YesNoOk

Piccolo (Read 46785 times)

Started by deddy95, August 10, 2015, 03:28:45 am
Share this topic:
Piccolo
#1  August 10, 2015, 03:28:45 am
Hi!
The character i'm about to show you was actually "born" seven or eight years ago and it was part of the infamous italian dbaf mugen project. I was in fact the main author and since it was my first character ever i thought it was kinda good. However years have passed and i only recently found back some interest into spriting and, with that, the full, old and terrible spritesheet of piccolo.
I decided to revisit some of the animations and i'm having more fun than i thought, even if i'm extremely slow.

These two animations were actually made by another artist whose nickname was "hangster" but i never had the opportunity to have a chat with him or anything.

These basics movements are not that good, especially the walking cycle based off the ub22 piccolo. It looks kinda good here where i can pin every frame on the leaning foot, not so good in mugen where the character moves at a constant speed BUT LET'S MOVE ON.

My idea is not to make this an extremely smooth animated character, i want to get to a certain point where i'm okay with the animation and don't have the necessity to retouch it over and over.
I hope you enjoy! :)
Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 03:30:47 am by deddy95
Re: Piccolo
#2  August 10, 2015, 03:35:39 am
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
These look great. but I don't like the stance, I think it looks silly. however a lot of the animations look really good.

These basics movements are not that good, especially the walking cycle based off the ub22 piccolo. It looks kinda good here where i can pin every frame on the leaning foot, not so good in mugen where the character moves at a constant speed BUT LET'S MOVE ON.

you could be hardcore and recode the walk state for him so that it moves with posadds.
#3  August 10, 2015, 11:07:21 am
Hi deddy, nice sprites.
They animate smoothly, more than the other characters from the same DBAF game.
Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 11:27:38 am by Alex Sinigaglia
#4  August 10, 2015, 11:56:05 am
  • Game cards do not actually talk
    • New Zealand
    • Skype - lunchpolice
    • www.youtube.com/user/Quackbillion
This looks great. I could learn a thing or two about animation from you :P
Formerly LunchPolice aka Quack
#5  August 10, 2015, 01:16:00 pm
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
A lot of these have a very natural and fluid movement. My favorite of all is certainly the last animation, because it just works so well.

Shit
#6  August 10, 2015, 01:17:23 pm
Thanks everyone, i really appreciate your feedback! Anyway there's a thing i have to point out, i have NO IDEA about how to code a character nor i have knowledge enough about fighting games to know what i want for piccolo. I see a lot of project and released characters from this community and the only thing i can think of is "how did they come up with that?". If any coder will ever be interested in this character he'll probably get full discretion about his fighting style or, anyway, anyone can write down in this thread ideas, mechanisms or moves he'd like to see.
Thanks again for your answers!
#7  August 19, 2015, 02:50:53 pm
Hi! Back with some new animations for the green one.

I also made a knee-kick and for the sake of the animation itself i made 2 charging frames with this being the result:
Those frames slow down a lot the action so i thought that this solution would work better in game:
Now that i'm getting used to that animation i think that i could add one frame after the hit to enhance the impact, what do you think?
#8  August 19, 2015, 03:42:05 pm
  • Shit
Good gracious, you pull off an amazing and unique flow with your animations. And yes, one more frame for the impact would cause a greater damage effect for the hit, so go for it.

Shit
#9  August 19, 2015, 04:44:02 pm
Does it look good to you?
#10  August 19, 2015, 08:39:06 pm
  • Shit
Yes, that looks excellent.

Shit
#11  August 19, 2015, 08:44:50 pm
  • I'll be back...
    • Cuba
amazing
#12  August 19, 2015, 11:23:37 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
These are some gorgeous animations right there. I'm pretty sure a coder will appear quickly if you continue such quality. :)
#13  August 23, 2015, 04:35:49 pm
Thank you guys for all this positive feedback!! I'm thinking about moving this thread in the Sprite projects section, this character is going to get a full spritesheet.

I think it's pretty fluid and "good to go" even if every sprite is not that good.
What do you think?
This is the second version without the usual charging frames:
#14  August 23, 2015, 05:33:10 pm
  • Striving to improve!
    • USA
These are animated really nicely. I'll be definitely watching this if it becomes a full sprite project. Keep it up!
#15  August 23, 2015, 10:12:17 pm
  • Shit
I personally think that the second version is a better animation to go for. The charging frames are nice, but would fit more for a stronger looking kind of kick.

Shit
#16  August 23, 2015, 11:26:54 pm
You're right! I replaced a kick of the old piccolo with this new animation (without the charging frames) and it looks absolutely better, thank you!
Hm, the head is a little bit jumpy, i'll fix it.
#17  August 26, 2015, 06:30:15 am
  • StormEX
  • | Content Creator | Gamer | Programmer |
    • USA
    • Twitch.tv/ZayOsirisGaming
This kind of reminds me of when Balthazar first showed up. Lol

Amazing sprite work man :)
#18  August 26, 2015, 05:26:14 pm
  • I need your help...
    • Mexico
Wow! I really want this for my next chapter mi amigo

Contact me if you want a mugen stuff or if you wanna give a donation I appreciate.
: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=EMU3HTMW4MPUL
Nintendo 3DS friend code: 1307-0181-1655
Name: chuchoryu
#19  August 26, 2015, 05:29:01 pm
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
    • Skype - DJHANNIBALROYCEUSA
    • sites.google.com/site/djhrmugen/
wow. very clean....very clean
Follow me on twitter! @djhannibalroyce
#20  August 26, 2015, 05:50:57 pm
Thank you very much guys!
This new animation i just finished should obviously work as a launcher kick:

It was kinda difficult to sprite since most of the frames were done by scratch (and i'm not that skilled yet) and those goddamn saggy-pants are not easy to shade but i'm satisfied with the result.
Every part of the body seems to follow a smooth trajectory and that's what matters the most to me. What do you think?
#21  August 26, 2015, 05:54:10 pm
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
Wonderful, I love how fluid these animations are :)
#22  August 26, 2015, 10:56:46 pm

i love the juxtaposition of his retro SNES looks with fluid animations.
was there an influence from the SNES dbz games for the look?
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#23  August 26, 2015, 11:44:52 pm

The original single sprite of piccolo was made by Cappero, another spriter from the dbaf project but the final look of the character was designed by a guy named hangster abohangster.
This wonderful mystery-guy did, in my opinion, a great job with the stance and the intro animations. The sprites are very polished and he clearly used the ultimate battle 22 piccolo as a base so i can only wonder how the character could have progressed, i think he was really going for that kind of animating style.
However, i'm trying to achieve a more vivid and dynamic take on piccolo and maybe it will come out to be a pretty decent character with good animations and eventually a good gameplay.
Thank you for all these nice comments, i'll continue to keep you updated!
#24  August 26, 2015, 11:56:07 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
the proportions remind me of that gt brawler game.
#25  August 27, 2015, 06:38:24 am
  • "The Future is Now"
Heeeeeeyyyyyy.

You wouldnt be part of IMP as well would you? (Italian Mugen Project)

Also I love the sprite work, and fluidity. If I wasnt behind in school work I'd code.
#26  August 31, 2015, 10:32:32 pm
Hi everyone! I haven't done much this week, i came up with only one crouching kick:

As an animation itself i think it's lacking at least one frame when he gets back to the stance position but it flows pretty decently in game.
I hated spriting this because i had to take it directly from the extreme butoden piccolo, i couldn't decide any good """"not standard""" crouching kick so i went for the "oh c'mon no one's ever gonna crouch and kick with piccolo" mindset.
No i'm just kidding, maybe someday i'll add that frame.
Thank you for every comment!!

PS: i don't know anything about this IMP, what is it? i couldn't find anything online.
#27  September 01, 2015, 03:36:15 am
  • Game cards do not actually talk
    • New Zealand
    • Skype - lunchpolice
    • www.youtube.com/user/Quackbillion
Looking good!

By the way, since he originated from a DBAF project, does this mean he might have some new moves not found in the original series? That could give you a bit of creative freedom.
Formerly LunchPolice aka Quack
#28  September 01, 2015, 10:14:58 am
This piccolo has nothing to do with dbaf anymore. The project itself changed name and setting after a while and got at the time a new story totally different from dragonball af.
However i want to avoid making another copy of the same piccolo so i won't make some of the classical supers like this:
Maybe i'll still use the concept of a fury kick but the design itself will probably be different.
As for the hypers i was thinking about making them more physical and more violent and you can totally help me figuring them out.
Thank you!
#29  September 01, 2015, 12:45:00 pm
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
    • Skype - DJHANNIBALROYCEUSA
    • sites.google.com/site/djhrmugen/
that fury kick can be a hyper move...just make it a 99 hit combo. oh course balance out the damage accordingly.  again, ur spritework is just great! so fluid...wow.
Follow me on twitter! @djhannibalroyce
#30  September 02, 2015, 03:36:18 am
Something quick:

It's kinda stupid overall but i freaking love it! What do you think?
#31  September 02, 2015, 09:28:00 am
    • Netherlands
Nah it's fine, perfect crouching weak kick material!
#32  September 02, 2015, 09:56:54 pm
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com
This piccolo has nothing to do with dbaf anymore. The project itself changed name and setting after a while and got at the time a new story totally different from dragonball af.
However i want to avoid making another copy of the same piccolo so i won't make some of the classical supers like this:
Maybe i'll still use the concept of a fury kick but the design itself will probably be different.
As for the hypers i was thinking about making them more physical and more violent and you can totally help me figuring them out.
Thank you!

Nice kick attacks I love it.!
#33  September 02, 2015, 10:27:19 pm
#34  September 02, 2015, 11:18:28 pm
Hahaha, i thought that "so i won't make some of the classical supers like this" gave the idea of what i DON'T want to do.

Thank you Alex but i already have the spritesheet of every character of ub22, they are a necessity to me.
If anything i'm dying for a complete budokai 3 spritesheet of piccolo where we see him from his back, i'm trying to rip off some frames for a quick use but it's really a pain in the ass.
#35  September 06, 2015, 03:18:59 am
  • Learning The Ropes.
  • Back to Rise!
    • Mexico
    • fabiansolares3@gmail.com
Pretty good piccolo man, im liking the sprites
the animations are damn good as well
#36  September 06, 2015, 03:30:05 pm
This should be the last crouching kick:

I coded it into mugen but i made it a little higher for a hypothetical aerial followup and it looks pretty good.
I was thinking about making some fast paced aerial punches and kicks since i love aerial comboing (comboing?) and make only one heavy punch and one heavy kick as a potential conclusive hit, what do you think?
#37  September 06, 2015, 03:32:31 pm
  • Smart Icoca wannabe!
    • Poland
    • samouczek.com/
I'm just curious why when we have an awsome riped sprites you decide to start from scratch? You have ting going on but wouldnt it be easier to just draw addional sprites for already created ones? Wouldnt that be easier? Also i'm really looking forward for piccolo :D
#38  September 06, 2015, 04:59:17 pm
What if he wants to do his sprites his own way?
Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 05:05:26 pm by Sin-
#39  September 06, 2015, 09:51:51 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Man looking at your animations is inspiring. I'm not a huge DBZ fan, but you are doing Piccolo justice (alongside Balthazar's Z2 version), and I'm very glad. Keep up the amazing work. ^_^
This is a generic forum signature.
#40  September 07, 2015, 01:34:25 am
I'm just curious why when we have an awsome riped sprites you decide to start from scratch? You have ting going on but wouldnt it be easier to just draw addional sprites for already created ones? Wouldnt that be easier? Also i'm really looking forward for piccolo :D
those are not as well animated as his, and his retro look is very unique imo.
he also said this:
However i want to avoid making another copy of the same piccolo so i won't make some of the classical supers
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 01:37:50 am by Gennos
#41  September 08, 2015, 12:32:30 am
Thank you guys for your kind words, it's always nice to get some positive feedback!
I've started working on the basic aerial attack:

I'm not really a fan of the first one but i wanted to keep it quick and easy as a physical movement, but it will probably get some fixing.
The second one is better i guess and it came out exactly how i wanted, so YEAH that's cool.
The last basic kick will be based on the strong kick of spiderman (the two feet stomp), the only thing i'm not sure about is how to properly add the blur effect.
(This is just a better visualization of the medium kick flowing with the jumping animation)
What do you guys think?
#42  September 08, 2015, 03:03:54 am
  • Shit
The flow between the jump and the air kick feels very fitting and fluid as usual. I really dig it.

Shit
#43  September 08, 2015, 12:07:59 pm
  • “You know you can’t, I am immune to the light.”:
    • USA
Nice Piccolo Sprites, bro!!!
---Even More Perfect!!!
#44  September 10, 2015, 03:25:39 pm
Hi!
This should be the strong air kick:

At first i thought of adding an air roll to improve the motion but it would obviously slow down the action in game so i went for a standard recovery animation. However i'm planning an uber cool super with a sweet air roll, we'll figure out what to do eventually.
What do you guys think?
#45  September 17, 2015, 01:46:05 am
Hello everyone!
For the last week i couldn't do anything really but in two days i came up with the strong air punch:

The other two air punches will be short ranged, like an elbow hit or something similar.
I hope you enjoy!
#46  September 17, 2015, 02:53:02 am
    • Mexico
 Simple i going to say WOW
http://armentis.deviantart.com/ http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=133017.0
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#47  October 04, 2015, 11:12:36 pm
Hi! I'm sorry if i didn't show anything for the past weeks SO here i am with something quick.

Now that i finished the basic moves i'll move on to something funnier like supers or intros or whatever, what do you think?
#48  October 04, 2015, 11:15:44 pm
  • Shit
Damn, this is all great stuff as usual.

Shit
#49  October 09, 2015, 01:39:48 am
Now, this was fun to sprite:

I don't know what kind of move this will be yet, it could become anything.
What do you think?
#50  October 09, 2015, 10:54:28 am
    • Netherlands
Looks great! It could be a jumping forward+Strong Kick, or if you change it so it comes out of a standing pose, it could be the start-up kick of one of his Super Moves like Hellzone Grenade or a meteo smash or something ;)
#51  October 10, 2015, 12:11:06 pm

When his kick extends/goes up I can't understand the lightsource.
If he gets light from the right (in front of him):
the sole of the shoe should be lighted
there's a lit area on last part of the left pant (on our left) that shouldn't get light (unless there is a strange crease on his clothing...)
his left shoe shouldn't receive light when he throws the kick.

Apart from that, it's a very nice animation.
#52  October 10, 2015, 12:45:57 pm
I decided to keep the sole of the shoe so dark for a "stylistic" choice, even if it's not technically right.
The only thing i wasn't sure about when i did this animation was, in fact, his left leg. At first i went for the complete overshadowed look but it didn't look quite right to me. Sure is that not even my solution looks right, i'll eventually fix everything. Thank you for the feedback!
#53  October 12, 2015, 04:58:55 pm
This is probably better, i used the the darkest tone for his left leg:

However i kept the shoe as it was, i prefer it this way

This is instead the concept for an intro, the most standard intro we'll ever get:

Don't mind the crappy effect, it was a quick way to show the idea.

Now i have to ask you something. I was starting to sprite the get hit animations but i'm not sure how many of them should i make, can anyone show me a sort of list?
#54  October 12, 2015, 05:14:03 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
This is instead the concept for an intro, the most standard intro we'll ever get:

Don't mind the crappy effect, it was a quick way to show the idea.
Small suggestion!

Have him turn his head up to look at the opponent, while he is crouching, before standing. Ya know, to be more dramatic.

#55  October 12, 2015, 07:09:46 pm

I like this better, thank you very much for the tip!
#56  October 15, 2015, 11:45:21 am

Since i haven't planned any precise moveset i'm kinda doing random animations for the sake of doing so, maybe i'll sort them out someday. What do you think about this kick?
#57  October 15, 2015, 11:52:44 am
    • Netherlands
What do we think? That it looks AWESOME ofcourse  :picco:
Can't be a DBZ character without a dive kick of some sorts ;)
Will you be doing the kick flurry / kick bomb / halo stomp as well?
It's such a classic Piccolo move (at least in videogame terms).
#58  October 15, 2015, 01:03:28 pm
Holy ducklings i'm terribly sorry, I have no idea what kind of moves they are.
Is the flurry kick this one?
If yes, i won't make it. It's a very classical move for piccolo, TOO classical in my opinion.

#59  October 15, 2015, 02:11:35 pm
    • Netherlands
Oh yes that's the one I ment ;) Well it's your character, you don't HAVE to add it ofcourse ;)!
#60  October 19, 2015, 09:30:51 pm
Hi guys!
I'm trying to come up with some hypers right now. This first attempt revolves around his teleporting ability and it should work like this:
this first section is pretty clear, he teleports right behind the enemy and slash him to the ground.
For the second part i was thinking about assigning a follow up move to a specific button that takes away the right amount of energy.
After the slash attack we have our opponent down to the ground, piccolo could teleport again over him and shot him right in the face with a ki blast, or something like this: (sorry for the missing hands, it's just a raw sketch. I have also to ask you, do you think i should keep a regular shading or shade him with the light source being the blast?)
Unfortunately i couldn't sketch yet the other ideas but i was thinking about:
- piccolo stomping the enemy in the chest mitch-lucker-style
- piccolo reaching over the opponent and punch him in the face as many times as the player wants (given a limit)

As you may have noticed my idea of gameplay for a well balanced character is not very clear, any kind of help is useful.
What do you guys think?
#61  October 19, 2015, 09:35:25 pm
I have also to ask you, do you think i should keep a regular shading or shade him with the light source being the blast?
You should go with the second choice as it is more realistic and also cooler to see than the regular shading.
#62  October 19, 2015, 10:23:49 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。

After the slash attack we have our opponent down to the ground, piccolo could teleport again over him and shot him right in the face with a ki blast, or something like this: (sorry for the missing hands, it's just a raw sketch. I have also to ask you, do you think i should keep a regular shading or shade him with the light source being the blast?)
Unfortunately i couldn't sketch yet the other ideas but i was thinking about:
- piccolo stomping the enemy in the chest mitch-lucker-style
- piccolo reaching over the opponent and punch him in the face as many times as the player wants (given a limit)

As you may have noticed my idea of gameplay for a well balanced character is not very clear, any kind of help is useful.
What do you guys think?
Darkstalkers had a move calleda  pursuit attack, where you could press up and a punch or kick to trigger an animation where they went after the opponent and kicked them or whatever. if two buttons were pressed it would be an ex and a blast or something else would occur, you could use something like that.

http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Night_Warriors:_Darkstalkers'_Revenge#Pursuits
#63  October 19, 2015, 10:35:06 pm
That's exactly what i was mumbling about. Thank you very much!
#64  October 19, 2015, 10:50:29 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
one thing tha tmight be interesting is a lvl1 move where he ports to different parts of the screen ( depending on the button pressed) and shoots down a big OTG fireball. That would be fun as well.
#65  October 31, 2015, 10:52:00 pm
Hi, sorry everyone if i'm not updating this regularly but i'm having a hard time finding.. time to open paint and actually make something. Double sorry since i'm posting animation without a precise logic but whatever.
This is just a concept of a "mock" intro:
At first i decided to insert even the sprite from extreme butoden but it was too beautiful compared to mine so TAKE YOUR PERFECTION ELSEWHERE, you damn wonderful piccolo.
The progression of the evolution is not based on the year the game came out (even if this might be a bettere idea), it's mainly focused on the height of every sprite to achieve a better flow.
#66  October 31, 2015, 10:55:45 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
That's actually a pretty good idea for an intro, I like how you handled it.

And don't worry about not updating regularly, I just come into my WIP threads and sprite projects once every blue moon to show off some new stuff, so your A-OK. :thumbsup:
This is a generic forum signature.
#67  April 27, 2016, 10:59:17 am
Hi Deddy95, I'm Hangster AboHangster, the same from the DBAF forums. I was remembering those times where I did sprites for DBAF Mugen Game, so I decided to check if my sprites were still on-line, and I was pleased to see that someone followed my work, congratulations, I like what you did with piccolo. Greetings. P.S. I will check on my old files to see if I can find those sprites that I was doing and never uploaded to the DBAF forum, If I find it, I will post them here.