• Keeping mugen stupid
    • USA
    • fivehundrederrors@hotmail.com
Nice post
Re: #GamerGate
#44  March 08, 2015, 02:34:00 am
  • "OHHH YES!"
    • Canada
As someone who's not taking sides I can make a much more mature and thoughtful outlook on it.

From what I see, if I had to pick (Note: This means I have not but am suggesting that if I was forced to) I'd go with #GamerGate because I believe the IDEA and the base idea alone of gaming media being messed up is, well, entirely true. It's hard to ignore the general collusion in gaming press, but I don't feel the need to side with the entire collective on this. I'll stand by the sidelines and approve of the wise decisions that are made, and I support the idea of refining the gaming press as a whole because it kind of needs it honestly.

A good kick in the pants would do a lot.

But are there truly grown men in this world?!
Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 02:51:54 am by Killer Kong
#45  March 08, 2015, 02:46:15 am
as someone that is not going to take sides heres my mature view on things *takes a side*
#46  March 08, 2015, 02:50:16 am
  • "OHHH YES!"
    • Canada
I don't know if your reading comprehension is off or not but the choice words of "If I had to pick" being clearly embedded in the post should probably alarm you to stop pointing out logical fallacies that do not exist. But for the sake of clarity I'll go bold it and add stuff to it to make it more obvious.

#47  March 08, 2015, 04:24:16 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
as someone that is not going to take sides heres my mature view on things *takes a side*

It's not taking a side if he's not actively participating, you know.  You can agree with an ideal without being on the side and agreeing with everything they do.  I think the gaming press is garbage too but I'm also not on Twitter going full tinfoil hat about the SJW boogeyman. 
#48  March 08, 2015, 04:32:04 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
#49  March 08, 2015, 04:37:28 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。

It's not taking a side if he's not actively participating, you know.  You can agree with an ideal without being on the side and agreeing with everything they do.  I think the gaming press is garbage too but I'm also not on Twitter going full tinfoil hat about the SJW boogeyman.

you were literally "taking the trash out of mugen" because of social justice. "exposing racism and sexism " of users banned years ago.
#50  March 08, 2015, 04:53:56 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
can we not...
#51  March 08, 2015, 04:59:37 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Agreed.  Gamergate is a topic that has enough pointless drama bullshit already.  Maybe let's not drag up old Guild drama bullshit to pile on top of it.
#52  March 08, 2015, 05:04:28 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
hes trying to talk shit about social justice when he ran a twitter he claimed to be dedicated to social justice.

He should think before not posting next time.
#53  March 08, 2015, 05:08:20 am
taking a side on an issue doesn't mean you have to be 24/7 twitter militant hashtag about it, and it doesn't mean you stand for everything that everybody that took that side is going to do, because that's ridiculous. oh you're a DEMOCRAT?? like that guy on the news that fucks dogs? he's a democrat, maybe you like to fuck dogs too huh

I believe the IDEA and the base idea alone of gaming media being messed up is, well, entirely true. It's hard to ignore the general collusion in gaming press [...] I support the idea of refining the gaming press as a whole because it kind of needs it honestly.
this means you're for gamergate, because that's what gamergate is about. when you try to take this moral high ground Ha ha I am mature and not taking sides but then say you support the essence of one of the sides, well it makes you look very silly
#54  March 08, 2015, 05:08:53 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Agreed.  Gamergate is a topic that has enough pointless drama bullshit already.  Maybe let's not drag up old Guild drama bullshit to pile on top of it.

ALRIGHT, MOM. GOD. :thereshouldbeanangryrolleyesemoticon:

Anyway, one of my #GamerGate supporter friends just sent me these statistics, he says it's from 8chan.

Kotaku:
>21 men/3 women
>18 white/6 minorities
https://archive.today/nn5oH

Ars Technica:
>29 men/4 women
>32 white/1 minority
https://archive.today/1g8MK

Polygon:
>15 men/3 women
>15 white/3 minorities
https://archive.today/YFjt5

Rock Paper Shotgun:
>4 men/2 women
>6 white/ 0 minorities
https://archive.today/lUANH

Gamasutra:
>7 men/2 women
>7 white/2 minorities
https://archive.today/rqCVw

In total, these media outlets are:
>84% male
>87% white

And it had this .gif attached:

Even though I ain't taking sides, I don't think you have to be GamerGate to get a chuckle out of it.
#55  March 08, 2015, 05:09:00 am
    • USA
I appreciate the sentiment but I've come to accept that it's the only way anyone knows how to "win" an argument on here.

GG is obviously the "winning" side in terms of objectivity and who's doing better but that doesn't necessarily make them the good guys.  Nobody here is necessarily good, they both think they're fighting for the greater good ("ethics in journalism" and "equality for women") but they're also resorting to the exact same garbage (name calling and doxing, trying to take the moral high ground because of slandering the other side, "with us or against us" mentality) as well as both being a bunch of paranoid, thin skinned babies who take the slightest hint of criticism extremely personally and create block lists and blacklists to get around it.  I can't even call myself neutral because I equally despise both sides.

TL;DR

My understanding of this whole Gamergate thing is that it is two camps of incredibly shitty people being incredibly shitty at each other in a very loud manner for reasons that are vague and muddled at best.  Am I close?

You're not close, you're right on the mark.
#56  March 08, 2015, 05:15:31 am
  • "OHHH YES!"
    • Canada
taking a side on an issue doesn't mean you have to be 24/7 militant about it, and it doesn't mean you stand for everything that everybody that took that side is going to do, because that's ridiculous. oh you're a DEMOCRAT?? like that guy on the news that fucks dogs? he's a democrat, maybe you like to fuck dogs too huh

I believe the IDEA and the base idea alone of gaming media being messed up is, well, entirely true. It's hard to ignore the general collusion in gaming press [...] I support the idea of refining the gaming press as a whole because it kind of needs it honestly.
this means you're for gamergate, because that's what gamergate is about. when you try to take this moral high ground Ha ha I am mature and not taking sides but then say you support the essence of one of the sides, well it makes you look very silly
My "Moral High ground" was in response to Meldo's really really thoughtless post on the matter (to which I PROBABLY should've quoted but oh well!) For the record I had no intent of like, calling anyone else immature, but supporting the essence doesn't mean supporting the whole. I've seen people under the hashtag do pretty bad stuff and sometimes it's SUPPORTED by other members, and I don't generally like to associate myself with it. Which is why I said the IDEA is good. I suppose I should elaborate in that some of the execution is kind of poor and I don't like how things are gone about in a lot of ways, but I support the IDEA, just not the entire movement.

I probably worded it poorly (maybe? Dunno) but my point was that while I think #GamerGate has good ideas there are also some...not so good ideas and/or actions and I'd prefer not to associate myself directly with either or because of this.

My other issue is that if you asked like 500 people what GamerGate is you'd get varying answers. Not everyone is in it for the same thing (as could be said about virtually any online movement or movement in general) but if I can't confidently support EVERYTHING that goes on under it, I don't want to be a direct part of it.

I guess I'm less neutral and more of someone who's like, leaning but not seriously leaning because I tend to focus on playing games a lot more than talking about them like this. I guess that's the best way to put it.

Also yeah Person Man's post hits the mark mostly spot on.

If I need to clarify any more please ask, I hope this sheds light on the misconception. Basically the core concept is good but the movement itself and the other things attached to it I don't really like so I can't call that outright support, or I feel like I'd be sort of lying. Just how I see it.

Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 05:26:54 am by Killer Kong
#57  March 08, 2015, 05:26:48 am
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
I think if your main point is "I won't choose a side" you shouldn't create a situation where you choose a side, hypothetical or not.
you can't mixup a blind man, and you can't out think a brick ~skisonic
Street fighting is all about analysis, prediction, and reaction. That's it.

#58  March 08, 2015, 05:28:18 am
  • "OHHH YES!"
    • Canada
I think if your main point is "I won't choose a side" you shouldn't create a situation where you choose a side, hypothetical or not.
True enough, it was more in response to the Topic Creator's poll of "Pick a necessary evil" though, but this doesn't make this any less right. Again I totally understand like, the misconceptions behind it, I think I'll just take my bow out of here now, honestly. I can't discuss this kind of thing without walking myself in circles and confusing myself because it kind of irritates me as a whole.

#59  March 08, 2015, 05:44:15 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Conflicts in the real world (or the internet) aren't 'good guys' vs 'bad guys', that's fiction. Real conflicts are mostly 'morally ambiguous guys' vs 'morally ambiguous guys'. That's the GG vs SJW fiasco for you, two groups of self righteous, flawed individuals (aka humans) in conflict.
#60  March 08, 2015, 06:07:38 am
    • USA
I'm just going to assume Meldo was trying really hard for internet coolness points and falling on his face.  Not a big deal really. 

As for the poll...well, what we call Gamergate has technically existed for a very long time, that being the refusal of certain consumers to bow down to what they deem unethical, but it was never handled this poorly before, or as snide and self congratulatory.  For that matter, I really wish Gamergate would go after the real scum of the gaming industry.  Shitty journalists and "SJWs" will inevitably lose interest and/or become a vocal minority, but as long as big corporations are allowed to fuck the consumer in the ass with on disc DLC, microtransactions, DRM and other bullshit, and as long as there are fanboys willing to white knight for them, the core problem with gaming continues to exist.  I can only assume that the reason for this is because the SJW boogeyman is such an internet hate sink that people can rally against it more easily, while nobody wants to admit their favorite company might have ulterior motives (shoutouts to Sony ponies/Xbots/Nintendrones).

EDIT: Also don't forget that every rumor, every little white lie stems from some form of truth.  The misogyny accusations may be overblown, but they're grounded in facts.  Back in the Zoe Quinn days there were more than plenty of people that were far more concerned with her being a "slut" or something than there were about her being dishonest.
Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 06:11:26 am by Duos