YesNoOk

Dragon Ball Z: Super Butouden Legends (Read 195912 times)

Started by SaltAddict, March 12, 2017, 12:42:30 am
Share this topic:

Poll

Last character on new update?

Chiaotzu
1 (14.3%)
Bojack
0 (0%)
Dabura
3 (42.9%)
Fat Buu
1 (14.3%)
Nappa
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Dragon Ball Z: Super Butouden Legends
#1  March 12, 2017, 12:42:30 am
    • Portugal
One day, someone gathered the dragonballs and wished for an awesome tournament... Strangely, all the contestants looked like they came from a Snes game...

(Video got mirrored for some reason...)

Video is a bit outdated...

Screenies:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Anyway, the aim of this project is to make a game that has all most of the characters from Super Butouden (1,2 and 3), Hyper Dimension and Buyuu Retsuden, plus a few new additions.

Gameplay:
Powerbars, 1 match, two rounds, run, air dashes, double jump; standart stuff.
4 buttons: x for punch, a for kick, b is power charge and y is special attack, a melee attack unique to the character (i.e Piccolo's dash kick; Vegeta's fireball barrage). Each character has 3-5 specials and 1-2 "Z Specials" (basically EX moves; i.e Goku's teleport kamehameha) that cost half the powerbar  and 1 "Z Counter" that costs a third; Finally, each character has a unique super move that costs the entire powerbar.

Wishlist roster:

Actual, probable roster (is subject to (and probably will) change):

DOWNLOAD: http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/dragon-ball-z-super-butouden-legends-update-1-2-180065.msg2355260.html#new

Additional credits to:

Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 04:18:07 pm by FastFlash
Re: Dragon Ball Z: Super Butouden Legends
#2  March 18, 2017, 03:47:50 pm
    • Portugal
Bump!

Started working on Gohan:

Plus, some more gameplay info added to the first post.

#3  March 21, 2017, 08:24:36 pm
    • Germany
Oh it's rare to see someone working with this Sprite style these days.
Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 08:31:34 pm by Lichtbringer
#4  March 23, 2017, 12:19:56 am
    • USA
    • dhochoy09@gmail.com
    • dhgallery.weebly.com/
Looks pretty interesting....

Oh it's rare to see someone working with this Sprite style these days.
Going with the Super Butouden sprites are pretty bold move because those games weren't exactly AAA.

#5  March 24, 2017, 07:10:09 am
  • The Barbarian
  • Most ****able 2013
    • USA
    • Skype - chronostrifeff7h@hotmail.com
Going with the Super Butouden sprites are pretty bold move
::)

Pretty interesting project, best of luck on doing an SB update! Great to see my Hyper Dimension old lifebar edits getting some love again too!

#6  March 24, 2017, 01:29:37 pm
  • それから…夢なんて言葉で終わらす気はないが野望はある.
    • Japan
Yeah, this is indeed an intresting project, are you planning to add Beerus as a character, or maybe a secret boss. Anyways, goodluck.
#7  March 24, 2017, 02:37:55 pm
Have you seen the sprites he's using? If you think about it, you'll understand he won't be in.
#8  March 24, 2017, 03:03:18 pm
  • それから…夢なんて言葉で終わらす気はないが野望はある.
    • Japan
#9  March 24, 2017, 03:21:41 pm
    • USA
    • dhochoy09@gmail.com
    • dhgallery.weebly.com/

Pretty interesting project, best of luck on doing an SB update! Great to see my Hyper Dimension old lifebar edits getting some love again too!

No, I mean there isn't a whole lot of sprites to work with so he might wind up having to make a bunch of his own edits... unless bringing back the feel of the old Super Famicom games is his intention.

#10  March 24, 2017, 05:14:24 pm
    • Germany
No, I mean there isn't a whole lot of sprites to work with so he might wind up having to make a bunch of his own edits... unless bringing back the feel of the old Super Famicom games is his intention.

Oh there where a lot Super Butōden and Buyū Retsuden chars with sprite edits in the "old days" some sprites where realy great, some where ok, and some where bad, you can still find some of them if you know where you have to search for them.

Real hard would it be if he would try to make the same game with Hyper Dimension Sprites, the style was harder to reproduce, because of that not many full sprite edits exist, and many big sprite projects where never finished, and most of them are lost. =/

Vegetto (using custom sprites for this one)

Are you using the sprites from this one that was created by CHRONO_STRIFE long time ago?

Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 05:23:11 pm by Lichtbringer
#11  March 24, 2017, 06:03:35 pm
  • The Barbarian
  • Most ****able 2013
    • USA

Ah i see now! Sorry, and you're right if he's adding things that just weren't in the limited SB sprite set. I know all about that stuff anymore. :(

Actually speaking of SB sprites and possible customs. I'm not sure any of my old (or new) sprite sheets will help you and I'm not sure how far deep in to customs/edits you're intending to go but over the years I made a bunch of edited spritesheets(as poorly done as some may be), some might be helpful or have extra frames etc if needed. Although I may have pulled the colors too far from the source material, so you'd have to rework the palette to make them more authentic to the source, which hopefully isn't too bad.

But for Imperfect Cell (SB1) I have a sheet that adds some extra frames and color separated some of the parts. Cell Saga Krillin(BYR) was converted to an SB look by Neocide back in like '03 then got some more updates from me and additional spin off sheets (Cell Saga/Buu Saga) by me. Not sure how useful these would be for your project.
Likewise my old Zangya(SB2) sheet, despite having the face edited to be a bit less SB2 and a bit more sexy (as best I could do with my limited ability). But the sheet I think had some extra color separation and a bunch of new sprites added, albeit a goofier stance that no one liked except me. Bojack edits and Perfect Cell edits as well that could be useful if you are interested.
http://chronostrife.herobo.com/index.php?page=spritesheets
The site host has been acting really wonky, so you may need to refresh once or twice to get the sheet images to load. If the sheet credits multiple artists credit those guys. I don't really care much about the credit to myself (chrono_strife) these days. If you need extra frames (be them a few HD-SBish conversions or EB-SBish conversion), arms or legs for frankenspriting, I have some of my newer sheets on my Trello. Which is in my sig. You can grab any parts necessary off the Nail/Piccolo(incomplete)/Perfect Cell(incomplete) sheets on there if they prove beneficial in anyway.

In addition the Android 16 character I released includes one of the 2 sprite sheets as well(I think the Mugen 1.1 version), the sprites for 16 were by Benhazard. I think the Mugen 1.0 version might be closer to an (SB2) style feel since he's slight shorter and less detailed, but again the colors would need to be modified to better match the SB1/2 style. You could probably reach out to Benhazard as well if you want to use those sprites(and just rip them from the 1.0 SFF). I'd imagine he'd be cool with it (I know he has an account here since he released his Pan beta a couple years back).

I'm not sure any of this stuff will help at all and it's cool either way. I know most of the edits I've done suck and/or just deviate way to far from the source games to the point they look more like a different game altogether, but if you see anything that might help you, please go for it!

Oh god! What did I do to his poor face! But that is actually a lot closer to the SB style than my later stuff. Although the SSj hair and those faces might need to be fixed up. If the sheets are needed I have what looks like the final SSj version(last updated in 2004 from the looks), and the original SSJ version where the belt was still orange and the hair was just SB2 Goku hair(circa 2002), doesn't look like I have the normal version on file anymore. You guys are bringing back some fun memories!

Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:10:34 pm by chrono.st
#12  March 24, 2017, 06:30:30 pm
    • Portugal
Thanks for the positive comments!

Yeah, this is indeed an intresting project, are you planning to add Beerus as a character, or maybe a secret boss. Anyways, goodluck.

Berus probably won't be in this game, but there might be a secret character from Super  ::)

Vegetto (using custom sprites for this one)

Are you using the sprites from this one that was created by CHRONO_STRIFE long time ago?

I didn't know CHRONO_STRIFE made a Vegetto sheet, I was just going to edit SB2 Goku + edit some hyper dimension sprites 
 :mtongue:

Actually speaking of SB sprites and possible customs. I'm not sure any of my old (or new) sprite sheets will help you and I'm not sure how far deep in to customs/edits you're intending to go but over the years I made a bunch of edited spritesheets(as poorly done as some may be), some might be helpful or have extra frames etc if needed. Although I may have pulled the colors too far from the source material, so you'd have to rework the palette to make them more authentic to the source, which hopefully isn't too bad.

But for Imperfect Cell (SB1) I have a sheet that adds some extra frames and color separated some of the parts. Cell Saga Krillin(BYR) was converted to an SB look by Neocide back in like '03 then got some more updates from me and additional spin off sheets (Cell Saga/Buu Saga) by me. Not sure how useful these would be for your project.
Likewise my old Zangya(SB2) sheet, despite having the face edited to be a bit less SB2 and a bit more sexy (as best I could do with my limited ability). But the sheet I think had some extra color separation and a bunch of new sprites added, albeit a goofier stance that no one liked except me. Bojack edits and Perfect Cell edits as well that could be useful if you are interested.
http://chronostrife.herobo.com/index.php?page=spritesheets
The site host has been acting really wonky, so you may need to refresh once or twice to get the sheet images to load. If the sheet credits multiple artists credit those guys. I don't really care much about the credit to myself (chrono_strife) these days. If you need extra frames (be them a few HD-SBish conversions or EB-SBish conversion), arms or legs for frankenspriting, I have some of my newer sheets on my Trello. Which is in my sig. You can grab any parts necessary off the Nail/Piccolo(incomplete)/Perfect Cell(incomplete) sheets on there if they prove beneficial in anyway.

In addition the Android 16 character I released includes one of the 2 sprite sheets as well(I think the Mugen 1.1 version), the sprites for 16 were by Benhazard. I think the Mugen 1.0 version might be closer to an (SB2) style feel since he's slight shorter and less detailed, but again the colors would need to be modified to better match the SB1/2 style. You could probably reach out to Benhazard as well if you want to use those sprites(and just rip them from the 1.0 SFF). I'd imagine he'd be cool with it (I know he has an account here since he released his Pan beta a couple years back).

I'm not sure any of this stuff will help at all and it's cool either way. I know most of the edits I've done suck and/or just deviate way to far from the source games to the point they look more like a different game altogether, but if you see anything that might help you, please go for it!

Oh god! What did I do to his poor face! But that is actually a lot closer to the SB style than my later stuff. Although the SSj hair and those faces might need to be fixed up. If the sheets are needed I have what looks like the final SSj version(last updated in 2004 from the looks), and the original SSJ version where the belt was still orange and the hair was just SB2 Goku hair(circa 2002), doesn't look like I have the normal version on file anymore. You guys are bringing back some fun memories!

Thanks, I was going to use some your sheets for some of the newcomers and the buyuu retsuden characters. I think your edits fit in pretty well with the rest of the games sprites; I'm going to use Hyper Dimension sprites for two or three of the characters anyway, so there's a certain degree of sprite inconsistency I'll tolerate  :mtongue:

I'll ask Benhazard about the 16 sprites. As he made any other SB edits besides 16 and Pan? And do you know where I can find the Vegetto sheet you made? Even if it the face looks a bit wonky, it will still be a good base/reference for when I make my own sheet. Thanks a lot, it really helps.

#13  March 24, 2017, 07:02:24 pm
  • The Barbarian
  • Most ****able 2013
    • USA
I just uploaded the ancient Vegetto SSj sheets I still had, included both the 2002 and 2004 versions. Both sheets are pretty limited and the customs aren't very good. It's possible I had extra edits and sprites in the actual character, but I haven't had that character since probably '09 when my old hard drive crashed.
2002: http://i.imgur.com/JjTR1yk.gif
2004: http://i.imgur.com/sJzrvMf.gif

Benhazard also did the improved meatier version of the Garlic Jr sprites (which are included in the Garlic Jr Mu1.1 character I made, I believe the spritesheet is also included in the char folder. I didn't put the Benhazard version on my spritesheet page though, so that page only includes my 2 older versions of GarlicJr). I'm not sure of any other character sheets he's done besides Pan/GarlicJr/16, besides sheets for Neocide's AP-style DBZ game and some extra frames here and there for other creators/characters etc.

Looks like there were a couple extra sheets I had uploaded but never set the links too. The old Nappa sheet being one of them:
http://chronostrife.herobo.com/images/sheets/SheetNappa%20colorfix2.gif and on old incomplete Jeice sheet among some others, but TeamOS I think already made a much more complete Jeice.

I also just realized the 2002 version of Vegetto has gloves, but the wrong belt, and the 2004 version has no gloves and the corrected belt. WTF did I do back then? Hahaha. If I can find a copy of the character and send it his SFF might be the best source for his sprites at this point. I know Wasaby's old Vegetto character (Sprites by Dreamweaver IIRC) was way better and most DBZ creators used his sprite set as a base for Vegettos afterward, but I think they were conversion/edits from ShinBotuden or UB22 Goku, I don't have those ones and they might deviate a bit much from what you're going for.
Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:06:20 pm by chrono.st
#14  March 24, 2017, 07:23:54 pm
    • Germany

The char I have has normal and SSJ sprites in it, the Readme says it was finished to 50% and no one was allowed to uploaded it anywere without your permission.^^

I didn't know CHRONO_STRIFE made a Vegetto sheet, I was just going to edit SB2 Goku + edit some hyper dimension sprites 

I could extract the normal Vegetto sprites from the char and put them into a Sheet if you want, I would just use  chrono.st sheet as a base.

Btw. are you searching for sprites of some specific chars? I got some old chars from packs and now where I can't make any promises, but maybe I could help. :)

#15  March 24, 2017, 09:51:13 pm
    • Portugal
I just uploaded the ancient Vegetto SSj sheets I still had, included both the 2002 and 2004 versions. Both sheets are pretty limited and the customs aren't very good. It's possible I had extra edits and sprites in the actual character, but I haven't had that character since probably '09 when my old hard drive crashed.
2002: http://i.imgur.com/JjTR1yk.gif
2004: http://i.imgur.com/sJzrvMf.gif

Benhazard also did the improved meatier version of the Garlic Jr sprites (which are included in the Garlic Jr Mu1.1 character I made, I believe the spritesheet is also included in the char folder. I didn't put the Benhazard version on my spritesheet page though, so that page only includes my 2 older versions of GarlicJr). I'm not sure of any other character sheets he's done besides Pan/GarlicJr/16, besides sheets for Neocide's AP-style DBZ game and some extra frames here and there for other creators/characters etc.

Looks like there were a couple extra sheets I had uploaded but never set the links too. The old Nappa sheet being one of them:
http://chronostrife.herobo.com/images/sheets/SheetNappa%20colorfix2.gif and on old incomplete Jeice sheet among some others, but TeamOS I think already made a much more complete Jeice.

I also just realized the 2002 version of Vegetto has gloves, but the wrong belt, and the 2004 version has no gloves and the corrected belt. WTF did I do back then? Hahaha. If I can find a copy of the character and send it his SFF might be the best source for his sprites at this point. I know Wasaby's old Vegetto character (Sprites by Dreamweaver IIRC) was way better and most DBZ creators used his sprite set as a base for Vegettos afterward, but I think they were conversion/edits from ShinBotuden or UB22 Goku, I don't have those ones and they might deviate a bit much from what you're going for.

Thanks for the sheets! Yeah, Wasaby's Vegetto sprites don't really fit with the SB style, I might use some of them as references but I doubt I'll use them to make the character.

The char I have has normal and SSJ sprites in it, the Readme says it was finished to 50% and no one was allowed to uploaded it anywere without your permission.^^

I could extract the normal Vegetto sprites from the char and put them into a Sheet if you want, I would just use  chrono.st sheet as a base.

Btw. are you searching for sprites of some specific chars? I got some old chars from packs and now where I can't make any promises, but maybe I could help. :)

I think I have enough stuff for Vegetto now, so no need for that, but thanks anyway. As for sprites of specific chars, do you have a Kid Goku? I know someone named Pexteen made an SB styled one but all the links I find for it don't work. I know he also made a SB Gotenks and I think he made a super Buu. Other than that, I have sheets for pretty much the entire planned roster, but if you have any non-Z characters (as in, from the original db series or dbgt) that would be cool; I've wanted to add some of them but I don't have sprites. Thanks a lot!  :)
#16  March 24, 2017, 11:52:21 pm
    • Germany
I think I have enough stuff for Vegetto now, so no need for that, but thanks anyway. As for sprites of specific chars, do you have a Kid Goku? I know someone named Pexteen made an SB styled one but all the links I find for it don't work.

Do you mean this one in the last row`? I have to look but I think I still have it.

I know he also made a SB Gotenks and I think he made a super Buu.

This two?

Other than that, I have sheets for pretty much the entire planned roster, but if you have any non-Z characters (as in, from the original db series or dbgt) that would be cool; I've wanted to add some of them but I don't have sprites. Thanks a lot!  :)

I also have this GT chars or now where I can still get them.

#17  March 25, 2017, 12:36:19 am
    • Portugal
I think I have enough stuff for Vegetto now, so no need for that, but thanks anyway. As for sprites of specific chars, do you have a Kid Goku? I know someone named Pexteen made an SB styled one but all the links I find for it don't work.

Do you mean this one in the last row`? I have to look but I think I still have it.

Yup, that one exactly!

I know he also made a SB Gotenks and I think he made a super Buu.

This two?

I think it was those two, I'm not sure. Either way, they're SB styled, they will do! :mtongue:

Other than that, I have sheets for pretty much the entire planned roster, but if you have any non-Z characters (as in, from the original db series or dbgt) that would be cool; I've wanted to add some of them but I don't have sprites. Thanks a lot!  :)

I also have this GT chars or now where I can still get them.

I was hoping for an ss4 gogeta or tao pai pai, those were the two I really wanted to add, I don't need any of these. Thanks a lot! I appreciate the help! :)

#18  March 25, 2017, 12:45:49 am
  • The Barbarian
  • Most ****able 2013
    • USA
Ah yeah Pexteen/Pextin88/Goten88, I can link him to this thread via Facebook when I jump back on tonight, last I checked he still had a passion for SB stuff even though he doesn't Mugen anymore. So he'll probably be happy to see this project.

He did a brief showcase of his latest characters in this video and attributed sprite credits to who made them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6jmb2tKfFI

Kid Goku is at the start, 0:00. Sprites were by Toad. Toad left the scene probably around a decade ago. I can't speak for him, but I'd imagine he'd be okay with his sprites going to another project(I can also check in with Pextin on this), only because as I recall he was one of the people that was okay with the idea of free use/open source material even back then as long as credit was given. Plus his old DBZ aura sprites are in use all over the internet, in mugen characters, web videos, popular newgrounds serious, think I saw it quite a few commercialized videos (think i saw in that death battle series by ?ScrewAttack?, along with Neocide's Kid Buu sprites which was credited to Cyanide oddly enough).

That aside 1:00 in is his Gotenks SSj1-SSj3 whose sprites were by JediStardust. Otherwise maybe the Gotenks Lichtbringer linked. I remember that Gotenks vaguely too but I can't remember if Pextin made it. He also made a Fat Buu but I don't think he made a Super Buu, I do remember the Super Buu from LB's post, but I'm drawing a blank as too who sprited and coded the thing.

If Lichtbringer can't hook you up, I'll check my 2010-2014 PC backup on one of my harddrives. I used to DL Pextin's stuff back in the day so I should hopefully have some of it.

Haha nice! Yeah, I used to care too much about credits and such, I think those were the PackySSj5 warehouse days, where Readmes were replaced with the warehouses Readme. Plus since it was an alpha version I was always testy about that incomplete stuff getting passed around. Anything of mine that said/says 'closed/credit me/don't steal/don't upload/don't kiss my wife/etc' can be ignored anymore, as long as any other co-artists listed are respected.
#19  March 25, 2017, 09:24:28 am
    • Portugal
Ah yeah Pexteen/Pextin88/Goten88, I can link him to this thread via Facebook when I jump back on tonight, last I checked he still had a passion for SB stuff even though he doesn't Mugen anymore. So he'll probably be happy to see this project.

He did a brief showcase of his latest characters in this video and attributed sprite credits to who made them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6jmb2tKfFI

Kid Goku is at the start, 0:00. Sprites were by Toad. Toad left the scene probably around a decade ago. I can't speak for him, but I'd imagine he'd be okay with his sprites going to another project(I can also check in with Pextin on this), only because as I recall he was one of the people that was okay with the idea of free use/open source material even back then as long as credit was given. Plus his old DBZ aura sprites are in use all over the internet, in mugen characters, web videos, popular newgrounds serious, think I saw it quite a few commercialized videos (think i saw in that death battle series by ?ScrewAttack?, along with Neocide's Kid Buu sprites which was credited to Cyanide oddly enough).

That aside 1:00 in is his Gotenks SSj1-SSj3 whose sprites were by JediStardust. Otherwise maybe the Gotenks Lichtbringer linked. I remember that Gotenks vaguely too but I can't remember if Pextin made it. He also made a Fat Buu but I don't think he made a Super Buu, I do remember the Super Buu from LB's post, but I'm drawing a blank as too who sprited and coded the thing.

If Lichtbringer can't hook you up, I'll check my 2010-2014 PC backup on one of my harddrives. I used to DL Pextin's stuff back in the day so I should hopefully have some of it.

Once again, thanks a lot  :megusta: Most of the SB chars I find are old and the download links are dead. 
The Gotenks Litchtbringer linked isn't the same one as that video, and the Super buu in his post, I've seen it around credited to someone named COPYCAT, no idea if he actually sprited it though. There's a super buu in that video, but I think it's just the team os buu sprites scaled down
#20  March 25, 2017, 09:26:21 am
    • Germany
Kid Goku can still be found on MugenPL, most people just don't know how to download from there since it is a little complicated

http://mugen.pl/files/DB-goku-by-pextin.rar

They also have SSJ4 Gogeta by Bardock, I think the style is still SB enough, but his hair needs some edits.

http://mugen.pl/files/Gogeta SSJ4(mugen.pl).zip   (Copy & past the link to make the download work)

I remember that Gotenks vaguely too but I can't remember if Pextin made it. He also made a Fat Buu but I don't think he made a Super Buu, I do remember the Super Buu from LB's post, but I'm drawing a blank as too who sprited and coded the thing.

The Gotenks I postet is from him, it was one of his early chars when he still used the nick Goten88, he later removed all of his old chars and only uploaded the new ones afaik.

I'm not sure who made the Super Buu sprites I would have to check it, since most chars who use the spriteset are just spriteswaps.

mhh is there still a good free side for temporary uploads? Sprites are no problem for me I just put them on photobucked^^

But feel free to upload them if you still have them, it's not important who does it as long he gets the chars.

Haha nice! Yeah, I used to care too much about credits and such, I think those were the PackySSj5 warehouse days, where Readmes were replaced with the warehouses Readme. Plus since it was an alpha version I was always testy about that incomplete stuff getting passed around. Anything of mine that said/says 'closed/credit me/don't steal/don't upload/don't kiss my wife/etc' can be ignored anymore, as long as any other co-artists listed are respected.

Yeah the "good" old times. ;P

Edit:
Once again, thanks a lot  :megusta: Most of the SB chars I find are old and the download links are dead. 
The Gotenks Litchtbringer linked isn't the same one as that video, and the Super buu in his post, I've seen it around credited to someone named COPYCAT, no idea if he actually sprited it though. There's a super buu in that video, but I think it's just the team os buu sprites scaled down

Yea it's the one by copycat, he probably just made the sprites since the char is just a sprite swap/edit of Mech Rugal.
Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 09:44:49 am by Lichtbringer