YesNoOk

ripping moves from other chars sometimes doesn't work. What's wrong? (Read 1212 times)

Started by horcon, November 08, 2019, 08:35:49 pm
Share this topic:
ripping moves from other chars sometimes doesn't work. What's wrong?
#1  November 08, 2019, 08:35:49 pm
Hi pals:

Since years I extract/rip some codes from other chars to put into my roster to get the same attributes as parry, dash, focus, alpha counter, MvC long jumps, etc.
But I see some chars simply doesn't detect the added codes. In some cases if you "sacrifice" a native movement changing the CNS ID statedef number for the added code, it works; in some characters it's very easy add a move/code from other char; but there's chars where hardly some new added things works.
What am I doing wrong?
In some cases putting buffer time in the CMD also make it work; but other chars don't allow to add nothing or almost nothing...
what I miss?

Re: ripping moves from other chars sometimes doesn't work. What's wrong?
#2  November 08, 2019, 10:53:27 pm
    • USA
There could be a couple of things that could be happening.

1. The code that you are ripping has other pieces of code that its missing. Try checking the States and Command files to see if you've missed anything. Also try to find sprites related to the action to see where they're located in states.
2. The code conflicts with other code that your character already has.
3. The code is designed for another version of Mugen. Check with the debug menu to see if the character you're ripping it from is in compatability mode.

It's best to double check things before ripping them, some people use some wild things just so that they can work in Mugen. Don't beat yourself over it if you don't get it the first try.
#3  November 09, 2019, 04:30:29 pm
Thx for replying bro
3. The code is designed for another version of Mugen. Check with the debug menu to see if the character you're ripping it from is in compatability mode.
How I do that? Just activating the debug mode on battle with CTRL+D? Or another way to see compatibility?
#4  November 09, 2019, 08:22:01 pm
    • USA
How I do that? Just activating the debug mode on battle with CTRL+D? Or another way to see compatibility?

Yup!

For example, Warasuki3's Dio was made for Mugen beta. When loading into Mugen 1.0 the game puts him into 1.0 compatability mode. It should pop up in the upper left corner as "Info: X loading in pre-1.0 compatability mode". It's a bit hard to see since the text is white, but jump and you can make it out.

I'd also lookup all of the things that were made obsolete during the jump to 1.0 or 1.1. I know for a fact that explods made animation functions obsolete as well as helpers making projectiles kinda obsolete. (The only real reason to use a projectile over a helper is if you want it to register as one if a character has a parry grab like Geese)
#5  November 11, 2019, 11:19:22 pm
Thank for the info bro.
Much apreciated ;-)