YesNoOk

Mugen characters that didn't age well (Read 58065 times)

Started by jenngra505, October 23, 2017, 10:53:59 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Mugen characters that didn't age well
#61  January 27, 2018, 09:13:38 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 Pingu's "Super Scary Attack" is still pretty damn broken given it's an unblockable OHKO that is unreasonably difficult to evade tbh... hardly a means of balance if it overcompensates.
#62  January 27, 2018, 09:45:44 am
  • Frozen in Time
  • The siege continues...
    • USA
    • www.eternal-anomaly.com
I probably should have stated that I was speaking in general terms (and not defending Pingu and its host of issues), but nevertheless, you are correct.
Latest Release: Here / Current Projects: The Penguin & Stage Rectifications (2nd Set)
#63  March 02, 2018, 11:29:19 am
  • Cute Bounty Hunter
Super Mario and Luigi could use an update to be honest. The sprites are still great (albeit maybe need a bit of modernizing as far as the shading goes.) But, there's a potentially good Mario character in there. It's like a rock that's only been partually polished.... It might not be the best it could be. But with a bit more polish, it could truly shine.

I made a balance patch for Mario (and Metool) years ago but if we're still talking about how unfortunately broken he is, then it seems that the balance patch never caught on.  Oh well, I guess that was to be expected because balanced matches don't exactly make for the most entertaining spectacle.  I imagine that at Saltybet, the matches with the most views aren't the ones with boring people like Reika Murasame and Lucy Fernandez; no, the ones that bring in the big numbers are matches where Super Duper Hyper Ultra Shin Evil Unholy Shit Ronald McDonald Alpha Beta Gamma Omega Plus Over 9000 fights Yet Another Goddamn Kula Clone But She Has All The Powers Of Heaven And Hell And The Cosmos Or Something and they spam screen-filling and seizure-inducing attacks over and over until one finally instant kills the other by hitting their single-pixel clsn2 that only shows up for a single frame due to a programming oversight.

I Think Yu-Toharu version of Hatsune Miku can fit there. Yeah, the creator put a lot of fun stuff and the sprites are great, but the character takes an excessive time to load herself (sometimes to the point where the engine can freeze itself even in modern versions) and the Ai is pretty brutal and op, I can't even lay a hit on Miku most of the time when facing her with another character.

And just when you thought Haruhi couldn't get any worse, Yu-Toharu has apparently taken up Choiyer's mantle and then proceeded to stuff Haruhi full of moves and references and content and so much stuff that she seems to have become Miku 2.0.  And she still has all the fetish stuff.  I enjoy panty shots but only those, the rest I don't want any part of.

That said, Scout voicepack for Yu-Toharu's Haruhi when?
#64  March 02, 2018, 02:08:15 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
I'm not sure why you felt the need to give him a Power Charge when gaining Power wasn't exactly something he struggled with. Regardless, I've been using the patch since forever and I thank you greatly for it.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#65  March 02, 2018, 02:57:22 pm
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Speaking of, going by SaltyBet viewers, I've never been... The true view kings (queens) are "really cheap little girls".

Lots of Super Mario edits use your edit as a base as well, but his slide can be high blocked...?
#66  March 02, 2018, 03:27:02 pm
  • Cute Bounty Hunter
Oh, that's good to hear then.

He has a slide?  It might be from one or more of those edits, because I don't remember the original Mario having any slide moves nor did I give him one.

As for the power charge, it was just a matter of "he has an unused animation so might as well use it".  I guess it's not really that useful, but it's there in case you want to I suppose win via time out by using the invincibility super, charging during it, and then using it again when it ends and when it's safe.
#67  March 02, 2018, 03:58:27 pm
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
If you dash and use Strong Kick, he'll do a slide kick that trips. But it can't hit OTG like his basics, can be blocked high, and is unsafe. It kinda sucks in every single Super Mario edit I've used. Ever.

Uh... Another character that aged bad... K-Y Shanix's Bowser? Anyone said him yet? EDIT: Yep, mentioned him already... GCNMario's Ryu that was a hybrid of his various incarnations and had a Ken and Sean assist? He's still pretty good, but so many faster and more polished Ryus have came out since him. He never did give Sean more than one assist special either....
Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 04:01:54 pm by MR. IBZS II
#68  March 02, 2018, 04:00:43 pm
  • Working on MUGEN characters, 24/7.
    • Australia
My version of Akira Yuki. I really need to go back and remake him one of these days, lol.
#69  March 02, 2018, 06:25:08 pm
  • mirror, mirror...
    • www.poland.pl/
some of those were or can be ..comedy gold..
-I hate haters and S.o.S chars.....
-time to migrate from winmugen...
#70  March 02, 2018, 07:44:19 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
I would love to see creators that are still around try to fix their old stuff just to see how far they came when it comes to making stuff. In terms of the patch for Mario, I still use it on my Mario and I really would love to see an update for fine tuning. All in all,  a lot of creators don't think of longevity in their creations, and this thread shows a lot of stuff.
#71  March 02, 2018, 10:34:53 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
Often there's little point in trying to fix one's older characters when the issues run too deep and thus it'd be easier to just remake it from the ground up.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#72  March 05, 2018, 08:59:38 am
  • Idea!
    • USA
Hmm, I'd have to say Ash (chainsaw hand, not the Pokemon wanna be master).  Certainly was a different character at the time and had a lot of cool attacks and whatnot, but boy . . . he hasn't aged well.  Also, digging through his sprites, he has tons of discolored and misaligned sprites, strange coding for his attacks (seriously, two different specials for QCF plus light punch and hard punch?), and various other issues, like one super couldn't be achieved because it was coded incorrectly.

If Ash were to be fixed, he'd need a complete overhaul (sprites, coding, newer moves, etc.), and possibly original voice acting to make him more lasting of a character.  He pretty much needs to be completely remade.  Still was a fun character and still kind of is.
#73  March 05, 2018, 06:01:34 pm
  • Secrets are just answers to the wrong questions...
  • www.newagemugen.com
    • Greece
    • sakchak322@hotmail.com
    • www.newagemugen.com
Every version of MKVSF Shin Lvl2 Akuma ever made excluding Syns one.
That was a character I really wish got done right back when it was relevant.
#74  March 05, 2018, 07:43:21 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
I really agree with Rarity, I loved Ash when he came out but by today's standards... Hoo boy he's a mess. If I had the money, I'd commission some new SNK styled sprites to start things off. I would even like some of the SNK guys to do coding to make him truly fit in the style. Alas, it's just more wishful thinking and hoping.
#75  March 06, 2018, 12:35:59 am
  • Cute Bounty Hunter
Often there's little point in trying to fix one's older characters when the issues run too deep and thus it'd be easier to just remake it from the ground up.

This.  I'm not touching my version of B.B.Hood ever again (except for resource acquisition, but most certainly not for playing), and I'd very much prefer it if she was left buried in the past decade.  The thought of remaking her (or editing someone else's take on her) has crossed my mind, but I've long since decided that I will not work on B.B.Hood until she gets English voices which Capcom has yet to give her even now.
#76  March 06, 2018, 01:15:50 am
Warusaki3's CVS stuff came to my mind, with the integrated groove select, score system, announcer voice and such.
His work was really popular back then and well, they were mostly solid, weren't they?
As time passed by I started to swap out his characters with other ones and never turned back.

I am not sure to say this, so would anyone disagree if I say his work didn't age well?
New #77  March 11, 2018, 10:40:46 pm
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Anyone mention AIDUZZI's Ella yet?

She has like 4 counters, and if she's not using counters or hypers with ridiculous prioty, then you can't hit her during a very good chunk of her attacks. And it's not like she has a low damage output either. I would not like to see what his other two OCs are capable of. Maybe Ella was just the first of his stuff though and he only got better from there...

Also, the Doomguy 2 PPG for sure. Shame the other two never were as finalized/had as much true, honest effort in being so ridiculous as Blossom, but I don't think I need to even begin on how badly they aged.
Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 03:16:12 pm by MR. IBZS II