YesNoOk

Piccolo (Read 46843 times)

Started by deddy95, August 10, 2015, 03:28:45 am
Share this topic:
Piccolo
#1  August 10, 2015, 03:28:45 am
Hi!
The character i'm about to show you was actually "born" seven or eight years ago and it was part of the infamous italian dbaf mugen project. I was in fact the main author and since it was my first character ever i thought it was kinda good. However years have passed and i only recently found back some interest into spriting and, with that, the full, old and terrible spritesheet of piccolo.
I decided to revisit some of the animations and i'm having more fun than i thought, even if i'm extremely slow.

These two animations were actually made by another artist whose nickname was "hangster" but i never had the opportunity to have a chat with him or anything.

These basics movements are not that good, especially the walking cycle based off the ub22 piccolo. It looks kinda good here where i can pin every frame on the leaning foot, not so good in mugen where the character moves at a constant speed BUT LET'S MOVE ON.

My idea is not to make this an extremely smooth animated character, i want to get to a certain point where i'm okay with the animation and don't have the necessity to retouch it over and over.
I hope you enjoy! :)
Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 03:30:47 am by deddy95
Re: Piccolo
#2  August 10, 2015, 03:35:39 am
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
These look great. but I don't like the stance, I think it looks silly. however a lot of the animations look really good.

These basics movements are not that good, especially the walking cycle based off the ub22 piccolo. It looks kinda good here where i can pin every frame on the leaning foot, not so good in mugen where the character moves at a constant speed BUT LET'S MOVE ON.

you could be hardcore and recode the walk state for him so that it moves with posadds.
#3  August 10, 2015, 11:07:21 am
Hi deddy, nice sprites.
They animate smoothly, more than the other characters from the same DBAF game.
Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 11:27:38 am by Alex Sinigaglia
#4  August 10, 2015, 11:56:05 am
  • Game cards do not actually talk
    • New Zealand
    • Skype - lunchpolice
    • www.youtube.com/user/Quackbillion
This looks great. I could learn a thing or two about animation from you :P
Formerly LunchPolice aka Quack
#5  August 10, 2015, 01:16:00 pm
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
A lot of these have a very natural and fluid movement. My favorite of all is certainly the last animation, because it just works so well.

Shit
#6  August 10, 2015, 01:17:23 pm
Thanks everyone, i really appreciate your feedback! Anyway there's a thing i have to point out, i have NO IDEA about how to code a character nor i have knowledge enough about fighting games to know what i want for piccolo. I see a lot of project and released characters from this community and the only thing i can think of is "how did they come up with that?". If any coder will ever be interested in this character he'll probably get full discretion about his fighting style or, anyway, anyone can write down in this thread ideas, mechanisms or moves he'd like to see.
Thanks again for your answers!
#7  August 19, 2015, 02:50:53 pm
Hi! Back with some new animations for the green one.

I also made a knee-kick and for the sake of the animation itself i made 2 charging frames with this being the result:
Those frames slow down a lot the action so i thought that this solution would work better in game:
Now that i'm getting used to that animation i think that i could add one frame after the hit to enhance the impact, what do you think?
#8  August 19, 2015, 03:42:05 pm
  • Shit
Good gracious, you pull off an amazing and unique flow with your animations. And yes, one more frame for the impact would cause a greater damage effect for the hit, so go for it.

Shit
#9  August 19, 2015, 04:44:02 pm
Does it look good to you?
#10  August 19, 2015, 08:39:06 pm
  • Shit
Yes, that looks excellent.

Shit
#11  August 19, 2015, 08:44:50 pm
  • I'll be back...
    • Cuba
amazing
#12  August 19, 2015, 11:23:37 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
These are some gorgeous animations right there. I'm pretty sure a coder will appear quickly if you continue such quality. :)
#13  August 23, 2015, 04:35:49 pm
Thank you guys for all this positive feedback!! I'm thinking about moving this thread in the Sprite projects section, this character is going to get a full spritesheet.

I think it's pretty fluid and "good to go" even if every sprite is not that good.
What do you think?
This is the second version without the usual charging frames:
#14  August 23, 2015, 05:33:10 pm
  • Striving to improve!
    • USA
These are animated really nicely. I'll be definitely watching this if it becomes a full sprite project. Keep it up!
#15  August 23, 2015, 10:12:17 pm
  • Shit
I personally think that the second version is a better animation to go for. The charging frames are nice, but would fit more for a stronger looking kind of kick.

Shit
#16  August 23, 2015, 11:26:54 pm
You're right! I replaced a kick of the old piccolo with this new animation (without the charging frames) and it looks absolutely better, thank you!
Hm, the head is a little bit jumpy, i'll fix it.
#17  August 26, 2015, 06:30:15 am
  • StormEX
  • | Content Creator | Gamer | Programmer |
    • USA
    • Twitch.tv/ZayOsirisGaming
This kind of reminds me of when Balthazar first showed up. Lol

Amazing sprite work man :)
#18  August 26, 2015, 05:26:14 pm
  • I need your help...
    • Mexico
Wow! I really want this for my next chapter mi amigo

Contact me if you want a mugen stuff or if you wanna give a donation I appreciate.
: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=EMU3HTMW4MPUL
Nintendo 3DS friend code: 1307-0181-1655
Name: chuchoryu
#19  August 26, 2015, 05:29:01 pm
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
    • Skype - DJHANNIBALROYCEUSA
    • sites.google.com/site/djhrmugen/
wow. very clean....very clean
Follow me on twitter! @djhannibalroyce
#20  August 26, 2015, 05:50:57 pm
Thank you very much guys!
This new animation i just finished should obviously work as a launcher kick:

It was kinda difficult to sprite since most of the frames were done by scratch (and i'm not that skilled yet) and those goddamn saggy-pants are not easy to shade but i'm satisfied with the result.
Every part of the body seems to follow a smooth trajectory and that's what matters the most to me. What do you think?