YesNoOk

Best 80's/90's Cartoon Intro Theme (Read 13171 times)

Started by Thagr8test, August 04, 2015, 10:59:50 am
Share this topic:
Best 80's/90's Cartoon Intro Theme
#1  August 04, 2015, 10:59:50 am
    • USA
    • curiafloyd@yahoo.com
I guess you can list your top 3 if it helps my wife says hands down it was pokemon I say its between dbz's rock the dragon opening and arthur and the knights of justice. Kind of on a nostalgia trip but anyway make your case for best cartoon intro theme
Re: Best 80's/90's Cartoon Intro Theme
#2  August 04, 2015, 01:28:24 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
I'm going to try to skip the obvious ones like the Ducktales theme or the TMNT theme, which are pretty much crack in music form. In fact, none of these intros have any lyrics at all.

Goddamn this intro. One thing that I've always had a hard time explaining to people is how movies and television's best strengths are when we let the visuals do the talking. This intro is the perfect example of it. Without any words, we can tell what kind of hero Batman is, why he's feared, and just what we can expect from watching the series. It's beautiful.

This accomplishes the same thing as Batman, but it does so in a totally different way. While Batman's is much more minimalist, X-Men is just EXPLODING with action, and making the action look as 3D as possible. The character name cards also work well, giving you a little insight on the character's powers and their personalities (my personal fave is Beast reading a book and then jumping into the screen). And finally, the close basically gives you the premise in SECONDS. It tells you everything you should know before you get started, and it gets you excited for what's coming next. Excellent.

Wow, a non-super hero cartoon intro. And once again its presentation is totally different from the last two. X-Men and Batman set the ground rules on what's humanly possible in their universe. Beetlejuice's intro, however, says "fuck ground rules" and just oozes with creativity. It messes with perspective, mixes 3D graphics with 2D, and on top of that is just so fluidly animated in stretch and squash style. I used to watch this show religiously as a kid, and while the show is totally forgettable looking back at it, this intro is still probably one of my favorites of all time.
#3  August 04, 2015, 01:47:17 pm
  • No guts No glory..
Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 01:59:40 pm by dampir
#4  August 04, 2015, 01:55:10 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Special credit has to be given to the Samurai Pizza Cats theme song.  To cut costs, the producers of the dub just made one of their writers sing the theme instead of hiring an actual singer.  He showed up to the studio drunk, sang the whole thing in a terrible Paul Lynde impression, got the words wrong, and only bothered to do a single take.  And the best thing is that they still ended up using it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXiJYcK4-GU
Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:32:42 pm by Person Man
#5  August 04, 2015, 01:58:30 pm
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
#6  August 04, 2015, 02:01:30 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - TatariZane2009
Keep in mind that the last 2 intros of the shows I'm going to post had their final seasons in the 2000s, but began in the mid-late 90s, so idk if it still counts.

For a, I think, parody of the superhero show, it did a good job to keep me hooked for the episode. The music, the lyrics, basically everything. "Let's get Dangerous" indeed.

This show is pretty fun to watch, but sometimes got into weird territories (not naming some episodes). But for what it had in the intro, it got me hooked for what's going to happen. Music was fast on the lyrics, but it's enough to give me an idea for what I'm in for.

This one doesn't even have any lyrics, but damn the atmosphere setted up in the intro is what got me hooked. And for a "Batman of the Future" show, it did the job well on how gritty the episodes are going to be. Short, but sweet.
#7  August 04, 2015, 02:26:54 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Keep in mind that the last 2 intros of the shows I'm going to post had their final seasons in the 2000s, but began in the mid-late 90s, so idk if it still counts.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa3wlWzLli0[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMXjtvMAFlI[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZGN9fZvQhc[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XJ3HJXxDwc[/youtube]
Goddamn this intro. One thing that I've always had a hard time explaining to people is how movies and television's best strengths are when we let the visuals do the talking. This intro is the perfect example of it. Without any words, we can tell what kind of hero Batman is, why he's feared, and just what we can expect from watching the series. It's beautiful.

Most of my favorites. ^_^

For me I guess I'd add:

Transformers Armada:

DuckTales:

Totally aware that Transformers Armada doesn't count, but this was the only Transformers show I watched, and the only 90s cartoon(s) I remember vividly watching were DuckTales, Batman, Amazing Spiderman, and Darkwing Duck sooooo, whatever.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

This is a generic forum signature.
#8  August 04, 2015, 02:36:40 pm
  • Unrealistic Reality
  • ______________________
    • USA
Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:39:51 pm by Insigniawarfare
#9  August 04, 2015, 02:46:55 pm
Pinocchio the series:

Tintin:

Angela Anaconda:
Feel free to use my account:
Username: GTAguy
Password: imanigger
#10  August 04, 2015, 02:46:55 pm
    • USA
I got beat at most of them so instead I'll just post one that has yet to be posted :P

#11  August 04, 2015, 02:52:16 pm
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
Action League Now
I can't be the only one that loved this show. Not QUITE a cartoon but fuck it.
Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 12:55:26 am by Orochi Gill
#12  August 04, 2015, 02:59:21 pm
    • USA
    • curiafloyd@yahoo.com
actually I mentioned some of these in the debate but we broke it down into three key factors 1) presentation 2) song/theme 3) does it get you hyped up for the show now arthur and the knights was a ok show but the intro kicked ass and dbz for me personally was on a totally different level so if the question was best cartoon then batman would be a strong leader but as far as intro's go in my case it was dbz. Tmnt, xmen, and mega man were awesome as well to name a few just seems like that was a major part of any show in that time period pulling kids in with the intro. Based on those three criteria can you nail it down to a definitive number one choice?

https://youtu.be/S9kN0pct-Q8
Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 04:15:19 am by Thagr8test
#13  August 04, 2015, 04:27:00 pm
my favorite cartoon intro from the past:
this an old anime about a pro wrestler called Tiger Mask, the song was dubbed but it's not very different from the original Japanese one. everytime i play it i get goosebumps. it so good.

edit: WTF! no Ghostbuster?? here's both the movie version and the cartoon's:
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 04:53:14 pm by Gennos
#14  August 04, 2015, 04:39:18 pm
  • SNK is life
This one was way more epic in spanish, but you gotta admit, that's a great guitar solo by Bluegrass :P

#15  August 04, 2015, 05:17:11 pm
    • Germany
I always liked Saber Rider.

#16  August 04, 2015, 05:22:17 pm
  • Madman
  • Honorary Asshole
the manliest intro ever

ok that the cartoon sucked, but this one was awesome

#17  August 04, 2015, 07:10:45 pm
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina
Not necessarily my favorite intro, but I'm surprised no one mentioned it.

#18  August 04, 2015, 07:23:39 pm
i cant listen to the ducktales theme anymore without being reminded of a recent slightly racist parody
#19  August 04, 2015, 07:56:17 pm
    • Germany
#20  August 04, 2015, 08:00:27 pm
  • M.U.G.E.N 4 LIFE!
    • USA
    • suliofthenerdvaid@gmail.com
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwd0KXNN1f_sVI80PHAnWdA
I can't believe u guys forgot about this intro