YesNoOk

Stop Mugen 1.0 from "overloading" (Read 2314 times)

Started by Speedy9199, March 13, 2012, 10:10:42 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Stop Mugen 1.0 from "overloading"
#21  March 13, 2012, 11:57:12 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
I did some experimenting and cutting out ALL of the backgrounds reduce the total file size to 40 MB.

That is a difference of about 45 MB. That is more than half of your character's original size.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#22  March 13, 2012, 11:59:59 pm
    • USA
Speedy, you can decide what sounds to keep in stereo and which ones to convert to mono. You don't need to pick just one. Keep the (Horrible) song in stereo and converts the sounds to mono.

About the animation, again don't use fullscreen anims like that, just isolate one snowflake in particle illusion, remove any vels from it and save one full loop of the snowflake animation (If it turns, if not it's just one frame then). You can later put several explods using the same animation, with different placement, vels and scale and you'll have a varied amount of snowflakes for the same kind of fx AND save tons of mb as well.

Heck, this way you can make not LR or HR but HD snowflakes and save TONS of mb anyway.

2OS

#23  March 14, 2012, 12:08:47 am
  • 608 Wannabe
  • Ich schicke dich zur HOELLE!! STIRB DU FEIGLING!!
    • Egypt
If lower quality FX improves playability ( and it WILL in this case ), do it.

Note that this is coming from an FX whore.

Or yaa if the effect isn't advanced at all and can be replicated through explods(+modifyexplods) / helpers, do that.
#24  March 14, 2012, 12:35:29 am
    • USA
    • speedy9199.webs.com/index.htm
Alright guys you have convinced me to reduce the file size of the characters BUT I just need to know one important thing(I can't test this right now because I am using a public computer) does cropping the sprites reposition them in the sff? If it doesn't for sure I will do this.
The answer to most of your mugen problems is to know more math.

How can you get the "feel" of a character if you are only touching a keyboard or controller?!?!

2OS

#25  March 14, 2012, 01:07:23 am
  • 608 Wannabe
    • Egypt
If ""move image"" is checked, no.
#26  March 14, 2012, 01:27:45 am
    • USA
Thanks guys, but my characters are so huge and even if I change the sound and crop the sprites, my characters' files sizes will STILL be like 5-15X larger than a standard mugen character which are mostly around 1-7 MB. Can mugen still handle this size?

How can you get the "feel" of a character if you are only touching a keyboard or controller?!?!
#27  March 14, 2012, 01:38:55 am
    • Canada
    • www.mugencoder.com
25mb is normal for a Hi-Res char, how exactly are u converting your sprites? What program? I prefer PSPX3 and use scripts/batch process.
Mugen can handle it, but relatively I think the FX sprites (320x240) and the larger bgs are the ones that is causing that big sff file size.

Please post the size - is it about 1/2 of the 100mb?
also, depending on how you scale the characters and coding (on some stuff) can affect the processor speed.

You can also post a sample of your characters (cropped and updated) and people can test it out if its laggy or heavy for mugen. But, in reality, it all boils down to people's computer hardware.
#28  March 14, 2012, 02:53:45 am
    • USA
Well I selected the "crop all images" button on Hakumen, my biggest character 127MB and Jin 84 MB and it hardly did ANYTHING, Hakumen in now 121MB and Jin is now 80MB also I checked and all the sounds for my characters, with the exception of about 3 sounds, they are already mono. As for the cropping, it did NOT crop any of the partical illusion effects for some reason.

I did some experimenting and cutting out ALL of the backgrounds reduce the total file size to 40 MB.

That is a difference of about 45 MB. That is more than half of your character's original size.

DNZRX768, I don't fully understand your post. Do you mean you completely REMOVED all the extra FX or did you mean you were able to crop those sprites?

2OS

#29  March 14, 2012, 03:05:54 am
  • 608 Wannabe
    • Egypt
Fullscreen stuff won't autocrop if they don't use color zero, which is conflicting because they're better off not using color zero ( allpalfx makes them look like shit, because it brightens everything besides color zero ).

You can't really crop them anyway if they use the whole canvas, and most of them do, which is why I didn't bother suggesting that and went straight to saying ""re-size them"".

I think this was said already but if the sprites are unused, delete them.
#30  March 14, 2012, 03:08:07 am
    • USA
Fullscreen stuff won't autocrop if they don't use color zero, which is conflicting because they're better off not using color zero ( allpalfx makes them look like shit, because it brightens everything besides color zero ).

You can't really crop them anyway if they use the whole canvas, and most of them do, which is why I didn't bother suggesting that and went straight to saying ""re-size them"".

I think this was said already but if the sprites are unused, delete them.

I already knew that BUT there are some partical illusion effects that are NOT the whole image and seem croppable in my characters. If the background for the image is complete black, will it auto crop?

#31  March 14, 2012, 03:13:05 am
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA

DNZRX768, I don't fully understand your post. Do you mean you completely REMOVED all the extra FX or did you mean you were able to crop those sprites?

For that experiment, I removed all of the 500+ 320 x 480 Background Sprites (not the FX's).

That reduced the size to about half of the original size.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!

2OS

#32  March 14, 2012, 03:24:26 am
  • 608 Wannabe
    • Egypt
Background sprites ARE FX.

It won't autocrop if the BG color isn't color zero. What color the BG is doesn't matter at all. WHERE it is, does.
#33  March 14, 2012, 10:35:25 pm
    • USA
I'm sorry 2OS but in your last sentence your double negative "won't" and "isn't" is making it hard to understand you. Please say the same thing without a double negative.  :P

2OS

#34  March 15, 2012, 12:25:44 am
  • 608 Wannabe
    • Egypt
Um

BGcolor=zero = autocrop
BGcolor=anythingelse = no autocrop
#35  March 15, 2012, 01:08:30 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
If you BG color is the transparent color, then it'll auto-crop. Otherwise no.
Also, make sure the FX within each animation has shared palette, because that's the kind of stuff that can save place.