Started by Orochi Gill, July 09, 2016, 05:00:44 am
Share this topic:
Re: Random Topic V10
#3401  August 27, 2019, 10:13:57 pm
  • Sluggo is lit
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
For fucks sake..

Where the hell are the mods? They told you to cut this shit out over and over again.

I told you I don't care and to fuck off.

Still you keep going.

Mods what the fuck?

Orochigill, jmorphman, iced. Anyone?
I'd hate to restart all this shit, given Foobs already handled this, and especially since there's another discussion going on right now, but... this requires a more forceful approach.

It would be helpful for you to remember a couple things:

- It takes two to tango; if you have someone on your ignore list, stop responding to them. Stop reading their posts. They're hidden for a reason!
 - You also received a stern warning from the moderators, and you would do well to recall that your post was the one that got deleted. You really shouldn't push this any further.

It’s interesting you say this as my gf was telling me all about it, she went last year. How clean and organized it is. I’d never fear anything negative happening ie racism etc. It’s way worse over here tbh.
I've heard some horror stories, but generally it's from people who have actually moved there and are not just visiting short-term as a tourist. It's definitely a different experience when compared to the US or elsewhere, but it does still exist.
#3402  August 27, 2019, 10:48:58 pm
    • USA

For talking, just learn. the. pronunciation. of. each. syllable. Do that once, and it never. ever. changes. There's no diphthong, no case where a vowel is pronounced a different way from completely arbitrary reason depending on the consonants next to it. Do spelling exercises, read out loud the syllables one by one. Get used to it. Learn it by heart.
No excuse for a broken reading that tries to force the English way to put the EMphaSIze on a speCIfic SYllable halfway through the word. It's not a fucking roller coaster with the volume going up and down at random. Learn to read the word with a completely flat tone and each syllable lasts the exact same duration.The only exception ever is when you're singing. Or if you're a drunken Yakuza.
(well, that's not true at all, but you really shouldn't be learning it any other way early on).
Is this what is referred to as a Kansai accent? lol
I know, not really, but when you were talking about pronunciation, made me think of that. All in all, very sound advice. Honestly trying it the cram session way has not been working for me, that feels forced. Being immersed in it however is much less stressful. I think I can really apply all of this to make it less hard on myself. Not worry so much about learning as fast as possible. Man, just thinking, never having to wait for things to localize is a dream come true ha. Man you guys have a lot of knowledge, wish you would talk about this stuff more often.

It’s interesting you say this as my gf was telling me all about it, she went last year. How clean and organized it is. I’d never fear anything negative happening ie racism etc. It’s way worse over here tbh.
I've heard some horror stories, but generally it's from people who have actually moved there and are not just visiting short-term as a tourist. It's definitely a different experience when compared to the US or elsewhere, but it does still exist.
Have you ever been? I mean, I don't really know anyones backstory, nationality, where you've been etc. What kind of stories? I used to worry about that. Why I know it kinda goes without saying that stereotypes do exist, I tend to not focus on them. I've watched a few videos on YouTube, various different people talking about their experiences(definitely never a bad idea to research where you plan to travel). I've heard stories about going to specific restaurants etc. It being split between the traditional/western influence. It's crazy how many people move there not learning the language, I couldn't do it. Also considered teaching English over there at one point. There is this one series where this guy goes around asking people what they think of foreigners etc, but again its not the entire populations generalization.

Then I play Yakuza, Judgement, etc.. lol
I know its a game, but that stuff is so cool. Funny enough, that made me look into the "real" Yakuza, documentaries and ended up learning about all that.

lui

#3403  August 27, 2019, 11:08:55 pm
    • USA
As someone who has lived in South East Asia for half my life, i can say that locals do have a certain generalized view of other ethnicites in most asian countries not really due to racism, mostly just due to the media and content surrounding said countries being displayed in various ways.

Its not always negative or positive and it never really hindered my living experiences but i always was at the very least aware of it and it wasnt something that i really forgot about. It certainly is a different experience from the US but its not always bad. It really is dependant on who you know, where you live and most importantly, *how* you interact with the area you are at
#3404  August 27, 2019, 11:16:57 pm
    • USA
Oh yeah, well you probably have way more experience then. I wouldn't want that to ruin my experience is all. I feel like its more unlikely for you to find trouble if you aren't seeking it, but obviously things do happen. You still live over there right now? How is that? What ethnicity are you?

lui

#3405  August 27, 2019, 11:44:27 pm
    • USA
Im filipino/japanese.

I was there for a while again this year actually studying in the phillipenes and vacationing in osaka. Came back around august 2nd.

Phillipenes right now is extremely hectic in the main cities moreso than usual due to protests and political stuff going on but my time there was very tiring as its very obvious who is a foreigner there and people will always ask you something about it. Children usually are excited by people from other countries which is nice, but i find that older people ask either really dumb or actually obnoxious questions, which i do know is not really out of malice so i never really took too much offense to it. It was always safer to stick in a group than be alone as my friend went out one night and had some really weird people approach him at a park alone.There was one city that actually has a law against going out too late at night and you can get fined by walking around with headphones around the town as well.

Japan was pretty much the opposite in most cases, its nice and quiet where i was at and people are more or less not really privy about what you do as long as you pretty much do what Byakko says especially in public areas such as malls or sidewalks. I found people making some really funny faces to me when i ate some food while walking one time for example.
#3406  August 28, 2019, 12:49:11 am
Is this what is referred to as a Kansai accent? lol
The Kansai thing is a dialect more than just an accent, you have actual words and conjugations that change and sound weird the first time you hear it (and have no idea what word it is), but you get used to it. This particular one was more of a rural / mumbling accent.
Honestly trying it the cram session way has not been working for me, that feels forced.
Yeah, IMO there's just way too much to learn anyway, no amount of cramming will get you everything significant. It can work for specific subjects at a time, like, learning all the vocabulary related to the work place, learning everything about how to travel. Other than that, there are lessons that you just can't get by learning on the fly, like learning the different ways to count things - and learning that there are so many ways to count things. You can't pick that up in the street, it's way too confusing to recognize the cases, you need an actual lesson for that stuff.

It was always safer to stick in a group than be alone as my friend went out one night and had some really weird people approach him at a park alone.
Hah, when I was there visiting a friend, we went to Kabukicho during the day (the red light district), it was totally normal, but when the Sun started to set, my friend was pulling my sleeve and saying "hey, we need to go now, really, right now, it's getting dark, we really need to not be there at night".

I found people making some really funny faces to me when i ate some food while walking one time for example.
Yeah, that's something that a lot of countries really don't expect, no one thinks twice about eating a quick snack while walking, but it really doesn't look good to them. You won't find trash cans because there's no need for them, you are expected to keep the sidewalk clean and not need a place to throw a plastic wrap away... Except next to vending machines, you buy it, you either put it away or you consume it on the spot and you immediately throw the bottle / wrap away.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 01:05:07 am by Byakko
#3407  August 28, 2019, 01:34:39 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
man i remember really wanting to learn japanese back in my teens because i really wanted to read an unscaned weird mecha manga called kakugo no susume. i never followed through.
my advice to you if you want to learn it; you better have a good reason to dedicate yourself to it. otherwise you're gonna drop it as soon as it gets tedious.
In my experience it's the complete opposite: only the people who have "stupid" reasons like wanting to learn Japanese because of anime or vidya eventually become fluent in the language. People who try to learn a second language because they're forced in school/college, or because they think it will look good on the resume never get anywhere.
#3408  August 28, 2019, 02:05:07 am
  • all is love in fair and war
Or they shouldn't and should keep talking about Godzilla, who is clearly a lizard and shares more dna with birds than humans 

lizard don't drag their tails around but crocodiles do and crocs are plenty in australia.

being aquatic, why doesn't godzilla evolve to have paddles for limbs instead?

same why crocs doesn't have paddles. see there's a pattern .

AHHAH, now I see the pattern, godzilla is a cross between croc and buff kangaroo :idea3:
#3409  August 28, 2019, 02:15:36 am
Which is strange because he's supposed to be a mix of gorilla and whale.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#3410  August 28, 2019, 02:24:58 am
    • Brazil
    • deathscythemugen.neocities.org
#3411  August 28, 2019, 02:29:41 am
Kakkoii, what’s your ethnicity?

You guys should post more pictures of where you live, those that live overseas.

Indonesian chinese

overseas to what? USAland?
long time ago there's a thread like that here somewhere.

Which is strange because he's supposed to be a mix of gorilla and whale.

now that s random... how did they come up with that?  both have no tails and whale has its nose on the top of its head lol... I can imagine gorilla and croc, but to me kangaroo is a better mix or perhaps bear or ground sloth

or maybe they think prehistoric whale?
Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 02:36:10 am by kakkoii superhero
#3412  August 28, 2019, 02:55:17 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Oh, why must I tell 'em again?
What must I tell 'em, my friend?
That we are born into sin
And we are worshiping murderers
Nothing but evil duplicitous men
I know you heard of 'em all
We should just murder 'em all
We should just murder and ball
We dance on the ruins we looting from all of they palace's walls
#3413  August 28, 2019, 03:23:35 am
It's what the name came from. Godzilla = Gojira = gorira + kujira = gorilla + whale. Back during the first movie draft anyway, but they changed the design without changing the name.
Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 03:26:39 am by Byakko
#3414  August 28, 2019, 03:27:17 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Well huh, learn something every day
Oh, why must I tell 'em again?
What must I tell 'em, my friend?
That we are born into sin
And we are worshiping murderers
Nothing but evil duplicitous men
I know you heard of 'em all
We should just murder 'em all
We should just murder and ball
We dance on the ruins we looting from all of they palace's walls
#3415  August 28, 2019, 03:40:30 am
Early on, Tanaka contemplated on having the monster be gorilla-like or whale-like in design due to the name "Gojira" (a combination of the Japanese words for gorilla, gorira, and whale, kujira) but eventually settled on a dinosaur-like design.
Apparently they came up with that name first, then they tried to come up with a design that matched the name, but gave up and went for the lizard. I suppose they started with the name because of the gigantism and power both animals represented, or something.
edit - oh, that's exactly it.
The name Godzilla is a romanization of the original Japanese name Gojira—which is a combination of two Japanese words: gorira (ゴリラ), "gorilla", and kujira (クジラ), "whale". The word alludes to the size, power and aquatic origin of Godzilla.
Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 03:43:59 am by Byakko
#3416  August 28, 2019, 04:30:36 am
hmm learned new thing,  this is why internet forums should not die since social medias teach me nothing.
#3417  August 28, 2019, 05:30:57 am
  • Time to give back to this place. Starting now.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
That's the power of Random Topic. Random-ass facts and stories.
#3418  August 28, 2019, 09:36:22 am
man i remember really wanting to learn japanese back in my teens because i really wanted to read an unscaned weird mecha manga called kakugo no susume. i never followed through.
my advice to you if you want to learn it; you better have a good reason to dedicate yourself to it. otherwise you're gonna drop it as soon as it gets tedious.
In my experience it's the complete opposite: only the people who have "stupid" reasons like wanting to learn Japanese because of anime or vidya eventually become fluent in the language. People who try to learn a second language because they're forced in school/college, or because they think it will look good on the resume never get anywhere.
this blog written by one of the mangastream translators talks about this subject. its very informative, i suggest you guys read it.
essentially what you described are people who are intrinsically motivated to learn the language, they're interested in it and find it enjoyable to learn.

Heaven is just a prostitute without clothes.
#3419  August 28, 2019, 04:58:34 pm

asian folks are hella racist , depending where you at of course but we won't come at you and be rude,
we'll just gawk and leer at you especially if you're black or a lanky white dude like you're a exotic animal in a zoo.
and we're racist towards each other except we don't really mind it , not that we don't care but we don't take slurs and insults seriously like westerners do. well back then we don't but now i see the reactions are very similar to americans. probably influence of media and western culture.

mainlanders call us southerns sea dogs we call them saliva droolers cause they spit all over the place,  and it's kinda true my grandfather likes to spit alot even at the dinner table.
it's amusing to learn what countries have the most creative insults against each other. asian servers games especially if it's a team game like dota or csgo you'd be frustrated if you just want to play a game and you got teamed up with indonesians and malaysians , it's ridiculous at how every game i played if there's both of them in one team they always , always fight and insult each other. it doesn't matter if your team is winning or losing they'd find whatever excuse to insult each other.

and then there's korea and japan , malaysia and indonesia it's more of a sibling rivalry thing but japan and korea oh man that's where you see real shit goes down when those two are each other's throat.
#3420  August 28, 2019, 06:10:26 pm
we don't take slurs and insults seriously like westerners do.
That's really only Americans. Scots and Irish and Brits and French (and I think Italians too and dunno about Spanish) can unload colorful insults at will all day long, and context tells you if it's serious or friendly. Aussies didn't invent the cunt.