YesNoOk

Death Battle (And sprite fight animations) (Read 17395895 times)

Started by Long John Killer, April 09, 2015, 03:59:16 am
Share this topic:
Re: Death Battle (And sprite fight animations)
#1921  September 06, 2018, 02:49:52 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Wow.  That...is a really goddamn boring reason. (The sticks, not the rest Speedpreacher added about being romantics and surviving the city against them)

I mean, yay, live-action next episode, people apparently really wanted this, go for it, woo.

Eh, whatever, can't all be personal winners.  See how it goes, I suppose.  Did Nightwing ever deal with Bane?  Because Daredevil deals with Kingpin, and seeing Batman has issues with Bane, and I'm presuming Nightwing never really got to a point where he was objectionably better than his Batman outside some parallel universe, Daredevil's then probably beaten bigger foes.

...So I proclaim with severely bare knowledge on the two.  I guess Nightwing does get some of Bats gadgets, like his sticks are electrified as I recall.
#1922  September 12, 2018, 07:38:43 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Darkwing

#1923  September 13, 2018, 12:10:02 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Eh, whatever, can't all be personal winners.  See how it goes, I suppose.  Did Nightwing ever deal with Bane?  Because Daredevil deals with Kingpin, and seeing Batman has issues with Bane, and I'm presuming Nightwing never really got to a point where he was objectionably better than his Batman outside some parallel universe, Daredevil's then probably beaten bigger foes.
I don't believe so, but it's certainly possible that at some point they fought.

I will point out one little complicating factor in all this: while Daredevil faces off quite frequently with Kingpin, 99% of the time they interact, it's not by fighting; furthermore, when they do fight, Kingpin usually wins! I'm pretty certain that it took like, 25+ years for Daredevil to finally decisively defeat Kingpin in a one-on-one match (over in Bendis's Daredevil #50). Kingpin is a *seriously* powerful dude; after all, he debuted as a Spider-Man villain, who—despite being a non-superpowered human—was a serious threat to a (teenaged and inexperienced) Spider-Man! Kingpin also was a pretty even match for Captain America a few years after his debut!

All of which should not be taken to imply that Daredevil is no match for Nightwing! It's just, Kingpin is a really tough dude, and it's only natural that Daredevil would get his ass beat every time he tried to take a swing at ol' Fisk-y! In fact, I'd say this match up is heavily in Daredevil's favor; Daredevil is generally considered to be one of the finest martial artists at Marvel, and his enhanced senses are a huge asset. Though Nightwing is obviously a seriously talented fighter, he's far from the Bat-family's best fighter.
#1924  September 16, 2018, 12:16:13 am
    • USA
You make a good point, but as per Death Battle, they're not too strict on if a feat was a one-time thing, as long as it's technecally possible to be replicated.  If Daredevil beat Kingpin one-on-one fairly once, then that's all that matters, at that point Nightwing needs to compete at that level to match.

This is of course kinda unfair for a number of cases.  Not to dredge up this old debate, but it was an annoying issue with their Superman versus Goku fight, in that at one point Superman may have lifted something called infinite in weight though not acting like such, thus he can hit a supposed max of unlimited power as long as he's in the sun, thus for the fight he's always unlimited with zero drain.  Which is simply not how that character works, I don't think that's how it even worked when it was a similar concept with Superman One Million being in that sun for thousands of years until he hit a cap?
#1925  September 20, 2018, 12:06:06 am
    • USA
The second worst Ben Affleck superhero.

#1926  September 26, 2018, 07:27:43 pm
  • Sunglasses at night
    • USA
It's out

#1927  September 26, 2018, 10:06:17 pm
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
I thought it was a decent battle. Good to see Nightwing do his homework when it comes to Daredevil.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#1928  September 26, 2018, 11:27:56 pm
    • USA
Hm.  S'okay on the outcome.  Not thoroughly invested on either side, but I guess their turnout is fine and they did well with the live-action, good episode.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

But ok then, big match number 100.  They did say it would be big, but when they shot down it being Goku versus Superman taking in feedback from the people who called out mistakes, I just kinda guessed they weren't doing a rematch at all.  Mario and Sonic's fine, though.

...Except what new rules have they really added over the years since the first one?  No self-aware outside help and maybe adding even more power-ups?  Still kinda stacked against Mario for the very reason they came up with prior; Mario lacks practically anything noteworthy by himself without the power-ups, which run out, whilst Sonic has natural super speed.  But I guess they'll divulge what the big changes are in the next DBC or something.
Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 11:32:57 pm by Long John Killer
#1929  September 27, 2018, 12:38:39 am
    • USA
I am glad they didn't go for a third Goku vs Superman video because there is still no version of that fight where Supes doesn't completely stomp him in every category.  We don't need another wave of fanboys whining about Plus Ultra Instinct or whatever new color of hair dye Goku is using to power up now.
#1930  September 27, 2018, 12:49:00 am
    • USA
Man, come on, don't bait.  You know that's objectively untrue.  And the reasoning they had behind Superman's powers is simply not in-line with how the character works.  It wouldn't be a hanging issue if it wasn't so inaccurate.
#1931  September 27, 2018, 01:01:05 am
    • USA
In my mind, it ultimately boils down to the fundamental structure of the characters.  Goku is a character designed around the concept of reaching his limits and surpassing them.  Superman is a character designed to have no limits whatsoever.  Put the two of them against each other and eventually Goku's going to hit a point where he's reached his maximum, while Superman doesn't have a maximum to reach.  They're both absolutely bonkers in their own right but as far as I see it, it's a matter of infinity vs infinity minus 1.
#1932  September 27, 2018, 01:17:16 am
    • USA
But you're talking character design in writing the character, not statistics.  Physically, in actuality, Superman is akin to a plant in the sun.  Consistently being renewed, but with a limit that's constantly with a bar pushed just far enough to just barely not reach when the situation's dire, dependent on the story's problem presented, not outside the realm of possibility to be overtaxed and broken.  Not to mention by that very design, by putting them against each other and by forced narrative of the fight, Goku must surpass infinity because that is the current limit put in front of him.....Which at the stupid rate Dragon Ball Super has gone is probably not that far off, seeing he's stronger than time, and then you get the Xenoverse nonsense about sensing through multiple realities and far beyond multi-universe threats but I digress.  Stuff's stupid, anyways.

If you were in charge of this hypothetical actual story being written between D.C. Comics and...I dunno who exactly would call the shots at this point, let's just say Toriyama, then yes, you could write this confrontation in that manner and it would be acceptable.  But as per Death Battle, going by character designs and morals and whatnot should not affect outside how they approach the situation's solution.

And no, this will not be the topic once again.  Not until they actually pick up the match themselves and we see what they go with.  Enough has been said about what is, what could have been and what's been done wrong.

What is being done is Mario versus Sonic again.  Which I'm curious what they intend to make it at all different than the previous match.  Off the top of my head I only got Cappy making any difference, and it's not like Mario's throwing his hat at super sonic speeds.
Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 01:21:55 am by Long John Killer

lui

#1933  September 27, 2018, 01:20:10 am
    • USA
The goku vs Superman debate could be the topic again if people want. You're in no position to tell anyone here otherwise, if you don't wanna hear it, too bad. You don't have to chime in at all and you can very easily just ignore the topic altogether.

You took his bait and you reacted in a way that feels overly invested. It was very easy to not react at all. If the old Goku vs Superman topic becomes the main thing for the next couple posts, you only have yourself to blame if you get irked by it.
Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 01:24:31 am by Walruslui
#1934  September 27, 2018, 01:30:46 am
    • USA
Just for the record I wasn't trying to bait anyone; Since LJK brought it up I was just chiming in to say I'm relieved they weren't doing it again because I'm sick of hearing about it.

Apologies if that was viewed as inflammatory or anything, it honestly wasn't my intention.
#1935  September 27, 2018, 01:40:23 am
    • USA
Alright, let me word that better.  No, I'm pretty sure we don't and I don't want to bring up this old topic once again until they actually have something new to discuss about it, there's newer things more relevant and better to talk about.  No offense was taken, it's all good.
#1936  September 27, 2018, 12:18:31 pm
instead of goku vs. superman again why not squirrel girl vs saitama.
#1937  September 27, 2018, 03:09:03 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
There's nothing they can do with DBZ characters that won't just make fans mad.  Even the fights where they win get scrutinized for not taking into account every obscure fan theory on what character's power level scaling is or based on who they theorize would be able to do so and so feat when DB's research is mainly centered around concrete canon feats.

Besides, Superman has had Ultra Instinct since the beginning.  That's what "faster than a speeding bullet" means :D
#1938  October 04, 2018, 01:27:17 am
    • USA
Some guy who kinda looks like Waluigi

#1939  October 04, 2018, 03:06:10 am
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
From watching this video, it sounds like the new rules is putting the power ups in play now.

If you remember the original fight (along with the Luigi vs. Tails and Knuckles vs. Donkey Kong fights), power ups were not used since they cancelled each other out. Now with power ups in play, this suddenly becomes a whole new ball game.
#1940  October 04, 2018, 03:57:22 am
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Oh man, and Mario has a ton of them he can use.... He might be able to win this time.