YesNoOk

Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Read 734276 times)

Started by GTOAkira, March 09, 2018, 12:23:32 am
Share this topic:
Re: Super Smash Bros for Switch
#121  May 23, 2018, 05:35:15 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#122  May 23, 2018, 05:43:18 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Oh, right, I totally forgot that was a thing.  I was thinking the Netflix Castlevania anime was the last big project for the series, and that was focused on Trevor and Alucard rather than Simon.  Well, there goes my point, then.
#123  May 23, 2018, 06:38:51 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Going to call BS just for Ridley. Unless they're making a mode where you can play as the bosses, I absolutely cannot see Ridley as a feasible playable character without destroying his character, something Smash simply does not do.
#124  May 23, 2018, 11:48:08 am
I can understand for the Ice Climbers. But for Ridley and Simon, not so much.
#125  May 23, 2018, 03:08:08 pm
Going to call BS just for Ridley. Unless they're making a mode where you can play as the bosses, I absolutely cannot see Ridley as a feasible playable character without destroying his character, something Smash simply does not do.

Samus "High heels" Aran? xD
#126  May 23, 2018, 11:53:01 pm
    • USA
As someone who hates those stupid jet heels (But loves the concept if they just stuck to the actual jet boots she actually has) the Smash 4 version of Zero Suit Samus is hardly compromising her character.  Though I would still like some official canon recognition about her paralyzer apparently turning into a lightsaber/whip, since Smash is the only place that's a thing (And Haloid, now that I think of it, which...did that come first, before Brawl?  Did Smash steal a fan concept?) the character still very much looks like and acts like Samus, if more along the lines of Other M Samus.

Ridley is simply a complicated character to design for Smash without some form of backlash.  I mean, I wouldn't even be against him being as big as he canonically is, with slow attacks but helped by boasting superarmor, if Sakurai focuses more on the "it's just for fun" design of Smash moreso than competitive viability.  Just have tournaments ban him.  But people would be upset with that approach too, because many would want another regular use character rather than a "joke".  Which is totally understandable, but as has been said numerous times, when you shrink him you get a split as to how to make it still feel like a giant space dragon who eats people whole to heal and jostles Samus around in his claws yet still fit in with the rest of the crowd.

Speaking of eating people

I'm reminded that he kinda would be the darkest character in Smash, a straight-forward mass-murdering human-eating villain, and I've wondered if that might also sway Sakurai away from putting more effort into trying to make him fit?  It is still a happy fun time party fighting game they're advertising.  Granted, Bayonetta made it in but even censored she's still an odd one out in the roster.
Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 12:00:28 am by Long John Killer
#127  May 23, 2018, 11:56:47 pm
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Fox never had a hexagon light shield until Sakurai couldn't think of anything else for Down-B, I mean.
#128  May 24, 2018, 12:58:07 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
Ridley is gonna have a gigantic hitbox making him combo fodder to the likes of Fox, Meta-Knight, and Pikachu so it makes no difference if he gets in or not.
#129  May 24, 2018, 01:23:16 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA

Ridley is simply a complicated character to design for Smash without some form of backlash.  I mean, I wouldn't even be against him being as big as he canonically is, with slow attacks but helped by boasting superarmor, if Sakurai focuses more on the "it's just for fun" design of Smash moreso than competitive viability.  Just have tournaments ban him.  But people would be upset with that approach too, because many would want another regular use character rather than a "joke".  Which is totally understandable, but as has been said numerous times, when you shrink him you get a split as to how to make it still feel like a giant space dragon who eats people whole to heal and jostles Samus around in his claws yet still fit in with the rest of the crowd.

If Smash was at all concerned about maintaining canon with the original series, we wouldn't have more than half of the characters we do now.  Capt. Falcon never leaves his race car, Ness can't use most of the PK attacks he has in Smash, Wii Fit Trainer/Villager/Mr. Game & Watch never even had anything that could be referred to as an attack.  Most of the movesets for most of the characters are entirely original for Smash.

I think Ridley could be made to work easily.  Make him 1/2 to 3/4 the size he was as a boss in Smash 4 so he's still big, but not too much bigger than everyone else.  Make him a heavyweight powerhouse like Bowser, with strong aerials and a shitty ground game.  Bam.

I'm reminded that he kinda would be the darkest character in Smash, a straight-forward mass-murdering human-eating villain, and I've wondered if that might also sway Sakurai away from putting more effort into trying to make him fit?  It is still a happy fun time party fighting game they're advertising.

You wanna talk dark characters?  Lucas' backstory makes Ridley look like a kitten.
#130  May 24, 2018, 01:33:33 am
    • USA
Now, I never played Mother 3 because I'm not that good at Japanese and I've never arsed to try the fan translation because there's always a new rumor about how it's coming out soon for the Wii/Wii U/Switch, but from my understanding...

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#131  May 24, 2018, 02:17:04 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Spoiler: Mother 3 spoilers (click to see content)

Canon stories don't matter all that much in Smash, but even if they did Ridley killing people wouldn't change much.  Ganondorf is implied to have killed loads of people.  All of the Fire Emblem characters explicitly kill people in their games too.  Fox and Falco have killed dozens of enemy pilots, Wolf probably even more.  Bayonetta's entire franchise is about murdering angels in order to fulfill a deal with Satan.  If Sakurai can work around all that, Ridley's fine.
#132  May 24, 2018, 03:04:14 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
I just wanna pop in and say that Snake was in Brawl.  The entire Metal Gear series is based around themes of war, government surveilance, the devaluing of human life, military states, global conspiracies, nuclear weapons, torture, unethical government practices and various other degrees of global and sociopolitical conflict.  And that's all played completely straight when Kojima isn't breaking the fourth wall and making poop jokes at the expense of his characters.  Hell, Brawl came out right before (and explicitly promoted) arguably the darkest game in the series at the time, where Snake fights against brainwashed female soldiers in creepily sexual gimp suits (at least one of which is a rape victim) and drags himself through a microwave hallway that graphically burns his skin.  There's a lot you could use against Ridley, but I don't think him being a "dark" character is at all substantial.
#133  May 25, 2018, 12:32:29 pm
Kirby is way worse, swallows and eats anything in it's path and has no remorse for doing so.
Think of the Waddledees.....
#134  May 25, 2018, 01:33:39 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
Are people still talking about Ridley for Smash?

Didn't we all had this conversation years ago?
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#135  May 25, 2018, 02:01:03 pm
  • I am become Death, Destroyer of Tiers
    • UK
We did.
And we'll continue to have this conversation every time a new Smash game is announced as people know that bringing up Ridley is easy hype money.

Surprised King K.Rool hasn't been brought up yet tbh.
#136  May 25, 2018, 02:04:05 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
King K. Rool shows up time to time, but the meme is all about the Ridley.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#137  May 25, 2018, 02:54:34 pm
  • Lovely Day
    • USA
    • alexpower333@gmail.com
May I remind you people of a fan game called Super smash bros Crusade? Ridley is in it.
#138  May 25, 2018, 10:14:30 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Fan made Smash games tend to add whatever the eff they want with not much thought including anime characters if they really want to.
#139  May 25, 2018, 11:10:50 pm
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
Could be legit. Sakurai does like Ridley a lot, trying to be faithful to his incarnations in each installment.
He has had issues with him being playable in the past, but as with Villager, Mii's and Pac-Man, Sakurai could have taken his time to finally make Ridley fit. Remember how surprised Sakurai was when he was told that he was not only going to direct Smash 4, but for two consoles, which is stated was quite a surprise. Now, he knew more of the project himself, and might have used more time to figure out how to improve. Remember how single player was lackluster in Smash 4, and the disaster that was Smash Tour? All result in a rushed project, but trying to make it work.

Because of all of this, Smash for Switch will most likely be more focused work. So, Ridley being in the roster sounds quite legit to me. I'm sure that, "IF" Ridley will join the roster, then E3 is the BEST time to announce it, as Nintendo will win E3 by default, and the internet will blow up.

Belmont is not much of a stretch, really. Snake and the whole Konami vs Kojima makes sense that Belmont would make it. Remember that Sakurai stated that Castlevania and The Legend of Zelda II were the two games that changed his view of video games. So, if Sakurai likes Castlevania, why would Simon be much of a stretch?

Also, the only reason Ice Climbers didn't make the cut was because of hardware limitations. They are Smash characters, legacy, cult classic, and fans love them. Of course they are coming back, easy call.

So, do I believe this? I'm neutral. Do I think it's possible? Yes, very much so. Just a couple weeks left, and if Rids finally becomes part of the game, may King K. Rool & Waluigi also get their time to shine too. Just because, why not? Give me more reasons to actually purchase a Switch.
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
The Street Fighter 2014-2021.
Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 11:13:56 pm by The Street Fighter
#140  May 25, 2018, 11:37:14 pm
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Waluigi is nothing more than a meme choice, that's the thing. Even Goku has more solidity than him, due to his history and anime icon status. Waluigi doesn't have any oomph, any character, any real anything in any Mario game backing him like... Even Rosalina? Rosalina at least had a story. All Waluigi has is a random Mario Kart stage. If Sakurai were smart, he'd make a Waluigi Pinball stage to cash in on the meme.

Ice Climbers are a legacy in what? Smash? Certainly not their original and only game. Balloon Fight is the cult classic, and we already got a trash stage off of it.

Sakurai can like Castlevania as much as he wants, it means nothing if Konami won't reply or deny.

Cloud and Bayonetta wrecked the meta enough. Ridley would be the giant baby that would destroy the womb that is Smash, I guess.