YesNoOk

Add an extra picture in character select? (Read 1817 times)

Started by Punkxy, January 19, 2020, 01:55:10 am
Share this topic:
Add an extra picture in character select?
#1  January 19, 2020, 01:55:10 am
Hello, I got a vision for what I'm trying to do with my Mugen, and I'd like to know if one of you knows a way to add an additional picture in the character's select screen (and also in the versus screen aswell), besides portrait and icon, for each character?
I want to display some sort of buttons layout for each character, so you could briefly tell which button does what with each char.
Thanks  :)
Re: Add an extra picture in character select?
#2  January 19, 2020, 07:42:26 am
    • USA
Do you mean like a visual movesheet? Ive seen people use the intro.def to scroll a movesheet before arcade mode. Seemed like a pretty decent workaround.
#3  January 19, 2020, 11:04:51 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Is the additional picture on the screen with everything else. Or does it show up on some sort of action?

If its just there you can do this easily. If you want a button press or something to activate the move list. No you cant do that at all.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#4  January 19, 2020, 01:29:37 pm
Look
https://i.imgur.com/BQKvdAh.png
I want to do something like this (the green area)
it should change for each character you hover on, and for p2 it should stay flipped the same as p1 because it will be informative pictures to indicate what buttons do what briefly for each character
#5  January 19, 2020, 02:23:59 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
It's possible, but not in the way you're describing. The easiest way to achieve this would be to incorporate the movelists into the portraits themselves and use the same trick asymmetrical screenpacks like Legacy use, where each portrait contains both the P1 and P2 sides and is positioned as such so that the opposite side is never seen.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#6  January 20, 2020, 12:41:11 pm
It's possible, but not in the way you're describing. The easiest way to achieve this would be to incorporate the movelists into the portraits themselves and use the same trick asymmetrical screenpacks like Legacy use, where each portrait contains both the P1 and P2 sides and is positioned as such so that the opposite side is never seen.
Sounds good, any idea how to implement it into my screenpack?
#7  January 20, 2020, 03:22:11 pm
  • Niigasan
Best way to learn is to study the source.
#8  January 20, 2020, 05:04:20 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
That would be wise, but I'll give a quick example.

So here's a single VS portrait:

This one image contains the portraits for both P1 and P2, appearing mirrored but cropped differently; the one on the left is P2's portrait, while the one on the right is P1's.

In-game, it looks like this:

And if we were to expand the game window to see both portraits in full:

Note that the portrait isn't actually flipped in-game like what you'd usually have, but positioned so the other side of the portrait isn't visible.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#9  January 21, 2020, 01:27:03 pm
I see! very clever, I'll study the source then and see if I can apply my vision :) Thank you all!