YesNoOk

Scientists teorise that Higgs boson might be too abhorrent for nature to handle. (Read 3432 times)

Started by Bea, October 20, 2009, 07:02:26 pm
Share this topic:

Bea

Scientists teorise that Higgs boson might be too abhorrent for nature to handle.
#1  October 20, 2009, 07:02:26 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.

DM

Re: Scientists teorise that Higgs boson might be too abhorrent for nature to handle.
#2  October 20, 2009, 07:04:52 pm
    • Brazil
    • www.rickiecreations.paodemugen.com.br
Oh noes, the drama about LHC will start again.

Though,

A pair of otherwise distinguished physicists have suggested that the hypothesized Higgs boson, which physicists hope to produce with the collider, might be so abhorrent to nature that its creation would ripple backward through time and stop the collider before it could make one, like a time traveler who goes back in time to kill his grandfather.

Sounds awesome and perturbed at the same time.
Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 07:08:29 pm by DM
Re: Scientists teorise that Higgs boson might be too abhorrent for nature to handle.
#3  October 20, 2009, 07:09:12 pm
Are you sure these are scientists, and not Sci-fi geeks.
#4  October 20, 2009, 07:43:24 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
Are you sure these are scientists, and not Sci-fi geeks.

What's the difference? One thing tends to lead to another.

"so abhorrent to nature that its creation would ripple backward through time and stop the collider before it could make one, like a time traveler who goes back in time to kill his grandfather"

That sounds like it could shake things up - I forsee interesting XKCD strips like this one whether this leads to reality-breakage or not. It win-win if they're not using my money.
Re: Scientists teorise that Higgs boson might be too abhorrent for nature to han
#5  October 20, 2009, 07:49:40 pm
  • I'm already Tracer
    • Canada
hopefully this will happen before the movie 2012 comes out.

the irony would be to die for ;D
#6  October 20, 2009, 08:06:45 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
:gonk: @ these scientists !
Re: Scientists teorise that Higgs boson might be too abhorrent for nature to han
#7  October 20, 2009, 10:30:51 pm
  • +1 to whoever added Godzilla to the main index.
Does observing the particle ripple back through time change what happens simply by observing it?
i think we should call it an "engine" so we don't look like total idiots because otherwise we'd be arguing about a "game" and that would be somehow "dumber" than arguing about an "engine" on the "internet" for countless hours

Iced said:
I for one, do not enjoy round corners!  :bigcry:
But they hurt much less when we accidentally hit them!  :S
#8  October 20, 2009, 10:47:15 pm
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ

OZ

#9  October 20, 2009, 10:49:58 pm
  • ಠ_ಠ
Random number generator?...
ಠ_ಠ
#10  October 20, 2009, 11:42:34 pm
  • Three times thicker font than a normal user.
Imagine if I could travel through time with that... I could become a real like Mobius the time Streamer. Unfortunately I don't have an elder god/squid thing/Tony Jay to back me up.
Imagine a zanguief runing to attack ryu, ryu does a quick+kind of weak fast punch and hit the chest of zanguief, will this punch be enough to zanguief say/think \"oh no, this punch hurted a little, I better stop the attack and put my hand on my chest to help contain the pain while ignoring if ryu is going to make other attacks now"

Cenobite 53 said:
If someone isn't able to get girls laid, why buying this exorcist needing piece of retardet piece of bullshit an not wisiting his local red light district. For that money he could  :hump: tons of hookers.
#11  October 20, 2009, 11:53:40 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
You gotta hand it to these guys, though.   As far as excuses for failure go, "the future did it" is pretty goddamn original.
#12  October 20, 2009, 11:57:31 pm
    • Argentina
    • http://furiadivina.mygamesonline.org
A pair of otherwise distinguished physicists have suggested that the hypothesized Higgs boson, which physicists hope to produce with the collider, might be so abhorrent to nature that its creation would ripple backward through time and stop the collider before it could make one, like a time traveler who goes back in time to kill his grandfather.

that makes no sense
#13  October 21, 2009, 12:15:12 am
  • I'm already Tracer
    • Canada
which part, the otherwise distinguished physicists, or the other thing?

basically, what i understand, is that a higgs boson, would be so dense, so heavy, that our universe would be unable to handle it.

most physicists believe that this will cause it to self destruct and disappear from our universe almost instantaneously, i think stephen hawking is among those that believe this, the two above in dweebenheimers quote are like this group.

meanwhile, others think it will be so dense that it's gravitational pull will suck everything it can into a vortex type of thing, not the entire universe, but just enough to wipe us all out.
#14  October 21, 2009, 12:40:05 am
    • Argentina
    • http://furiadivina.mygamesonline.org
the time paradox part  :P

those 2 options on your post are way more plausible
#15  October 21, 2009, 12:42:50 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
They are pointing out the paradoxes since things really arent making any sense.

Like the project being cancelled suddenly after the whole thing is built, then someone goes like "wait why are we cancelling it" and no one is really able to answer.
#16  October 21, 2009, 12:45:37 am
  • I'm already Tracer
    • Canada
i thought it was because something broke when they turned it on the first time, and they had to shut it down for months, why the HELL would they leave the doomsday device off?!!!

OZ

#17  October 21, 2009, 12:51:35 am
  • ಠ_ಠ
He was refering to the incident in 93'.
ಠ_ಠ
#18  October 21, 2009, 12:53:32 am
  • WIP: Tons and tons of IKEMEN stages
#19  October 21, 2009, 12:56:23 am
  • from a bayou somewhere in Louisiana...
    • USA
i lean toward B.S. my self.
"i should be creating this particle; that hasn't existed before, with these directions, but when i hit the switch nothing happens......maybe it un-creates itself when i create it?  now gimme some money to keep my experiments going!"
#20  October 21, 2009, 12:58:24 am
  • from a bayou somewhere in Louisiana...
    • USA
if i throw a ball backwards in time it no longer becomes observable by us we travel forward. it is all relative.