YesNoOk

Which type of combo system do you like best? (Read 5145 times)

Started by D. HoChoy, October 16, 2016, 08:05:33 am
Share this topic:

Poll

Which one?

Link combos
6 (22.2%)
Dial-a-combos
5 (18.5%)
Chain combos
15 (55.6%)
Other
1 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Which type of combo system do you like best?
#1  October 16, 2016, 08:05:33 am
    • USA
    • dhochoy09@gmail.com
    • dhgallery.weebly.com/
For those who don't know:

-Link combos are combos that have very strict timing and require considerable amount of frame data knowledge (EX: Street Fighter, King of Fighters)
-Dial-a-combos are a set of bread-and-butter combos for each character with lenient timing on inputs and predetermined outcomes (EX: Mortal Kombat, Injustice, Killer Instinct)
-Chain combos are similar to dial-a-combos in the sense they can be 'dialed in' but follow a more general sort of rules (EX: Marvel vs. Capcom, Skullgirls, Tekken)

Which is best...?
Re: Which type of combo system do you like best?
#2  October 16, 2016, 09:36:55 am
  • Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.
  • 2D Fighting games forever!
    • Brazil
King of Fighters combo system specifically, Tatsu made characters like this in CvS sprites, too bad they are 4 buttons tho, i would love to play a 6 buttons char with KoF mechanics.
Lasagna
#3  October 16, 2016, 09:40:03 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
Juggle combos.......
#4  October 16, 2016, 09:52:20 am
King of Fighters
Those have chain combos. Links do exist, but it's not the dominant combo scheme.

Killer Instinct
Same as KoF.

Tekken
Those aren't chains, they're strings/dial-a-combo. Same for other 3D fighters.

Which is best?
Depends on the mechanics around it. Links often work better for slower paced games, chains/strings for games with a quicker tempo.
#5  October 16, 2016, 01:52:32 pm
    • Brazil
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100074220240917
dial-a-combos... juggle combos system is interesting too
#6  October 21, 2016, 04:19:26 pm
    • Philippines
KOF. Loose timing and less floaty than anime fighters
#7  October 21, 2016, 10:17:59 pm
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com
I really love chain combos, but Im beggining to like link combos like SFV. they look so good when you learn them
#8  October 21, 2016, 10:29:17 pm
  • Democracy is non-negotiable.
  • coding nearly done, supers and AI left.
    • USA
    • www.patreon.com/melcore?fan_landing=true&view_as=public
#9  October 30, 2016, 10:51:35 am
  • Secrets are just answers to the wrong questions...
  • www.newagemugen.com
    • Greece
    • sakchak322@hotmail.com
    • www.newagemugen.com
hmm thats tricky....
As of recent I really got into Killer Instinct, although fundamentally my favorite combo systems of all time stem from both Tekken and Street Fighter EX Series - particularly ex2 and ex2plus which had the excel combos.
Although it was a rushed title and flopped the series, Street Fighter EX3 had an extremely dynamic combo system - combining various mechanics.
#10  October 30, 2016, 03:30:35 pm
  • nut
  • its
    • Japan
Skullgirls for their interesting chain comboing mechanics topped off with BADASS specials. Pokemon Type Wild for Lucario's relentless air combo chains. So I have to say Chain combos.
shack
#11  October 30, 2016, 03:45:37 pm
  • Pixels are atom's of resolution,Low-res or Hi-res
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com
KOF
#12  October 30, 2016, 03:52:15 pm
    • Vietnam
King of Fighters... I liked its mobility and the way you can chain combos from it
Not really relevant to what we're discussing about but the KOF characters are much more likable than characters from other games too imo they just had some kind of charm that immediately makes them a part of our family... meanwhile you see characters like Ryu and Scorpion who are pretty badass but I just don't really feel close to them on first glance

So yeah, chain combos. But then for some reason I accidentally voted for Link combos since I didn't read the whole thing before voting... kek
#13  January 16, 2017, 07:42:37 pm
    • France
I must be the only fella to vote that late, and to chose "other"  :D
I just think that my preference would lean towards some of each mechanic in the same game.
Having chain combos for "checking" opponents guard, linking combos for confirms, juggle combos for damage...
I'm not very fond of dial a combo stuff, but it has its fun part and mixup possibilities aswell.
- samurais, swords & stuff ? → Another Blade
#14  January 16, 2017, 09:54:16 pm
  • Host of the Wammy Radio Podcast
  • Wammy Giveaway
    • USA
    • wammyradio.tumblr.com
I actually like all of these combo systems, so I couldn't just vote for one.

I like them best when the combos are successive. Examples

A. In King Of Fighters, it's Basic Attack --> Command Attack --> Special Move --> Super Move
B. In the Marvel vs. Capcom series, it's Low/Light Attack, Medium Attack, High/Heavy Attack --> Special Move --> Super Move

I've never been fond of Mortal Kombat's dialing system for some reason. The sequence doesn't conform to any general rule, more importantly when performing the combo, you'll notice a few animations are exclusive to the combo. I just saw a tutorial on Sub-Zero for Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, and pressing Low Punch in one of the combos gave a completely different animation than when you execute it without a combo. It's just weird to me.

As a side note, I do prefer the dialing system of Killer Instinct's because the extra hits in the combo are automatically done for you upon dialing the right button combination.

(Does Super Smash Bros. have a combo system?)
#15  January 16, 2017, 10:48:10 pm
  • SNK is life
KOF is the best. The lenient Command Buffering really lent itself to smooth gameplay.

After playing KOF for so many years, I just couldn't fathom what this LINKS nonsense was all about in SF4, I could never get quite in there. And I still just can't get it.
#16  January 17, 2017, 12:35:34 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
kof aso ahs a few link here and there, but they are far from being important in the gam even if a few are iconic like kyo and ryo's (and others are year specific like mai's)
#17  January 17, 2017, 12:43:10 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
It's important that any combo system is very easy to execute.

Fatal Fury 3 sadly wasn't as much  fun to play with how difficult to pull off its unique chain combo system. Real Bout improved on it though.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.