YesNoOk

how do you perform special moves (Read 50110 times)

Started by CamZ, August 01, 2012, 04:43:40 pm
Share this topic:
how do you perform special moves
#1  August 01, 2012, 04:43:40 pm
    • USA
    • qjpfwyjq@sharklasers.com
one of the special moves for a character i have is: D, DF, F, x
well i tried pressing those buttons as fast as i could but nothing happens  :-\
Re: how do you perform special moves
#2  August 01, 2012, 07:38:01 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org
Could be a number of situations that are causing it:

1.) Does the command use ~x? If not, it could be that the command is too strict
2.) What value does the command have for its command time? If the time is too short, that could be why the command is not working (or you're not doingit fast enough)
3.) Does the command have any alternate inputs (ex: D,DF,F+x AND D,F+x)? If not, the command might be too strict
4.) Are there any other requirements for using the move? ex: does the move require a certain amount of life or power? Check the triggers for the changestate controller that corresponds to the command (usually found in the cmd file).
Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 07:43:44 pm by RicePigeon
#3  August 01, 2012, 08:04:21 pm
    • USA
Could be a number of situations that are causing it:

1.) Does the command use ~x? If not, it could be that the command is too strict
2.) What value does the command have for its command time? If the time is too short, that could be why the command is not working (or you're not doingit fast enough)
3.) Does the command have any alternate inputs (ex: D,DF,F+x AND D,F+x)? If not, the command might be too strict
4.) Are there any other requirements for using the move? ex: does the move require a certain amount of life or power? Check the triggers for the changestate controller that corresponds to the command (usually found in the cmd file).

it doesnt have ~x, it doesnt have any alternate inputs or requirements and the command time is 20 seconds
#4  August 01, 2012, 08:21:00 pm
    • Hungary
    • seravy.x10.mx/Wordpress
20 seconds
20 ticks, you mean. That's 1/3 of a second, but it should be enough.
Are you sure the character has that special and it is working? Might be a coding problem that makes it unusable,too.

0. Did you get that command from the character readme files? If it's in the cmd but the character readme doesn't mention the attack, it might be a command not used by the character for anything (a leftover from a template or similar)
1. Check if the move actually is coded in the character and works. Easiest is to use a character that can force a state change into that state number in training mode, like my Aura in debug mode, but I think there are others with this feature, too. Sometimes people release incomplete characters where some specials or supers aren't coded yet.
2. If the move does exist, then look for conflicting commands. Any command that is a part of the special's command must have the changestate for it below the special, otherwise they'll take priority. For example, if the changestate for command "x" is first, then that attack will happen instead of the special.
3. Make sure the coding of the move does include ctrl=0 in the statedef. Otherwise you'll cancel the attack into walking immedietly (unless you release the F fast enough)
4. Try replacing the command with an easier version. D,$F,x should work.
#5  August 01, 2012, 09:03:08 pm
    • USA
20 seconds
20 ticks, you mean. That's 1/3 of a second, but it should be enough.
Are you sure the character has that special and it is working? Might be a coding problem that makes it unusable,too.

0. Did you get that command from the character readme files? If it's in the cmd but the character readme doesn't mention the attack, it might be a command not used by the character for anything (a leftover from a template or similar)
1. Check if the move actually is coded in the character and works. Easiest is to use a character that can force a state change into that state number in training mode, like my Aura in debug mode, but I think there are others with this feature, too. Sometimes people release incomplete characters where some specials or supers aren't coded yet.
2. If the move does exist, then look for conflicting commands. Any command that is a part of the special's command must have the changestate for it below the special, otherwise they'll take priority. For example, if the changestate for command "x" is first, then that attack will happen instead of the special.
3. Make sure the coding of the move does include ctrl=0 in the statedef. Otherwise you'll cancel the attack into walking immedietly (unless you release the F fast enough)
4. Try replacing the command with an easier version. D,$F,x should work.

the command is both in the cmd and the read me file. and i'm using kfm to test special moves so all the coding should be fine. but what also confuses me about these special moves is that the buttons they tell you to press are the buttons for player 2 (D=left movement, F= kick), so when i'm pressing D,DF,F,X i start controlling the other character, how would it be possible to do special moves when playing VS mode then?
#6  August 02, 2012, 01:42:15 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
change your keys. You have an options menu.

I'm sure you're aware that D F means down forward. Open options, change keys to suit, then try.

X does not mean the key X on your keyboard, it means the key you have defined as the X button.

Just in case, as your last post has made me doubt things

D = Down
F = Forward
U = Up
B = Back

a = a button]
b = b button] Kicks
c = c button]
x = x button}
y = y button} Punches
z = z button}

As defined in options, most people use qweasd or asdzxc for them.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#7  August 02, 2012, 03:15:17 pm
    • USA
change your keys. You have an options menu.

I'm sure you're aware that D F means down forward. Open options, change keys to suit, then try.

X does not mean the key X on your keyboard, it means the key you have defined as the X button.

Just in case, as your last post has made me doubt things

D = Down
F = Forward
U = Up
B = Back

a = a button]
b = b button] Kicks
c = c button]
x = x button}
y = y button} Punches
z = z button}

As defined in options, most people use qweasd or asdzxc for them.

wow thanks i didnt know that. but i've tried doing it the right way now and it STILL doesnt work.
DOWN,DOWN FORWARD, FORWARD PUNCH. and i'm doing it in training mode so my power bar is full
#8  August 02, 2012, 03:53:15 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA

My gut feeling is that this is whats causing the problem. Do you mind posting the code of the changestate controller that ues the command (ie: if the command for D,DF,F+x is "QCF_x", then look in the cmd file for a changestate which contains a trigger for command = "QCF_x"). Something tells me the author may have coded it improperly.
#9  August 02, 2012, 05:15:41 pm
    • USA

My gut feeling is that this is whats causing the problem. Do you mind posting the code of the changestate controller that ues the command (ie: if the command for D,DF,F+x is "QCF_x", then look in the cmd file for a changestate which contains a trigger for command = "QCF_x"). Something tells me the author may have coded it improperly.

the character is KFM. i'm trying to do triple kung fu palm now, and it isnt working.

Code:
[Command]
name = "TripleKFPalm"
command = ~D, DF, F, D, DF, F, x
time = 20

Code:
;Triple Kung Fu Palm (uses one super bar)
[State -1, Triple Kung Fu Palm]
type = ChangeState
value = 3000
triggerall = command = "TripleKFPalm"
triggerall = power >= 1000
trigger1 = statetype = S
trigger1 = ctrl
trigger2 = statetype != A
trigger2 = hitdefattr = SC, NA, SA, HA
trigger2 = stateno != [3000,3050)
trigger2 = movecontact
trigger3 = stateno = 1310 || stateno = 1330 ;From blocking
#10  August 02, 2012, 05:25:47 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
You mentioned in the first post you were trying to do D,DF,F+x when the command you showed is D,DF,F,D,DF,F+x?

Probably the issue here, and common with keyboards, is that you're unintentionally skipping the DF command, which MUGEN reads as holding both the D anf F keys simultaneously. This isn't an issue for stick or pad users, but try omitting the DFs and see if that works (in other words, it should be ~D,F,D,F+x)
#11  August 02, 2012, 05:42:40 pm
    • USA
You mentioned in the first post you were trying to do D,DF,F+x when the command you showed is D,DF,F,D,DF,F+x?

Probably the issue here, and common with keyboards, is that you're unintentionally skipping the DF command, which MUGEN reads as holding both the D anf F keys simultaneously. This isn't an issue for stick or pad users, but try omitting the DFs and see if that works (in other words, it should be ~D,F,D,F+x)

yeah i know that was a different move i saw in the read me. i'm trying to do this one now that i found in the cmd and it isnt working. i know DF means down and forward simultaneously. i've tried so many times now. can i change the combination to something easier?
#12  August 03, 2012, 03:01:37 am
    • USA
...?

2OS

#13  August 03, 2012, 04:05:59 am
  • 608 Wannabe
  • Ich schicke dich zur HOELLE!! STIRB DU FEIGLING!!
    • Egypt
thread bump when topic is still on page 1

don't do this anymore

stateno != [3000,3050)
#14  August 03, 2012, 04:24:49 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
That's valid. And it's KFM code. And it's a trigger2, so not really a problem.

I think the problem is he's not aware of what his keys are.

Look in your OPTIONS menu and see what X actually is. I've written punch. That's the industry standard, you may find it's different character by character. Look at what your keys are NOW and transcribe that to the command file.

A = x
S = y
D = z

Under MY setup, it may not be the same for you so CHECK.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.

2OS

#15  August 03, 2012, 05:12:43 am
  • 608 Wannabe
    • Egypt
wasn't really addressing the problem per se

how is that valid
#16  August 03, 2012, 05:36:51 am
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
wasn't really addressing the problem per se

how is that valid

Iirc, MUGEN interprets brackets "[" and "]" as inclusive, while parenthesis "(" and ")" are noninclusive.

In laymans terms, stateno = [3000,3050) translates to every state from 3000 up to and including 3049, but not 3050. In fact, [3000,3049], [3000,3050), (2999,3050), and (2999,3049] are all semantically equivalent as far as mugen is concerned. Its a rarity that you don't see as often, but it is valid.

2OS

#17  August 03, 2012, 07:58:12 am
  • 608 Wannabe
    • Egypt
that's more rare than sysfvar and bitwise shifting.

that in and of itself should say tons.