YesNoOk

Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Read 734898 times)

Started by GTOAkira, March 09, 2018, 12:23:32 am
Share this topic:
Re: Super Smash Bros Ultimate
#321  June 21, 2018, 03:30:14 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
I think fans place a lot more importance on him than Nintendo themselves do.
That's a given at this point.

I'm not really committed one way or another with Waluigi.  I would like it if they just got to finish the pairing off, since Wario got it, regardless of how valuable Waluigi is or is not to the series.  At the same time...yeah, he's a blank purple and black slate pretty much.  Unless we get a surprise out of Mario Tennis Aces and it's actually his game that the story's about.  Which would be neat, and actually give some foundation to include him in Smash, if rather flimsy if the game's not even named after him.

I just checked out the Smash music preview site, and boy that Brinstar Depth cover....has well tuned instruments.  I dunno, it doesn't feel like the right direction to go covering it, it's just not doing anything for me.
#322  June 21, 2018, 04:08:08 am
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
I think fans place a lot more importance on him than Nintendo themselves do.
That's a given at this point.

I'm not really committed one way or another with Waluigi.  I would like it if they just got to finish the pairing off, since Wario got it, regardless of how valuable Waluigi is or is not to the series.  At the same time...yeah, he's a blank purple and black slate pretty much.  Unless we get a surprise out of Mario Tennis Aces and it's actually his game that the story's about.  Which would be neat, and actually give some foundation to include him in Smash, if rather flimsy if the game's not even named after him.

I just checked out the Smash music preview site, and boy that Brinstar Depth cover....has well tuned instruments.  I dunno, it doesn't feel like the right direction to go covering it, it's just not doing anything for me.

the original brinstar depths track from melee always give me goosebumps whenever i hear that track

the new version doesn't and it's way more awesome to listen to than the original
#323  June 21, 2018, 12:29:39 pm
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns
#324  June 22, 2018, 03:26:56 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Nothing particularly special in today's blog update.  Just a quick highlight of Link.  There is one bit about how they've tweaked his neutral b;  Arrows that fail to hit an enemy can be picked up, like in BotW.

With all these changes they're making to base Link, and since his two clones have different movesets, I'm kinda wondering if they'd make an echo fighter with his original toolkit for the players who mained him before.  Maybe Linkle?
#325  June 22, 2018, 03:35:28 am
    • USA
Linkle didn't get a sword, did she?  Maybe I'm remembering Hyrule Warriors wrong, been a while since I booted up my Wii U, but she had crossbows and, uh, shoes.

I suggested a while ago when the original teaser trailer dropped, but I think it would be neat if they keep Breath of the Wild's version named Link, since he actually is referred to as such in-canon, and a replacement for the previous playstyle be the OoT version called Hero of Time.  Except back then, we had no idea about Young Link being in, who IS the Hero of Time, so....Twilight Princess Hero of Twilight version, then?  Got the model from Smash 4 already.
#326  June 22, 2018, 03:52:40 am
    • USA
She didn't, but Sakurai's made weirder clones work.  The important thing is that it wouldn't look out of place for Linkle to be using Link's moves, even if she never used them before Smash.

Before someone else calls it out, I should probably clarify that I don't necessarily want a 4th Link variation;  I'm just spitballing a hypothetical.
#327  June 22, 2018, 02:14:42 pm
  • Game cards do not actually talk
    • New Zealand
    • Skype - lunchpolice
    • www.youtube.com/user/Quackbillion
Formerly LunchPolice aka Quack
#328  June 23, 2018, 01:25:25 am
    • USA
...It was?  You would be the first to my recollection that had any dispute with it.
#329  June 23, 2018, 02:07:31 am
    • USA
    • morbidjoe666@yahoo.com
    • Skype - Kik : morbidjoe
Wondering if there going to add geno or just use a mii fighter version again, and maybe bubsy just to piss a few people off jk, maybe they'll add another fire emblem character they always usually do add one to the roster in each smash
I need more PSN friends
Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 02:10:39 am by morbidjoe
#330  June 23, 2018, 04:29:35 am
    • USA
They actually have more of a habit of adding more than a single individual Fire Emblem character, only adding one when it came to Brawl and Ike.  I would imagine it that they spent their chance for this game too early however with Corrin, especially as Sakurai mentioned how he proposed this new Smash in the middle of the DLC last game, so the work cycle to them already had a new fighter to them.  As for if that was the best move in the long run, since I'm not a fan of the series to begin with but I heard dwindling returns from the series after the Ike game revived it and Corrin's game was mediocre....well, it's already said and done, Corrin's done and in.  But I don't take much stock in a brand new Fire Emblem character in this game's base roster.  DLC however is another deal, at which point I'm sure there will be talks about the Switch Fire Emblem character(s) showing up.

Geno probably has his highest probability chance of showing up now than before, since we know Nintendo kept their ties to Square with Cloud showing up, people still requesting the guy rather highly with Sakurai desiring the character as well, and with the likes of Ridley getting in and their willingness to put in the effort to make such an unusual request fulfilled.  Yeah, different scenarios between the two character, just saying I would not be surprised if Geno's among the few newcomers still to be shown this game.
Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 04:56:59 am by Long John Killer
#331  June 23, 2018, 02:34:06 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org

Neat little fanmade thing.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#332  June 23, 2018, 03:53:34 pm
    • USA
Weren't the Chorus Kids originally planed for Sm4sh?  They were in one of the old leaks along with Shulk and Palutena.  Since this one's being built on the bones of the Wii U version, maybe Sakurai will finish them up.

Man, I'd kill for there even to be just a Rhythm Heaven stage, just for all of the incredible music they'd get to put in.
#333  June 25, 2018, 02:07:28 pm
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
I'd kill even more for at least a Panel de Pon stage. Also, DasVergeben's leak better be real, because I want Simon Belmont to complete the Captain N assemble.
Also, I'd love Rex & Pyra from Xenoblade 2 or Spring Man from ARMS or Tapu Koko from Pokémon Sun/Moon.
And please, at least bring back Isaac from Golden Sun as an assist trophy.
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns
#334  June 25, 2018, 02:50:31 pm
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
Yeah, ANYTHING Panel De Pon would be amazing! Lip is my second most wanted character.

Also, here is a video with her on second place. I think this guy got some good views.

Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
The Street Fighter 2014-2021.
#335  June 26, 2018, 06:10:56 am
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
I have a question that might be controversial:

Does anyone think that Super Smash Bros Ultimate is getting to the point of having too many characters (as absurd the idea is)? I meant, I have been told that this game will have the highest amount of characters in its roaster of any fighting game barring some MUGEN collections. This sounds nice, but who would have time to play all of them? I fear that, to many people, having a bigger roaster just means having a bigger pool of punching bags to choose from while they main a half dozen characters at most. There's also a balance issue that will arise with a roaster this big. Balance is not as big of a concern with MUGEN, but it will be relevant for Smash, especially with its meta scene being highly competitive. I estimate that there will be many balance changes over the life-span of the game...
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#336  June 26, 2018, 06:23:06 am
    • Mexico
I don’t really a see it as a problem. Balancing will always be an issue, but I don’t think having this many characters is overwhelming. Besides, it’s not like Sakurai is just going throw all of these characters on people’s faces, you pretty much have to unlock 75% of the roster.
#337  June 26, 2018, 06:29:08 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
...Why spoil the whole roster if we still have to unlock them?

Also, since when is having a tong of punching bags a bad thing? I stock my Mugen like that as well.
#338  June 26, 2018, 06:31:50 am
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada
This concern had been voiced previously by others during the Smash 4 era.

On the idea that players likely won't be playing every character, I'd say that's completely fine.  There will be characters with playstyles that turn some players off from them while there be a set of other characters with playstyles that "speak to them" (and may even exclusively play only them).  This is present in other fighting games to, especially in ones where learning a new character is much more difficult.  A player won't always play every character, but more characters means they get to experience a lot more different match-ups.

Balance is definitely an important factor though.  More characters with different kits means more match ups that need to be considered and balanced.  But I think this issue will always be present in fighting games.  I think as long as the dev team keeps on top of tournament results, they make balance changes throughout Smash 5's lifetime.  (I specifically say tournament results, and not all balance feedback in general because I genuinely don't want them to be listening to "balance" feedback from the general public.  They sorta did that for Smash 4, and we all know how that turned out for characters like Little Mac.)

On a side note, I'd love it if Lip gets in as a playable character.  I've been starved for a new Puzzle League/Panel de Pon game and I'm convinced that Lip getting into Smash would be the only way it could happen... But I've long accepted that she's not getting in.  If Takamaru was rejected for being to obscure to the West, there's no way Lip could pass that test.  That's why I've pretty much stopped caring what newcomers get in... or even how many.
#339  June 26, 2018, 06:34:59 am
    • USA
Not at all.  You mistake the size of the roster to proclaim that you, as per some requirement, are to play them all.  I think it's fine Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem fans got something last game to talk about, but beyond Marth and Roy initially, I haven't touched any of them at all.  I mean, of the current 68 character roster, 18 of them I simply have no desire to play nor do I plan to.  You are allowed to simply just do you.  More additions however allow greater variety and more fresh faces to attract other fandoms in.

Worrying about balance is why they have a team there specifically there to worry about it.  They get fan feedback consistently as we saw with Smash 4, and are able to send out patches easily with everything just being online now to tweak things around.  This isn't a small team of amateurs working on this after all.  And expecting patches is not a bad thing.  Arguably, it's a good thing for the company and fans, giving them more to work on and keeping them in work, while altering the game so it's just right for the players.

In short, chill.  Anything clearly broken will be dealt with, otherwise they know what they're doing.

#340  June 26, 2018, 06:40:04 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Lucky, you only have 18 you don't want, and I got no one to use in this game.

They killed Mario off, and gave him the Wedding costume, and he still has FLUDD and his Brawl voice. Kirby looks greatly buffed. Perhaps there's that, but he dies too fast...

Also "they know what they're doing"? Uh, Cloud, Bayonetta, Pac-Man, and Falco.