YesNoOk

GBA Sound ripping (Read 16837 times)

Started by FusionAX, June 11, 2005, 12:35:58 am
Share this topic:

FusionAX

GBA Sound ripping
New #1  June 11, 2005, 12:35:58 am
First off, I didn't think this would really fit in MUGEN Tips & Tutorials... I thought this might be helpful for MUGEN Discussion, though...

There are two ways you can do this:  1. Using a sound test mode possibly provided by the game you want to rip from, or 2. by my method which I will describe below.

First: The tools you will need:

Audacity and Sound Forge (If the sounds you get aren't the right pitch, which most of the time they won't be.)

And now, the actual ripping:

1. You need to have any various GBA game (Game Boy games won't work in this case) on your computer.  An emulator isn't required for this ripping procedure, but may be neccessary to determine the proper pitch of the sounds.

2. You need to have Audacity installed, which isn't very hard to find.  Just Google it, is what I'll say.  Anyhow, when it's installed, open it.

For this example I'll be using Dragonball Z: Supersonic Warriors, so your mileage will vary when it comes to different games.

Now, Step 1:

Bring the 'Project' menu tab down, and click on 'Import Raw Data...'  And find the location of the GBA game you want to rip sounds from.  Double click on it, and you will be brought to the 'Import Raw Data' box.

In the upper left corner will be 3 boxes.  The top-most one will most likely say '16-Bit Signed.'  Change this to '8-Bit Signed.'  It makes pitch changing a lot easier.
Second, in the 'endianness' box, set it to 'No endianness.'  There should also be a channels box, if it says '(2) Stereo' click on it and change it to '(1) Mono.'  Now, finally, the Sample Rate.  Change that to 8000 Hz.  That is the typical quality of a sound in a GBA game.  Now click 'Import.'

You should have one long waveform. Zoom in a bit and you'll eventually see differing waveforms that look like audio wave forms.  Highlight a section, and press play.  If you did it right, you should hear sounds from the game itself.  The pitch most likely is not perfect, but sound editing programs can fix that easily.  Or you can experiment with the bit rates.

UPDATE: Audacity has a tendancy to give you 5-20 seconds of extra audio depending on how long the sound is.  This was helpful for my DBZ: Supersonic Warriors pack because I could just crop the end of the sound and bam have a complete set.    Also, MOST GBA sounds have pops & clicks before the start and end of each sound, probably some sort of sound index.   For some games you'll need to change the Endian to get the desired effect clean.

ALSO, MORE UPDATE: There is no such thing as a Virtual Boy emulator called "VirtualBoy" it's VisualBoyAdvance.
Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 05:39:22 am by Fusion
Re: GBA Sound ripping
#2  June 11, 2005, 03:53:13 pm
Alternative to Audacity: GoldWave; and any sound editor that let you choose the settings of the files you're importing.
Re: GBA Sound ripping
New #3  July 29, 2005, 09:18:02 pm
im sorry >> not sure if against rules but ill state this
easist way to rip GBA music and sounds:
simple Download VirtualBoy EMULATOR. and some games you want (if you already have them of course). then play the game and kill out Music channel or SFX channel and then hit the sound record on the EMU and it will save as a .WAV and you can edit with some sort of program. Simple as that.

Edited your post to "fit" the rules.
Cybaster

Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 11:49:31 am by Cybaster