YesNoOk

Sound Ripping: POOR MAN's EDITION :) (Read 5515 times)

Started by #Shaun, October 04, 2007, 05:34:15 pm
Share this topic:
Sound Ripping: POOR MAN's EDITION :)
#1  October 04, 2007, 05:34:15 pm
  • corner push pusher
Because of a certain topic about ripping music from UMDs I decided to make this. I'll be going off the top of my head, since I've done this a million times.  If anyone wants to rip music/sfx from a game, but doesn't have instant internet access all the time to get the hacking utilities from zophars domain or something needed to do so....well, try this method. It works!

Materials
=======
- a game system with audio/video jacks
- a game inside it  ::)
- a y-cable (there are many types. For the inexpensive and most reliable, use this:)

- a computer with a line-in input (I assume you've caught up with the 21st century)
- a sound recording program (Sound Forge, Adobe Audition ((or as us old school sound designers describe it, Cool Edit Pro)), Wavelab, etc)

----- It's more beneficial if you have a game with a sound test ability. If not, that's fine.-----

1) Turn on your game, your TV, and your computer.  Make sure your computer's sound recording program is already loaded.  I'm using Sound Forge but it doesn't matter.  Just make sure your program can record sound from the line-in/mic. Also make sure you set whatever properties are needed for it to work (you and I don't have the same computer, so your sound card/drivers will differ)

For the music heads: Propellerhead's Reason won't work because it doesn't accept audio-in (but I'm sure you already knew that).

2) Have the video jack of your game system inside the TV, so you can see what your doing in the game. Have the audio jacks go inside the y-cable (the two open holes in the pic above).

3) Place the y-cable's metal jack inside the line-in whole (you can also use the mic part, too. Guess I shoulda pointed that out.)

4) Access the part of the game where you wanna start dumping sound.

5) On your computer (assuming your recording software is loaded) enable the option that lets you record audio from the line-in/mic. In your game do some stupid shit that makes noise, just to see that your computer is recognizing it.  If it works your volume/db bar should move up and down frantically.  This means that your computer is picking up sound from the game system.

For SFX/MUSIC with no sound test
6) Go ahead and click the OK button on your computer to start recording sound. In your game, do whatever your have to do to enabel the SFX you want. When your done, stop the recording process.  Your program should display a soundwave of what it picked up.  From there you can edit whatever you want/don't want (change the DC Offset, add effects like chorus/flanger to spruce it up if need be, etc.)

7) Your audio program your using on the computer should have an option to "Normalize." Go ahead and choose this option RIGHT BEFORE you save your sound file and quit.

Normalizing ensures that your sound's volume will try to be raised as high as it possibly can be without any audio clipping (audio clipping, aka, "in the red." If you're listening to something and your graphic equalizer bar is showing red colors, it means it's taking in sound that's too much to buffer, and will eventually kill your speakers. NO AUDIO CLIPPING!!)

8) Once you're doing editing your sound file, save it as whatever you want it to be.

For SFX/MUSIC with sound test
6) Go ahead and click the OK button on your computer to start recording sound. In your game, go to the sound test screen.  You should have the option to listen to the music and sfx separately.  Go to whatever one you want to start recording.

7) Make sure your audio program on the computer is ready to start recording. Test it by playing the SFX/Music on the game you want recorded. Your volume/DB bar on the audio program on your computer should be going up and down, indicating that you're set to record. If it does, then start recording. If not, make sure your y-cable is inside the line-in/mic jack. Also make sure your audio program is set to record from one of those sources too.

8) Follow the other steps I mentioned to edit/save your file.

I hope this helps you.  I'll post some pictures tomorrow, if not the weekend, to make this tutorial a little more helpful for those who may get lost just by reading it.

EDIT: No pictures. Don't have the time  :-X
Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 04:17:25 pm by #Shaun
Re: Sound Ripping: POOR MAN's EDITION :)
#2  October 28, 2007, 03:46:53 am
  • Vans Worshipper
  • Ø
    • www.fongo-world.com
Using emulators is good too. :)
Re: Sound Ripping: POOR MAN's EDITION :)
#3  November 15, 2007, 05:14:47 pm
  • corner push pusher