#351  September 13, 2017, 02:21:36 am
    • USA
jj is the new lucas of star wars i see

og trilogy had lucas, that other dude who directed empire strikes back, and then lucas again

this time around it will be jj,johnson,jj

hopefully it ends on a more original note
#352  September 13, 2017, 02:39:29 am
#353  September 14, 2017, 01:11:21 am
    • USA
So, Return of Another Jedi? Hard to feel confident when Abrams will be co-writing this with BvS' writer.
Well, Terrio also wrote Argo, so don't get too down. Co-writing something Zack Snyder is bound to bring anyone down!
#354  September 14, 2017, 01:20:31 am
If he just stays away from anyone named Martha, it'll be okay, right ?
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#355  October 10, 2017, 04:04:39 am
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
TRAILER!!!!
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#356  October 10, 2017, 05:31:50 am
    • Venezuela
    • Blacksight22@Yahoo.Com.Ve
    • Skype - sebastian.osio
OH  GOD I DON'T BELIEVE IN!! JESUS FIRE BREATHING CHRIST!

#357  October 11, 2017, 01:13:01 am
  • PLUS ULTRA!
    • USA
I'm on cloud nine after seeing this trailer 5 times already. This is what I get from watching the Trailer Rey experience with Luke doesn't go well at all, he's terrified at the power she has like Kylo and doesn't want to guide her because he fears she'll turn to the Dark side. Kylo right now is wanting to bury his past that includes his Mother and maybe even Snoke who knows. Rey maybe turns to Kylo because he is the only one remember he said it Episode 7 you need a Teacher I can be that person for you and she remembered that. The rules have always been the rule of 2 Sith and Apprentice and the Apprentice history shows always wants to to be the big dog and it's had the Sith being killed by his or her own Apprentice. What if when Rey confronts Snoke because I think he's talking to Snoke and he drops who she is and maybe Snoke wanted Rey from the beginning which is why she was hidden, and he settled on Kylo to be his Apprentice. Maybe Snoke is about to possibly kill her and Kylo jumps in because he wants to kill and they eventually team up and now Kylo is the Sith Lord and Rey is the Apprentice? Which brings out Luke from the state he's in to stop them both with the help of Finn???

Luke is afraid of her power as if he was about to meet God himself that makes me go woah she's stronger than him even in his prime that says something as is Kylo. We've been seeing alot of Red being apart of this Trailer and with Kylo and Rey on their journeys could this two team up to take out Snoke? Star Wars Rebels the show has shown not everything is light and dark maybe those two are in the middle. The order of Jedi and Sith needs to end Luke said it imagine if Rey and Kylo are like we don't get along, but Snoke is a necessary evil we need to get rid of.

Finn I'm happy to see alot of with him fighting Captain Phasma. Finn's storyline of being a child Soldier and breaking from the First Order I'm hoping they dive into that more seeing him even when he was younger struggling to make a decision during his training. Lastly I hope Luke puts Rey through the Water with some Jedi Trails something that hasn't been seen in a Live Action version, shit is truly serious and intense.
#358  November 12, 2017, 12:01:59 am
  • Does this look like the face of mercy?
So even though Episode VIII isn't even out yet Disney apparenlty liked what Rian Johnson did that they hried him to write and direct a brand new Star Wars Trilogy:
http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/star-wars-tv-series-disney-streaming-service-1202611408/

There's also going to be a live-action Star Wars TV series coming to Disney's upcoming streaming service.

So Disney is going to milk that Star Wars cow until is nothing but dust 'n bones and then might dry that some more. Look, I'm happy we have more Star Wars but that's also the problem, there's far too much Star Wars nowdays one after another. :-\

In another note: anyone else watching Rebels Season 4?
#359  November 12, 2017, 12:15:03 am
The Extended Universe has kept on going for years and some of it was actually well appreciated, now it's just being done by Disney themselves. The only thing I figure is if it's new episodes for the main numbered saga, then it should be about something really central to the Star Wars universe itself, which is likely about the Force itself. the Extended Universe dug pretty far into the Skywalker and Solo lineages, but the current trilogy is apparently refocusing it all on Jedis, the Force, and the Light and Dark side. As long as it doesn't sound too much like some of the bad fanfiction and mary sues that the EU had, I figure Disney is smart enough to do it decently. They seem to have a pretty specific goal in mind for Rebels on the mystical side (I'm following it, yes), but it's still a little fuzzy and unspecific yet.
#360  December 16, 2017, 12:54:42 am
Saw it.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 01:16:33 am by Byakko