YesNoOk

How to properly implement height? (Read 2338 times)

Started by PineappleProducer, March 01, 2017, 04:38:22 am
Share this topic:
How to properly implement height?
#1  March 01, 2017, 04:38:22 am
  • My username has a history to it.
    • USA
    • pineappleproducer.webs.com/
Something I always seemed to overlook on my MUGEN characters was their height. As of this writing I'm wanting to update my characters to have a proper height. But I have come across something I wasn't quite sure how to go about.

One character in particular, Mecha-Barney, is quite the tall fellow.

He previously had his height set to 60, which isn't close to the top of his head. I remedied this by changing his height to 160, which is at the top of his head when he is in his idle animation. However, this presented a new problem, in that, without multiple jumps at their disposal, a lot of opponents have no way of jumping over him. Which leads me to this question. Should I stay with this new setting, or should I knock it down a little, and if so, by how much? I just wanted a general consensus so I could avoid making a problem that wasn't there in the first place. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!   
*I have an uncle who can't grasp why Donkey Kong isn't on PlayStation 3.
*EMBRACE YOUR INNER WEEABOO!!! :D
*Proud owner of Godzilla on PS4.

Re: How to properly implement height?
#2  March 01, 2017, 05:01:41 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
Knock it down.
#3  March 01, 2017, 07:21:57 am
  • A frame here, a pixel there.
Typically characters' pushboxes don't go all the way to the top of their head. Sometimes it only goes up to their shoulders. For Mecha Barney here, I'd say anything higher than his mouth in the idle stance would probably be too much.
#4  March 01, 2017, 09:41:45 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Dont listen to me, because I literally think opposite to everyone on the forum.

But I imagine this is a type of boss character? Making him a wall would add to that overwhelming feeling of Boss!
If he can't be thrown, having the head pos off wont make that big of a deal. There are a few moves that will focus on P2's head. Felicia's head ride for example. Those moves will be off. Other moves that use head pos for math will be off. My Samus' homing missile is an example. It wont miss your player, but the math it does will be skewed. There's other tiny stuff why you want the head pos to be as close as possible. A lot of little examples add up though.

with the clsn boxes not covering his head, something like Ryu's ultra fireball wont connect. Regular fireballs too.

To me, this type of character is what makes mugen awesome. You have to have your character BE ITSELF. It's freaking Mecha-Barney lol. He should be crazy! I'd love to see him just be a WALL OF DEATH that just laughs like a mechanized Barney. (I could probably make those sounds for you)
I say make his attributes as close to what they should be as possible. Different characters have strengths and weaknesses. One of Mecha-Barney's strengths is his gigantic size. It also makes him a HUGE target. Why get rid of a strength and double down on a weakness?

This is your character? Do what you feel works best for the character. Play-test it. If you think it's too much of an advantage to him, knock it down. If he keeps getting P2 jumping past him and taking advantage, make it harder for P2 to do that. If you feel like characters like Ryu are just spamming fireballs to his face, maybe get rid of those clsn boxes.

But I say make him a BOSS!! Just remember to do the opposite of what I say and more people will like it. :P

PS, a lot of Sagat characters have this same problem, with the same solution mentioned above.
But they're not bosses!!

vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#5  March 01, 2017, 06:56:55 pm
  • My username has a history to it.
    • USA
    • pineappleproducer.webs.com/
Thanks for the responses, guys. I think I'll just meet in the middle and set his height to about where his shoulders are.

@Odb718 if you wanna make those sounds, go for it. Haha.
*I have an uncle who can't grasp why Donkey Kong isn't on PlayStation 3.
*EMBRACE YOUR INNER WEEABOO!!! :D
*Proud owner of Godzilla on PS4.