MUGEN Inspirations (Read 2938 times)

Started by Nep Heart, April 07, 2019, 09:53:54 am
Share this topic:
MUGEN Inspirations
#1  April 07, 2019, 09:53:54 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 Which authors would you consider to be your biggest influences as far as your own personal design philosophy for MUGEN content and why? It can be for anything from creation or editing of characters, stages, screenpacks, lifebars, palettes, etc.

For the purpose of this thread, I'll limit it up to five per poster.

As for me in no particular order...

1. RicePigeon: The idea of custom gameplay Touhou characters is a gigantic appeal to me, but even more so is the fact they all operate under a complex, yet consistent system that is balanced towards each other in spite of having their own individual gimmicks that otherwise separate them. Also, a lot of my coding is based on his stuff, which coincidentally works well with my own. This is particularly evidence in my Akyuu herself.

2. Otz-Kai: His Sayaka Miki is what got me started in this character creation hobby to which I used as a basis for my very first character. Otz-Kai's stuff are quite deep in their gameplay design and aesthetics, this level of workmanship and care with an original style made me want to do a similar take with my own stuff. His Mami is something I also consider using the sprites and sounds for my own version in the future and I really anticipate the release of Madoka for the same reasons, the latter being the very character I've wanted to do the most for MUGEN.

3. 586: With Eternal Fighter Zero being one of my favorite fighting games, it's no surprise that 586 has a very strong allure to me. However, this isn't just limited to his near-source accurate based EFZ characters, but his older generation of custom stuff. Parts of their gameplay and a lot of their aesthetics of both generations can be found in my own characters such as the level 3/5 superpause designs. They even have very similar combo systems, albeit I take my own liberties.

4. Rakurai: Something of a spiritual successor to 586's old generation characters, my reasoning for choosing Rakurai would be quite similar to that of 586's, except with additional new aesthetics and gameplay ideas to draw from.

5. Phantom.of.the.Server: You'd be scratching your head as to why I chose this author in spite of me not jumping on the PotS bandwagon that's plagued MUGEN communities for a long time. Well, his stuff still stands the tests of time and remain an excellent source for advance codes whenever I am stumped. Next to RicePigeon, much of my coding is based on PotS', especially his fantastic cornerpush code. His encyclopedic feedback thread was partly how I got into MUGEN character creation in the first place.
Re: MUGEN Inspirations
#2  April 07, 2019, 10:22:35 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com

Since I'm working with magical girls with sailor suits I usually get inspiration from Kpop idols. As of the moment it is Hyuna's Bubble Pop since I'm currently working with the soldier of flame and passion.  :toff:

I just love using her legs as reference. I'll probably switch soon to Lisa from Blackpink as soon as I start working with the soldier of love and beauty.  :daisy:

Also with the upcoming release of Streets of Rage 4, I usually watch SOR3 and the PC fan games. I'm so excited for this along with Ninjawarriors Once Again.  :computer:

And of course KOF whether its from SNK or Mugen. Not my favorite fighting game but working with their sprites usually gives great results. I just finished Sailor Mars' new jumping blowback using Mai Shiranui. Also I love seeing KOF edits like Asuka.  :beatnik:

So yeah its pretty old school retro stuff and Kpop that I immerse myself to get in the zone of doing my artwork. Anime not much. I just watch the old 90's stuff. That along with Yugioh and Naruto.  :gossip:

sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 10:26:12 am by rgveda99
#3  April 07, 2019, 10:24:19 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 I think you may have misread the opening post because it specifically says "MUGEN authors" as sources of MUGEN content creation. :P
#4  April 08, 2019, 02:54:43 pm
Im inspired by many creators be it Jmorphman the Z2 guys ,Divine Wolf, Vans ,POTS,Knuckles even stage creators like Shiyo Kakuge and Electro, its just awesome how legit mugen can get when you now what to download.

Screenpack creators too Noz, Devon ( Devon's stages are also awesome) Vegaz, the list goes on and on.

Lets not forget sprtiers too, Felo's Leona sprites and Delusion's Juri look fucking amazing.

Electro's Batman stage.
https://streamable.com/ggfcd

Devon's Stage
https://streamable.com/zp3tn

I dont have a video of the beach stage that Shiyo made but here's a clip from the original game
https://streamable.com/t2elh
Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 03:12:18 pm by PeXXeR
#5  April 09, 2019, 07:16:11 am
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
As an author, I started making chars from classic and obscure games (like Power Instinct series and Aggressors of Dark Kombat). Saying this, some of my influences are (limited to 5 as Nep says):
  • Lord Sinistro: One of the first creators I started to follow when I joined to MUGEN. I love his creations until today and his love for obscure chars is what made me hang on with this engine
  • O Ilusionista: Another obscure char creator who also made a lot of works in different styles (in sprites and gameplay) instead just stay in one, he's another big inspiration to me until today. And I still think my Saizo Hattori is a tag-team creation :P (it's my code, but he ripped the sprites and sounds, so the half of that char is from him)
  • Adamskie: Apart of classic and obscure chars, he also made chars from Street Fighter (mostly Alpha series) and Fatal Fury, with simple codes he could recreate wonderfully chars, he seems that make MUGEN chars were easy, and so did I
  • Parker: My mentor when I started, he was making it famous in the CVS2 era in MUGEN (way before the POTS chars) and he helped me a lot, he becomes one of my inspirations for far
  • Inverse: Apart of his characters (also obscure most of them), his tutorials in spanish served me as the base to create until now, anothe rreference for me

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#6  April 09, 2019, 07:41:11 am
  • The need situation makes the man
    • Mexico
    • www.facebook.com/mike.funkyman
Andres Borghi and Sean Altly because they are origina creators of full games
#7  April 11, 2019, 12:57:49 pm
Koopakoot and Vans for their KOF Interactive tutorials especially after I have managed to sync art money and winkawaks to find the velocity values for the kof characters

when will this personal crises ends? it just won't stop!
#8  April 17, 2019, 03:57:45 am
  • R.I.P Mugen 1999-202X
    • USA
    • mugen.wikia.com/User:Jenngra505
I'm still a bit new to creations but I guess these people are my inspirations.
  • P.O.T.S: A classic Mugen creator, the playstyle of my Numbuh 3 and future serious works are inspired by him and his many, many, followers.
  • The_None: This mans work is the pinnacle of Mugen creativity and hopefully someday I'll be able to come up with movesets as unique and fun as the ones found in his characters.
  • Team Z2: Their Dragon Ball characters are amazing and they inspired me to delve into more cinematic hypers which you can get a slight taste of in Numbuh 3's Butterfly Suit but I plan to go further with in potential future releases.
  • Medicore Toon Creators: Yeah, the gameplay and sprites of characters by the likes of Warner and DDR aren't that good but seeing them as a little kiddo was what got me into this engine in the first place and the inspiration for a lot of my character ideas is to get some of the franchises their works have represented or ones they might want to represent be done with justice.
Hopefully someday I'll be able to make the little puffball on my profile pic.
(Sprite edited from Scrollboss' sprite)
Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 04:14:01 am by jenngra505
#9  April 17, 2019, 04:11:21 am
  • Niigasan
Hmm biggest influence... probably r@ce and infinite. They were always 2 of my favorite creators back when sic-1 was around. Wasnt for them i probably would of never tried my own thing. Dw and jmorph also, what they do sort of influenced me to try something different, although i love what they do, i haattte using chars that feel stiff so i changed it up a bit adding more comboability. So i thank all of them
#10  April 17, 2019, 06:18:35 am
  • Don't copy code if you don't understand it.
    • USA
    • a13rown@hotmail.com
Although I have no current public releases(some private though), two people have always had a major influence on me.......

• Fido:  My coding mentor.  He gave me a lot of constructive criticism while giving me the best coding advice I'd ever receive. For those how don't know, Fido is the creator of the Street Fighter Megamix series. His characters gave me a lot of motivation with creativity.
  • RedNavi:  I followed his mugen full game tutorial step by step when I started my vampire/darkstalkers full mugen game. It's actually still located in this forum: http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/fullgame-coding-guide-undocumented-and-noncommonly-known-problems-102062.0.html Incredible mugen coder.  Rednavi was the creator of the Capcom vs Snk W Full game addon
#11  April 22, 2019, 10:36:21 am
  • I'm 100% Team OHMSBY now.
    • USA
Here's my list of people who I get inspiration by:

DarkCipherLucius (DCL): DCL was one of my first inspiration creators on my younger days. He was the sole reason what made me do character creation. Which my first character released being MvCSI God Ken, a modified version of MvC-EoH to differentiate from his works. However, I feel like after returning to M.U.G.E.N years later, I feel like my MvCSI style is dated to today's standards. I don't think I'll ever return back to this and my God Ken will forever be a memory of my younger days.

EXShadow: Was known for his stages, but he also made lifebars as well (Which most of them he never released). I never use default lifebars and always do private edits of my own to suit my tastes. Most of my inspiration of my private edits are entirely based on his. My favorite one is the one with the Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generation of Heroes announcer with a green electric fight animation. So I use a customized of NGeo's DmC lifebars with Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars announcer with a white electric fight animation, which I still use to this day.

Phantom.of.the.Server: The holy grail creator of the M.U.G.E.N community. When I got older, I really want to make characters in the style of his Geese and onwards, but I find his difficult to learn with so I may not do it. However, I will play with his characters and anyone who uses his style for years to come.

OHMSBY: This one is actually a recent one appearing only less than a year back. For months, I ended up helping him a lot when it comes to feedback and polishing up his creations. I find his characters somewhat of a easier learning curve with when it comes to character creation for me. So I might consider moving on to making non-Blazblue Cross Tag Battle characters in his style in the future.
I will still do detail and aesthetic feedback for the rest.