YesNoOk

Fighter Factory Development Thread (Read 74505 times)

Started by VirtuallTek, September 04, 2010, 04:06:44 am
Share this topic:
Re: Fighter Factory Development Thread
#41  September 06, 2010, 04:50:28 am
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
Since I don't use FF often, I just noticed this now.

Why in the effing 9 layers of hell the back up button is right next to the tool navigation buttons?
IT SHOULD BE ISOLATED FROM THE OTHER BUTTONS!  >:(

Since its save function related, it is close to the save button.

Bea

#42  September 06, 2010, 04:55:34 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
It's... wrong.
It's too close to the tool navigation buttons, and can be a time intensive process, causing the user to waste time due to misclicks.
It NEEDS to be isolated or hidden in a menu.
And it's function should create a bak folder under the work folder and copy the files there, instead of flooding the work folder with back files.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#43  September 06, 2010, 05:01:08 am
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
No, its not wrong.

Its close to save as button, to options button and def button. How much you hit those buttons to misclick they?
And...they are so different in color...you can blame the tool because you misclick something too different.

Its related with save function. To make it hidden is as weird as to make SAVE AS hidden because someone can misclick it.

And it's function should create a bak folder under the work folder and copy the files there, instead of flooding the work folder with back files.

Good idea.

Bea

#44  September 06, 2010, 05:06:08 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
14 years of software development, over a hundred of programs developed, some certificates in software engineering and usability say it's wrong.
I'm sorry, but that's just the truth.

At worst, it should be right next to the save all button, not next to the options button, and definitely not next to the sprites button.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

#45  September 06, 2010, 05:10:45 am
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
I know that you will end saying this...So you are the most interessed in usability, right? This is why today we have people to just test program's interface...because the programmers put theirselves into a glassbox and can't see what is easy and what is not to the USER, who will end using the program, not the programmer. Nothing personal.

Ok, for me its just plain absurd to bother about a YELLOW BUTTON close to BLUE BUTTON, because he can't freaking click on the right button.

Geez.

Bea

#46  September 06, 2010, 05:19:30 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
You do realize that I have certificates in software usability, which involves user interface, right?
I do this thing for a living, damn it.

That button is positioned and grouped wrongly.
You say it's related to save, and yet it's next to options and sprites. And I only realized it's backup because the tooltip over the button says so. A lock has nothing to do with backup.
A lock would have to do with check out and check in at source control software.

And once again, it can be a time intensive operation since the sprite and sound file can grow large. Hence, the button shouldn't be close to the buttons the user will be using the most.

#47  September 06, 2010, 05:22:26 am
    • Chile
    • mkvssf.com/
#48  September 06, 2010, 05:25:15 am
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
You do realize that I have certificates in software usability, which involves user interface, right?
I do this thing for a living, damn it.

Yes, I do know. As I know that I'm information architect, with certificates on it too and I was called, many times, to fix the errors from... the certificated programmers that forgets one thing: it isn't they who will be using the program, but the normal users. nothing personal

and yet it's next to options and sprites

Its grouped with the Options. The other one is DEF, not sprites.

A lock has nothing to do with backup

WHAT????

As much as I respect you...but this time, you're wrong, lady. Paddle locks are used to represent backups since...forever.
Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 05:28:32 am by .(O).
#49  September 06, 2010, 05:28:44 am
  • im finally just like everyone else
    • sites.google.com/site/thespritehaven/
What does a lock and a backup have in common? ???

fucking bad poster asshole that home32 bitch
#50  September 06, 2010, 05:29:43 am
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
What a lock does?

Its locks something safe from the rest.

Do the math.
#51  September 06, 2010, 05:30:28 am
  • im finally just like everyone else
    • sites.google.com/site/thespritehaven/
That's quite a stretch.

fucking bad poster asshole that home32 bitch
#52  September 06, 2010, 08:50:34 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Agreed. A lock could mean many other things not necessarily in common with back up :
- It could create a password to access your files. LOLWUT
- It could lock the current file you're on to forbid any modification (making it a read-only file)
etc.
#53  September 06, 2010, 09:29:12 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Ilu you are the only one arguing for a minor feature to be left where it is because it causes annoyances for other users. You are then saying it's about usability. Damn skippy it is which is why a minor button you should only want to click ON PURPOSE should be away from buttons you wish to click more often, like say, SAVE. And in FFC the "backup" button is right next to save all. If he is going for that interface (cos it was GOOD) then the button can easily be shifted into a menu where it makes far more sense because it should not be a commonly used button.

Also, when i flick my mouse up to hit save all i don't spend 10 seconds checking that i'm over the save all button. I don't see why segregating a minor feature to somewhere more sensible should mean you have to defend it's current position. Do you use it constantly or are you just being aggravating on purpose.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#54  September 06, 2010, 12:13:14 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
From what im reading, there is no confirmation and the backup saves everything back.

Those are not good practices, there should be a confirmation ( are you sure you want to save this version) and it should create a folder where it moves the current files, and then save the new ones. ( adding a version number on the def that could go up by a digit each time a backup is saved).

This way implementing versioning and avoiding both entering a lenghty process without confirmation ( useability rule, nothing drastic should be started without at least a confirmation) .

Confirmation should be added to any save action that saves more than one file, this being a code project you might want to keep some extra files open for reference that you dont want to overwrite by having a slip of the finger on the menu.

Bea

#55  September 06, 2010, 12:40:35 pm
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
@Iced:

Aye.
I'm running the latest FFU build here, just checked the options and the checkboxes for "ask for confirmation before overwritting files" are checked and when I press save, save all or backup, it gladly overrides my files without prompting me.

#56  September 06, 2010, 02:14:59 pm
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
Instead of arguing over the positions of the buttons, why not add the ability to position them as you like by drag/dropping?  That's a common feature and that way everybody's happy.
#57  September 06, 2010, 02:45:35 pm
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
Instead of arguing over the positions of the buttons, why not add the ability to position them as you like by drag/dropping?  That's a common feature and that way everybody's happy.

That was my idea. To discuss more important things. But its okay.

adding a version number on the def that could go up by a digit each time a backup is saved

This would take much space in quick time. Just one backup is enough.

Confirmation should be added to any save action that saves more than one file

Good idea.

Also, when i flick my mouse up to hit save all i don't spend 10 seconds checking that i'm over the save all button. I don't see why segregating a minor feature to somewhere more sensible should mean you have to defend it's current position. Do you use it constantly or are you just being aggravating on purpose.

Yes, I use it a lot, and I NEVER hitted the wrong button. For me, if I can, then everyone can do too.

But its enough. I will skip this public discussion over FF. I do prefer to do as I always did: to talk with VT directly. So I don`t need to explain my words every damn time.

See ya.
#58  September 06, 2010, 03:47:07 pm
  • www.virtualltek.com
    • Brazil
    • www.virtualltek.com
Hello,

From what im reading, there is no confirmation and the backup saves everything back.

Those are not good practices, there should be a confirmation ( are you sure you want to save this version) and it should create a folder where it moves the current files, and then save the new ones. ( adding a version number on the def that could go up by a digit each time a backup is saved).

This way implementing versioning and avoiding both entering a lenghty process without confirmation ( useability rule, nothing drastic should be started without at least a confirmation) .

Confirmation should be added to any save action that saves more than one file, this being a code project you might want to keep some extra files open for reference that you dont want to overwrite by having a slip of the finger on the menu.
Yes, you are right.

Aye.
I'm running the latest FFU build here, just checked the options and the checkboxes for "ask for confirmation before overwritting files" are checked and when I press save, save all or backup, it gladly overrides my files without prompting me.
Yes, it is one of many fails. The confirmations only appears on the small save as button. It is related to the save dialog, when the user selects an file that already exists.

Yes, this solves the problem.

More decisions:
- Fighter Factory 3 will use a customizable set of icons. Users can create your own iconset to curtomize the interface.
- The toolbar position, the button order and visibility and the keyboard shortcuts may be customized.
- Make backup in a new folder.
- Ask for confirmation on all save function related to multiple files.

Thank you guys!
[]s
#59  September 06, 2010, 06:53:58 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
Idea that might be tough to implement, but it certainly can help both sides: Customizable interface á la Firefox. Move the buttons where YOU want them to be. Problem solved!

Also, is text .def file being implemented?
Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 06:58:39 pm by Jesuszilla
#60  September 06, 2010, 07:08:46 pm
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
Idea that might be tough to implement, but it certainly can help both sides: Customizable interface á la Firefox. Move the buttons where YOU want them to be. Problem solved!

Also, is text .def file being implemented?
Some decisions:
- .Def will be edited in text mode.
More decisions:
- The toolbar position, the button order and visibility and the keyboard shortcuts may be customized.